Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Speaking of the Iran-Iraq war why was Syria supporting Iran? Didn’t the Iraqies send several divisions to save their rear end in the Yom Kippur war?

Saddam Hussein took power to stop a possible union between the iraqi and syrian Ba’ath party because his personal power threatened by this merger so the entire beef between the Iraqi and Syrian Ba’ath was a personal feud between Saddam and Hafez so naturally Hafez sided with Iran against his nemesis and from there the sectarianization started.

Anyways, the entire thing about possible Saudi soldiers getting captured is gonna be settled in a couple hours if the houthis put forth evidence.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
https://twitter.com/narrabyee/status/1177991878567956480

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Uh I kinda hope they’re not gonna parade a bunch of corpses around lol, especially if it’s just a bunch of Saudi child soldiers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Meanwhile, in Saudi Arabia, the king's bodyguard was shot dead by a friend.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/29/bodyguard-saudi-king-reportedly-shot-dead-friend-abdulaziz-al-fagham

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Randarkman posted:

It's not that exciting really as far as I can tell, just the normal thing of Israel being a wild card and at the time being more concerned about Iraq than Iran. They sold them arms, supposedly with the consent of the US in the early 80s at least during the time when the Iraqis were still on Iranian territory and were beginning their counterattack. That's atleast what's been disclosed.

Israel was also involved in the Iran-Contra Affair, which saw the US selling arms to Iran, in order to get cash to illegally fund Contras in Nicaragua.

Its a wild story for anyone that hasn't heard of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The most detailed tweet posted earlier in the thread said that they got a Saudi regiment (plus senior officers), and the three brigades were South Yemen soldiers who were trained by the Saudis. That would certainly explain why they folded so hard - much easier to surrender to your countrymen.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

The most detailed tweet posted earlier in the thread said that they got a Saudi regiment (plus senior officers), and the three brigades were South Yemen soldiers who were trained by the Saudis. That would certainly explain why they folded so hard - much easier to surrender to your countrymen.

That's still a full fuckin' division. That's a devastating defeat.

This on top of the attack on the oil field attack, makes me think that dead body guard means the sharks are circling MBS and smelling blood.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

This on top of the attack on the oil field attack, makes me think that dead body guard means the sharks are circling MBS and smelling blood.

MBS fired the dead bodyguard a month ago. Hard to say who his death was supposed to send a message to.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Just so we get the definitions out of the way (sorta), the "understood" sizes of military formations are:

Company = 200ish
Battalion = 1,000
Regiment = 2,000ish
Brigade = 5,000
Division = 10,000
Army corps = 30,000
Army = 100,000ish

Now: this is mostly based in the wars of the French revolution and Napoleon. For the last 200 years, these expected numbers has in practice changed between countries and even branches of the same military. One countries brigade is not the same as anothers (not even counting wartime and understrenght formations).

And that is only valid for (basically) cold war US and Soviet formations et al. In Syria there's been random dudes and his 20 peeps naming themselves Brigade/Division and so on.

tl/dr: if the Houthis say they captured 3 Saudi commanded Brigades, it could mean anything. Maybe thousands, maybe 600.
If Napoleon says he captured 3 brigades, its abt +-15,000 soldiers.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Appears to be a video of combat, fair warning

https://twitter.com/narrabyee/status/1178297122392875008?s=21

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 29, 2019

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Might want to include a disclaimer that this is a video of active combat, for those who are troubled by such things.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That looks like 20-40 APCs and trucks in a now abandoned convoy. So that's 1 company accounted for, only 14,500 soldiers left?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Haystack posted:

Might want to include a disclaimer that this is a video of active combat, for those who are troubled by such things.

Sorry, edited

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Considering how hosed Saudi Army organization is it wouldnt surprise me if brigades are limited in size just to prevent consolidation of power.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
They probably meant Battalions when they said brigades. 3 battalions and a command regiment would be in the low thousands for troop count

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Those 8 wheeled vehicles might be Canadian LAVs. I hope so anyway.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Those 8 wheeled vehicles might be Canadian LAVs. I hope so anyway.

Thats what they look like. The convoy looks like a mixture of LAV IIIs and MRAPs. The MRAPs look like MaxxPros if I’m not mistaken

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So it’s as I suspected, most of the people captured were Yemenis, I can’t find any uniformed Saudi soldiers in their videos and pictures so I’m going to assume they were few of them. Still, embarrassing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Haystack posted:

From the leisurely way the men close to camera are walking, my interpretation is that the gunshots heard on the video are more likely jubilant shots into the air. My understanding of Middle eastern militia's ammunition consumption based on a number of videos seen over the years is that one third goes into firing into air/at random objects in the horizon when you're approaching the target, one third is fired all over the place when engaged with the enemy, and then the last third is fired into air when the enemy retreats. Remember to fire full automatic with AK-47 without aiming, you may not hit anything but the side that makes the biggest racket usually wins.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1178300001480511491

Looks bad guys

Also are those Type-81 rifles? EDIT: Nah just regular AKs

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Hmm, naw I think that's a Throatwarbler post.

Oh you mean the video.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
How likely is it that the fire in Jeddah and the death of the bodyguard are somehow related to what's going on in Yemen? I see some Twitter accounts very vaugely suggesting some sort of infighting going on within the Saudi government. But it's hard to find any English language sources that get at how credible that might be or anything more specific that "poo poo seems to be hitting the fan."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

How likely is it that the fire in Jeddah and the death of the bodyguard are somehow related to what's going on in Yemen? I see some Twitter accounts very vaugely suggesting some sort of infighting going on within the Saudi government. But it's hard to find any English language sources that get at how credible that might be or anything more specific that "poo poo seems to be hitting the fan."

Saudi Arabia is hot and poorly run. Things sometimes catch on fire because there isn't enough reason for them to not catch on fire.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Also saying that there is infighting in the Saudi government is like saying that the sky is blue. The minor Princes are always at each other's throats and it's almost surprising that MBS has gone this without a major coup or assassination attempt against him yet.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A prof from a German army university security research institute thingy tweeted that the Saudi government collapsing isn't out of the question, so serious people seem to be thinking that it's possible. This has got to be one of the worst instances of a regime making GBS threads the bed in recent history. Props to the Iranians and Houthis kinda, they are dicks but they sure showed those sheiks.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Edit: nevermind the video was removed.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Already gone

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The King's ex-bodyguard getting shot dead in a random drunk argument is dumb enough to be true but it happening just days after he was sacked is pretty suspicious. The railway fire is probably just a fire, though. On the question of Saudi infighting, I have no doubt at all that various factions within the Saudi royal family are evaluating the increasing weakness of MBS's position and considering whether now is a good time to make a decisive move against him.

I fully expect MBS to be either dead, or living in CIA-sponsored exile within the year, tbh.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Remember when an American equipped and trained army was routed from one of their nation's largest cities by a much smaller irregular force of guys riding technicals?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

What happened to the Saudis is far more embarassing. The Saudis have better equipment, an air force, and they lost on open ground where they should theoretically hold an overwhelming advantage.

The Iraqis didn't have a real air force at the time of the fall of Mosul, and were operating in urban areas where the local population hated the government.

3peat
May 6, 2010

A ton of vehicles, prisoners and dead bodies, it gets very NSFL at times. The pictures floating around seem to have been taken from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DdNiQXjoz0

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Guardian says 500 dead, 2000 captured. No confirmation, but juat as importantly no denial from Saudi Arabia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/29/houthis-claim-killed-hundreds-saudi-soldiers-captured-thousands

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Rumor has it that MBS sleeps on a barge in the middle of a lake out of fear of assassination. No idea if it's true but lol that it's extremely believable.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
People are gonna make dien bien phu comparisons with this, but it seems more la rue sans joie than anything else. The book of the same name is a very good read on how technically superior forces get hosed up in harsh local environments through hubris and a weird insistence on convoying through horrible terrain you should never convoy through.

https://www.amazon.com/Street-Without-Joy-Indochina-Stackpole-ebook/dp/B07CW4Q8J3

The author, bernard fall is a cool motherfucker who lost two parents to the nazis after they fought in the resistance, who himself joined the resistance, who then went to indochina and wrote the definitive books on french colonial failures. Hell in a Very Small Place is pretty much the definitive book on dien bien phu and good lord is it a read. Fall also died in Vietnam in 67 so he never even scratched the surface of how deep of a quagmire it would eventually become.

Decent write up on it here, forcing a convoy through a perfect ambush spot is kind of a timeless military fuckup, but jfc it's one of the few ways you can lose a hugely superior force so consistently. In the French situation they had 10,000 troops get routed by maybe a thousand defenders who took nearly no losses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Camargue
also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cao_B%E1%BA%B1ng_(1949)

E: watching that long video above, good lord yeah it looks like a literal repeat of the French route 1 debacle where a huge french force got bogged down in an area where they had no cover after the lead vehicles in the convoy were taken out and then suffered huge casualties from a bunch of entrenched forces raining down all kinds of fire as they tried to get the convoy moving again.

E2: of note, a lot of the captured appear to be non-uniformed militia types and also extremely young, like definitely a lot of teenagers in there. The range that some of the ambush happened at is insanely close and there was literally zero cover for saudi forces either to fight from or to flee towards. I'm curious about the overall timeline because if they attacked the high ground position (that was obviously there to offset the vulnerability of this stretch of road) and the saudis still forced a convoy through that area unprotected then jfc that's so bad. If it was contemporaneous, then that's more of a gamble

E3; btw that footage is hella nms, there're a ton of bodies in there

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 30, 2019

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Just saw an ad for MBS on 60 Minutes coming up, sounds like he gets asked point blank if he ordered the murder.

Also, does Iraq have a functioning Air Force now?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zurakara posted:

Rumor has it that MBS sleeps on a barge in the middle of a lake out of fear of assassination. No idea if it's true but lol that it's extremely believable.

I bet be becomes the first Saudi prince to die by drowning.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

bradburypancakes posted:

Just saw an ad for MBS on 60 Minutes coming up, sounds like he gets asked point blank if he ordered the murder.

Also, does Iraq have a functioning Air Force now?

Yeah more or less, idk if it is extremely capable, but yeah they definitely field an alright airforce. For a lot of the war against ISIS the US was funneling any strike likely to produce a lot of civilian casualties through the iraqi air force.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Looks like Canada will be able to keep the LAVIII production lines open for a while yet. Those were supposedly for the Saudi national guard and are pretty new, so I would think they would be using Saudi soldiers and not irregulars to crew them(who knows).

Yeah not the best area to run a convoy through, but it was in their own territory, right?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Some of the captured were definitely regular soldiers, looked like they got a bunch of officers, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Looks like Canada will be able to keep the LAVIII production lines open for a while yet. Those were supposedly for the Saudi national guard and are pretty new, so I would think they would be using Saudi soldiers and not irregulars to crew them(who knows).

Yeah not the best area to run a convoy through, but it was in their own territory, right?

Any "reason" a country gives for supplying lethal aid is always a loving lie. No matter what. Its a blue faced way of telling people that your weapons of war are being used for ~~~peacekeeping~~~. Flat out lies accross the board.
--
An LAV or MRAP is made to deflect insurgency heavy weapons . The fact thay they surrendered shows bad generalling and no command and control on the company level. They could have circled wagons essentially and routed the irregular infantry with superior firepower. But they are too focused on getting back to the big saudi shopping mall to give a poo poo about fighting with decency. Morale has been at a near zero level since the houthis won the fighting season. The officers all want to go home.