Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Fuzz posted:

It already is set in Hammerfell.

Best guess is that this one will revolve entirely around the war with the Thalmor, since Hammerfell is basically the biggest dog in the yard in terms of being able to fight them off, at least according to Skyrim in-game lore poo poo.

Unless they finally use a new engine (ahahahahaha) I'm not really convinced they can pull off big sweeping deserts and poo poo, especially in an era of engine tech where deformable terrain isn't that hard to do and would sorta be necessary for a good desert vibe.

Depends on the desert. Regions like the Mojave or Zion NP or really most of the American Southwest don’t have shifting sand dunes but wind scoured bare rock.

Would be great to see shifting dunes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Internet Wizard posted:

Depends on the desert. Regions like the Mojave or Zion NP or really most of the American Southwest don’t have shifting sand dunes but wind scoured bare rock.

Right, but I think Hammerfell is supposed to have all those types of desert biomes because fantasy world, why actually make it make sense?!

But up near the Skyrim/Cyrodil border it's all rocky and arid hills, but there's supposed to be a huge flat desert a la the Sahara in the middle of it.

Edit: Then again, Cyrodil was supposed to be a jungle with ziggurat cities which sounded awesome but then they lamed out of all that, too, so who the hell knows.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 26, 2019

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
You can already see what the Alik'r Desert looks like thanks to ESO.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Oceanbound posted:

You can already see what the Alik'r Desert looks like thanks to ESO.

But you have to play ESO for that, and who does this?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Not sure what you have against it but it provides a perfectly reasonable single player Elder Scrolls experience.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah it's actually quite good to be honest

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm a weirdo who thinks if ES6 isn't in Hammerfell, it's going to be in Valenwood because of "intense nerd theorizing" about a tiny tidbit dropped in the Pocket Guide to the Empire, Third Edition.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah western hammerfell is what the OP was thinking of big sand dunes while eastern portion is more arid and very rocky/mountainous (basically what we saw in the TES6 teaser)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I thought it was High Rock, which seemed a safe bet anyway because they can make it look like a reasonably generic fantasy land populated by white people

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I thought it was High Rock, which seemed a safe bet anyway because they can make it look like a reasonably generic fantasy land populated by white people

They already did High Rock with Daggerfall, though. I mean yeah it was 25+ years ago and super dated, but it's still the "main storyline" so they could go elsewhere (hurr) first. Redguard wasn't a main TES game, so Hammerfell is fair game.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

watch it's on akavir

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fuzz posted:

They already did High Rock with Daggerfall, though. I mean yeah it was 25+ years ago and super dated, but it's still the "main storyline" so they could go elsewhere (hurr) first. Redguard wasn't a main TES game, so Hammerfell is fair game.

Daggerfall was the Iliac Bay. That's a chunk of High Rock, but not all, and it also has a chunk of Hammerfell.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Internet Wizard posted:

There were so many people who got legit mad because Skyrim was not 95 percent mountains and snow because MUH LORE. I wonder if those same people will get mad that Hammerfell is not literally the Sahara desert. I mean who really likes variety? Seriously though, If they brought back Hammerfell and High Rock areas the same way they did in Daggerfall I would not be mad. Would really give Bethesda the same opportunity to do great storytelling like Morrowind.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 26, 2019

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
It would be cool if they just remade Daggerfall

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

could legit pass on the high rock parts

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

It's Elsweyr. We're going to cat land.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm a weirdo who thinks if ES6 isn't in Hammerfell, it's going to be in Valenwood because of "intense nerd theorizing" about a tiny tidbit dropped in the Pocket Guide to the Empire, Third Edition.

You're referring to the fact that Falinesti rooted itself.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

That, the rando preacher going on about the return of Y'ffre, and the Wild Hunt being seen for the first time in forever.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

Thought that was more Vivec's thing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

anything from the 3E PGE is going to be at a minimum 200 years in the past to TES6 fwiw

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

anything from the 3E PGE is going to be at a minimum 200 years in the past to TES6 fwiw

Yeah, it's mostly just me hoping it pans out to something, because I find the potential return of Y'ffre way more interesting than the Thalmor.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You help Y’ffre come back and summon the Wild Hunt to eat all of the Thalmor. Just Venmo me the cash, Bethesda

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
tbh a Skyrim postgame expansion DLC focusing on rooting out the Thalmor and/or heading to their elf island to murder them would own.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'd forgotten how much fun it is to fusrodah things. :black101:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
No table setting goes undisturbed. FUS all of Ulfric's food right in his heckin face.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was exiting Labyrinthine and below me was a frost troll at the top of a stairway. Hopped down, aggrod it and FUSRODAH it goes, rear end over teakettle all the way to the bottom.

I'm also high enough level now for draugr wights to spawn so when I bump into one it's a quickdraw match to see who can FUS first. :clint:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dick Trauma posted:

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to fusrodah things. :black101:

Apocalypse has a Telekinesis spell and it's amazing.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Let's not pretend a post morrowind TES setting is going to be any more interesting if it has black people in it. There is no one with any creative passion working in Bethesda anymore

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey, there could still be somebody there like that.

I mean, they're probably working in the mailroom or as a custodian, but still.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Mass Paralysis is a good spell.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sorry, me again, troubleshooting: the player character makes no vocal sounds. I.e. everything else seems fine, but I'm not getting my Fus Ro Dahs or any grunts or anything on swinging weapons.

Any ideas? Still just running SkyUI and the Unofficial Patch. Some people apparently think this is a cause of not being on the C: drive? (that would be strange, but I've given up second guessing some of the reasons bugs manifest in some games)

e: holy poo poo it really is because Skyrim hates being on anything other than the boot drive. what the gently caress bethesda how does that even happen

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 28, 2019

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
yo, what's the consensus on basic mods to install? i'm reinstalling so i need ideas.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alchenar posted:

Sorry, me again, troubleshooting: the player character makes no vocal sounds. I.e. everything else seems fine, but I'm not getting my Fus Ro Dahs or any grunts or anything on swinging weapons.

Any ideas? Still just running SkyUI and the Unofficial Patch. Some people apparently think this is a cause of not being on the C: drive? (that would be strange, but I've given up second guessing some of the reasons bugs manifest in some games)

e: holy poo poo it really is because Skyrim hates being on anything other than the boot drive. what the gently caress bethesda how does that even happen

I’ve never installed Skyrim on the boot drive and haven’t had that issue.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

How buggy is sperg at this point given its age/if I enjoyed it before should I just switch to ordinator now? I was reading that the biggest issues seem to be the blocking-causing-time-slowdown-forever, the (fixable) slowdown on gaining sneak skill, and apparently that taking the one-handed increased attack speed perks results in a massive attack speed slowdown, any other potential showstoppers?

(this is original skyrim with all addons, not SSE)

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 29, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tempora Mutantur posted:

How buggy is sperg at this point given its age/if I enjoyed it before should I just switch to ordinator now? I was reading that the biggest issues seem to be the blocking-causing-time-slowdown-forever, the (fixable) slowdown on gaining sneak skill, and apparently that taking the one-handed increased attack speed perks results in a massive attack speed slowdown, any other potential showstoppers?

Original SPERG or the SSE port?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Zore posted:

Original SPERG or the SSE port?

Original, was just going to edit my post to point out I'm using the original game, not SSE.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
SPERG is still great OP

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Quality worldmap with roads is one I personally recommend: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4929/
Theres even a fancy option for a paper style map if you are into that sort of thing.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

now that I've pissed a few hours getting my old skyrim modded up and ordered and bashed and manually fixed and poo poo... worth switching over to SSE? didn't realize I could get that for free, but I also think many of the mods I'm using don't actually have an SSE patch so meh

I'm like 99% probably going to go back to playing poe/destiny 2 or something but for some reason I really have to at least mod skyrim every year I guess, if not actually play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

now that I've pissed a few hours getting my old skyrim modded up and ordered and bashed and manually fixed and poo poo... worth switching over to SSE? didn't realize I could get that for free, but I also think many of the mods I'm using don't actually have an SSE patch so meh

I'm like 99% probably going to go back to playing poe/destiny 2 or something but for some reason I really have to at least mod skyrim every year I guess, if not actually play it

SSE is vastly better than oldrim, on technical aspects