Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

darkeshado posted:

With Ash winning a League being Champion of Alola I'm curious if the next series will specify what makes one a Pokémon Master.

In the original Japanese version of the last episode of Diamond and Pearl Ash says that if he becomes Champion he will be one step closer to being a Pokémon Master.The dub has him saying that becoming Champion would make him a Master. I don't know if this is simply a mistranslation or if they figured he just would just never win a league (this was only two episodes after he lost to Tobias so not an unfair assumption at the time). The thing is he never clarifies what is required to become a Pokémon Master, beating all the Champions? Catching all the Pokémon? Both? Would be nice to actually know what the protagonist's goal fully entails after 20+ years and over 1000 episodes.

They are never going to explain what a Pokémon Master is. They won’t even show a character who Ash would consider to be one. They want this anime to continue for eternity, so Ash cannot have a clear goal to work towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

darkeshado posted:

With Ash winning a League being Champion of Alola I'm curious if the next series will specify what makes one a Pokémon Master.

Directing the flow of the metagame by influencing smogon's tier rulesets.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ash is a codename and he’s been portrayed by countless ten year olds

ashes to ashes

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Geostomp posted:

They are never going to explain what a Pokémon Master is. They won’t even show a character who Ash would consider to be one. They want this anime to continue for eternity, so Ash cannot have a clear goal to work towards.

It’s intentionally vague. I prefer the “be the very best that no one ever was” interpretation; basically, Ash wants to be World Champion, but organized competition above the regional level isn’t developed enough in the anime continuity for anyone to really be called that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When is the cg Mewtwo remake coming out in the states?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

When is the cg Mewtwo remake coming out in the states?

It's not getting a theatrical release, so...probably early-mid 2020?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Kikas posted:

Nothing will beat "turned to stone by Mewtwo" in the first movie and I will fight anyone disagreeing :colbert:

I don’t know, freezing to death in space on a flying castle in the Victini movie was pretty rad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vinylshadow posted:

It's not getting a theatrical release, so...probably early-mid 2020?

It's not? The last two did! They were one or two day screenings but they were both released in theatres

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He died to a Hyper Beam in I choose You and hallucinated Pikachu talking to him.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 28, 2019

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

A Haunter straight up ripped his soul out of his dieing body.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

darkeshado posted:

In the original Japanese version of the last episode of Diamond and Pearl Ash says that if he becomes Champion he will be one step closer to being a Pokémon Master.The dub has him saying that becoming Champion would make him a Master. I don't know if this is simply a mistranslation or if they figured he just would just never win a league (this was only two episodes after he lost to Tobias so not an unfair assumption at the time). The thing is he never clarifies what is required to become a Pokémon Master, beating all the Champions? Catching all the Pokémon? Both? Would be nice to actually know what the protagonist's goal fully entails after 20+ years and over 1000 episodes.

We're not getting poo poo. That would involve a level of writing and consideration to the source material they have no intention of pursuing. It's mediocrity forever sprinkled with the occasional bright spot to give you misplaced hope. You think Ash is ever going to clarify what being a pokemon master even means? Fucksakes even in universe it's not really a thing. It's like a 6 year old saying they want to be king of the world.

darkeshado
Feb 23, 2015

Flopsy posted:

We're not getting poo poo. That would involve a level of writing and consideration to the source material they have no intention of pursuing. It's mediocrity forever sprinkled with the occasional bright spot to give you misplaced hope. You think Ash is ever going to clarify what being a pokemon master even means? Fucksakes even in universe it's not really a thing. It's like a 6 year old saying they want to be king of the world.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Master
The term does exist in the anime and games and other media but they have said different things are required between each with the anime being especially vague. I'm more baffled they specified that being Champion doesn't automatically make you a Master when they did. Ash just lost to Tobias and failed to get into the Champion League and they basically say "Oh yeah even if Ash got to the Champion League and beat Cynthia he still wouldn't be a Pokémon Master". Why not save that until after he won a league to try to justify his continued presence?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pokemon Master is an ideal to strive for, not an official rank

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the pokemon master that can be named is not the true pokemon master

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The real Pokemon Mastery is the friends we enslaved and forced to fight for our amusement along the way.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

darkeshado posted:

The term does exist in the anime and games and other media but they have said different things are required between each with the anime being especially vague. I'm more baffled they specified that being Champion doesn't automatically make you a Master when they did. Ash just lost to Tobias and failed to get into the Champion League and they basically say "Oh yeah even if Ash got to the Champion League and beat Cynthia he still wouldn't be a Pokémon Master". Why not save that until after he won a league to try to justify his continued presence?

The bit in I Choose You is especially interesting because it debunks my "world champion" explanation (at least assuming the criteria are the same as in the main anime continuity, which is questionable). Apparently Ash sees being the world's strongest as a just one part of it. I guess it could be "world's strongest plus catching them all," but the franchise has moved away from that idea (especially in the anime).

It's interesting that the only character in the anime to actually proclaim themselves a Pokémon Master is Mewtwo. I think we're supposed to see this as arrogance rather than Mewtwo accomplishing something Ash hasn't. In other words, we haven't actually met any Pokémon Masters in the anime, and it's not clear that a person worthy of being called a Pokémon Master by Ash's standards has ever existed.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

darkeshado posted:

Silver2195 posted:

The bit in I Choose You is especially interesting because it debunks my "world champion" explanation (at least assuming the criteria are the same as in the main anime continuity, which is questionable). Apparently Ash sees being the world's strongest as a just one part of it. I guess it could be "world's strongest plus catching them all," but the franchise has moved away from that idea (especially in the anime).

It's interesting that the only character in the anime to actually proclaim themselves a Pokémon Master is Mewtwo. I think we're supposed to see this as arrogance rather than Mewtwo accomplishing something Ash hasn't. In other words, we haven't actually met any Pokémon Masters in the anime, and it's not clear that a person worthy of being called a Pokémon Master by Ash's standards has ever existed.

I feel like this only confirms my point. It's a term with literally no clear definition. Since nothing ever defines what it exactly means I feel like you could declare yourself one and nobody would have any grounds to debate you on it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

For the anime it's a meaningless term used to justify an endless adventure.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For the anime it's a meaningless term used to justify an endless adventure.

Exactly. An adventure with 0% driving motivation. It's like embarking on a quest to become the Lord of the Sports Drinks. What does that entail? *shrugs*

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Adventure is the motivation. Having fun with your pals and trying your best is the goal.

Edit: Like I don't think it needs to be complicated or like even this big concrete thing to accomplish, it comes off as strange whenever the show try to act like it is. Ash likes pokemon and wants to be the best at pokemon. So he goes on a journey with some pokemon.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 29, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Adventure is the motivation. Having fun with your pals and trying your best is the goal.

Edit: Like I don't think it needs to be complicated or like even this big concrete thing to accomplish, it comes off as strange whenever the show try to act like it is. Ash likes pokemon and wants to be the best at pokemon. So he goes on a journey with some pokemon.

I guess it's because the games actually have plots and character development and then you go from that to: Ash has suddenly forgotten how to pokemons! We need to do some comedy relief filler for three episodes in a row stat!

It's not even that I mind go on an adventure have fun plots. That doesn't bother me, it's just I think pokemon does it eh...poorly. Not to mention the writers clearly can barely give a poo poo about these characters. If they can't be invested why should I?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like I dunno, I think writers have done fine the last few episodes i've watched? The show had had so many episodes and so many different writers and a lot of them are bad but also a lot of the time I think it ends up being a solid kids show. There's definitely been parts of the show that i've thought were stronger and had better character beats than some of the comics or game's plots, and recently it's been pretty good.

By its nature the anime is just really inconsistent. It's probably had over a thousand episodes and gone through a bunch of writers and some of them do it better than others.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Lets be real, the anime has more plot and thought than half the mainline games.

Ash's goal is fine, its an impossible thing where he strives to be better than before. Like Batman or Conan chasing things that dont exist.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this is such an insane thing to be mad about

oddium posted:

the pokemon master that can be named is not the true pokemon master

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

some of y'all get really worked up about what is literally just a big marketing tool used to sell a big videogame series and card game to kids that also happens to apparently, which i only say because i don't watch it and don't even play the games anymore, have some neat moments in it by the virtue of the people tasked to put it out when in reality it's going to be made no matter who's assigned to working on it.

like this isn't meant to be disparaging, it's just weird seeing a bunch of critical thoughts and whatever put into the very nature of how this show isn't going anywhere or whatever when the way it's structured is explicitly meant to work the way it does.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Lets be real, the anime has more plot and thought than half the mainline games.

Ash's goal is fine, its an impossible thing where he strives to be better than before. Like Batman or Conan chasing things that dont exist.

You think Lillie in the anime had a more compelling character arc than the games? Seriously?

Johnny Joestar posted:

some of y'all get really worked up about what is literally just a big marketing tool used to sell a big videogame series and card game to kids that also happens to apparently, which i only say because i don't watch it and don't even play the games anymore, have some neat moments in it by the virtue of the people tasked to put it out when in reality it's going to be made no matter who's assigned to working on it.

like this isn't meant to be disparaging, it's just weird seeing a bunch of critical thoughts and whatever put into the very nature of how this show isn't going anywhere or whatever when the way it's structured is explicitly meant to work the way it does.

It's because they throw the older fans scraps occasionally and it sets unrealistic hopes and standards. I bitch a lot but I'll be honest I expect very little here. I'm fully aware this poo poo isn't for me but occasionally they do a wink and a nod and like a giant dummy I get excited again.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 29, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flopsy posted:

You think Lillie in the anime had a more compelling character arc than the games? Seriously?

It's because they throw the older fans scraps occasionally and it sets unrealistic hopes and standards. I bitch a lot but I'll be honest I expect very little here. I'm fully aware this poo poo isn't for me but occasionally they do a wink and a nod and like a giant dummy I get excited again.

He said half the mainline games, not all of them. Though it’s debatable. Gens 1 and 2 barely have plots, but the anime ignores much of the little plot they have. The anime improves on the plots of Gen 3 and Gen 4, though (IMO), and while I haven’t watched or played Gen 6, apparently the Gen 6 anime was better received than the Gen 6 games. The anime ruins Gen 5’s plot, though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

He said half the mainline games, not all of them. Though it’s debatable. Gens 1 and 2 barely have plots, but the anime ignores much of the little plot they have. The anime improves on the plots of Gen 3 and Gen 4, though (IMO), and while I haven’t watched or played Gen 6, apparently the Gen 6 anime was better received than the Gen 6 games. The anime ruins Gen 5’s plot, though.

This, exactly.

And also a side case of the world in the anime being more compelling at times, specially when it doesn't follow the games at all. Not always, of course, but still. (Side thing, the game world would be a hundred times better if we had never gone back to gyms after Gen 5.)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
*Lana voice* Popplio

darkeshado
Feb 23, 2015
There is neat little thing the anime does that I didn't notice until I read about it on bulbapedia. Remember when Gary showed up with 10 badges before challenging Giovanni? Well apparently almost every region in the anime is shown to have more than eight gyms, with the exception of Johto for some reason (It might have more gyms but we're no given any hints), hell Kanto apparently has at least 27 gyms in the anime. If you look closely pretty much whenever someone who isn't Ash shows off their badges they have at least one that's not in the games. Kind of makes the world fell bigger, though no one calling attention to it almost makes it feel too subtle.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Badge

darkeshado fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 29, 2019

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I refuse to consider any parts of the anime canon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This, exactly.

And also a side case of the world in the anime being more compelling at times, specially when it doesn't follow the games at all. Not always, of course, but still. (Side thing, the game world would be a hundred times better if we had never gone back to gyms after Gen 5.)

I'll give you 1, 2, and 3, (although the remakes of gen 3 were a huge leap in that regard) 4 was kinda average but everything from 5 up started to put more effort into the plot and the anime literally didn't know what to do with itself. Characters like N and Lillie either got relegated to being side characters or had their character arcs neutered. And you know what? They didn't have to. They could still have Ash as the main character and of kept their stories intact. But the fact that they would've vastly overshadowed his forced the writers to bland them down. It's tall poppy syndrome. And it's the main reason I don't like Ash. The characters around him have to be washed out half the time so it's less obvious he's a 90's shonen protagonist.

Hey remember how Kiawe wanted to be a dancer but was having trouble making ends meet and had to struggle between following his dreams and making a living? Oh wait now he's comic relief never mind.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

darkeshado posted:

There is neat little thing the anime does that I didn't notice until I read about it on bulbapedia. Remember when Gary showed up with 10 badges before challenging Giovanni? Well apparently almost every region in the anime is shown to have more than eight gyms, with the exception of Johto for some reason (It might have more gyms but we're no given any hints), hell Kanto apparently has at least 27 gyms in the anime. If you look closely pretty much whenever someone who isn't Ash shows off their badges they have at least one that's not in the games. Kind of makes the world fell bigger, though no one calling attention to it almost makes it feel too subtle.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Badge

Anime Kanto definitely has more than 8, but I think it's less than 27. The one guy with 8 unique badges could be rationalized as being from Johto (although that probably wasn't the writer's intent at the time), and I think only one 1 of Otoishi's badges was actually supposed to be different from the ones in the games; the others were just drawn off-model. That makes just 16 Kanto Gyms, a far more reasonable number as it means there doesn't need to be any overlapping types.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Flopsy posted:

I'll give you 1, 2, and 3, (although the remakes of gen 3 were a huge leap in that regard) 4 was kinda average but everything from 5 up started to put more effort into the plot and the anime literally didn't know what to do with itself. Characters like N and Lillie either got relegated to being side characters or had their character arcs neutered. And you know what? They didn't have to. They could still have Ash as the main character and of kept their stories intact. But the fact that they would've vastly overshadowed his forced the writers to bland them down. It's tall poppy syndrome. And it's the main reason I don't like Ash. The characters around him have to be washed out half the time so it's less obvious he's a 90's shonen protagonist.

Hey remember how Kiawe wanted to be a dancer but was having trouble making ends meet and had to struggle between following his dreams and making a living? Oh wait now he's comic relief never mind.

Don't forget 6! I have my problems with the XY anime, but it did wonders to the cast from the games.

So that's 5 out of 7 that the anime wins out.

And in SM's case, honestly, i'd say it kinda averages out, too. SM is a pretty good story, of course, but the anime version also has them as pretty good characters, just far lighter. Kiawe is an extremely passionate, basically religious friend that gets the best gags all the time. Like, even if Ash wasn't the protagonist, I doubt hte Pokemon anime would suddenly feature a character who is struggling with poverty in hte main cast.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Ash is actually a Shezzarine

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

edit: Nevermind.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 29, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hey Flopsy can you please stop posting weird about the anime adaptation?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Actually, stop posting about the anime at all tyia

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hey Flopsy can you please stop posting weird about the anime adaptation?

Gladly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Ash is actually a Shezzarine

The Tribunal's arrogant misuse of the Heart of Arceus will come back to bite them when Vigoroth Ur returns.