Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It’s Texas, and she’s a young white woman accused of killing a black man.

She might not be found not guilty, but she’s never going to be found guilty.

Shits just not gonna happen. It’s sad, but it’s true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

This is the one where she was drunk, went to the wrong apartment and shot the occupant right?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Flikken posted:

This is the one where she was drunk, went to the wrong apartment and shot the occupant right?

I don't think she was drunk, but otherwise yes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1177767879229497349?s=19

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That explains a lot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

So how do we begin to fix this?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Mr. Nice! posted:

Amber Guyger’s trial started this week. Charged with murder.

Long as the prosecutors don't gently caress it up.

https://twitter.com/jdmiles11/status/1176178065627635712

narrator: they hosed up

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/23/amber-guyger-trial-banned-device-dallas-county-john-creuzot-interview-before-testimony/

irony is iirc Creuzot ran and won on pushing to charge Guyger. It was the dumbest thing he could have done.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Brute Squad posted:

Long as the prosecutors don't gently caress it up.

https://twitter.com/jdmiles11/status/1176178065627635712

narrator: they hosed up

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/23/amber-guyger-trial-banned-device-dallas-county-john-creuzot-interview-before-testimony/

irony is iirc Creuzot ran and won on pushing to charge Guyger. It was the dumbest thing he could have done.

Prosecutors work for the police, people.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Brute Squad posted:

It was the dumbest thing he could have done.

It might keep a cop out of jail and the other cops on his side. lol if you think a prosecutor is gonna actually go after a cop

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Wasabi the J posted:

The federal government is largely powerless to fix this. It'd also take a complete shift in how law enforcement is viewed and treated and lmao.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
they should impeach the prosecutor for loving up on his at bat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Afaik the prosecutor’s only fuckup was the press conference, which thankfully did not taint the jury pool and has not resulted in any adverse action from the judge besides the asschewing.

I hope the jury convicts. She’s guilty as gently caress. She broke into a man’s house and killed him.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Why would the judge not at least drop a contempt charge?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EBB posted:

Why would the judge not at least drop a contempt charge?

There was no need for one. The prosecutor shouldn’t have had the press conference, but it was ultimately harmless. If it had caused an actual problem, then the judge might have sanctioned the attorney in sone way.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

If you guys have seen video from the trial the prosecutor isn't really pulling any punches. He seems to genuinely hate her, too, as we all should.

She's trying the "I wish it was meeeeeeee" defense, too. The way it's been going I really see a conviction coming, there's no real defense.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I did enjoy the judge's reaction when she heard about the DA's press conference.

If the DA was in the courtroom, he might've died that day. Metaphorically, at least.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Domestic Violence is loving dirty and terrible. I don’t envy the cops, victims, or anyone really in a DV situation. I’m pretty much a “gently caress the police” guy but I feel bad for them on DV calls. Well maybe not bad, but I hope that things go well for them because holy poo poo when they don’t look out.

The death penalty is horribly misapplied and terrible but a big part of me loves having empty fantasies about summary execution in DV and animal torture cases. Those assholes account for most of the other crime anyway.

Flikken posted:

yes and her defense is literally that she was too horny to know she was on the wrong floor of the building

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 28, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Is cool im back in genpop and will remain the hero cops need right now.

I HOPE this isnt what happens but the two cops who raped a girl they were arresting in the back of a police vehicle got pled down to bribery and bad conduct so im expecting rhis to end up with her pleading down to invokuntary manslaughter or trespassing or some other weak poo poo. Id be less inclined to believe this but you already had the press conference with the guy laying the groundwork of a stupid sentence

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If she was going to have a plea agreement, it would have happened well before trial. She will get a jury verdict. Hopefully one of murder.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

Is cool im back in genpop and will remain the hero cops need right now.

You're on thin ice, don't push it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Embrace the fact that eventually Whites will be the minority in this country, and there’s going to have to be some Truth and Reconciliation South Africa style.

I’ll be long dead, but it’s going to happen.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Embrace the fact that eventually Whites will be the minority in this country, and there’s going to have to be some Truth and Reconciliation South Africa style.

I’ll be long dead, but it’s going to happen.

I don't think white folks are ready to reconcile poo poo. I'd expect a gun brawl first.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

:lol:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Just loving lol

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1178730294498619392?s=19

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How the gently caress is it castle doctrine when you're in another person's castle?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

EBB posted:

How the gently caress is it castle doctrine when you're in another person's castle?

literally gonna set a precedent to make murder legal, just to get a cop off.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Sigh. I loving knew it.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Literally loving called it when the news first officially broke. A murderer is going to walk free because they had a badge on, which is the common theme of these things. Cops walk when they murder innocent people as long as the innocent person they murder has dark skin.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I mean in a sane world, that would mean "the guy who got murdered had absolutely no duty to run away from the person who broke into his home."

We'll see if that's how it plays out.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If this doesnt get her off next time theyll try plan b, immediately after the killing they'll declare the victim a domestic terrorism suspect that resisted bring detained so that way its easier to make the aRe HeRoEs defence

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stravag posted:

If this doesnt get her off next time theyll try plan b, immediately after the killing they'll declare the victim a domestic terrorism suspect so that way its easier to make the aRe HeRoEs defence

I mean they charged the Blues Brothers reenactor that drove an SUV through Woodfield Mall with terrorism, so, uh, they're already doing it? Except they didn't kill the Woodfield Mall driver.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

My Spirit Otter posted:

literally gonna set a precedent to make murder legal, just to get a cop off.

How is this real life?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol come on, it's a cop, of course they'd do this

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
like the first fact the Texas Rangers announced in this case was that they found weed in the apartment

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This would be a good thing if Amber Guyger, a law-abiding person of color sitting on her couch, used lethal force to defend herself against Officer Botham Jean, a cop so deranged by horniness that they entered the wrong apartment. Otherwise holy loving poo poo gently caress that judge.

Edit: reading the article, it seems like the prosecution didn’t want SYG considered in this case, yet the judge ruled that it should be anyhow? What the gently caress is this?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Professor Bling posted:

I mean they charged the Blues Brothers reenactor that drove an SUV through Woodfield Mall with terrorism, so, uh, they're already doing it? Except they didn't kill the Woodfield Mall driver.

I think with the suv thing they decided they didnt have a properly defined statute on the books so rather than try to go after for him like dangerous driving or reckless endangerment or however its named they used a terrorism charge to make sure that if convicted he goes away for a while instead on some 2-3 month sentence. I almost can see the justification in that particular instance even if i dont agree or like the idea of a huge umbrella catch all charge that has very long term sentence possibilities just to make sure if you decide gently caress this guy in particular you can give him basically life (20+) without having to actually give life. Last i knew the definitions for a terrorism charge were intentionally vague for that reason.

If you declare the person you kill in weird circumstances a suspected terrorist in a lot of post 9/11 peoples minds they stop caring and just go yup gotta stop the terrorists and drop it cuz they dont want another 9/11.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Professor Bling posted:

Literally loving called it when the news first officially broke. A murderer is going to walk free because they had a badge on, which is the common theme of these things. Cops walk when they murder innocent people as long as the innocent person they murder has dark skin.

she wasn't wearing her badge :suicide101:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

she wasn't wearing her badge :suicide101:

In some states you dont have to be in uniform or on duty for whatever crime you did to instantly get upped to a felony charge if a first responder was involved. Last i knew NY was one of them and i think mass was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This would be a good thing if Amber Guyger, a law-abiding person of color sitting on her couch, used lethal force to defend herself against Officer Botham Jean, a cop so deranged by horniness that they entered the wrong apartment. Otherwise holy loving poo poo gently caress that judge.

Edit: reading the article, it seems like the prosecution didn’t want SYG considered in this case, yet the judge ruled that it should be anyhow? What the gently caress is this?

Like I said, one interpretation is "Botham Jean had no obligation to back off when some random person broke into his home."