Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm sure they have him on blood thinners to prevent this. I'd be super interested in finding out what his daily pharmacological cocktail looks like

Adderal, adderal and more adderal.

edit:

Mlem tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

This was a quote from that interview that I facepalmed at-

https://twitter.com/TexasTribAbby/status/1178118959067013121

jesus loving christ.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that comment about the Bushes is really, really dumb.

Cost-benefit analysis less so but the GND and M4A have far more benefits than costs.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Strange Poon posted:

jesus loving christ.

She cannot die of old age fast enough. Like if she stared at the loving Ark of the Covenant and her face melted off like those Nazis in Indiana Jones, that wouldn't be fast enough for me. It would have to be at least twice as fast to satisfy me.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

nine-gear crow posted:

...She's being sarcastic right? --No? Well then.

I mean, should she be happy that this horrible traumatic thing is happening? She’s doing her duty to defend the constitution. What more you want?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah that comment about the Bushes is really, really dumb.

Cost-benefit analysis less so but the GND and M4A have far more benefits than costs.

No, she knows she cannot criticize Republicans too much if we are going to continue garnering support for impeachment. Going after the Bush’s doesn’t help the cause. We need independents and moderate Republicans to come around.

But once this is done she needs to step aside and let a progressive take over.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean, should she be happy that this horrible traumatic thing is happening? She’s doing her duty to defend the constitution. What more you want?

This "horrible traumatic" impeachment is loving cake compared the horrible trauma Trump's been inflicting. So yes, she should be loving ecstatic. Or at the minimum, dispassionately professional.

E: Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 29, 2019

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Ogmius815 posted:

That she doesn't have to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing it. That she actually acts as opposition rather than allowing Trump to run roughshod over our democracy and values? That she shows some loving backbone and leadership?

Not a lot if you ask some. Formerly impossible if you ask others.

Most political survivors are craven as poo poo and Pelosi is no exception.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

SirPablo posted:

I assume that a very high percentage of Trump's tweet likes are the same people (like the groupies that go to all his Klan rallies) and varying degrees of bots. Has anyone published an analysis of the likes? Seems like most will get 20-50k, but then some are signal boosted to 100-200k.

https://sparktoro.com/blog/we-analyzed-every-twitter-account-following-donald-trump-61-are-bots-spam-inactive-or-propaganda/

This person thinks 61% of Trump followers are bots.

Would explain how some tweets get boosted while others don’t.

Also this article claims that due to the ease in which they are able to identify bots using external software, that Twitter must be willfully misleading shareholders by refusing to crack down on bots for real and letting their user numbers remain inflated. Keep in mind that Twitter should have a lot more info on its users using internal software, so it should be easier to spot bots.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Does Trump read the replies to his tweets? Has he ever replied to one of the people methodically explaining why he is the stupid?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Does Trump read

No.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nobody should be happy about what is happening. It is loving insane and awful and the country is unlikely to recover from it in our lifetimes. It has to be done and I am glad it is being done but don't treat it like your team winning in a ball game.

This is likely to be a huge shitshow and the odds of violence again innocent people as a side effect is pretty drat high. Even if you distrust every word out of Pelosi's mouth (which is entirely justified) don't start pretending like even a competent political should be happy about widespread corruption and a long, protracted, and taxing battle where a not unlikely outcome is an angry, senile and terrible man will escape punishment and turn around to attack the people who threatened him.

We all laugh at Trump because we need some form of defense against the sheer loving insanity of the current situation but let's not pretend Trump getting dunked on changes the fact he is a serious threat to a lot of people until he (and ideally most of the Republican party) are out of office. And even then you are depending on the Democrats not to poo poo all over themselves.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If Trump gets impeached, what happens next in terms of who runs the government? Is there a big chance that he doesn't get impeached?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

If Trump gets impeached, what happens next in terms of who runs the government? Is there a big chance that he doesn't get impeached?

If Trump is convicted in the Senate or resigns or drops dead from rage and stress then Mike Pence is sworn in as president and then has to run at the top of the ticket in 2020 in Trump's place with someone else running in his old slot as VP. And that's assuming that the impeachment inquiry doesn't also uncover evidence that Pence is guilty of or complicit in any crimes as vice president as well and also eligible for impeachment.

If that's the case this goes from being potentially a Nixon>Ford situation to an Agnew>Ford one, where the vice president had to be removed from office at lightning speed in a whole separate investigation before the president was impeached so you didn't have the White House being handed over from one huge loving criminal (Richard Nixon) to another somehow even bigger loving criminal (Spiro Agnew).

Seriously, go listen to Bagman by Rachel Maddow. It's a loving trip.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TV Zombie posted:

If he is impeached in the House, the Senate will hold a trial. The Republicans control the Senate, so the likelihood of him being convicted is less than me getting struck by lightning when I next go outside.

The goal here being to hammer Republicans Senators with their vote to cover for Trump.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

If Trump is convicted in the Senate or resigns or drops dead from rage and stress then Mike Pence is sworn in as president and then has to run at the top of the ticket in 2020 in Trump's place with someone else running in his old slot as VP. And that's assuming that the impeachment inquiry doesn't also uncover evidence that Pence is guilty of or complicit in any crimes as vice president as well and also eligible for impeachment.

If that's the case this goes from being potentially a Nixon>Ford situation to an Agnew>Ford one, where the vice president had to be removed from office at lightning speed in a whole separate investigation before the president was impeached so you didn't have the White House being handed over from one huge loving criminal (Richard Nixon) to another somehow even bigger loving criminal (Spiro Agnew).

your regular reminder that the only reason that USDOJ considers the sitting president unprosecutable is because they made it clear to Agnew that it was only the president that would get that treatment and the VP was fair game to be tried

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

your regular reminder that the only reason that USDOJ considers the sitting president unprosecutable is because they made it clear to Agnew that it was only the president that would get that treatment and the VP was fair game to be tried

Yep. It was a deal worked out by the DOJ specifically to get Agnew out of office and out as fast as possible, and the people who made the deal on both sides have since come out and said "actually this is bullshit, a president should be able to be indicted, we just didn't think anyone worse than Spiro 'literal bags of money with dollar signs on them delivered to his desk' Agnew would come along, but oops, Trump".

Again, Bagman: listen to it.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Drunk Theory posted:

If he is impeached in the House, the Senate will hold a trial. The Republicans control the Senate, so the likelihood of him being convicted is less than me getting struck by lightning when I next go outside.

The goal here being to hammer Republicans Senators with their vote to cover for Trump.

I've heard some real tin foil predictions about Mitch McConnell dragging his feet and possibly not holding a criminal proceeding at all, as the language in the articles of impeachment say the Senate "shall have the sole power to try all impeachments."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

RasperFat posted:

Is it weird to not believe him?

I’m torn between Google’s lovely algorithms promoting white nationalism and the police’s long entwinement with racism and am legitimately unsure which is more likely in this case.

Maybe the LAPD shouldn't be recruiting as ads on websites despite how good the algorithms are?

This is like when Ric Flair was a dick for 50 minutes of a match and then started to get his rear end kicked and dropped to his knees and threw his hands out saying, "Nooooo!!!" then offering a handshake.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 29, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drunk Theory posted:

It seems very unlikely that the House doesn't vote out Articles of Impeachment at this point. Publicly starting the process on this crime golem and then not passing it on to the Senate would be gross political incompetence on a level that even Democrats should have trouble reaching. In such a situation the Left will be out for blood, Liberals will be furious, and the Centrists will be suicidal. Meanwhile Donny and the GOP will actually be able to use their prepared talking points bullshit about being acquitted without everyone not deep in the tank for Donny throwing up. Because while a Senate acquittal will be clearly partisan, not even making it out of the House will be seen as vindication by our idiotic electorate.

Which isn't saying that the Democrats won't gently caress this whole thing up by trying to speed through the process and generally being infuriating fuckwits. Just that this isn't something you start without planning on finishing it.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yep. It was a deal worked out by the DOJ specifically to get Agnew out of office and out as fast as possible, and the people who made the deal on both sides have since come out and said "actually this is bullshit, a president should be able to be indicted, we just didn't think anyone worse than Spiro 'literal bags of money with dollar signs on them delivered to his desk' Agnew would come along, but oops, Trump".

Again, Bagman: listen to it.

And yet Nixon was right there.

El Nam posted:

I've heard some real tin foil predictions about Mitch McConnell dragging his feet and possibly not holding a criminal proceeding at all, as the language in the articles of impeachment say the Senate "shall have the sole power to try all impeachments."

Mitch is almost certainly not dumb enough to do that, unfortunately. Because that's actually the 2nd best case scenario for the Country after the infinitesimally slim possibility of an actual conviction.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 29, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

El Nam posted:

Truly a tin foil position given what he did with the supreme Court, definitely beyond the pale for old Turtle McConnell

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
hosed up if true

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1178143985505853440

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

DrNutt posted:

Truly a tin foil position given what he did with the supreme Court, definitely beyond the pale for old Turtle McConnell

It’s not that it is beneath him to do that, it is just significantly more politically advantageous for him to hold the trial and the vote.

If he denies the trial, Democrats have an incredibly easy path for painting Senate Republicans as covering ip for Trump in an openly corrupt manner.

If he has the trial and Republicans simply vote against removal from office, they and Trump have a path to spin it as Trump being “exonerated”.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It's been done before. By Robert Muller, in fact. specifically to yoink the rug out from under Senate Judiciary investigating claims of FBI misconduct by retroactively classifying information they (the FBI) had given to the committee in unclassified briefings.

Everything old is new again.

Edit: among other instances. A while back it was discovered that there'd been sweeping retroactive classification of a bunch of poo poo in the National Archives, for example (basically Bush reclassifying a bunch of mostly historical poo poo that had been declassified by Clinton). I'm sure there are many other examples I'm not thinking of at the moment.

SubG fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 29, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1178215855777300481

:stare::stare::stare:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Lol the Saudi royal family is so messed up their bodyguards are going to need bodyguards.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Personal dispute huh?

Makes me think the reports of a huge Saudi defeat in Yemen are true

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Slowpoke! posted:

https://sparktoro.com/blog/we-analyzed-every-twitter-account-following-donald-trump-61-are-bots-spam-inactive-or-propaganda/

This person thinks 61% of Trump followers are bots.

Would explain how some tweets get boosted while others don’t.

Also this article claims that due to the ease in which they are able to identify bots using external software, that Twitter must be willfully misleading shareholders by refusing to crack down on bots for real and letting their user numbers remain inflated. Keep in mind that Twitter should have a lot more info on its users using internal software, so it should be easier to spot bots.

i wonder what percentage of his bots signal boost him. i'd imagine most if not all of them, which makes me wonder how many non-bot followers are real that specifically don't retweet or like tweets, you know anywhere from leftists to boomers that agree with him but don't bother to like or retweet his stuff. that would mean most of his signal boosting isn't real.

e: this math doesn't check out but i'm sure a lot of his signal boost is fake as gently caress anyway.

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 29, 2019

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Invalid Validation posted:

Have a painful stroke on TV you loving waste.

Hell, faking a stroke would be a good move for him. His numbers would probably go up. Then he can avoid impeachment by riding the decorum train for a full year since dem leadership would think it despicable to attack a man who can’t defend himself. Then right before the election, miracle recovery, and all the chuds buy it because they think he’s superhuman anyway. Dude can just hang out in his hospital bed at home all day, eating cheeseburgers like Royal Tenenbaum.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So in a month they get their oil production knocked out, lose a portion of their army to the Houthis, and this?

I say, seems this regime isn’t all that stable

Also the GOP strategy for Trump committing treason again (with transcripts!) is official! Triple down on “BUT HER EMAILS” like it’s still 2016

https://twitter.com/jasonleopold/status/1178143151061553152?s=2

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 29, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Totally missed this one

https://twitter.com/MollyMcKew/status/1178106636923277312

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I just remember that Manafort basically had his wife raped by other dudes which is some next level cuckoldry.

Him, Stone, and now Fawell jr. doing all the crimes right when chuds revived cucks as a pejorative is just too perfect. It really shows that everything is projection.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DrNutt posted:

I thought we were now calling him "Moscow Mitch"?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

nine-gear crow posted:

Now if this happens next year, I’m sure Mitch McConnell will not allow someone to fill in the vacant VP spot since it’s an election year and the voters need to decide, right? I’m sure he’ll be consistent.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Algid posted:

I just remember that Manafort basically had his wife raped by other dudes which is some next level cuckoldry.
i hadnt heard that

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I think this could definitely get interesting. Coats out and out hated Trump for a long time and it was amazing he managed to hang on to his position for a long time. If any former Trump official tells the truth about Trump before Congress, it will be him.

https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/1177933922937769984

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BrandorKP posted:

Honest Abe ...

I'm done. His stupidity has broken me. My faith that we are all children of God, mother's childs, I'm not sure that's viable in the face of this moron.

This man is irredeemably stupid. He's so goddamn dumb, that I cannot conceive of his stupidity. I try to think what's the dumbest loving thing he could do or say...

Every loving time it's dumber. He is more stupid that I can mentally model.

Welcome to Earth! All the devils are here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Slowpoke! posted:

No, she knows she cannot criticize Republicans too much if we are going to continue garnering support for impeachment. Going after the Bush’s doesn’t help the cause. We need independents and moderate Republicans to come around.

no we don't.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Eh...if you want to actually convict him, you kind of do need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's not impeachment. trump will never be convicted in the senate.