Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So is Timothy just hanging out in Jimmy's pocket this whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I wonder if Kasey has dyslexia or is close to someone who does. The hints towards it throughout the game, according to my partner (wasn't diagnosed until adulthood), are a really good depiction of untreated, undiagnosed dyslexia, and the feelings of shame it can cause. And the sort of reactions the person can have to it. Daydreaming when reading is required in school, acting out, etc.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't think you're directly given the title of the postgame theme in Jimmy's house. It's called "A Closing Window." Contrast that to the name of the theme that plays in the main game, "An Open Window." That's the game driving the point home: Jimmy doesn't survive, but he did his best.

NewMars posted:

So what exactly are those things in the end credits supposed to be? I could never figure that one out.
I want to say they're cancer cells in remission. This is just a world where Jimmy imagines he's defeated the Pulsating Mass/overcame his cancer, although the postgame shows that this is very much not the case.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Electric Phantasm posted:

So is Timothy just hanging out in Jimmy's pocket this whole time?

He said he wanted to go on an adventure, he's going on a god drat adventure.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It goes without saying, but the fight against The Pulsating Mass is Giygas as gently caress. It looks like his first form and fights like his true form.

I didn't notice the ending with the family after beating the Pulsating Mass was Jimmy's wish fulfillment until you two pointed it out. It sets the stage for the postgame.

I like the postgame fights because it requires you to rethink your strategy. Up until this point, you could get away with bashing faces in. That's not an option sometimes. Having all of Jimmy's imagination abilities is vital. I'll outline the setups that I use for the particularly tough ones.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Housekeeping issues:

1) I went on Arcade Pit and Slowbeef and M_D_C_T and Danaru sounded rough and manly and deep and I sounded tinny so I got mad and bought a new microphone.

2) Hellstream Saturday 4 CST. Dark Dungeon. All of it. Floors 1-100 in one go. Superboss at the bottom. Open to all previous commentators to come bother me. Just like the Yiik doors. And the dungeon is roooough.

3) Kasey Ozymy is going to guest on an episode.

ONE CAVEAT: He will not answer plot-related questions.

And he's only giving me five questions.

The rest of the time we're going to talk about Cici's pizza.

Not kidding.

I'm already blowing one question on "Is the rock in Blood Marsh supposed to be a tooth?"

So I'm looking for four good ones.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
How much of the game's aesthetic is intentional symbolism relating to Jimmy's cancer versus just being random stuff an eight-year-old would be afraid of like spiders and the dark and his older brother's horror movies?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Was the story of this game inspired by someone Kasey knew growing up?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Favorite area/music, either to make or in terms of a finished product?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Can we hear some of his guitar playing? (I remember it being his primary instrument, yet the only guitar parts on the soundtrack are from soundbanks for Reason(TM)s)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What does your (Kasey's) personal memory cave/orb dungeon look like?

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I interpreted the Secret Knowledge being the literal cure to cancer. But since it doesn't exist (yet, hopefully), it remains a Secret. Notice how the textbox describes the process of Jimmy reading, but doesn't actually reveals what's inside the book: even if Jimmy could read, how could an 8 year possibly know the cure to cancer?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
How many Greaser movies have Jimmy seen to get a great mental image of Punch Tanaka and which ones?

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

If we're throwing out questions to ask kasey, I wanna know what the gently caress the "contamination" enemy is supposed to be.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Cosmic Afro posted:

How many Greaser movies have Jimmy seen to get a great mental image of Punch Tanaka and which ones?

Buck just showed Jimmy the youtube videos of the Japanese rockabilly guys and their Bosozoku motorcycles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_perm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C5%8Ds%C5%8Dzoku

quote:

According to one theory, the name is because of its punchy and powerful appearance.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 26, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Jimmy empathizes with Kasey. What is his field command in that form?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kad posted:

If we're throwing out questions to ask kasey, I wanna know what the gently caress the "contamination" enemy is supposed to be.

A tent, like a hazmat decontamination tent. But filtered through an 8-year-old's mind so it looks like a camping tent.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 42 is up

Fine. You're going to get a good episode. Where lots of good things happen. And some bad things. But then some good things!

VoiceofDog joins me to close out the story of Johnny Katana. We have watched him grow and change and become the best version of himself that we canbe.

And then we crush him.

We also close out the Timothy Mouse story, get Kad's favorite item and visit the Punch Tanaka memory dungeon.

Also I shake a baby.

Such a good episode.

Except for the arena.

YOU KNOW WHY.

Commentary On

No Commentary

I am aware of where Beefcake's no commentary x's are.

I placed them there.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 27, 2019

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

Episode 42 is up

Fine. You're going to get a good episode. Where lots of good things happen. And some bad things. But then some good things!

VoiceofDog joins me to close out the story of Johnny Katana. We have watched him grow and change and become the best version of himself that we canbe.

And then we crush him.

We also close out the Timothy Mouse story, get Kad's favorite item and visit the Punch Tanaka memory dungeon.

Also I shake a baby.

Such a good episode.

Except for the arena.

YOU KNOW WHY.

Commentary On

No Commentary

I am aware of where Beefcake's no commentary x's are.

I placed them there.

The audio on the commentary version cut out after you got the Friendship Stone from Timothy.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

DiggityDoink posted:

The audio on the commentary version cut out after you got the Friendship Stone from Timothy.

I have shamed myself and my family :(

I'm fixing it as we speak.

Fixed!

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 27, 2019

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

I have shamed myself and my family :(

I'm fixing it as we speak.

Fixed!

Namaste, i shall finish watching it now.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
You're going to get a drawing of Moon Baby, Grandma.

Not much can be done about it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Plant MONSTER. posted:

You're going to get a drawing of Moon Baby, Grandma.

Not much can be done about it.

You're gonna get a video of me furiously shaking it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
You're a monster GP

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Does anything special happen if you take a certain cool and mysterious party member to the final arena fight?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Another question for Kasey could be about when or why he chose to make Jimmy a silent protagonist. Since really, this is Jimmy's story but because he never speaks, we end up focusing way more on the other people around him, and we tease out how Jimmy himself feels about his family and his situation from the world he constructs along the way. I think it's a great choice, and I'm curious if that was the plan from the beginning, or if it was a change made along the way.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Johnny No-Katana's battle sprite is heartbreaking enough to almost make you wish that you didn't steal from him. Almost, because he'll kick your rear end if you don't.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

For extra fun in the Dark Dungeon stream, fight Dark Demon again. He gets even stronger.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do you get a prompt before walking out the front door?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I think you get one, just once, before you can just walk out.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
actually you can't go outside and everything is A-OK in the end. : )

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
My favorite part of the Legato Knights fight is that every time the knights act, they play the same notes in their respective instruments. It's especially funny to hear Roland's version of that sound bite.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Reminder:

Shitshow stream today at 4. All dark dungeon and superboss at the bottom. Hopefully in one go. Ugh.

All past commentators welcome to join the discord and yell at me. Probably more at Katherine. She wants to tell you all about the garbage she ate at the Texas State Fair.

https://www.twitch.tv/grandmaparty

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 28, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I do not know how that stream could have gone worse.

The shame.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

GrandmaParty posted:

The shame.

edit- (but you got to do it too, shaking moon baby is an oath)

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 29, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GrandmaParty posted:

The shame.

I tuned in and it was a Professor Layton game and I got confused :shrug:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

C-Euro posted:

Grandma's 4 pm is another man's 5 pm

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I've got a question for Kasey: What, in your opinion, is the first rule of gooning?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Plant MONSTER. posted:

edit- (but you got to do it too, shaking moon baby is an oath)

The entire LP would still be worth it if this were the only post.

C-Euro posted:

I was hosting voiceofdog until we got started.

And then he hosted me. Thank you voiceofdog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Glad I could help!