Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Guys, watchOS is canceled.

Literally unusable.

(They can’t be re-ordered here; it should be alphabetical.)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The true crime is the Voice Memos label also has a space at the start so it’s out of line with the rest. Steve Jobs died for this

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

any decent app for tracking strength workouts if i want to use this at the gym?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Generic Monk posted:

any decent app for tracking strength workouts if i want to use this at the gym?

Strong is gold standard

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Am I missing something or is Now Playing totally redundant?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hadji murad posted:

Am I missing something or is Now Playing totally redundant?

It will show whatever is playing, from any app. So I use it instead of music and overcast both taking a spot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any way to force close all background apps instead of one by one? Yes I know it’s probably very efficient don’t janitor your watch etc etc. but sometimes it bugs out and I just want to wipe them fresh

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Any way to force close all background apps instead of one by one? Yes I know it’s probably very efficient don’t janitor your watch etc etc. but sometimes it bugs out and I just want to wipe them fresh

Just reboot?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vince MechMahon posted:

It will show whatever is playing, from any app. So I use it instead of music and overcast both taking a spot.

I wish there was a now playing complication instead of just music.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
There is, it’s only on certain faces though. Utility is one off the top of my head. It needs a lot of room to display.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Taima posted:

The stainless steel watch has absolutely no differences internally, so no. There are exactly two reasons to get the SS models:

1) The sapphire screen, and the colored coatings on the colored SS watches are more resilient than their aluminum counterparts
2) It looks dope, and you can wear it with more outfits and occasions, whereas the aluminum is more of a casual/workout kinda situation.
I meant the charging puck you get in the box. It’s not entirely plastic like the one aluminum models get.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Guys, watchOS is canceled.

Literally unusable.

(They can’t be re-ordered here; it should be alphabetical.)

It looks almost like Voice Memos has a space in front of it.

Twerkdad posted:

The true crime is the Voice Memos label also has a space at the start so it’s out of line with the rest. Steve Jobs died for this

Beaten lol

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone else having GPS accuracy issues with OS6? I've done four 10k runs since upgrading and all of them have lost about half a KM of distance and the route accuracy on the map is just garbage. Had no issues at all on OS5.

I changed from an SE to an 11 Pro at the same time so I guess it could be phone related, but I run with my phone in a belt where it can't see the sky.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My only GPS weirdness is when I also have my phone with me. I get cut corners like crazy. Works just fine when I leave my phone home.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Pants Donkey posted:

I meant the charging puck you get in the box. It’s not entirely plastic like the one aluminum models get.

I don’t think they actually sell both versions standalone, so I’m sure they aren’t really different beyond materials. I had to replace the cable that came with my aluminum S3 and the one I ordered showed up with the metal housing on the puck.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I swapped by series 5 GPS sport for another watch with cellular (but didn’t activate it) last night. Twice now I’ve hit 10% battery in less than 6 hours of standby with no usage other than looking at the time. On the GPS Series 5 I was getting slightly worse than Series 3 battery.

Anyone have any ideas?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There seems to be an issue with the AOD destroying batteries in the 5, and 6.1 beta allegedly fixes it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There seems to be an issue with the AOD destroying batteries in the 5, and 6.1 beta allegedly fixes it.

My Series 5 sport didn’t have this issue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It’s OS 6 bugginess in general it seems, I saw some complaints about it on S4 watches too. Turning display off helps some, for others it’s the cellular. I saw some posts saying things are magically fine all of a sudden after 2-3 days of poo poo battery. Try stuff out and cross your fingers basically, and hope 6.1 fixes it if nothing else helps.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

peanut- posted:

Anyone else having GPS accuracy issues with OS6? I've done four 10k runs since upgrading and all of them have lost about half a KM of distance and the route accuracy on the map is just garbage. Had no issues at all on OS5.

I changed from an SE to an 11 Pro at the same time so I guess it could be phone related, but I run with my phone in a belt where it can't see the sky.

During the watchOS beta I noticed a lot of weird GPS behaviour, I hope they didn’t bring it out to the final.. was sometimes over counting and then also randomly not able to tell Pace.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jealous Cow posted:

My Series 5 sport didn’t have this issue.

Same. In fact I regularly exceed the 18 hour estimate on my 5.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My battery was never so bad it was dead before work (and I do sleep tracking), but it was noticeably worse the first day I had it compared to my S4. Like maybe 20% lower than normal and that’s with no lte usage. But day two it got closer to normal usage, but I lowered the brightness so that may have influenced it.

Also, people save a negligible amount of battery life with the AOD switched off, so it likely is a software issue.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Bought a Series 3 and the microphone doesn’t work! Siri doesn’t hear anything, and a voice memo is just static. Disappointing especially since it took like two hours to update and set up the watch.

The rest of the watch is great though and I will definitely be returning it for another one that works.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 30, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Siri never works anyway lol.

Ok that’s not fair, it works 10% of the time I want it to.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Siri sucks rear end, and it’s largely with mapping where she’ll give me directions to somewhere in another state whereas Google gets it first try.

I know Siri is compromised because it isn’t storing all your data to analyze and sell, but I feel like maps is something that shouldn’t rely on me?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Siri never works anyway lol.

Ok that’s not fair, it works 10% of the time I want it to.

Is she much worse than phone Siri? I use Siri for stuff on my iPhone all the time and it's good enough for me.

Either way, still want things working right on a brand new $229 device.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

Siri sucks rear end, and it’s largely with mapping where she’ll give me directions to somewhere in another state whereas Google gets it first try.

I know Siri is compromised because it isn’t storing all your data to analyze and sell, but I feel like maps is something that shouldn’t rely on me?
I feel like they need to use better fuzzy logic or something on their search. Like if there’s an exact match somewhere else on earth it’ll pick that instead of the place I was looking for 15 minutes away but spelled wrong or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Siri works pretty well for me, but I don't use it to navigate, so I can't really comment on that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Siri and Apple Maps works great for me but I do live in California though so maybe that has something to do with it. It rarely fucks up.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Siri’s biggest problem is telling me to stay in the left lane when I’m five lanes over and my exit it in 500 feet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just got back from Best Buy with the exchanged watch. I think the old one was old stock, since the new one is in a much slimmer box (sans wall wart, but I don't really need another drat 5w charger anyway.) This one appears to have WatchOS 6 installed already, or at least it didn't force an update before setting up. Hopefully it'll work much better.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 30, 2019

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

savesthedayrocks posted:

There is, it’s only on certain faces though. Utility is one off the top of my head. It needs a lot of room to display.
Oh wow that's my kinda poo poo. Thanks!

What's crazy is how the Now Playing stuff even reflects what's on the Apple TV if you have one of those. A real :aaaaa: moment first time I saw that. The future is now baby.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’m Scottish so Siri can only understand me a fraction of the time. American privilege is actually being able to use speech recognition software.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Minidust posted:

Oh wow that's my kinda poo poo. Thanks!

What's crazy is how the Now Playing stuff even reflects what's on the Apple TV if you have one of those. A real :aaaaa: moment first time I saw that. The future is now baby.

It integrates with carplay real well also. But I'd be careful doing that because society has decided that tapping buttons on a radio is socially acceptable, but doing it on your watch will get you a distracted driving ticket. :iiam:

I tend to do hey siri through my watch while driving too. Not sure if they have some siri magic so that only one device activates at a time or what but the watch seems to work best for me due to a poor cabin mic on my car and my phone being in a pocket.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

6.0.1 is out

quote:

Resolves an issue where the Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse watch face does not speak time
Addresses an issue where the calendar complication may not display events
Fixes a bug that could result in a loss of display calibration data

Thank god that calendar bug was annoying as hell.

Violator
May 15, 2003

It's a shame the releases this year were buggy, but I'm super happy that they're pushing out a steady stream of updates.

I've always hoped they would do more incremental updates. I really hate when a bug or feature isn't fixed/updated and then in June or September you have to resign yourself to "Oh well, maybe next year."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, the battery on my 5 doesn’t completely suck rear end in a top hat anymore on 6.0.1 with AOD on!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wow, the battery on my 5 doesn’t completely suck rear end in a top hat anymore on 6.0.1 with AOD on!

I like how the release notes don’t mention battery life.

I had to charge my watch twice today.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

fourwood posted:

Just reboot?

swiping is still faster to force close all apps :/

was just wondering if there was a trick I might have been missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

It integrates with carplay real well also. But I'd be careful doing that because society has decided that tapping buttons on a radio is socially acceptable, but doing it on your watch will get you a distracted driving ticket. :iiam:

I tend to do hey siri through my watch while driving too. Not sure if they have some siri magic so that only one device activates at a time or what but the watch seems to work best for me due to a poor cabin mic on my car and my phone being in a pocket.
They do! I forget what exactly, I think something with comparing time stamps/time of flight data to see which device was closest and heard you first.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

swiping is still faster to force close all apps :/

was just wondering if there was a trick I might have been missing
Well there’s no swiping on watchOS unless it’s new. If I’m remembering right, the method is...really slow, to the point that you might as well restart on a newer/faster watch. From within the app you hold the side button until you get the power/emergency screen, then hold the crown button until it closes. Then do it for every app that’s open. Which you don’t technically know outside of the dock ones. And even if you close them they’ll still be in the dock (running or not? Who knows!) cause that’s how it works.