Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

carriage updates

https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1177284239848562689?s=21

by fox they mean stations they own (and it's mainly in the biggest cities)

that means sling dropped them too

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1177235540762083328?s=21

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Izzy gets the giggles very early in Highly Questionable today making the show even more off the rails than usual.

Best Sports Talk Show in the game.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

Remember how you used to call AOL to cancel and they would give you free months? Threatening to cancel still works for tons of subscription stuff. It takes me 5 minutes on the phone to get half off XM for my car every year.

Spectrum, the former Time Warner Cable, won't do this anymore, you literally have to cancel and then start up a new account.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
gently caress yes time for Always Late with Katie Nolan premiere!

edit: I love Mina Kimes dominating the Mario (Go-)Kart competition

surf rock fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 27, 2019

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/davidklion/status/1177954350678921225?s=21

no matter the subject, stephen a is the GOAT

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

One the one hand, :laffo:

On the other hand, it's David Klion

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Does he know that skip is on FS1?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Island Nation posted:

Does he know that skip is on FS1?

It's a reference to The Other Famous Stephen A Tweet, from back when they were doing First Take together and it was the worst show in the history of sports televison

https://twitter.com/Hegelbon/status/492741034749620224?s=19

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's still kind of amazing that in the top 10 (5?) tweets of all time, Stephen A parodies show up twice.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are sports argument shows more rational than Cable news argument shows?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are sports argument shows more rational than Cable news argument shows?

No. Hot takes get eyeballs, regardless of topic. Same as any sports/political website that has to make the clickbaitiest headline so it'll get shared around.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Political shows are worse. Imagine if sports talking heads were unabashed fans of certain teams or players and they didn't tell you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ItsPronotRetail/status/1178489782881538048?s=19

Jesus Christ

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

now official

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/1178648871867752448

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My dad calls ESPN+ ‘godless communism’, and I have to correct him that it’s actually godless capitalism.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Ah cool, a service I have will be showing all the Bundesliga games just in time for Koln to go down this season

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ESPN+ is incredibly high value

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DJExile posted:

No. Hot takes get eyeballs, regardless of topic. Same as any sports/political website that has to make the clickbaitiest headline so it'll get shared around.

Sports shows are takey in every directions and with lots of view points (relatively)

Not so true for political shows

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/1179445962399453184

so apparently kornheiser is pissed that the Washington WNBA team in the finals got... mentioned in the Washington paper?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
More that they got second billing to the baseball team. Or maybe I'm just interpreting him too generously from that single tweet that I have not clicked on.

e: read the thread, i was too generous

Kibner fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 2, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

he's basically pissed that they got above the fold.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

More that they got second billing to the baseball team. Or maybe I'm just interpreting him too generously from that single tweet that I have not clicked on.

e: read the thread, i was too generous

Other way around, he's mad they are above the Nats because they are girls and how could they possibly be more important???

Which is of course very dumb, but also doesn't even really make sense given that the Nats are clearly the actual focal point of the page.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 2, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He doesn't seem to understand the function of a strip vs. a centerpiece with a giant loving photo, which is strange for a former newspaperman.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

iirc tony was always dismissive of the wnba

especially now he’s the definition of someone set in his ways

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I guess if you encountered this in a newspaper stand I could see how it looks like the strip gets priority through the window but that's generous.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Henchman of Santa posted:

I guess if you encountered this in a newspaper stand I could see how it looks like the strip gets priority through the window but that's generous.

what newspaper stand is even displaying the front page of the sport section though

semi-honest question as i haven't lived in a major city in a while

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Except Kornheiser is right, and it has nothing to do with mens' vs womens' sports. If the WC game were tonight (with the same outcome), and the Caps home opener was tonight, and they did that with the Caps story across the top, it would just look odd. And that's for a team that is much more popular than the Mystics.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mactheknife posted:

what newspaper stand is even displaying the front page of the sport section though

semi-honest question as i haven't lived in a major city in a while

Good point, I was thinking this was the front page.

Ace Jameson posted:

Except Kornheiser is right, and it has nothing to do with mens' vs womens' sports. If the WC game were tonight (with the same outcome), and the Caps home opener was tonight, and they did that with the Caps story across the top, it would just look odd. And that's for a team that is much more popular than the Mystics.

The Mystics are in the Finals. It's not a random regular season game. And the entire page is devoted to the Nats besides that strip story!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ace Jameson posted:

The Mystics are playing for a title in their sport, the Nats were playing for the right to get thumped by the Dodgers and bounced from the Divisional round for the like the 19th time. And, again, the Nats took up the bulk of the page.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 2, 2019

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

The Mystics are in the Finals. It's not a random regular season game. And the entire page is devoted to the Nats besides that strip story!

Finals, regular season home opener, who's to say what the difference is.

Also the best player in the WNBA getting injured

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
The WNBA finals are still of less interest than the Caps home opener, but ok—if it were DC United in the MLS Cup or whatever it would still be an odd look.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ace Jameson posted:

The WNBA finals are still of less interest than the Caps home opener, but ok—if it were DC United in the MLS Cup or whatever it would still be an odd look.

No it wouldn't, because it's a loving strip on a page with a massive photo centerpiece and multiple storied about the wild card game. That's standard practice on a broadsheet paper. I do this for a living, so trust me on it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's a fraction of the front page of the sports section of a physical newspaper. To overreact to it the way Kornheiser did is both hilarious and sad.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

amazing that all 7 of the people on earth (sans Tony Kornheiser and my dad) who care about sport section newspaper physical page layout post ITT.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Furthermore, there's an ad on the bottom, and sandwiching the Mystics between the two would look awful. Turning their story into a rail would gently caress up the Nats photo. They did an excellent job putting this together.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

also this 100% has nothing to do with the actual decision and more to do with Kornheiser taking any shots he can at the Post. For years I listened to his show (stopped last year because I was sick of hearing his son talk about golf and polo shirts ) and he took every chance he could to bitch at the Post because he's still upset they bought him out some twenty years ago. In an almost equally petty move, Dan Steinberg enjoys pointing out all the dumb poo poo Tony says for his Post Blog/column/tweets because Tony once called him dumb/cheeseboy intern or something and so it creates this incestuous cycle of DC sports media nonsense.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Good point, I was thinking this was the front page.

Wasnt last night game 2 in a best of 5?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

iirc tony was always dismissive of the wnba

especially now he’s the definition of someone set in his ways
He also has a literally decades-long history of completely overreacting and turning into a gigantic rear end in a top hat over completely minor things.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's good for about one solid meltdown on his podcast a year. I've been surprised it took so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

complaining about a literal print newspaper is the most kornheiser thing possible