Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The thing to remember is STD was/is basically a soft reboot and in another 5-10-15 years time it will happen again and someone else will wipe the slate clean. Again.

I don't even want to think what the odds are that STO is still kicking around in another 10 years. Can STO become old enough to drink? Well it survived this long... it might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, it was more of a mid-hardness reboot. A soft reboot is what TNG did, where you just change to a new setting in the established universe that lets you start fresh. Disco is like a... limp reboot. They're working very close to a pre-existing plot and characters but giving them new look and story so it's like a full-blown reboot, but they're claiming it's a soft reboot and just retconning instead.

It's dumb. Trek is a setting where the mechanism for the soft reboot is built in - you just jump forward a century like TNG and you get all the benefits of the reboot without the whining.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 26, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The great thing about retcons is they can also be retconned.

I just want more Original Series with 60s style velour space costumes, pew pew lasers and fighting men in clearly rubber suits on cheap sets.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 26, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My prefered take would be 60s fashion and aesthetic done with modern technology. Give me a TOS show set during the 22nd century when they're in the middle of a full-on googie revival, but done as best as we can do now. Do what the 1960s designers would have done if they'd had access to modern FX and production values and knowledge of how tech has developed. Accept the 60s look of TOS as the fashion of the TOS era, but avoid being anachronistic with it.

There's nothing intrinsic in 2019 speculation of future technology that says that spaceships will have to be pointy and gunmetal grey with speed holes and have an interior with lots of dimly-lit shiny surfaces with tron highlighting and blue computers, after all. That's just the style they've chosen.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 26, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Spaceships need more lava lamps, wide lapel suits, bell bottoms, mod dresses and shiny boots. Plus a bit of psychadelic rock.

Reflective gold and silver spacesuits too.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
And mysterious wall cranks.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

DancingShade posted:

I don't even want to think what the odds are that STO is still kicking around in another 10 years. Can STO become old enough to drink? Well it survived this long... it might.

Unless someone else comes to CBS and says "We can make a Star Trek MMO that will make $gigaquad more than what PWE is doing", I can't see the licence getting pulled. And PWE/Cryptic knows that they'll keep getting whales with moderate-effort slot machines. It's pretty much free money for everyone.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Unless someone else comes to CBS and says "We can make a Star Trek MMO that will make $gigaquad more than what PWE is doing", I can't see the licence getting pulled. And PWE/Cryptic knows that they'll keep getting whales with moderate-effort slot machines. It's pretty much free money for everyone.

Unless they go the Marvel Heroes route and decide to put a pedophile in place as CEO, which didn't turn out to be a great move to keep the license.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Unless they go the Marvel Heroes route and decide to put a pedophile in place as CEO, which didn't turn out to be a great move to keep the license.

Cryptic breathing a big sigh of relief when Epstein died because he was all lined up to take over from jail.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaodai posted:

I'm loving STILL salty they hired a pervert and got that license pulled, that game was so fun

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Raffle-style giveaway for the new ugly garbage scows https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-trek-online/awakening-intel-science-bundle-giveaway

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Please don't compare these to the literal garbage scows that exist in game (The Malon ship)

It's too bad there's no real high end visible activity at Endgame, because our whole fleet beating it in actual trash scows would be good

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Please don't compare these to the literal garbage scows that exist in game (The Malon ship)

It's too bad there's no real high end visible activity at Endgame, because our whole fleet beating it in actual trash scows would be good

He misspoke.

They should be scowed away as garbage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Power creep. Used to be a bunch of goons smashing through Infected Elite in a couple minutes using "bad" ships to make a point was a thing.

Of course people who had trouble doing the same thing (or even figuring out how to turn autofire on) complained and thus everything is now face -> keyboard to win.

Also because you can monetize power creep really well if it's behind a massive grind or paywall, as it is in STO.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

So there's no where to post this poo poo on the wiki so I'm just gonna leave this leak here

* Freedom-class Exploration Frigate [T6]
(Possible Promo Ship)

Console Description:

An unorthodox form of warfare, the VHF Disruptive Transmission uses antiquated communications technology to overload enemy computer systems, particularly those involved in coordinating
large numbers of tiny combatants. Those delicate systems can't stand it and are quickly set straight,
their navigation methods no better than a crystal ball lacking crystal clarity. The hostile captains are left to sit back and wonder why,
hoping it's a mirage, when clearly, it is in fact sabotage.

Trait:
Brace for Impact/Evasive Maneuvers activate each other

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That's the Franklin if anyone's wondering

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:sad: that it sounds like the one good JJ Abrahms ship will be in one of those "lol good luck" promo packs.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Power creep. Used to be a bunch of goons smashing through Infected Elite in a couple minutes using "bad" ships to make a point was a thing.

Of course people who had trouble doing the same thing (or even figuring out how to turn autofire on) complained and thus everything is now face -> keyboard to win.

Also because you can monetize power creep really well if it's behind a massive grind or paywall, as it is in STO.
The really sad thing is, there are still people who struggle with completing regular STFs.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

timjin posted:

Console Description:

An unorthodox form of warfare, the VHF Disruptive Transmission uses antiquated communications technology to overload enemy computer systems, particularly those involved in coordinating
large numbers of tiny combatants. Those delicate systems can't stand it and are quickly set straight,
their navigation methods no better than a crystal ball lacking crystal clarity. The hostile captains are left to sit back and wonder why,
hoping it's a mirage, when clearly, it is in fact sabotage.

Cryptic managed to get Magic Carpet Ride, can they do the right thing and license Sabotage?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Potential BFF posted:

Cryptic managed to get Magic Carpet Ride, can they do the right thing and license Sabotage?

Magic Carpet Ride is featured in ST: First Contact. I'm guessing that when Paramount/CBS licensed the various movie poo poo to Cryptic for STO that rights to music etc. went along. It's an odd situation, but I seriously doubt that Cryptic went out of their way to get it.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Well yea, but Sabotage is the song they broadcast from the Franklin in ST: Beyond. I suppose the fair way to phrase the question is "will the absurd clusterfuck of licensing allow Cryptic to do something cool again?"

bij fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 29, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cyrano4747 posted:

Magic Carpet Ride is featured in ST: First Contact. I'm guessing that when Paramount/CBS licensed the various movie poo poo to Cryptic for STO that rights to music etc. went along. It's an odd situation, but I seriously doubt that Cryptic went out of their way to get it.

I'm not sure in 1997 or whenever First Contact came out, they were negotiating video game music rights going along with a movie licensing. Honestly, I don't think they even do that now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm not sure in 1997 or whenever First Contact came out, they were negotiating video game music rights going along with a movie licensing. Honestly, I don't think they even do that now.

Yeah, I dunno, I'm just working on the basic asumption that cryptic is 1) lazy and 2) cheap so anything that didn't come in the big box labeled "ST IP" they weren't going to use.

The fact that it's in there at all is surprising and makes me wonder if whoever had the magic carpet ride rights didn't sign some stupidly expansive agreement in the mid-90s or whenever they were getting the IP ducks in a row for that movie.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm working my way through all the episodes/missions they added since I last played- basically everything from the Voth/Solonae Sphere on is new to me. I gotta say- handicapped for a game- the stories Cryptic did are more Trek than anything JJ or the Discovery folks seem to have done.

The Lukari stuff is surprisingly good!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it's not genius writing but it definitely has a fairly strong "Trek" feel overall, and they've made a much better recurring species afterwards than the Deferi at least.

Also the Qulash is... pretty fun? No real specialization gimmick, but it's the currently unique combo of cruiser and raider, it's relatively nimble, it's pretty durable, and the boff seating is really flexible. Only puttered around with it briefly but it's pretty nice to fly, and the only real downside is the fixed commander engineering slot, but even that isn't a big drawback. It was nice that the elachi weapon pack thing let you actually pick which ones you get too, not that it matters much until the next upgrade weekend.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Deferi seem like space druids and they lay that on so thick half their dialog is the word "balance", but they had a really good storyline with the Breen interrogation, an original alien species is better than none at all, and the make-an-arrow puzzle was fun.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 30, 2019

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm working my way through all the episodes/missions they added since I last played- basically everything from the Voth/Solonae Sphere on is new to me. I gotta say- handicapped for a game- the stories Cryptic did are more Trek than anything JJ or the Discovery folks seem to have done.

The Lukari stuff is surprisingly good!
That means you still have the DS9 missions to look forward to. They start out really strong, but unfortunately wrap up about a season's worth of plot in a single mission so Cryptic could focus on Discovery.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I enjoyed the Lukari as well, doubly so when you met their 'evil' twins and got to see their cyberpunk planet.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Also the episode where Sela finds out about the final fate of Tasha Yar? :cry:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Solanae arc is imo when they finally hit their stride, and there's very little bad stuff after that. I like how weird and alien a lot of stuff is there and in the Iconian arc too.

It's definitely the type of stuff you'd see in novels rather than on TV due to budgetary constraints, and I greatly appreciate that

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Solanae arc is imo when they finally hit their stride, and there's very little bad stuff after that. I like how weird and alien a lot of stuff is there and in the Iconian arc too.

It's definitely the type of stuff you'd see in novels rather than on TV due to budgetary constraints, and I greatly appreciate that

The Iconian stuff was really great, they do a great job playing up the "we're totally hosed" angle, the Kremin time stuff is pretty good in terms of creating a weird temporal story that feels like Trek, and the ending wonderfully avoids any sort of "now you shoot the main bad guy to death for 5 minutes".

Just really hits me right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I also think the end of the Iconian War is one of the most perfectly Trek moments in STO: the galaxy-shattering war is solved not with violence, but with compassion and talking.

It feels like the kind of thing that's never, ever going to happen with Discovery or other modern Trek.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Also under-appreciated, they somehow snuck in the Halo Brute Shot as a weapon in the Lukari season. Love it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Dyson Sphere stuff also includes a ton of Halo references.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

That Magnificent Ferengi episode...holy moly

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

That Magnificent Ferengi episode...holy moly

The whole DS9 arc is pretty well done, but yeah that is my favorite of the bunch

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Where do you claim this event's ship for alts? I got it on my main when I finished the event, but i'm not seeing it in any of the usual locations on my other characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Where do you claim this event's ship for alts? I got it on my main when I finished the event, but i'm not seeing it in any of the usual locations on my other characters.

Events page, then the reclaim tab in the lower-left side of that page.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Events page, then the reclaim tab in the lower-left side of that page.

Ah, I was looking in the old rep events spot. Interestingly it's the same thing as the new one, just without the most recent ships. Looks like you can reclaim old event poo poo from both.

Also holy crap I never knew about the super upgrade tokens that come with this event. Three of those are worth more than the ship every day. That's the real selling point of this event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ah, I was looking in the old rep events spot. Interestingly it's the same thing as the new one, just without the most recent ships. Looks like you can reclaim old event poo poo from both.

It has all the event ships, scroll down.