Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does anyone know why my ringer volume would be setting itself to 0? I have the “volume buttons don’t control ringer” setting turned on so it can’t be an accidental press.

This happened every other day when I was on the 13.0-13.1 betas and it’s still happening on the release version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

some barney on macrumors forum: posted:

At least I can see them, but I like having the originals on my phone. I have a relatively large library of about 6,700 photos and 300 videos...

Me, an actual barney: 50,000 photos, 5,000 videos in photo library.

I can't find the switch to change photo file formats. It used to be in Camera, but not anymore. Is it because I'm using a 6S+? Sneaky. It used to be in there.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

decypher posted:

I can't find the switch to change photo file formats...It used to be in there.

On the 11 it's in Settings.app > camera > formats

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

decypher posted:

Me, an actual barney: 50,000 photos, 5,000 videos in photo library.

I can't find the switch to change photo file formats. It used to be in Camera, but not anymore. Is it because I'm using a 6S+? Sneaky. It used to be in there.

Dang I have 51,642 photos and 2,009 videos.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

azzenco posted:

On the 11 it's in Settings.app > camera > formats

Yeah, weird that's it's not there for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This new iOS exploit is a pretty big deal

https://twitter.com/morpheus______/status/1177574298791370752?s=21

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The new bootrom exploit also allows you to defeat carrier and activation locks. This is somewhat troublesome because activation locks have likely been helpful in controlling phone theft.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004
The saddle brown leather case for the 11 Pro is $40 on amazon if anyone was looking to pick it up. The rest of the colors are the normal $50.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Apple themselves put out the exploit to get people to buy new phones now, hooking them back into a refreshed Apple ecosystem :tinfoil:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LODGE NORTH posted:

Apple themselves put out the exploit to get people to buy new phones now, hooking them back into a refreshed Apple ecosystem :tinfoil:

Some government spy agency found out another agency knew about it, and made it public to burn the bridge. :tinfoil:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

LODGE NORTH posted:

My first thought was also that this is the pinnacle of Apple's planned obsolescence strategy.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Mister Facetious posted:

Some government spy agency found out another agency knew about it, and made it public to burn the bridge. :tinfoil:

Remember how the FBI sued Apple to create a universal backdoor to unlock one iphone until "someone" unlocked it for them? Wouldn't surprise me if this has been in use for years.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

So I got a battery replacement for my iPhone 7 in Dec after my launch one was at 84% health. In a few months the new one dropped to 92%, earlier this month it was at 86% and I open up battery health today and its now at 80%. The battery charge% also doesn't seem to be dropping as I have been on 100% the whole morning and last night my phone died at 14%.

I'm sure its a mix of causes but I'm thinking of taking my tinfoil hat off the rack and just getting a beeper again. Or I will burn my money on the AUP, who knows.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sounds like the battery’s self calibration is off. Try discharging it until it shuts off and then recharging fully.

Battery health is an estimate of the battery capacity divided by design capacity. The estimate is off.

It might also be a bad battery.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

withak posted:

My first thought was also that this is the pinnacle of Apple's planned obsolescence strategy.

It’s definitely bad for Apple because the X and 8 will have support through iOS 16, or later. A bootrom exploit lets all the security researchers probe new iOS versions using older devices to find OS-level exploits to jailbreak newer devices.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm trying to use the Files app to copy a 17 MB folder containing five files from my Google Drive storage to "On My iPhone," and it has been brought to its knees by this apparently Herculean task. I select the folder, copy it, browse to On My iPhone, paste it, and it appears greyed out with a progress circle that stops about 1/3 of the way there. If I kill and relaunch Files, sometimes the folder appears in On My iPhone still greyed out and inaccessible but without the progress circle, and sometimes it's gone altogether. Whether it appears there or not, trying to copy the folder again prompts me to replace the existing folder. This happens every time. One time it crashed so hard I had to restart my phone. This app has always been dog poo poo at dealing with non-iCloud storage, in my experience, and I'm disappointed that iOS 13 hasn't improved it at all in that regard.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
oh neat, I'm familiar with the app switcher gesture but I just realized you can swipe sideways on the little home bar to tab through apps. Is that new to iOS 13 or has it always been a thing with bezel-less phones?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Minidust posted:

oh neat, I'm familiar with the app switcher gesture but I just realized you can swipe sideways on the little home bar to tab through apps. Is that new to iOS 13 or has it always been a thing with bezel-less phones?

The latter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On phones with a home button I could press the button to get back to my first screen of icons if I wasn’t already there. Is there a way to do the same thing with a buttonless phone? I have four pages of icons and it’s easy enough to thumb through but I developed muscle memory to just ff home and now I kind of miss the ability.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Martytoof posted:

On phones with a home button I could press the button to get back to my first screen of icons if I wasn’t already there. Is there a way to do the same thing with a buttonless phone? I have four pages of icons and it’s easy enough to thumb through but I developed muscle memory to just ff home and now I kind of miss the ability.

Swipe up from the bottom, just like getting out of an app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Have you tried doing the thing they replaced the home button with?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Another random thing to keep in mind if you use Anker SoundBuds Slim/Slim+, they won’t work with iPhones 11. It’s an acknowledged issue on the Amazon product page. They pop up in Coupons & Deals from time to time so figured I’d get the word out.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

illcendiary posted:

Another random thing to keep in mind if you use Anker SoundBuds Slim/Slim+, they won’t work with iPhones 11. It’s an acknowledged issue on the Amazon product page. They pop up in Coupons & Deals from time to time so figured I’d get the word out.

:wtc:

Bluetooth is such a poo poo show of a protocol family. Reminds me of being a lowly intern 12 years ago and fighting with a Bluetooth audio driver all summer only to have my mentor say “oh poo poo, it’s not really compatible with most of the devices we gave you”.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Dick Nipples posted:

:wtc:

Bluetooth is such a poo poo show of a protocol family. Reminds me of being a lowly intern 12 years ago and fighting with a Bluetooth audio driver all summer only to have my mentor say “oh poo poo, it’s not really compatible with most of the devices we gave you”.

It really is. I've had tons of issues with bluetooth over the years.

I think that bluetooth 5.0 has fixed a lot of the problems that I've experienced with bluetooth in the past however. All of the bluetooth 5.0 devices that I've had paired together have worked pretty seamlessly. I know that it was kind of pitched as a minor upgrade from bluetooth 4.0 but imo it has made a big difference in usability.

Also I know that someone mentioned Anker buds earlier in the thread and I just wanted to say that I've been really enjoying the soundcore liberty Neos that I picked up a few weeks back. I know that a lot of people here use airpods but for $40 on sale you really can't go wrong with the Neos.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I noticed yesterday that AirDrop finally works as intended on iOS 13. I could never make the „contacts only“ setting work before. Even though I had people in my contacts with their Apple ID mail address they just didn’t show up in the share menu. Neither did I show up in theirs. So I just went with „from everyone“ and was always at risk of receiving dick pics. After the update iOS 13 reset the setting to “contacts only” and it finally works.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Dave posted:

To be fair I just learned this as well. The swipe up gesture for me has always been just the alt-tab view or to exit the app. It never occurred to me that swiping up alllll the way from the home screen would have its own action.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I’ve never received an unsolicited airdrop, let alone a dick pick. Kind of jealous that I’m not hanging out in areas with that kind of zany antics being done.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fourwood posted:

Swipe up from the bottom, just like getting out of an app.

The Dave posted:

Huh, I could have sworn I tried that and it didn’t do what I wanted but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

TraderStav posted:

I’ve never received an unsolicited airdrop, let alone a dick pick. Kind of jealous that I’m not hanging out in areas with that kind of zany antics being done.

When I’m in a crowded place I’ll see if anyone has air drop on and I’ll air drop pics of my dog.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

bronin posted:

I noticed yesterday that AirDrop finally works as intended on iOS 13. I could never make the „contacts only“ setting work before. Even though I had people in my contacts with their Apple ID mail address they just didn’t show up in the share menu. Neither did I show up in theirs. So I just went with „from everyone“ and was always at risk of receiving dick pics. After the update iOS 13 reset the setting to “contacts only” and it finally works.

Weird. Never had an issue with AirDrop but I do know people that have had lots of trouble with it.

colachute posted:

When I’m in a crowded place I’ll see if anyone has air drop on and I’ll air drop pics of my dog.

I like to AirDrop pictures of cups precariously placed on the edge of tables to randos. Got the idea from some twitter post that went viral a couple years back where some rando was repeatedly tweeting pics like that at some minor celeb.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dick Nipples posted:

I like to AirDrop pictures of cups precariously placed on the edge of tables to randos. Got the idea from some twitter post that went viral a couple years back where some rando was repeatedly tweeting pics like that at some minor celeb.

That's hosed up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Two things.

The battery life on the pro max is literally insane even coming from and Xs max.

Second air drop was having issues for me yesterday with one photo for some reason. I was Trying to send 5 photos and it kept giving me an error. Finally managed to narrow it down to one photo that is broken? It’s really weird.

Also low light photos are amazing.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Dick Nipples posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/712394817272160257?s=21

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Any quick suggestions for a quality durable case and screen protector for the 11? I’m buying one this morning. I’ve always used Otterbox Defenders not only for the heavy duty protection and shock absorption but the built in screen protector. But now that those don’t have a screen protector anymore, I don’t feel as compelled to get one, unless they’re still considered one of the best options.

If it matters in any way, I’ve been using a 6s Plus since it’s launch, which I’m trading in toward the 11.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Any quick suggestions for a quality durable case and screen protector for the 11? I’m buying one this morning. I’ve always used Otterbox Defenders not only for the heavy duty protection and shock absorption but the built in screen protector. But now that those don’t have a screen protector anymore, I don’t feel as compelled to get one, unless they’re still considered one of the best options.

If it matters in any way, I’ve been using a 6s Plus since it’s launch, which I’m trading in toward the 11.

I’m using a defender combined with one of those standalone glass zagg screen protectors, and am very happy with it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TraderStav posted:

I leave mine on all the time in hopes of randomness. Finally this past June in the airport someone sent me a picture of Grover. Haha.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

Two things.

The battery life on the pro max is literally insane even coming from and Xs max.

My regular pro hasn’t been plugged in since yesterday morning and it’s now at 40%.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there a problem with WhatsApp? Trying to restore an old back up of a chat from an old device, ain’t happening. I’ve archived the chat on android OS old phone to Google Drive, on new phone on iOS obviously, no option to restore from Drive. Any advice?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've decided, I'm gonna start sending good pics on airdrop. That's random act of kindness stuff right there. Not sure I want curate pics of cups on edges though.

In iPhone news, saw the white pro today and it was pretty damned hot. Really made the metal banding pop. Haven't seen the green yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Did they move/remove “reload without content blockers” from Safari? Holding down the reload button no longer does anything.