Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Davincie posted:

if i wanted to see bad philosophy, id put on any anime which quotes schrodingers cat, so about 50% of them
if you want to lose respect for a person show them ergo proxy and if they think it's deep welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
A "special preview" of Black Fox is up on CR, which uhh seems like either the first episode of a TV anime or the first half hour of a movie, hard to say

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

A "special preview" of Black Fox is up on CR, which uhh seems like either the first episode of a TV anime or the first half hour of a movie, hard to say

It's both, kinda. Blackfox was originally conceived is as a full cour anime, but due to the original director working on another show simultaneously that encountered its own production issues, it was delayed and reworked into a movie that covers the same material the first 6 eps or so of the anime would have covered.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also going to be simulcast on Crunchy the day the movie hits theaters in Japan.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Relin posted:

if you want to lose respect for a person show them ergo proxy and if they think it's deep welp
I mean it is but only after the gameshow episode where it goes from a crap show to a good show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Relin posted:

the important ergo proxy takeaways:
- there are a handful of really good eps scattered in the middle/end
- pino

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

the important ergo proxy takeaways:
- there are a handful of really good eps scattered in the middle/end
- pino

vincent is moe

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The real reason to watch/buy Granblue Fantasy Season 2

https://twitter.com/granblue_en/status/1177625853833990145

https://twitter.com/granblue_en/status/1177637327792943109

(It's going to work on me cause Vira)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

to make gacha feel even scummier is a powerful ability

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Whoever was complaining about Danmachi, you're out of luck, as it's getting a third season to build Bell an even bigger and more annoying harem I guess.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...r_facebook_news
But now I get to poo poo on it harder with everyone else! :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

to make gacha feel even scummier is a powerful ability

I mean here you're actually exhanging money for goods and services instead of GBF's minuscule rateups.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

I mean here you're actually exhanging money for goods and services instead of GBF's minuscule rateups.

there is no real logic to the feeling

it's just further dangling attractive gacha things behind a $300 buy-in or whatever it comes out to, is an additional bad thing i guess

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Is the term 'gacha' based on 'gotcha', or is that just a crazy coincidence?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is the term 'gacha' based on 'gotcha', or is that just a crazy coincidence?

Probably a coincidence.

It's derived from "Gashapon", a combination of the Japanese onomatopoeia for the cranking action of a vending machine and the onomatopoeia for the toy falling in the tray.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Whenever I read the word gacha, my mind immediately plays the theme to Figu@Mate, a VN only notable in 2019 for its OP being in the Kumikyoku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niJdV4QUFaU

Gacha gacha cu~te, figyu atto~

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

its not but the dismissive way dudes who have only ever seen psycho pass s2 talk about ubakata sucks

There's not really more you need to say beyond "He complete failed to parse the concepts of Psycho Pass", because he's continuing another person's work rather than his own.

There are some legit decent ideas in the first half of the season, but once the big dramatic heel-face-turn that you can see coming a mile away happens it all gets flushed right down the toilet and gets stupider with every episode. It's not even a decent reveal either considering one of the Sybil processors is his mom and somehow gets free reign to run her schemes even though the system's meant to self-regulate and be a collective hive mind. And their dynamic's creepy of course :barf:.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hi Score Girl S2? Fuuuuucccccckkkkk yessssss!

Sucks that about all the series I liked in Summer were on HiDive or whatever and I haven't seen them. But this season seems pretty meh

Will probably just discover something 5 years old (Like Amagi Brilliant Park)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Psycho Pass Season 3 is Amazon Prime exclusive :shrug:

The characters being given guaranteed for purchasing the Blu-ray is actually pretty good for gacha games, though also manipulative given that they are using popular characters

(I'm going to get the Vira one so I can match evening wear Vira with Katalina on a team)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Psycho Pass Season 3 is Amazon Prime exclusive :shrug:

Amazon Prime gets the first episode a day ahead of the regular broadcast, then they get the other episodes after each one's broadcast.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Finished Mom Isekai and the last episode had enough funny bits for me to say that this show is more Good than it is Bad if you're someone who doesn't mind nearly constant cheesecake.

someone please make me a gif avatar of the bit where it goes to horror for a minute and there's the quick cuts of a million mamakos

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Davincie posted:

if i wanted to see bad philosophy, id put on any anime which quotes schrodingers cat, so about 50% of them

One of the few actually good bits of When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace is the chuuni main character winning a trivia contest where all the answers are things like Schrodinger's Cat, Gungnir, Gaia Theory...

What really makes it funny is that I'm pretty sure the Index/Railgun franchise has mentioned basically all of those concepts at some point, and the Index author seems to have misunderstood at least half of them.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 28, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Silver2195 posted:

One of the few actually good bits of When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace is the chuuni main character winning a trivia contest where all the answers are things like Schrodinger's Cat, Gungnir, Gaia Theory...

What really makes it funny is that I'm pretty sure the Index/Railgun franchise has mentioned basically all of those concepts at some point, and the Index author seems to have misunderstood at least half of them.
To be fair, Kazuma Kamachi might secretly be an esper, so the more he rejects reality, the more he writes. :v:

And yes, pretty much everything mentioned in that trivia contest comes up as a story element or is mentioned in the Raildexelerator novels/manga.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Raildex's writing is so bad, even when it stars Accelerator it's barely watchable.

The only good part of the franchise is the spinoff about the lead girl in Mental Out's harem

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The thing that I remember from watching season 1 of index was that anything involving the magic side of things in that series was absolutely terrible, and the psychic stuff was way more watchable even if it wasn't exactly great.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I only watched Joshikousei and Araburu in summer season, did I miss anything worthwhile?

btw those two shows were freaking great.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

machikado mazoku was the summer AOTS

astra and granbelm were pretty good too

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

machikado mazoku was the summer AOTS

Yeah, I loved the marriage proposal offer to team up marriage proposal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

Raildex's writing is so bad, even when it stars Accelerator it's barely watchable.

The only good part of the franchise is the spinoff about the lead girl in Mental Out's harem
railgun is great, index is okay

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The thing that I remember from watching season 1 of index was that anything involving the magic side of things in that series was absolutely terrible, and the psychic stuff was way more watchable even if it wasn't exactly great.
With Index is kind of a crapshoot more than anything. While I was still a lurker of these here forums about a decade ago (mid-to-late 2010, around the time Index S2 started airing and the novels finished it's first "part") and there was a thread called "Kuroko Appreciation Station" or something of that ilk, a goon pretty more or less summed it up (paraphrasing, of course):

Wark's incredibly faulty memory posted:

"Pretty much every other story arc/volume that chooses to concentrate on Magic Side Hijinks tends to stumble before long. Of the three protags, Misaka and Accelerator often have the better arcs because Academy City/Science Side feels like a much more interesting setting than whatever globe-trotting mages come knockin' around at A.C. could bring"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The non-filler Railgun episodes are genuinely good. That said I really enjoyed quite a few arcs of Index, the plot twists and villain motivations were often so dumb they became amazing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Railgun is helped by having a small(ish) cast to focus on who are always involved in one way or another with the main plot, as opposed to Index which hops all over the place and can forget entire characters exist for seasons/novels at a time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've seen neither but Railgun has the good song so it wins

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The season 2 finale arc was definitely the high point of Index for me. Everything came together in a way that was absurd but which sortof made sense and the villain joined the Catholic church and vowed to destroy all science because her brother died in a rollercoaster accident

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

At the start of the summer season I wasn't expecting Demon Girl Next door to be the anime of the season but welp here it is, winning out with Symphogear a close but still number 2. Gambette Shamiko and Momo

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The season 2 finale arc was definitely the high point of Index for me. Everything came together in a way that was absurd but which sortof made sense and the villain joined the Catholic church and vowed to destroy all science because her brother died in a rollercoaster accident

Yeah, Index has some really stupid villain motivations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, Index has some really stupid villain motivations.
It also has some really, really horrifying ones. Poor Brunhild. :cry:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hosed up since i made the thread but i'd give machikado like a 7. i like yuko and momo's dynamic and mikan is a fun character but it really, really feels like a partial adaptation of an ongoing manga that hasn't really hit its stride yet and it kinda felt like it was dragging its feet in some of the second half, and the final episode is just kind of a return to the status quo that turns its most interesting moment into another gag. it really needs another season to pull everything together into something more interesting, because in trying to be a mix of a regular sol show and something that goes a bit heavier on ongoing plot threads it only felt like, 1/3 of a story

i am interested in seeing where the manga goes though

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 28, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ah, shame, felt like I'd seen people be a lot higher on it than that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

Ah, shame, felt like I'd seen people be a lot higher on it than that.

i mean it's totally worth watching

i just, wouldn't call it the best show of the season. it felt like a new game s1, an okay kirara anime that hasn't really clicked into what could make it really good yet. there's some good stuff there that i had fun watching it for, it just needs tighter writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'd rate it above most 1-season kirara shows. these series always get better in season 2 if they get one.