Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

Gonna love when maindecking Ouphe instead of Ooze is the new secret tech in Jund.

Whir for Glass Casket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'm not one to jump on the ban wagon BUT man does the whirza deck look busted. It's like twin whose combo is a bit harder to assemble, but gets to play 4 colors without any real drawbacks, is harder to hate out, grinds better, has access to a prison package with an instant speed tutor (which can also fetch the combo), oh and it plays 4 moxes, now maybe 8.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Just want to say that my main takeaway from prerelease is that the foil storybook cards are absolutely beautiful.

Also a questing beast.

Was also surprised to see how common the alternate art cards actually were as well; seemed like it was about one in every other pack.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 28, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bonus posted:

I'm not one to jump on the ban wagon BUT man does the whirza deck look busted. It's like twin whose combo is a bit harder to assemble, but gets to play 4 colors without any real drawbacks, is harder to hate out, grinds better, has access to a prison package with an instant speed tutor (which can also fetch the combo), oh and it plays 4 moxes, now maybe 8.

Now with it’s own 1 mana Dark Confidant! (That turns on some of your Moxes)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Figured id go to prerelease today and there is just a guy with a maga hat on at the prerelease. Unfortunately ive already paid

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yoked posted:

I ended up opening 3 Brazen Borrower, so I crafted what was remaining for Simic Flash and now I feel like an rear end in a top hat for playing it.

your feelings are correct

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

AnEdgelord posted:

Figured id go to prerelease today and there is just a guy with a maga hat on at the prerelease. Unfortunately ive already paid
Tell the TO. Would they be cool with someone tooling around in a swastika armband or a T-shirt that says "gently caress [n-word]s"?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Whir for Glass Casket.

the deck doesnt play whir for invention

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
wanna know how you beat the paradoxical outcome urza deck? cast a chalice on 0 or play deafening silence. they dont have whir for invention or goblin engineer so its way easier to beat it with permanents. stony silence and a removal spell is also really, really good. the deck isnt whirza; it doesnt have the plan of putting a bridge in play or the engineer grinding strategy. its a more all in deck.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 28, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sampatrick posted:

wanna know how you beat the paradoxical outcome urza deck? cast a chalice on 0 or play deafening silence.
What if you're on aggro

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

What if you're on aggro

race game one, board in disruptive elements game two/three? this is the game plan for every aggro deck against combo decks.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I guess if you take a page from vintage, narset is pretty good against paradoxical outcome. haven't seen the deck in action, so i don't know if it might be too slow

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Got a pretty nutso pool at at a paper event. Playing 5 of my 6 rares and my promo. Fires, blacklance, the black troll, promo dragon, alt art frame bone crusher giant, and Ayara.

And WER crashed so hard it corrupted itself.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Do the normal packs have those alt-art pretty cards or are those found only in the super expensive packs?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Bonus posted:

Do the normal packs have those alt-art pretty cards or are those found only in the super expensive packs?

The alt art adventure cards are in the normal packs. The full frame ones are only in the collectors packs.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sampatrick posted:

the deck doesnt play whir for invention

Yes but whirza can tho

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Questing Beast sure is a magic card, huh

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MikeCrotch posted:

Questing Beast sure is a magic card, huh

4/4 for 4 with six abilities, yeah.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This standard is absurd and I don't really care for it. HTH

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
wotc is doing a good job of ensuring that each new standard format is more miserable than the last

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
wow we're already at this stage?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I feel like we are definitely approaching the Mirrodin end of the power cycle, next block should be terrible

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I feel like we are definitely approaching the Mirrodin end of the power cycle, next block should be terrible

last time we went to mirrodin, the next set was innistrad

can the next set be innistrad?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

at least there's no war of the spark 2 anytime soon

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Legions 2 but every card is a planeswalker

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

at least there's no war of the spark 2 anytime soon

Besides Teferi and I guess maybe Nissa, did WotS do anything really bad to the format?

It feels like M20 has been way more toxic to Standard than WotS.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Got to mythic with freakin wolves, set owns

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
did a double take looking at this art
https://www.twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/822108746247585792

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 28, 2019

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Nooooo. The next sets is Theros. I don't want both Theros visits to suck. :(

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
both theros standards were awesome what are you talking about?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
7-0'd my sealed event on the back of 2x ping cat and 2x witch's oven. I baked so many cat cakes...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sampatrick posted:

both theros standards were awesome what are you talking about?

Hmm yes very fun interactive standard where the first 7 turns were Thoughtseize Pack Rat Nightveil Specter Desecration Demon Gary Gary Gary.

Had a blast doing that up until Khans.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

last theros Standard was really really bad, there were two hyper linear monocolor devotion decks and then stan cifka’s azorius control deck where the wincon was Elixir of immortality

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
rtr-ths wasn't a super diverse standard but the games were really, really good and had a ton of play to them. it was a really fun format. every game was super complex because all the cards in every deck did multiple different things and could be used in lots of different ways which made it really, really fun. ths-ktk was an all time great format.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Time posted:

Got to mythic with freakin wolves, set owns

What list are you using, I have been thinking about this ever since WAR spoiler season

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Second day of the prerelease and people already claiming the new set ruined standard. Has to be some kind of record.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Had to go Mardu Knights at draft, also went 1-3. I feel these things were connected. I did pull Cauldron and Mirror though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Turns out the collectors boxes are mappable. Don’t buy loose collection edition packs if there weren’t enough reasons not to.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

last theros Standard was really really bad, there were two hyper linear monocolor devotion decks and then stan cifka’s azorius control deck where the wincon was Elixir of immortality
theros/khans was legit my favorite standard ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The deck Floch won the PT with was the best standard deck ever.