Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Given Snow's great PvT skills this should hopefully be a pretty good final.

But drat Flash is looking unstoppable once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
flash imba

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fanatic posted:

Given Snow's great PvT skills this should hopefully be a pretty good final.

But drat Flash is looking unstoppable once again.

snow is my favorite modern protoss player but after what flash did to rain last night i am not putting a lot of money on snow winning

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

snow is my favorite modern protoss player but after what flash did to rain last night i am not putting a lot of money on snow winning

tbh snow matches up better stylistically and rain lost the build order fight in the first two games and made at least one major micro blunder in g3 but I never ever bet against Flash. I'm going to miss him

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I rate Snow higher than Rain at PvT, but Rain would definitely beat Snow in a PvP which I'm really glad we dodged btw!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gonna have nightmares after those storms on action's drones :gonk:

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018
The big game is taking place outside?

I'm really excited about this game. Only recently started following Broodwar. Tastosis really brings the game to life.

I'm rooting for Flash, but I don't really know much about Snow.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

drepimetheus posted:

The big game is taking place outside?

I'm really excited about this game. Only recently started following Broodwar. Tastosis really brings the game to life.

I'm rooting for Flash, but I don't really know much about Snow.

Grand finals yes

Snow is a good PvTer, Flash is probably the greatest player of all time but is likely to retire after this match because his wrists are hosed

also flash is really good

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

flash is not human

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Cripes. What a way to cap off a career. FlaSh looked absolutely unbeatable.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
The VoD didn't last long on YouTube, jesus. Anyone have an alternate link?

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I got you buddy

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

This won't load for me, but thanks anyway :(

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I think you need to turn off your adblocker.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Stop killing esports

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Flash lost two games this entire ASL.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Mata posted:

I think you need to turn off your adblocker.

You were right. drat it's sad knowing we won't see Flash again for awhile after that finals.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elyv posted:

Flash lost two games this entire ASL.

one of which was to mother fuckin sacsri of all goddamn people

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Game 3 of finals was insane. It's not particularly insane for spectators, but if you've ever played starcraft in your life think about it from a fog of war or game plan perspective for either player. Just nuts.

I'd have ggd g4 in the first 5 seconds after that one. Props for him trying to stick to his plan even though g3 was a literal "greetings from masters league, gold league player" tier refutation of his entire play style.

I don't think I've ever seen someone predict everything so wrong that it was bordering on a build order loss, give a protoss that many bases for so long, and then casually walk out and win at this level of play in BW. Flash's entire push was just a "well, I shouldn't sit here I should poke a bit because this is only going to get worse" and it just snowballed to an instant win.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 2, 2019

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Khorne posted:

Game 3 of finals was insane. It's not particularly insane for spectators, but if you've ever played starcraft in your life think about it from a fog of war or game plan perspective for either player. Just nuts.

I'd have ggd g4 in the first 5 seconds after that one. Props for him trying to stick to his plan even though g3 was a literal "greetings from masters league, gold league player" tier refutation of his entire play style.

I don't think I've ever seen someone predict everything so wrong that it was bordering on a build order loss, give a protoss that many bases for so long, and then casually walk out and win at this level of play in BW. Flash's entire push was just a "well, I shouldn't sit here I should poke a bit because this is only going to get worse" and it just snowballed to an instant win.

Yes, it was an amazing level of play. It's too bad about game 4 things coming unglued for Snow, and it being 4-0 (mostly because I wanted to see more!), but I mean fair enough, he's just that good.

These ASL matches are just so fun to watch. I wish I enjoyed SC2 as much since then there would be more matches to see but I just find it to be incredibly annoying. It's like Blizzard doubled and tripled down on the annoying mechanics of SC2 with the two expansions. Adept, oracles, I just find it all so obnoxious and would honestly rather watch Wings of Liberty MP.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Khorne posted:

Not that the push wasn't insane, because it was, but Flash's siege harass on Snow's third was like equally insane to me. Casually sends out his dropship with 2 tanks, sits there denying mining from those 3 patches for 30 seconds, and is somehow able to get out right before that little squad is surrounded? Flash's game sense is so absolutely absurd

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Escape Goat posted:

It's like Blizzard doubled and tripled down on the annoying mechanics of SC2 with the two expansions. Adept, oracles, I just find it all so obnoxious and would honestly rather watch Wings of Liberty MP.

I'm surprised to read this opinion. I think SC2 was immensely improved by Legacy of the Void, finally bringing the range of tactical and strategic options into the same category of BW (even if, overall, the game isn't as complex or entertaining - although I think the entertainment value could be greatly improved if, like in Brood War, Blizzard limited the information casters had at their fingertips to add a bit of suspense you don't get with near-perfect information).

Also imagine here I put an encomium to Flash. I remember someone a decade ago doing an analysis of outstanding players in various sports in standardised terms to identify those players who most excelled the rest of the player population. Donald Bradman, an Australian cricketer, won by a pretty big margin, but I wanna see where Flash would fit in.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Elyv posted:

Not that the push wasn't insane, because it was, but Flash's siege harass on Snow's third was like equally insane to me. Casually sends out his dropship with 2 tanks, sits there denying mining from those 3 patches for 30 seconds, and is somehow able to get out right before that little squad is surrounded? Flash's game sense is so absolutely absurd
The wraith doing exactly what artosis said it wouldn't was good, too.

I'm surprised they didn't point out how uncharacteristic of him it was to just casually lose the wraith after seeing the base.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 2, 2019

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
That was a great finals.

Despite the 4-0 each game was super intense and I think in almost every game there was a point where Snow was slightly ahead but he could never capitalize on it enough to convert into a win. Whereas if Flash even gets a slight edge on you he simply keeps building on it until he steamrolls you.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
So what tournament is coming up next? And what to watch in the meantime? Any suggestions?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
KSL season 4 will probably happen at some point but I don’t think any dates have been announced yet.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You can also watch random streams and sponmatches if you don't mind not having English casting.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Thnaks for the ideas. It is much more fun to me to watch matches with English commentary though (Tasteless/Artosis preferably tbh). I have been looking at some KSL 3 matches (Ro 16) now, but what i've seen so far doesn't really compare to ASL standard, mostly because it seemed mostly rather one-sided. :/ Is there already a date for the next Afreeca season?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s usually about 3 months between ASL seasons

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
There's STPL which is more foreign based although it has korean clans too (I think mind played a couple of games). It's cast in english, sometimes Rapid co casts it. He may be a bit annoying (though he's getting better at it), but he does care about the scene. I don't really understand the competition format tbh, but it's good to watch an occasional game though it's lower level than ASL/KSL.

https://www.twitch.tv/stpl

From Korea there's KCM TV which has this race vs race tournament format, all the progamers participate. It's only cast in Korean though.

KSL season 3 was meh, older ASLs and KSLs are worth watching. I'd personally recommend ASL season 6 finals.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006

quote:

I'd personally recommend ASL season 6 finals.
that was great! incredible games in that season in general

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

BSL should be starting soon too, which is the pretty big foreign league. It's really chill as well from what I've watched of it before (though iirc it had the disadvantage that most of the Terrans tended to...die.)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Chucat posted:

BSL should be starting soon too, which is the pretty big foreign league. It's really chill as well from what I've watched of it before (though iirc it had the disadvantage that most of the Terrans tended to...die.)

Terran is real hard

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

When I was young and BW a couple years old I asked a cousin about how you would choose a race, their advantages, etc. and he told me that Protoss is good for beginners, Zerg is more advanced, and Terran is the hardest race to master.

Flash just makes everything look so easy

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/starcraft/23164328/ksl-season-4-is-here

ksl season 4 starts in october y'all :getin:

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Great news!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if Artosis and Cadenzie will be in the qualifiers again.

Edit: got my ASL's and KSL's mixed up :v:

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 28, 2019

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not enough SC1 for me. I can't watch SC2 at all, but it's hogging all the tournaments.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

JollyPubJerk posted:

Not enough SC1 for me. I can't watch SC2 at all, but it's hogging all the tournaments.

Sc2 owns, jpj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
https://m.twitch.tv/videos/496501208
KSL 4 qualifiers