Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Effective (well, post-queue anyways) immediately:
Bobby Thompson: don't post in this thread.
Rust Martialis: Put Bobby Thompson on ignore. If I see you reply to them again, I'm giving you a month.

Everyone else: stop egging each other on to the point where I considered permanently closing this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I've queued up a 100,000 hour probe for Bobby Thompson please do the needful

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I did have a question.

You know how yesterday we had a discussion on education? I was wondering what everyone thinks of University education as a thing? I have never been particularly good at it, but I wonder how many people enjoyed it and think it doesn't need to be altered fundamentally and those who would prefer it done a different way.

Personally I think one of the big things is that Lecturers are not there as teachers, they are there to do research and to occasionally do a class.

I'm a lecturer at a research-intensive uni & I'm happy to say that Lecturers are good now!

Most unis now require lecturers to have a PgCert in education/teaching and accreditation with the Higher Education Academy. This work emphasises how to get the best teaching done that meets the goals you want for the module, while accommodating students' needs, delivered in innovative ways. Curriculums and their delivery need to be refreshed regularly so there's much less trotting out the same slides from 1985 - you have to keep up to stay relevant to students.

While teaching has historically been looked at by lecturers as the distraction from their real job, I think (and this is based in the depts i know) there has been a change so lecturers are starting to care much more about the teaching aspect of the job. I'd put it down to a range of factors that has seen the culture shift.
First, applying for grants suuuuucks now - you basically have to be perfect to be in with a chance of getting money (or be connected to the PM it seems) & awards are at the whims of capricious strangers. But teaching's real, within one's control, and can be instantly gratifying.
Second, because money's hard to get from grants, student numbers have skyrocketed and the uni's emphasis, including reasons to hire people, have to change with the demands.
Third, HR here have changed how teaching is regarded when it comes to staff appraisals and teaching is (in theory) now held in the same regard as research
Last, instability of the job, casualisation, & teaching only/majority time contracts, etc mean that long-term research is hard to plan for in one's life. Being good at teaching is a more direct route to becoming important to the department and staying employed.

There are of course still major issues with the delivery of material and inability to meaningfully differentiate according to student ability that come with a class size of several hundred. There's a big push to try and line up modules in courses so that we get a long-slow build of interlinking knowledge and skill across the students' time here. The aim is that students get to develop a passion and then drive much of their own learning in ways that fit them.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

pitch a fitness posted:

I'm a lecturer at a research-intensive uni & I'm happy to say that Lecturers are good now!

Most unis now require lecturers to have a PgCert in education/teaching and accreditation with the Higher Education Academy. This work emphasises how to get the best teaching done that meets the goals you want for the module, while accommodating students' needs, delivered in innovative ways. Curriculums and their delivery need to be refreshed regularly so there's much less trotting out the same slides from 1985 - you have to keep up to stay relevant to students.

While teaching has historically been looked at by lecturers as the distraction from their real job, I think (and this is based in the depts i know) there has been a change so lecturers are starting to care much more about the teaching aspect of the job. I'd put it down to a range of factors that has seen the culture shift.
First, applying for grants suuuuucks now - you basically have to be perfect to be in with a chance of getting money (or be connected to the PM it seems) & awards are at the whims of capricious strangers. But teaching's real, within one's control, and can be instantly gratifying.
Second, because money's hard to get from grants, student numbers have skyrocketed and the uni's emphasis, including reasons to hire people, have to change with the demands.
Third, HR here have changed how teaching is regarded when it comes to staff appraisals and teaching is (in theory) now held in the same regard as research
Last, instability of the job, casualisation, & teaching only/majority time contracts, etc mean that long-term research is hard to plan for in one's life. Being good at teaching is a more direct route to becoming important to the department and staying employed.

There are of course still major issues with the delivery of material and inability to meaningfully differentiate according to student ability that come with a class size of several hundred. There's a big push to try and line up modules in courses so that we get a long-slow build of interlinking knowledge and skill across the students' time here. The aim is that students get to develop a passion and then drive much of their own learning in ways that fit them.

That sort of depends as well.
In my field - which is a clinical one - you can get a job as a lecturer without having any additional qualifications (including a PhD).

Of course, that goes alongside a course that has a particularly high amount of contact time, so it's not a typical university course.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
a thread lock with an ominous mod post, i was expecting more juicy drama to come out of that than two probations. can someone have a good ol' meltdown please, i'm having a dull saturday night

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Josef bugman posted:

I did have a question.

You know how yesterday we had a discussion on education? I was wondering what everyone thinks of University education as a thing? I have never been particularly good at it, but I wonder how many people enjoyed it and think it doesn't need to be altered fundamentally and those who would prefer it done a different way.

Personally I think one of the big things is that Lecturers are not there as teachers, they are there to do research and to occasionally do a class.

Personally, I loved it, and I thrived until my mental health began spiralling for other reasons, which then led to harder times in uni that made brain worse etc. etc..

For me it was a place of genuine learning, discussion, and exploration of ideas, and I came away greatly enriched.

However, a couple of caveats and clarifications;

I'm naturally suited to the kind of work done in unis. Makes it easier to have a productive time when you're lucky enough to fit into how uni operates and what it expects of you without effort.
I did undergrad when it was three grand a year, which is still more than it should be but was WAY more reasonable than what it is today.
I had an extremely bad time in school so pretty much anything would have looked better in comparison.
I was raised with a romantic and noble view of scholarship and academia that still influences me, basically the idea that it's one of the highest things a person can strive for. Can sadly cross over into classism and the like very easily and I've had to try hard to banish such aspects of it from my thinking.

So my perspective is heavily tinted by the very positive experience I had, and I'm not going to say they're perfect places that have no flaws. I'm not well informed enough to speak on that tbh, the furthest I'll go is that I think tertiary education is the least dysfunctional. It has huge problems with things like equality and representation and can very often be used in a colonialist manner as a result, and deep entrenchment of views can occur and hamper progress.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Who wants to do a UKMT goonmeat in London sometime

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

kingturnip posted:

That sort of depends as well.
In my field - which is a clinical one - you can get a job as a lecturer without having any additional qualifications (including a PhD).

Of course, that goes alongside a course that has a particularly high amount of contact time, so it's not a typical university course.

Yeah, I'm in a dept with a really cool mix of current and ex-practitioners, research-only staff, teaching-only staff and trad-academics. It's been real interesting to see the different perspectives on how to contribute to the department and somehow it seems to all hang together well enough.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1178075102639988736?s=21

Very lol

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

In a quest to learn Bobby Thompson's past, I ended up in an old thread where this was linked and now I've seen it you all have to

https://youtu.be/gi5j7jjhm4M

(TW: New Labour)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Times turning on Boris already is pretty hilarious

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How the gently caress is he getting laid so much?!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Necrothatcher posted:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

For fucks sake these hacks know the full story already and are just stringing us along at this point

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Monday: also she's a Russian spy

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

communism bitch posted:

I did one and didn't die, so I guess I could risk another

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

cocaine is a hell of a drug

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

cocaine is a hell of a drug

Cocaine and stimulants in general make people have impulsive and risky behavior. Not that a lot of people would mind all the extra sex.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Just imagine how he fucks, like a fresh caught fish leaking spunk everywhere and incoherently barking excerpts from the most racist poetry of the 19th century.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Just imagine how he fucks

No, I absolutely will not do that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Just imagine how he fucks, like a fresh caught fish leaking spunk everywhere and incoherently barking excerpts from the most racist poetry of the 19th century.

Thanks, now I may never cum again.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

communism bitch posted:

I organised the last one and it went fine, so maybe depending on timing? (I'd be coming from Cambridge) v0v

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

One former partner of his described the experience as like "being crushed by a very large wardrobe with a very small key"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

pablo gbscobar posted:

One former partner of his described the experience as like "being crushed by a very large wardrobe with a very small key"

That was Nicholas Soames.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surprised that Boris having an affair with Nicholas Soames didn't put tories off voting for him tbh.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Dissing someone you decided to gently caress seems a bit of a self own?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

communism bitch posted:

Yeah I'm interested, depending on time and which end of the city it is.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah I'm interested, depending on time and which end of the city it is.

Yeah, interested as well.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

communism bitch posted:

I will not be attending.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ah fair dos, I heard it second hand and never bothered to research the quote. It's a mental image that will sadly stick with me for some time though

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I will not be attending.

queuing up a ban for mod sass.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

communism bitch posted:

OK I'll come.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I do not want to see goon meat

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

communism bitch posted:

More like foring ban sass up a queue mod :smug:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I will not be attending.

Well I'm sold.

E:

gently caress.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

loving London, loving Glasgow. When you goons going to meat somewhere I can get to. The end of my street (on a good day)

Sigh, someday fair goons. Some day. Most likely Glasgow as I'm too pasty for London

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Tories have just wheeled out the same plan for the BBC that they’ve had for the NHS: starve it of funding and run it into the ground so people begin to hate it so much that they don’t mind if the government just completely ditches it. It’s kind of embarrassing that leftists have fallen for it.

Just like the NHS, the BBC should be rescued, not destroyed. Who do you think really benefits in a world with only privately owned television?

Also, I’d be up for a goon meet in London.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Carole teeters on the edge of an intellectual breakthrough

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1178024253305712640

Can anyone recommend me some good books about the climate crisis? I'm relatively uninformed beyond the basics, but I'm a science guy so don't mind something that gets heavy.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 29, 2019

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Tarnop posted:

Carol teeters on the edge of an intellectual breakthrough

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1178024253305712640

Can anyone recommend me some good books about the climate crisis? I'm relatively uninformed beyond the basics, but I'm a science guy so don't mind something that gets heavy.

The uninhabitable earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Tories have just wheeled out the same plan for the BBC that they’ve had for the NHS: starve it of funding and run it into the ground so people begin to hate it so much that they don’t mind if the government just completely ditches it. It’s kind of embarrassing that leftists have fallen for it.

Just like the NHS, the BBC should be rescued, not destroyed. Who do you think really benefits in a world with only privately owned television?

Also, I’d be up for a goon meet in London.

They haven't starved it of funding, they've used it for its inherent purpose, which is to prop up the government.

Healthcare cannot fail to benefit people, really, all you can do is deny people it, universal healthcare is inherently left wing. The BBC is not, it is merely a tool for whatever government is in power. The tories can't use the NHS, they can only destroy it, but they absolutely can and do use the BBC.