Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

So, why didn't anyone in the world until today tell me Halson Sage is in Dark Pheonix as Dazzler????

Though i'm sure that movie isn't worth sitting through for maybe the 30 seconds she appears on a TV or something.

Wasn't she cut from the theatrical release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Y'all want some fascist hot takes?!

I think Steven Universe should be required viewing.

On no am i fascist now

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't she cut from the theatrical release?

I watched the digital release a couple days ago and she is there for all of 20 seconds

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

On no am i fascist now

I watched the digital release a couple days ago and she is there for all of 20 seconds

There's some dumb video out there that claims that SU is fascist because the Diamonds aren't punished for their Genocide and evil. You know a kids show about acceptance and working through problems by talking should have taken time out to have a Nuremberg Trial that ended with the executions of the 3 Diamonds.

And that's pretty much what I expected. I loved her from the Orville and had head casted her as Kate Bishop, as she'd be good calling older heroes on their poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

There's some dumb video out there that claims that SU is fascist because the Diamonds aren't punished for their Genocide and evil. You know a kids show about acceptance and working through problems by talking should have taken time out to have a Nuremberg Trial that ended with the executions of the 3 Diamonds.

The movie does point out that Steven convinced the diamonds to dismantle the empire, but yeah anybody who seriously expects that needs to lay off the terminal wokeness

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Fangz posted:

Is it possible for a work of art to effectively encourage audiences to be better people, and is it legitimate to praise that work for this reason?

Sure, that was the driving motivation of Fred Rogers's entire career (though suggesting him feels like a bit of a cheat). Also, the Good Place is as concerned with how to be a good person as it is with food puns.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The film is out now, right? Has anyone seen it yet?

As loathe as I am to expend any more brain matter on this movie, given a choice I'd at least like to spend it on things that are in the movie.

v oh christ for some reason I thought it was the 4th already. Time and space are loving collapsing in my life

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 28, 2019

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Comes out on like the 4th I think.

Did this get posted already?
Red Carpet interviews have been cancelled because "enough has been said" about the movie

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fangz posted:

This Joker conversation is just going around in circles here. In the interest of good faith, here's a question:

Is it possible for a work of art to effectively encourage audiences to be better people, and is it legitimate to praise that work for this reason?

yes, this phenomenon is known as childrens programming

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A movie that asks hard hitting social questions doesn't want people to ask hard-hitting social questions about it.

(I can't take credit for this, it happened on another forum)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I kind of get why at this point they are sick of answering presumptuous questions about the movie from people who have not seen the movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vince MechMahon posted:

I kind of get why at this point they are sick of answering presumptuous questions about the movie from people who have not seen the movie.
Yeah it’s a bit insane, to say the least

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

At this point it's really hard for me to engage with this conversation without defaulting to Gang Weed memes, because it's escalated so far beyond what's reasonable. There was a valid concern by some people from the trailers and apparent plot structure that the movie could provide an icon for lovely people, and that concern is perfectly valid. Like, if I was working for Marvel and writing for Punisher, I would be intensely aware of the soldiers and cops who wear punisher badges and what that represents, and worried that my work was communicating something lovely to those people, intentionally or not, that makes them feel good about being shitheads.

But the Joker discourse has moved well past that initial concern and into real hyperbolic leaps about it triggering mass shootings, and people on the other side of the conversation are using this to paint anyone who criticizes the film as some kind of Tipper Gore caricature and just acting like art can't possibly have an impact on anyone. It is a victim of the internet's hyperbole machine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I don't think it's reasonable to worry about most poo poo creating mass shootings, but my initial concern was absolutely about general clarity of message poo poo that's totally fair game to critique.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's reasonable to worry about most poo poo creating mass shootings, but my initial concern was absolutely about general clarity of message poo poo that's totally fair game to critique.

I agree 100% with this. But I still think we should all wait till we've seen it to critique it. Most of the early reviews made it sound like it's not really the possible alt right recruitment tool people were worried about it being.

E: I'm going to it opening night so when I get shot by an incel dressed as the Joker please use my death to get all comic book movies banned, please.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I agree 100% with this. But I still think we should all wait till we've seen it to critique it. Most of the early reviews made it sound like it's not really the possible alt right recruitment tool people were worried about it being.

E: I'm going to it opening night so when I get shot by an incel dressed as the Joker please use my death to get all comic book movies banned, please.

Make sure your last words are funny like " goku pants" or something dumb like that. At least we all can chuckle a bit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Make sure your last words are funny like " goku pants" or something dumb like that. At least we all can chuckle a bit.

I'm just going to yell "drat you River Phoenix!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Desperado Bones posted:

My gravestone is just going to say BOTTOM TEXT.

I’ll be there opening night. Fathom Events will be showing Ghostbusters next Sunday and the next Thursday.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Somebody put poo poo in my pants!!! “

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Disney is going to double down on the incel market by releasing an Unus the Untouchable movie. He kills everyone at the end.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Fangz posted:

This Joker conversation is just going around in circles here. In the interest of good faith, here's a question:

Centuries of religiously-based literature are functionally about encouraging or goading the audience into moral edification. For large swathes of Western literary and artistic history in fact I'd say that to greater or lesser degrees people understand the primary purpose of art to be that kind of moral mirror, and that's fundamentally a lesson they got from their somewhat fragmentary reception of the Greeks--and, you know, Longinus, Plotinus, etc.-- and that question of, like, "ok, we have this very specialized species of lying and dissimulating we call art and the array of affective responses it can generate, how can we justify this horrific conceptual weapon" and coming to the idea of using the abstract form of representation as a way of modeling states and situations for the audience to either replicate in their lives or to provide them with a rarefied blueprint to absorb.

Hence even profoundly Christian texts-- the Roman de la Rose or Pilgrim's Progress or The Somonyng of Everyman are predicated on what's fundamentally a pedagogical premise: the text as a moral handbook, with the allegorical structure as a kind of mnemonic for the just and virtuous navigation of a universe far more complex than the flattened, didactic world of the allegorical form. The "correct" reading of Bunyan, as Bunyan would have it, essentially would come down to identifying what characters stand for what and ascertaining the "right" ethical imperatives as a result. If a reader in Bunyan's lifetime read his book and said "hmm, yes" and murdered his wife, Bunyan would not be happy! And moreover, that would probably be taken as either evidence of the murderer being mad, or as evidence of Bunyan's failure (extremely failure in this fictional scenario) to clearly and concisely do his job as a writer of moral texts, that is to say, as a writer of literature.

A lot of this holds true even well after "canonical" writers ceased seeing themselves as first and foremost crafters of moral mirrors. Throughout the 19th century novelists in particular, when they weren't adopting realism as an avenue for explicit ethical and political agitprop (Harriet Beecher Stowe certainly thought opposing slavery was morally good, and certainly wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin with the goal of persuading an audience of the same, and dozens and dozens of penny-press serials took it upon themselves to boost or demonize the political bogeymen and lions of the moment), for sure saw the novel as a mode of "moral philosophy by other means," a laboratory for, again, modeling ethical conundrums, placing characters of different moral beliefs and degrees of conviction within those conundrums, and showing their readers what happens next.

Even in the wake of modernism and its attendant vanguard movements which ostensibly set out to dethrone the moral yardstick as the arbiter of artistic merit (that's super reductive), we see this, in, if anything, an even cruder and more direct form-- go to your nearest bookstore and open up a bunch of contemporary poetry and literary fiction and check out the blurbs. Note how often reviewers cite the "humaneness" or "empathy" of authors-- in other words, their skill and faculty in promoting and cultivating humanistic values of connectivity in their readers.

I mostly teach contemporary stuff, and I publish a fair bit and have many author friends and, like, yes, even if I am uneasy putting it in such blunt terms, I do try to teach things that I think will make my students better people. It's one of many reasons why I like to teach texts by PoC and queer people and refugees and prisoners and this and that, because for all that I occasionally scoff at the rhetoric of empathy as a critical short-hand, I do think representation and empathy are legitimately useful instruments for making people less insular and hard-hearted and morally small. And, you know, I would feel terrible if I found out someone used something I wrote as a justification for killing someone, just as I feel nice when I hear from someone that something I wrote moved them or that one of their students said something, again, "humane/empathetic" about it. It's considered mawkish but deep down, sure, I want to think that people read my work and become in some marginal way better, and I think most artists if pressed would admit to the same.

As an example, when I write about an author with a complex and ambiguous body of work-- let's say Hilda Doolittle-- I am forced, in many cases, to confront elements of her beliefs that are reflected in her poetry and prose, which includes things that look very foolish or very bad in 2019, or things which seem prescient or courageous. I don't write about these elements as moral problems per se, and I'm of course careful to historicize her beliefs in their proper contexts because I don't want to get yelled at by editors or committee members. But all the same-- when she describes the inhabitants of urban cities as grubs and ants I'm morally repulsed and on a gut level I consider her art a failure, and when she describes the love between two women in a time when lesbian relationships and especially lesbian philosophy were far less permissible and legible as the content of literary writing, I find myself opening up to her, and finding her art to be successful. Is this stupid? Sure, a bit. Does everyone do this, even if their critical models are predicated precisely on doing the opposite? Yeah, I think so. Because H.D. for better or worse was a person with convictions and aversions of a moral dimension, and so am I, and the text is only an imperfect conduit between us. Of course I want to leave the text a better person than I was when I entered it, and of course part of my visceral and reflexive aesthetic and critical judgement proceeds from those lines.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This is kinda funny to me now because I went back to school to get the equivalent of a teaching license in English (poo poo works differently here, it's a BA that lets you be a teacher) and we were reading Horace's Ars Poetica this week, which kinda outright states "your writing should be edifying" and is a very important text in literary history.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/birdsofpreywb/status/1178717595144294405

there are also multiple new posters, all of which only have Harley on them as though she's the only character in the film

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Too much discussion about Joker. Not enough talk about Teen Titans Go vs. Teen Titans.

The Tiny Titans show up in it!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I finally just watched Teen Titans Go to the Movies last night despite owning it on Google Play for months, really good time. I was grinning the whole time.

I was surprised how dark the "let's stop the origin stories of all the DC super heroes from happening. Oh, poo poo. Let's fix that and make them happen again" was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvu08xWyvcU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

That looks like a bored model hired to play Harley at a comic con.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

They should release the joker film in every other country except north america because they can't be trusted

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The idea of Harley Quinn taking Barbara Gordon's spot on the BoP fills me with the sort of emotional ennui usually reserved solely for retail work

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Veotax posted:

I finally just watched Teen Titans Go to the Movies last night despite owning it on Google Play for months, really good time. I was grinning the whole time.

I was surprised how dark the "let's stop the origin stories of all the DC super heroes from happening. Oh, poo poo. Let's fix that and make them happen again" was.

IMO the best joke in the movie is the very last part right before the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tytlsynyF-I

I want to know how many parents actually had to deal with that afterwards

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Macaluso posted:

IMO the best joke in the movie is the very last part right before the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tytlsynyF-I

I want to know how many parents actually had to deal with that afterwards

Holy poo poo that is beautiful

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Veotax posted:

Yeah, I was also surprised at how far they went with the re-doing of the origins. It was really cool though. And the whole movie was a lot of fun. I thought the movie was much better than almost any of the TTG episodes.

Speaking of, what I've seen of Teen Titans Go vs Teen Titans appears to be disappointing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I normally don't go to movies alone but ive been warming up to it. When I saw that... I was the only one in the theater and it was loving surreal. But goddamn that movie is so good.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

The idea of Harley Quinn taking Barbara Gordon's spot on the BoP fills me with the sort of emotional ennui usually reserved solely for retail work

just take the comics out of your mind, it's a very, very, very loose adaptation by all indications

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I will admit I did not like Teen Titans Go, and not necessarily per se cuz of them not being like the old, it was because how much time they took over the CN schedule, so back then when I still lived with a big family, my nephew and nieces would leave it and just seeing it every day got on my nerves.

That being said, I watched the movie and found it fuuuucking hilarious as hell, especially when mind controll Batman is chasing them and Starfire is throwing everything at him and he just keeps coming. I'M BATMAN, BATMAN FOREVER.

Also yeah getting annoyed at all the focus on Harley even though it's a loving BIRDS of Prey.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
It's not though, it's a Harley Quinn movie featuring the Birds of Prey. They obviously wanted to make a Harley Quinn solo movie so we should all just thank our lucky stars we're even getting the Birds much less in what looks like a pretty cool stylized movie.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Am I an old man for still thinking that Birds of Prey is supposed to be, primarily, the ambiguously gay adventures of Oracle and Black Canary?

Other iterations had their positives (Huntress added a new dynamic by being the resident problem child) and negatives (When Babs is Batgirl it ends up feeling like a generic team book instead of having a unique dynamic) but Birds of Prey starring Oracle and Black Canary is kind of the default version in my mind, like an X-Men team that has Wolverine, Cyclops, and Storm, or an Avengers team that has Cap, Iron Man, and Thor.

If it's just about a bunch of women operating out of Gotham, that says "Gotham City Sirens" to me. Though to be fair, that is a way, way worse title.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mary Elizabeth Winstead deserves better than this film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She was in The Thing prequel. She’s been in worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Die Hard 4.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those will both likely be high art in comparison to BoP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your hit rate is actually somehow negative, so I guess I now await this Oscar favorite.