Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I wandered onto our deck yesterday and cane back inside with more green beans than I could hold--and those are only the ones I spotted while essentially standing in place by our garden. Just tons of them, beautiful and tasty even out of hand. I'm going back in there today if the weather holds up to get more beans, salvage some tomatoes, check on the celery, and weed the poo poo out of it. Also prune the neighbors' rangy-rear end tree that's shading stuff way too much on our side of the fence.

Also, this is a little unidentified fairy-garden type of plant I picked up the other day. The label just says "rear end't foliage," and my go-to ID app has no clue. The leaves are slightly fleshy. Any ideas? It seems happy with minimal light and occasional watering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Hirayuki posted:

I wandered onto our deck yesterday and cane back inside with more green beans than I could hold--and those are only the ones I spotted while essentially standing in place by our garden. Just tons of them, beautiful and tasty even out of hand. I'm going back in there today if the weather holds up to get more beans, salvage some tomatoes, check on the celery, and weed the poo poo out of it. Also prune the neighbors' rangy-rear end tree that's shading stuff way too much on our side of the fence.

Also, this is a little unidentified fairy-garden type of plant I picked up the other day. The label just says "rear end't foliage," and my go-to ID app has no clue. The leaves are slightly fleshy. Any ideas? It seems happy with minimal light and occasional watering.

It looks like a crassula - maybe Crassula multicava (aka fairy crassula)

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Looks a bit like Soleirolia soleirolii. I've got a big planter of it growing in my bathroom, and it too does not need a lot of light or water.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

Oh hey that's a coleus!* I love them - they're beautiful plants. You've done a great job with that one. They do tend to get a little leggy after a while. People either give them something to climb, or they pinch them back, or cut the tender part of the stems back and root the cuttings (easily) in water. As long as it gets enough light and water, it will probably go on forever. I was in a restaurant once where they had one that had been given a chickenwire form to climb, and it was about 12 feet high and three across.

*I've read that the genus has been reassigned to Plectranthus, but everybody will know what you mean if you call it coleus.

[edit to add that coleus needs light, but does not like direct sun]

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm glad I'm raising it well. :3: I've got a tomato cage that would be just perfect for this!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Hello I have been gardening

This ugly child of mine is the result of planting a bunch of fruit trees and shrubs in our grey water, realising the grey water system spits out WAY too much water for them to use, and planting a bunch of poo poo for the roos in there as well. I trenched around the fruit trees and threw a bunch of soup mix, sunflower seeds and corn seeds around a couple of seedlings (chamomile, comfrey, salvia and some zucchini I think? I dunno I just dig the holes) We ran out of the good hoop pine mulch, hence the ugly as poo poo look to it but hopefully when I pick up some more tomorrow and put in a few stepping stones it’ll start to look real good.

This is the front garden, gets hosed on less by wildlife so less edible stuff and more ornamentals. I don’t know what any of this stuff. I am not allowed to make decisions about the front garden bc it requires very few holes dug.

If I am murdered, I want you to report this frog to the police

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Those are nice.

In your front picture, those nasturtiums can be used in salads etc for peppery flavour (kind of like a weak horseradish).

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YaUGDSDrqs

Really enjoyed this recent lecture on the benefits of native plants and all the good reasons to plant them.Obviously very NC focused but can be applied all over similar climates. I think it's a great watch for any plant nerd

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Brought my patio plants inside for the winter. Bought a washing machine pan for a drip tray.

If anyone in New Jersey wants a snake plant, come get one, mine has been pupping like crazy. I started with one in April, now I have 8. They go nuts when you give them space to grow.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 27, 2019

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

was a good summer to be in freedom garden (mostly coriander, rosemary, spearmint) 👍 (more mature coriander snaking along the bottom left edge)

thinking about growing some kind of flowering plant next, just because we get so many mosquitoes and want more predators to eat them

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Fig tree question for you all.
I have some first year Chicago hardy fig cuttings in pots at the moment. We are getting close to our first frost of the season, should happen sometime in the next two weeks. I know that they are hardy down to -10 F, but I assume that is when they are in the ground. When should I bring them into the garage? I'm assuming after the leaves fall, but I've heard they need frost days to fruit, do I need to worry about that for next year?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the leaves have fallen off, they are ready to go into the garage. They don’t need further chill.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Oil of Paris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YaUGDSDrqs

Really enjoyed this recent lecture on the benefits of native plants and all the good reasons to plant them.Obviously very NC focused but can be applied all over similar climates. I think it's a great watch for any plant nerd

gently caress yeah native plants! I've been planting nodding onion, three kinds of local ferns, camas, columbines and a few wildflowers of varying regionality (echinacea is more of a prairie plant, but seems to do OK here).

Gonna try my hand at some fern cultivation this Autumn.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Concerning growing succulents indoors, do I need to adjust my watering / lighting in terms of a dormancy period? I've got my lights set to a timer that turns on at sunup and off at sundown, and I wonder if I need to adjust those manually.

Unrelated, what plant is this? I bought a random packet of succulent seeds, and another one of these is growing, and I'm curious what the hell I'm growing. Forgive the quality and placement.

(fake edit, I'll change it if this winds being autorotated on me)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

If the leaves have fallen off, they are ready to go into the garage. They don’t need further chill.

I replaced a big living room window of mine and had to transplant a "small" established fig I had in front of it that still had the leaves on, I hope its ok :/ I was going to ask here first but I needed to move it so it is what it is.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My fig (not a Chicago Hardy, so it does need to come in before frost) alarms my husband by dropping every last leaf when I bring it inside, but the leaves always grow back; sometimes it even fruits. It does this with...well, not regularity, but often enough that it doesn't faze me anymore. I think it's just fussy and resistant to change.

I really need to repot that thing. It's listing really badly, even with a stake. :(

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Wanting to plant a row of flowering bushes in my back yard for pollinators and my kids to play around. The yard will get full sun and we live in zone 7a, so I'm thinking of butterfly bushes, lilac, camellia, and spirea.

Anyone have any experience with them or any other suggestions?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

ReapersTouch posted:

Wanting to plant a row of flowering bushes in my back yard for pollinators and my kids to play around. The yard will get full sun and we live in zone 7a, so I'm thinking of butterfly bushes, lilac, camellia, and spirea.

Sea Holly is pretty, likes full sun, and is apparently like catnip to polinators.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

ReapersTouch posted:

What is your zone and are you opposed to perennials in addition to the bushes?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

MisterBibs posted:

Unrelated, what plant is this? I bought a random packet of succulent seeds, and another one of these is growing, and I'm curious what the hell I'm growing. Forgive the quality and placement.

Looks like the same sort of plant I needed ID for earlier in the thread, which ended up being a gladiolus?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

ReapersTouch posted:

Most of those are foreign cultivars so while they feed generalist pollinators, it would be better for the environment to plant natives. For example, if you are referring to Buddeleia genus for butterfly bush, it's not recommended in the USA as it tends to be invasive here. What state are you in? There are lots of varieties of native shrubs that will flower or have otherwise lovely foliage (berries, etc).

I just put a buttonbush and a spicebush in zone 6b (KY).

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

I'm in central Oklahoma and I wouldn't mind perennials. We have one milkweed in our front yard that is doing great, so we plan on putting alot of them on the other side of the yard where the utilities are buried, where they would get alot of sun also.

It's a new neighborhood, so houses are the only thing that would block the sun.

Also, nothing with really toxic berries, I got 2 young children and a dog.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ReapersTouch posted:

I’m much further south/coastal than you, but in my experience spirea is totally bulletproof.

Camellias japonica is possibly my favorite shrub and very nice but slow growing and usually needs some shade to get going. Not sure I’ve noticed pollinators on them really, but they bloom in winter here. Camellia sasanqua are faster growing, and the bees definitely love them and they can take more sun. They bloom in the fall. Both need fairly acidic soil like azaleas and like to be planted a little high. They will not tolerate poor drainage and are probably going to need pretty regular water their first summer or two especially if they’re in the sun. Not sure about winter hardiness where you are, but my aunt used to grow them in central Virginia. In general sasanquas are much more hardy and vigorous than japonicas.

Pollinators definitely like blueberries, and they can make a nice shrub. Flowers in spring, nice red foliage in fall, and delicious berries in early summer. If you can grow azaleas in your area, pollinators love them too. Native ones especially, but all make a lot of nectar. They and blueberries also require acidic soil as well (see a trend here? I live in a swamp made of tannic/acidic live oak leaves). Abelia also is always covered in butterflies and blooms all summer-mix it in with spirea and blueberries and you get white flowers for months

Butterflies and bees love zinnias. Super easy to grow annuals-just scratch up some bare dirt and throw some seeds on top, scratch the dirt again and water for a week or so. My phlox and plumbago also always have butterflies on them, and phlox is perennial. Plumbago is perennial here but barely and doubt it would be much north of here.

Best thing for pollinators (and just gardening in general imo) is to try and always have something blooming throughout the growing season. Drive around the old part of town at different times of the year and see what’s blooming. Nobody gardens like people used to, so you can be guaranteed whatever is growing there is very happy in your area, and can tolerate being completely ignored.

sucka
Jan 13, 2008
i pout alot
Hi

This plant is 2 plants woven together which I purchased from a local supermarket.

What is it, why are its leaves going black, how do I look after it properly?

Thank you for help

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If the flowers smell like heaven, it’s a gardenia. It sure looks like one. They are a bit finicky to grow-I’ve never heard of them being grown indoors, but they can be grown outside here, so that my be why nobody grows them indoors here.

Are there tiny black bugs on it? They can get thrip problems pretty bad that make the flowers yellow very quickly and there is a nutrient deficiency I can’t remember that they are prone to that might be causing the yellowing/blackening leaves. A little bit of a complete fertilizer like miracle grow might help. They don’t like to stay super wet either. I dunno what your watering schedule looks like for it, but let the soil dry out a bit between waterings. They are evergreen, but they do also just drop leaves naturally throughout the year.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

sucka posted:

Hi

This plant is 2 plants woven together which I purchased from a local supermarket.

What is it, why are its leaves going black, how do I look after it properly?

Thank you for help

That is a gardenia.

here’s an article on possible causes. http://southernlivingplants.com/steve-bender/article/black-leaves-big-problems

If you don’t find evidence of those bugs, then I would at least put it outside in part shade to give it air circulation and some decent sun to help gently caress up pathogens

Edit: Once you get it outside, cut off those black leaves

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 29, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I’ve just put a red kangaroo paw and a lemon myrtle in the ground, taking a break from the heat and then I’m going back out to put a mango tree and another mulberry bush in. I’m putting netting around the mulberry bc the Roos and wallabys absolutely hosed on the last one I planted. I also tilled a nice area around the greywater for planting some rye grass and native flower seeds but I’m wondering if tomorrow is a better day for that since it’s meant to drop below 30 and even though the rye grass is meant to be tweaked for Aussie conditions I still have my doubts about doing it in the heat. Pictures forthcoming.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

ReapersTouch posted:

I'm in central Oklahoma and I wouldn't mind perennials. We have one milkweed in our front yard that is doing great, so we plan on putting alot of them on the other side of the yard where the utilities are buried, where they would get alot of sun also.

It's a new neighborhood, so houses are the only thing that would block the sun.

Also, nothing with really toxic berries, I got 2 young children and a dog.

Thanks!

Just to begin, you're in like zone 7ish, just like me. If you get bored one day, I'd encourage you to watch that video I posted upthread bc everything that dude is talking about in North Carolina you could enact in OK and he mentions a TON of great native pollinator friendly plants

And as an aside, there are cultivars of Butterfly Bush that are non-invasive and sterile. I would highly recommend the "Miss Ruby" that does not spread and only gets to be about 6 feet tall, tops. Usually it can just be cut down and re-surges to like 4i or so.

As for perennials, let me give you a nice list. Some native, some not, but all of these would be excellent for a pollinator garden:

lespedeza thunbergii: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d760

baptisia australis: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b660

echinacea purpurea: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=c580

lobelia cardinalis: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d940

eutrochium purpureum: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=c740

asclepias tuberosa: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b490

these are all great perennials that attract a shitload of pollinators. let me know if you'd like more suggestions but these are the first that came to mind

As for cool bushes I think your first choices are great ones but like that other dude said they are not native. Just make sure that you're buying responsible cultivars. Lilac eIspecially can come back to bite you in the rear end because they are primed to become massive motherfuckers if given the chance. I dont think you can go wrong with camellias or gardenias.

Some native selections for flowering bushes would be:

hydrangea quercifolia: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d380

hamamelis virginiana: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a749

cephalanthus occidentalis: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=g830

aesculus pavia: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=281049

edit: forgot about this guy, totally badass: fothergilla gardenii http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a430

and literally any azalea under the sun, they own and are unstoppable. Get the deciduous kind if you want to have a bigger plant dick

There are so many more to suggest but it can get downright overwhelming. all of these that I listed would be some serious bang for ur buck though

If you decide to go into tree territory, then we can get into some serious poo poo >:]

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 29, 2019

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

Thanks!

Just to begin, you're in like zone 7ish, just like me. If you get bored one day, I'd encourage you to watch that video I posted upthread bc everything that dude is talking about in North Carolina you could enact in OK and he mentions a TON of great native pollinator friendly plants

And as an aside, there are cultivars of Butterfly Bush that are non-invasive and sterile. I would highly recommend the "Miss Ruby" that does not spread and only gets to be about 6 feet tall, tops. Usually it can just be cut down and re-surges to like 4i or so.

As for perennials, let me give you a nice list. Some native, some not, but all of these would be excellent for a pollinator garden:

lespedeza thunbergii: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d760

baptisia australis: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b660

echinacea purpurea: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=c580

lobelia cardinalis: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d940

eutrochium purpureum: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=c740

asclepias tuberosa: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b490

these are all great perennials that attract a shitload of pollinators. let me know if you'd like more suggestions but these are the first that came to mind

As for cool bushes I think your first choices are great ones but like that other dude said they are not native. Just make sure that you're buying responsible cultivars. Lilac eIspecially can come back to bite you in the rear end because they are primed to become massive motherfuckers if given the chance. I dont think you can go wrong with camellias or gardenias.

Some native selections for flowering bushes would be:

hydrangea quercifolia: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d380

hamamelis virginiana: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a749

cephalanthus occidentalis: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=g830

aesculus pavia: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=281049

and literally any azalea under the sun, they own and are unstoppable. Get the deciduous kind if you want to have a bigger plant dick

There are so many more to suggest but it can get downright overwhelming. all of these that I listed would be some serious bang for ur buck though

If you decide to go into tree territory, then we can get into some serious poo poo >:]

Hell ya, thanks.

Our two trees that the builder had planted aren't doing amazing, so I'll probably be asking about trees soon lol.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
No problem at all, love to spread the good word about badass plants that help make the world just a little less lovely

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Roo paw:

Lemon myrtle:

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 29, 2019

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm unfortunately having to move soon, so I'm collecting all my plants to make it easier to water and move when the time come

So family photo time

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

About a month ago, I asked if anyone had experience with small novelty planters, because I was concerned about killing my echeveria while repotting it. I had to put it in at a bit of an angle, but I'm happy to report that it has been doing very well. Thank you for the reassurance!

I was hoping to get some fertilizing advice for this succulent, my aloe vera, and my jade plant. Based on some cursory research, it looks like all three would do well with liquid cactus fertilizer that's been watered down to half strength, and the echeveria and jade should be fertilized every other week while the aloe should only be fertilized once a month. Does that match people's experiences with those plants?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So my basil won't stop trying to have sex with itself and its time for the final harvest. I have another plant that I'd like to put in the pot once this is done. Its not really big enough for the pot, but I believe in the little guy. It seems to be an Aglaonema Silver Bay, but I'm not sure. I think its supposed to get as big as it can based on pot size?

Any tips for harvesting the basil/what to do with it (there's not enough for pesto) and clearing out the pot for replanting? I'm a complete and total novice, I assume I need to get most of the old roots out, but should I put in all new potting soil?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alright folks I could use some advice. My garden is heck of overgrown, something like 2 years of growing wild from what was mostly lawn and bushes.

I'm going to do a real serious clear down, but before I get it all shipped away I'd like to know if there's a low effort way to make use of all the biomass in rejuvenating the soil etc ahead of a properly thought out garden in 2020 or 2021.

By "low effort" I mean I'm willing to mulch down the woody material and do as much shredding of green material as is possible with the mulcher that I have. Composting is possibly an option but anything that involves much more than chucking it all in a pile and waiting a year is unlikely to get traction, just because there's so much of it and I can't take on another maintenance project right now.

Is it feasible to mulch it all up and scatter it across the whole garden? Or create a pile or two? I generate a reasonable amount of wood shavings and paper shredding so I can seed an initial compost with a bunch of carbon but again it wouldn't be something I could be regularly futzing with. Last time I tried that on a smaller scale it resulted in something of a sad mess.

The garden right now is a lot of tall grasses and big ol' bushes, no trees to deal with. The lawn as it was won't be surviving the redesign both because I don't need so much lawn and because it was in need of anti-compaction efforts anyway. I've also got a burner bin available if that's at all helpful to breaking things down usefully.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So my basil won't stop trying to have sex with itself and its time for the final harvest. I have another plant that I'd like to put in the pot once this is done. Its not really big enough for the pot, but I believe in the little guy. It seems to be an Aglaonema Silver Bay, but I'm not sure. I think its supposed to get as big as it can based on pot size?

Any tips for harvesting the basil/what to do with it (there's not enough for pesto) and clearing out the pot for replanting? I'm a complete and total novice, I assume I need to get most of the old roots out, but should I put in all new potting soil?

Just rip that basil out, maybe back fill the tiny area it occupied with some new potting soil and pop the new plant in there, it’ll be fine. Weed as appropriate

Get rid of the basil by going on a margherita pizza kick and annoy your family/friends by bringing it to any gathering possible

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is it feasible to mulch it all up and scatter it across the whole garden? Or create a pile or two? I generate a reasonable amount of wood shavings and paper shredding so I can seed an initial compost with a bunch of carbon but again it wouldn't be something I could be regularly futzing with. Last time I tried that on a smaller scale it resulted in something of a sad mess.

The garden right now is a lot of tall grasses and big ol' bushes, no trees to deal with. The lawn as it was won't be surviving the redesign both because I don't need so much lawn and because it was in need of anti-compaction efforts anyway. I've also got a burner bin available if that's at all helpful to breaking things down usefully.
Any of these are good options IMO. If you already have some idea where you'll have beds in the new garden, put most of the mulch there. You can just chop it down and let it rot in place without mulching if you want, but it will rot down faster ( and probably look nicer in the meantime) if you mulch it. A compost pile probably rots stuff more efficiently/quickly, but just scattering it on the ground is going to have the same result, and the bugs and the worms will still do their work. Burning is good if it's allowed, and ashes are mostly good for soil too.

Wood shavings take a frustratingly and surprisingly long time to rot and tie up a lot of nitrogen while they do. I wouldn't put them in compost and would burn them instead.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Just moved a bunch of poo poo indoors as the temperature started dropping, the spiders in my den will be pleased.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I just spent a shameful amount on bulbs. Spring better be loving magical.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Not empty quoting but new thread title maybe?? I bet it will be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I hope so! Last time I spent a ton of money on bulbs we got hit with a fuckmothering drought, so they didn't get watered nearly enough and most of them never bloomed. Now the drought's over but I have no yard so I'm severely limited in the amount of plants I can have. :argh: