Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Going by quick napkin math, if he paid himself .10 a word, like people are asking for, instead of this .59 figure I'd never heard anyone else use, then he'd have to pay himself about 9.5k for the whole book.

How convenient that the kickstarter had 10k left over for himself, then. Sounds like he got paid after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

It's a ridiculous number; outside of technical writing, I don't know anyone in freelance writing making more than 30 cents a word -- and that's for like, white papers and fairly expertise-heavy topics. I can't decide if he pulled it completely out of thin air, or if he took some "average" including technical writing salaries or something.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I mean if you look at what people pay writers working in a non-dead industry, 1c a word is laughable bullshit, and even 30c is a joke.

http://www.meaa.org/connect/rates/

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I dunno that rates that Newscorp, the New York Times, and Cosmo pay are representative of the industry at large, but fair enough -- these look to be almost exclusively top-end publications.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Obviously budgets will differ between publications and the size of the company, a murdoch newspaper has infinitely more cash behind it than OPP.

I'll have a look for more creative writing style rates, unless someone has it available.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Creative stuff fairly often sticks to a range from 5 cents a word to 50 cents (mostly the lower end outside of the big publishers), unless you're well established and your books are guaranteed to sell or your name is a big draw on an anthology or whatever. Once you move into the territory of getting proper contracts it ceases to be a per word rate and becomes per piece which is a very different dynamic, of course. I used to entertain delusions of being able to make it as an author without supplementing my income with other sources like academia (...I'm going to die a pauper.)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Loomer posted:

Creative stuff fairly often sticks to a range from 5 cents a word to 50 cents (mostly the lower end outside of the big publishers), unless you're well established and your books are guaranteed to sell or your name is a big draw on an anthology or whatever. Once you move into the territory of getting proper contracts it ceases to be a per word rate and becomes per piece which is a very different dynamic, of course. I used to entertain delusions of being able to make it as an author without supplementing my income with other sources like academia (...I'm going to die a pauper.)

Everyone supplements their income with other sources. There are fewer full time writers than there are NBA Basketball players.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Writers should be paid based on the disability-adjusted time they spend writing, not per word. :colbert:

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Cassa posted:

I mean if you look at what people pay writers working in a non-dead industry, 1c a word is laughable bullshit, and even 30c is a joke.

http://www.meaa.org/connect/rates/

That's an Australian organization though. The US$ is worth roughly $1.47, making rates apples and oranges until you do the conversion.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Kai Tave posted:

As far as I can tell, the guy's next game is called Reclaimers and it's about a bunch of Musk-like rich people trying to build space arks to go colonize Mars and escape an ecologically devastated earth, loving the earth up even more in the process, so you have to go kill them before they succeed. Fighting against the, as Joe Slowboat puts it, "armed lifeboat" contingent could make for an interesting premise for a game but it's being written by this dipshit so I have basically no real hope that the end result will be anything to write home about.

That pitch sounds more eco-revolution than eco-fascism, but yeah, I have zero faith in this guy not loving it up after the way he handled his last "anti-fascist" game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I wouldn't be surprised if he misses the point so bad you end up playing the 1%ers trying to escape Earth.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If you actually sabotage them, it causes more ecological damage, see?

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
In the larger freelance writing industry, it is not super rare to get over $0.50USD a word: http://whopayswriters.com/#/results

Yeah, most of those companies have much bigger budgets than 95% of companies in the TG industry, but that doesn't mean better arrangements aren't possible. Revenue shares/royalties definitely seem like a good way to go for more small level companies that can't pay more than $0.20–$0.30 a word. But just like in bigger news industries, etc., the larger issue is that there are so many people willing to work for less, bringing down the valuation of everyone's labor. The only way I know that that's been combatted historically is through the organization of labor, but I don't know what the hell a successful attempt at that would look like in this field and would probably require a broader scope, like a freelancers [in general] union. With a "hobby industry" like TG, that drive to "just be included" regardless of lack of fair pay is so strong, so I'm sure no matter what is tried, there will be scabs aplenty.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Only humanity top 1% deserve access to Galt's Gulch Mars.

Imagining missing the point of Total Recall so hard that you think Schwarzenegger and the revolutionaries were the villains.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I appreciate that most of y'all have your hearts in the right place, but you shouldn't impromptu boycott kickstarter until the union asks you to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW I think the people here doing the math on what would be a better pay rate for writers is approaching the topic in a healthier context than the original tweet thread that kinda lost the plot around the same issue of maybe the NYT can pay people a lot better than a TRPG firm

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The last freelance writing job I took paid by the hour, rather than by the word, and my employer just had me report my hours based on research + writing time. To be honest, I was taken aback somewhat, but I guess that's the sort of thing that's possible when you're working in a real industry rather than the niche-within-a-niche that is most of the RPG world.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

JMBosch posted:

In the larger freelance writing industry, it is not super rare to get over $0.50USD a word: http://whopayswriters.com/#/results

I was interested to see there was a post for "Dungeon and Dragons Magazine" here, because WotC can certainly afford to pay a decent rate and it'd be nice to know how much they actually pay people.

:iiam:

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

Tulul posted:

I was interested to see there was a post for "Dungeon and Dragons Magazine" here, because WotC can certainly afford to pay a decent rate and it'd be nice to know how much they actually pay people.

:iiam:
Yeah, can't find contemporary rates. Looks like 5 years ago they only paid $0.06/word for submissions: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/submissions

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Adept Nightingale posted:

It's a ridiculous number; outside of technical writing, I don't know anyone in freelance writing making more than 30 cents a word -- and that's for like, white papers and fairly expertise-heavy topics. I can't decide if he pulled it completely out of thin air, or if he took some "average" including technical writing salaries or something.

He picked a round number and then divided it to get a per word rate.

Bieeanshee posted:

If you actually sabotage them, it causes more ecological damage, see?

Yeah, calling it now, the game's actually about helping the 1%er's leave so you can clean up when they're gone.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Liquid Communism posted:

He picked a round number and then divided it to get a per word rate.

Yeah, calling it now, the game's actually about helping the 1%er's leave so you can clean up when they're gone.

Nah, too obvious. It'll be about how the environmentalists aren't so good after all because they're also hurting the environment when they oppose the leavers' attempts to abandon the planet while stealing resources from those remaining behind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Impermanent posted:

I appreciate that most of y'all have your hearts in the right place, but you shouldn't impromptu boycott kickstarter until the union asks you to.
Why not?

In my case I have no outstanding kickstarter subscriptions, so this is mostly "I don't intend to sign up for any new ones." But I am curious on the theory here, it would seem like public revulsion would be desirable

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

Why not?

In my case I have no outstanding kickstarter subscriptions, so this is mostly "I don't intend to sign up for any new ones." But I am curious on the theory here, it would seem like public revulsion would be desirable

Because a boycott is a tool of negotiation. Removing that tool from the control of the union weakens their ability to bargain. The less control the union has over what's going on, the less they have to bargain with.

E: also, because they have the most info, and when they're saying a boycott only hurts creators rather than Kickstarter, they probably know what they're talking about.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

As I said on the other thread, "I think Kickstarter workers should have a union, but I also think I know better than the union and will disregard what they say if it lets me jump on my soapbox and look like a big drat hero" is kind of a lovely take.

If you want to support the union, support the drat union. If you don't want to follow the union's lead on this issue, then by definition your stance isn't about supporting the union and is more about expressing your own moral indignation to make yourself feel good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I grew up in America, this stuff ain’t always obvious. I appreciate the explanation. Thanks!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Warthur posted:

As I said on the other thread, "I think Kickstarter workers should have a union, but I also think I know better than the union and will disregard what they say if it lets me jump on my soapbox and look like a big drat hero" is kind of a lovely take.

If you want to support the union, support the drat union. If you don't want to follow the union's lead on this issue, then by definition your stance isn't about supporting the union and is more about expressing your own moral indignation to make yourself feel good.

Nothing obligates someone to keep doing business with a lovely company just because the union wants them to.

I think it's acceptable for creators to want to support the union and keep using the platform, while it is -also- acceptable for consumers to go 'you know, I don't want anything to do with those assholes'.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

Liquid Communism posted:

Nothing obligates someone to keep doing business with a lovely company just because the union wants them to.

I think it's acceptable for creators to want to support the union and keep using the platform, while it is -also- acceptable for consumers to go 'you know, I don't want anything to do with those assholes'.
What makes it a thornier issue is that, if there's something you would otherwise back if Kickstarter weren't anti-union assholes, then only 5% of withholding your pledge hurts Kickstarter, and about 90% of withholding your pledge hurts the creators.

Not to say there's no moral justification for withholding your pledge. Just that it disproportionately hits the creators you would otherwise want to support.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What's going to hurt kickstarter's pocketbook is if creators start going elsewhere.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

JMBosch posted:

What makes it a thornier issue is that, if there's something you would otherwise back if Kickstarter weren't anti-union assholes, then only 5% of withholding your pledge hurts Kickstarter, and about 90% of withholding your pledge hurts the creators.

Not to say there's no moral justification for withholding your pledge. Just that it disproportionately hits the creators you would otherwise want to support.

Sadly, that's capitalism working as intended.

Message delivered to creators 'if you use this platform, I won't give you money that goes along to them', and to the platform itself. Framing refusing to do business with Kickstarter as an attack on creators is just what management wants, because they can use the same logic to spin any effort on the part of the union organizers as a threat to them and thus creators.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Argas posted:

Nah, too obvious. It'll be about how the environmentalists aren't so good after all because they're also hurting the environment when they oppose the leavers' attempts to abandon the planet while stealing resources from those remaining behind.

Soviet power + electrification of the countryside = HIGHLY problematic.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Sure, but the people doing the latter shouldn't be claiming they're doing so out of support for the union when they're doing the exact thing the union said isn't needed or helpful yet.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Sadly, that's capitalism working as intended.

Message delivered to creators 'if you use this platform, I won't give you money that goes along to them', and to the platform itself. Framing refusing to do business with Kickstarter as an attack on creators is just what management wants, because they can use the same logic to spin any effort on the part of the union organizers as a threat to them and thus creators.
Did the union organisers ask you to do this?

Because if not, and you're trying to exert economic pressure on creators to boycott Kickstarter (which is effectively what you are trying to encourage them to do by withholding your intended pledge as long as they stay on Kickstarter), and the union has asked that creators not boycott Kickstarter, and you're framing this as an effort you are undertaking on behalf of the union as opposed to working at cross-purposes with the union...

Well. Odd that I have to explain the idea of solidarity and holding the line to someone with the username "Liquid Communism".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Warthur posted:

Did the union organisers ask you to do this?

Because if not, and you're trying to exert economic pressure on creators to boycott Kickstarter (which is effectively what you are trying to encourage them to do by withholding your intended pledge as long as they stay on Kickstarter), and the union has asked that creators not boycott Kickstarter, and you're framing this as an effort you are undertaking on behalf of the union as opposed to working at cross-purposes with the union...

Well. Odd that I have to explain the idea of solidarity and holding the line to someone with the username "Liquid Communism".

Amusingly my username has nothing to do with politics, and is a reference to cosmoline.

Holding the line is well and good. There is no mass boycott taking place. Nobody is saying to pull projects, or pull pledges from projects.

But it is absurd to expect consumers who disagree with KS' policies to feel they have to do additional new business with them while they double down.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

But it is absurd to expect consumers who disagree with KS' policies to feel they have to do additional new business with them while they double down.

It wasn't clear to me whether you were referring to additional new business (ie, pledged on stuff you previously wouldn't have) or shifting your current engagement (ie, refraining from pledging on stuff which you otherwise would have).

And you're obviously free to do as you like - you're just not free to declare you're doing it for the union without people who've paid attention pointing out that the union hasn't asked for a consumer boycott.

You are not doing it for the union. You're doing it out of your own personal sense of right and wrong. That's laudable in its own way so long as you don't expect to get applauded for it, and so long as you don't present it as something you are doing on behalf of a body who have asked no such thing of you.

EDIT: Again, my reaction here is mainly to the behaviour of the editor of Current Affairs, who have pulled their projects and gone ahead with a boycott whilst crying "FOR THE UNION!!!" when the union's current advice to creators is the opposite.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 30, 2019

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

How about instead of "for this one specific union" it's just "because gently caress the anti-union?"

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Warthur posted:

It wasn't clear to me whether you were referring to additional new business (ie, pledged on stuff you previously wouldn't have) or shifting your current engagement (ie, refraining from pledging on stuff which you otherwise would have).

And you're obviously free to do as you like - you're just not free to declare you're doing it for the union without people who've paid attention pointing out that the union hasn't asked for a consumer boycott.

You are not doing it for the union. You're doing it out of your own personal sense of right and wrong. That's laudable in its own way so long as you don't expect to get applauded for it, and so long as you don't present it as something you are doing on behalf of a body who have asked no such thing of you.

EDIT: Again, my reaction here is mainly to the behaviour of the editor of Current Affairs, who have pulled their projects and gone ahead with a boycott whilst crying "FOR THE UNION!!!" when the union's current advice to creators is the opposite.

You should pay attention to what the union folks are actually saying before speaking on their behalf too, they retweeted this from the Current Affairs editor. The stance you're talking about of them saying "hold off," in essence, was weeks ago, before their CEO's latest doubling-down response.

https://twitter.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1177668530864607232?s=20

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Warthur posted:

Okay so I kind of want to recap the advice here because as best as I can tell all decisions are incorrect and hurt the union. :v:

The general perspective would be:

CONSUMERS: Don't pull your money out of established things for this reason. Backing new projects is individual discretion, but you are not being specifically advised not to.
CREATORS: Don't cancel your projects currently ongoing. (I would imagine creators might opt to delay starting new projects or considering other venues, at this point, just to avoid the possibility of needing to choose between "completing the backer phase of your project" and "being a scab" in 3 weeks.)

Is this accurate?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

JMBosch posted:

That depends on how the creator handles things. I mean, I'm planning on only backing the Reaper Bones 5 kickstarter to the tune of $1 (i.e. the minimum possible) - and then spending about $150 on the pledge manager for the core set and shipping - which I assume Kickstarter doesn't get a cut of.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nessus posted:

Okay so I kind of want to recap the advice here because as best as I can tell all decisions are incorrect and hurt the union. :v:

The general perspective would be:

CONSUMERS: Don't pull your money out of established things for this reason. Backing new projects is individual discretion, but you are not being specifically advised not to.
CREATORS: Don't cancel your projects currently ongoing. (I would imagine creators might opt to delay starting new projects or considering other venues, at this point, just to avoid the possibility of needing to choose between "completing the backer phase of your project" and "being a scab" in 3 weeks.)

Is this accurate?

That's where I'm at. I was just about to launch one to defray some costs of manufacture for some soft enamel pins, just stuff from my podcast. But though the union folks aren't specifically calling for a boycott now, I don't want to get caught up in it in two weeks or whatever. It would have been my first KS project and that's not what I want on the track record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

theironjef posted:

That's where I'm at. I was just about to launch one to defray some costs of manufacture for some soft enamel pins, just stuff from my podcast. But though the union folks aren't specifically calling for a boycott now, I don't want to get caught up in it in two weeks or whatever. It would have been my first KS project and that's not what I want on the track record.

The unionizing workers' pinned tweet still advises creators to not cancel current or planned projects. So if you wanna go by what they request, it's fairly clear so far.

https://twitter.com/ksr_united/status/1172511951282483200