Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ELO Musk posted:

This sound about right?

Looks about right to me, although I might bump the numbers up for inflation since 2005.

There's no "middle middle class", though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Mellow Seas posted:

I think it's pretty unquestionable that Bernie's opinion of "what's too rich" is higher than this thread's.

He seems to be a fan of this "1%" number. I know it's largely symbolic, and used because it's catchy and memorable, but it's a good starting place to suss out his views on the matter.

If you feed the richest 1% to the guillotine there's still a richest 1% to feed in later if that wasn't enough.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

buddhist nudist posted:

If you feed the richest 1% to the guillotine there's still a richest 1% to feed in later if that wasn't enough.

It's like tapas, only for the guillotine.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What even is upper middle class? 60k, 80k?

Upper middle class are professionals who make $150-500k.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Thoguh posted:

One defense I've seen is 'There's no evidence that it helped her' as if that was the bar that needed to be cleared rather than 'there is concrete evidence that it made no difference or was even a negative'.

Except there is evidence that it helped her. At the time, Harvard was facing a discrimination lawsuit for its lily-white hiring practices, and they were seeking out non-white professors and staff to help them with the hit their image was taking. After being hired, Warren was touted as the first tenured woman of colour at the institution. After that, references to her status as a native american within Harvard were frequent.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ELO Musk posted:

This sound about right?

"working class" is literally anyone who works for a living and isn't in management, so no.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Slay the incomes or they will slay us all! - Yang 2020

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ELO Musk posted:

This sound about right?

i guess this is what the people with those education levels should be making. cause i got a masters degree but fall in the working class pay range

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ELO Musk posted:

This sound about right?

Welp. I guess I'm on the high end of upper middle class. Do I guillotine myself or...

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gatts posted:

Welp. I guess I'm on the high end of upper middle class. Do I guillotine myself or...

don't worry, someone will be by to do it for you if you wait

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"I don't understand why my political movement that involves murdering 30% of the population won't catch on!"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mellow Seas posted:

Obviously it's worse because Dukakis did nothing wrong except be short and agree to wear an overly large helmet. Has it been debunked, though, that those goofy-rear end pictures had a marked effect on the 1988 election? (I mean, it seems like the kind of thing that would be bullshit, but I've heard it enough in my life and I think polling backed it up.)

What Warren did, by virtue of being actually bad, was much worse than 1) John Kerry serving honorably in a war, or 2) Obama picking the wrong church to pander to south siders by attending. Or probably fuckin' 3) Whitewater. But all three of those things became gigantic campaign issues. And if Bernie wins the nomination we will hear a lot about his Soviet vacation, or some other ticky tacky bullshit we don't even know about yet.

What Bernie did wasn't wrong, but will voters see it that way? To boomers, they were taught that the USSR was the greatest evil in the world, and that Indians were fun fantasy creatures from the Tee Vee. Who knows what would resonate with them more, or what the comparative effect would be on different age demographics? In contrast, email was probably more effective on boomers because they don't understand computer poo poo well and it's easy to make anything technological sound nefarious to them.

An entire six months of right wingers putting on headdresses and doing Indian chants would be loving gross and unbearable, and easily worse and more offensive than what Warren did, even if what she did was bad. But if "nobody cares" and it's "just being used as a rallying cry", then is it going to have a big effect on the polls? I mean, my gut says that it would be very bad for Warren electorally, but I'm just some guy with the standard lapsed-Catholic liberal guilty conscience. I always expect bad things to happen in politics.

Where was I going with this... right. People like to say around here all the time that you shouldn't choose candidates or policy positions based on how conservatives will respond to them, because they'll always find some way to talk poo poo that the media will gladly pick up and amplify. We should be voting for the candidate who has the best policies and would actually make the best president. That's Bernie anyway.

If we want to look at the Native issues as a moral issue, that's legitimate. If we talk about the effect it would have on the general election... that's the definition of an electability argument. I personally don't find it disqualifying as a moral issue, just troubling. As an electoral issue, nobody really knows what will resonate with the masses. People can disagree.

This is absolute garbage right here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

"I don't understand why my political movement that involves murdering 30% of the population won't catch on!"

Works fine for Republicans when they try it. Although, they do want to murder a higher percentage....

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

But Trump was elected?

e:f,b

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Chilichimp posted:

"working class" is literally anyone who works for a living and isn't in management, so no.

So, “middle class” would be management and “upper middle class” would be VPs and C-levels?

Because I don’t actually see a problem with sending everyone that’s VP or higher at Amazon/Wal-Mart off to the guillotine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mellow Seas posted:

Don't post Hillary's diary.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

very cool

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Hey

the absolute last thing this dumpster thread needs is a pile of goons shuffling in to report their income or whatever.

Thanks in advance

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Upper middle class are professionals who make $150-500k.

Someone making 490k a year is middle class to you? Lol

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

Hey

the absolute last thing this dumpster thread needs is a pile of goons shuffling in to report their income or whatever.

Thanks in advance

Lets all post our tax returns in a move of solidarity, dammit

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calibanibal posted:

Hey

Thanks in advance

But, no, really, a very good sincerepost from Calibanibal.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This is abhorrent. What's going on and will happen in Kashmir is terrible. Tulsi is pure nutjob to support Modi. But we already knew she was nuts from her history.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Nonsense posted:

Also none of you are upper-middle class.

some of the warrenists itt prob are

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Chilichimp posted:

Agreed. There are some technical specialties, like airline/helicopter pilot, that make $70k+ and doesn't require a college degree, though a degree is a plus.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Calibanibal posted:

Hey

Thanks in advance

No this is the humblebrag about being a rich goon thread now

mods please move the thread to BFC

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Warren ancestry stuff keeps getting worse

https://twitter.com/AlytaDeLeon/status/1178019629102505986?s=19

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

"We I personally don't find this morally disqualifying and there's NO POSSIBLE WAY to predict whether the public will find this objectionable!"

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

This is troubling.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

this was further down the tweet chain

https://twitter.com/AlytaDeLeon/status/1178021303808352256?s=20

i thought warren was supposed to be working class growing up, but her parents were both the scions of businessmen (also, not native american and didn't have to hide their marriage).

quote:

Warren’s parents were married in 1932 in a church not far from their home town by a respected and prominent pastor, who was unlikely to have performed ceremonies for runaways seeking to elope. The witness on the marriage certificate was a family friend of Warren’s mother, not some stranger rounded up by the pastor at the last minute for an unexpected elopement.

The young couple then immediately returned home where their marriage was announced in the local paper in a celebratory fashion, with extensive descriptions of the prominence of the two families in the local business community. Perhaps most important, the announcement mentions that the marriage was a surprise to many of the young couple’s friends, but said nothing about it being a surprise to family.

The marriage of Donald Herring and Miss Pauline Reed, two of Wetumka’s most popular young people, came as a surprise to many of their friend when they returned from Holdenville late Saturday afternoon and announced their marriage.

Both of the young people were reared in Wetumka and are popular members of the younger set.

Specifically as to Warren’s mother, the announcement detailed:

Mrs. Herring is the daughter of H.G. Reed, building contractor of this city, and has always been prominent in the social and church activities of the younger people and being a gifted singer has identified herself with the music lovers of the community.

The announcement then indicated that the couple are returning separately to their respective colleges for the next semester, and concluded:

The Gazette joins a host of friends in wishing for these young people a long and happy life together.

Barnes correctly asks:

If Ms. Warren’s parents eloped due to her mother being “Cherokee and Delaware” and it was such a disgrace, why did they rush back to Wetumka the same day they were married and proudly announce it to everyone? If there was shame associated with the marriage and it caused so many problems, why was it happily announced in the local paper and why did the town seem to celebrate the marriage of the two popular young people? Though a surprise to their friends, the excitement and happiness that seemed to show in the announcement makes one think it may have been a small ceremony typical during the Great Depression.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 28, 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

lol amazing. "Sure I'd call myself black if my grandparents were a different kind of racist."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Well she's a former Republican by today's standards at least.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

this stuff about warren is crazy. she lied about her parents having to elope and her mom being native american, rancor between the two families, and having native heritage at all

i thought that she was just incurious about her supposed "heritage" and racistly just using it as a fashion item, but I cannot see how she would possibly believe she was native american considering all this. according to legal insurrection, the members of the cherokee nation were flat out telling her she was not native american 6 years ago, so her lack of interest in actually verifying her supposed heritage is only more damning .

the thing that bewilders me the most is why she both took a DNA test and later paraded around the results? was she afraid the lie was catching up to her and she was glad that there was a drop of native american heritage according to shoddy dna testing?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 28, 2019

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm much softer on Warren than most of the posters itt but I'll be honest, I really don't understand her plan here. Why would she invent a fake story about her parents eloping

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Condiv posted:

this stuff about warren is crazy. she lied about her parents having to elope and her mom being native american, rancor between the two families, and having native heritage at all

the thing that bewilders me the most is why she both took a DNA test and later paraded around the results? was she afraid the lie was catching up to her and she was glad that there was a drop of native american heritage according to shoddy dna testing?

Most likely these are family tales that grew in the telling and Warren is just willing to believe what she's told. There probably was some beef between the two branches of the family and the story about the elopement got mixed up in family squabbles and before you know it a boring story about normal small-town events becomes a wholly fabricated tale about love triumphing over racism.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Warren held a rally today at Clinton College, one of South Carolina's HBCUs.

Presented without comment, a line of attendees waiting for the venue to open.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MegKinnardAP/status/1178019483929190401

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Calibanibal posted:

I'm much softer on Warren than most of the posters itt but I'll be honest, I really don't understand her plan here. Why would she invent a fake story about her parents eloping

You lie, you lie to protect the previous lie, you lie to protect the previous lieyou lie to protect the previous lie,you lie to protect the previous lie,you lie to protect the previous lie...

Source: literally in therapy to stop doing this

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Most likely these are family tales that grew in the telling and Warren is just willing to believe what she's told. There probably was some beef between the two branches of the family and the story about the elopement got mixed up in family squabbles and before you know it a boring story about normal small-town events becomes a wholly fabricated tale about love triumphing over racism.

the thing is that even before the dna tests, there were members of the cherokee nation who did the geneology work showing she's not cherokee. it's not like she wasn't being challenged on her native american heritage even back in 2012 so was she just so incurious she didn't bother to look into it for 7 years? did she never look at the evidence put together against her story and try to refute the story? this is apparently not a new issue, nor is any of this new information, so why did she continue to say she was cherokee without evidence until a 2019 dna test showed she absolutely wasn't at all?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

About the same a Bernie stan feels for being in the same camp as someone who wants to literally guillotine the upper middle class...

I don't like... care much? Some rich dumbass spouting bullshit on a cable news network isn't why I'd vote for Warren, and it certainly isn't why I wouldn't.

I don't think you could be any dumber but you continue to surprise me

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow Seas posted:

I think you'll find most people are working class and open to left wing ideas, you loving bootlicker

Sure, leftist ideas may not be popular with bougie idiots like you but I think you're gonna end up surprised when you get the guillotine

Plus it's a little bit hypocritical for you to whine like this when libs like you support mass poverty, exploitation, and the death of millions via capitalism and imperialism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Streak posted:

Lmao Elizabeth Warren sucks poo poo and if you defend her you're an idiot.