Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
drat big progress today! Shopkitchen looking pretty good to work in, I like the light in there a lot. I worked once with a guy who convinced himself he needed a beamsaw for a couple 4x4 cuts lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Having the dust collection hooked up makes a huge difference to my willingness to start a task, since I don't have to deal with faffing about minimising dust and then cleaning up as much after.

I'm sure I don't need a beamsaw, but I wouldn't say no to an infeed table.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
That garden of yours is going to need a napalm strike at some point. But a great view of it through those doors.

I’m doing a similar thing just now (bought a Victorian house in the UK in need of some renovation), but work inside is kind of stalled waiting on quotes & builders, so I’ve been mainly doing gardening recently.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah, it's, uh, a bit wild out there.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

After some consideration, I mocked up where the mitre saw is to be stored. I initially thought I could attach a board *under* the bottom supports to get enough extra height for the dust collector to go under there, but if I did that I'd not be able to let the saw stick out at all because of the front grip business. So it's going on top as normal.

I couldn't be bothered taking the riving knife out of the table saw so I could cut this board on top, so I just did it on the floor. This piece was going to be the top of the table but I changed my mind. The insulation boards are light enough to move around easily, but sturdy enough to provide support and a sacrificial cutting surface.

I know this stuff is 18mm so a 20mm cut will do nicely.

Nice.

OK now that's cut down some I can work with it on the table.

The cross support makes an annoying surface for cutting, so I chopped up something from the offcuts bin. I probably could've done better by letting the cross piece sit between the two insulation pads but whatever, it worked.

All trimmed to size, just needed to cut a channel to fit over the bottom supports. Did this with a hand saw because I couldn't be bothered to set up a safe cut with the track saw. Chisel to pop the piece off (was glued on).

Slotted in place and screwed down.

Right, now that's out of the way (and only took half an hour or so) I can move on to various slidey bits.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't like working while hungover.

Dragged some MDF out of the pile, this was recovered from some furniture I made with nought more than a jigsaw, hence it's neither square nor straight.

Mark and cut. Need to get two panels from each sheet. (I checked, there's room)

Test fit, bueno. Now these aren't properly square because I cba, but at least the edges are straight now.

Can use the others as a template for more.

Now, I was hoping to have the full panel extend on a single drawer runner, but they're not in stock in that size (and probably not commonly made that long) so I'm going to have to split them in two and have them run out of both sides of the table.

Cuttin' them all at once though.

Alright, 8 panels ready to go. They only had 3 of the runners I wanted in stock, so I'll pick up the rest tomorrow, which is also likely when I'll cut up the supports for the runners and actually fit the panels.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Excited to see how these sliding walls work. Are you just doing one slide on one side at the top or one on each side at the top or one top and one bottom or what?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Excited to see how these sliding walls work. Are you just doing one slide on one side at the top or one on each side at the top or one top and one bottom or what?

One top and bottom on the same side is the current plan. Still unknown whether it will survive contact with reality.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So next step on adding drawer runners is to have some supports to screw them into. Quick scrounge in the offcuts bin turned up a few candidates.

Wanted some more so I grabbed a full width offcut and attacked it with the table saw.

Now, I made 3 mistakes while doing this.
1. I forgot about the kerf of the blade while doing the maths which meant instead of 4 equal sized pieces I ended up with 2 equal and one overlarge. Not the end of the world.
2. I hooked up the dust collection but forgot to turn it on.
3. While distracted by the non-functional dust collection I should've either a) ignored it or b) stopped the cut and figured it out. Instead I carried on while looking away from the blade and drove my thumb straight into it. Fortunately just a tiny nick with no real damage, but it served to remind me that I was dealing with a very dangerous tool and I should be paying attention. This is a recurring issue when I operate heavy or dangerous machinery first thing in the morning.

Anyway, lengths of wood achieved, next part should be relatively easy.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah table saw is a big level up in ability to rapidly amputate your finger! Eyes on the cut all the time. Glad it wasn’t anything worse.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

table saw is the one tool I'll probably never buy. I'm totally fine with everything else and use them frequently, but there is absolutely nothing in between you and that blade on a table saw and it creeps me out.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
JB almost lost their probe finger, we were so close to being free. Another really common mistake is gripping a piece really hard thinking you're gonna hold the heck out of it and not get cut! And then it binds and sucks your hand in funny.

Make then use a push stick!

Ghostnuke posted:

table saw is the one tool I'll probably never buy. I'm totally fine with everything else and use them frequently, but there is absolutely nothing in between you and that blade on a table saw and it creeps me out.

That's too bad it's a great tool. You should get someone to help familiarize yourself with one

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Oh I've used them many times, they just skeeve me out. It's irrational, sure.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Rule of thumb. Don't touch the spinny part.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Don't want to lost fingat :ohdear:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

schmug posted:

Rule of thumb. Don't touch the spinny part.

In fact, rule of full body, not just thumb.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm a huge pussy and bout a tiny Ryobi table saw used and it just sits in my basement unused and when I think of using it I just immediately picture my fingers going into the blade. I might have to build a 6 foot long push block.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Ghostnuke posted:

Just to be clear I think its completely rational to be wary of a table saw, they're just very useful and you can mitigate most if not all the danger pretty easily.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

schmug posted:

Rule of stump. Don't touch the spinny part.

ftfy

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Have you seen those cool videos of those table saws that detect fingers in like super speed and smash themselves down out of the way. I regeneration YouTube videos of them like whacking a weiner against the blade in slow motion and Wham the whole table micro jumps as the blade disappears. Afterwards they show you the hot dog and is got like the softest nick on it. It's cool.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Have you seen those cool videos of those table saws that detect fingers in like super speed and smash themselves down out of the way. I regeneration YouTube videos of them like whacking a weiner against the blade in slow motion and Wham the whole table micro jumps as the blade disappears. Afterwards they show you the hot dog and is got like the softest nick on it. It's cool.

Sawstops, yeah. Issue is they're chiefly american and a very premium brand right now.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Fingers? I have 10 of those. Dollars are much more rare

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I need to angle and seal the rear skylights before the cold sets in for real, so I'm booking next Wednesday off to do it as it'll be a dry day.

I need to do some literal backyard engineering to move the 2m by 1m thick glass panels out of the way, and then figure out how to cut a taper on my table saw for the firring strips.

Adventure!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slide panel things time!

Cutting some stuff by hand, didn't want to drag out the power tools.

Put on some bars to provide some depth to screw into. I need more clamps.

[several days later]

I bought more clamps.

And, unrelated, some calipers.

Anyway, bottom support marked up and in place.

And top.

Attaching the top runner.

And the bottom one.

"drawer" slide fitting. Quite tricky to get everything aligned and shaved down etc. Once the top one was in place it made fitting the bottom one nice and easy.

There we go.

Not exactly huge but there'll be 8 of them in total when I'm done.

I might not bother with the glued on supports next time since I wound up just going with the in-box screws in the end, and not all that many of them, but at least it's there if I need more or longer in the future.

I hate doing first-time steps in projects like this because I always wind up drained as heck, but at least the next lot will be rote.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

No house-work today as I'm run ragged with post-op complications after the rat's surgery. He may have to go in for a surgical debridement on Wednesday which I'd very much like to avoid for various reasons including financial but mostly as he might die from it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Stay safe rats!

It seems like the sliding things are going to work well, which is an exciting development. How do you think you'll hang stuff on them?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It seems like the sliding things are going to work well, which is an exciting development. How do you think you'll hang stuff on them?

Poorly, probably!

Initial thought is sticking some screws in, which I have in volume, maybe dowels later on? Guess we'll have to see.

Fortunately the runners have latches for removing the "drawer" so I can take them out completely to work on.

I've spoken with my decorator and she's available in November, so I can hopefully get some progress going elsewhere. Having disposable income again is useful, it turns out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alright did get something done that's been annoying me.

On the odds, I find it much more likely that I'll lock myself out than to go out and accidentally leave the door unlocked, so I chose doors that don't automatically lock.

This is fine, broadly speaking, but it means if I want to lock the door while I'm in the house I have to use a key, which is annoying.

So..

Some leftover holes from the previous location of the hinges, one of which can be reused, plus two new ones.

Drill screw drill screw etc

Bueno.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Why couldn't use just get a lock like this that's keyed externally but has the easy throw lock/unlock inside?

I mean your solution is fine I guess but I'm not a fan of the look.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Why couldn't use just get a lock like this that's keyed externally but has the easy throw lock/unlock inside?

I mean your solution is fine I guess but I'm not a fan of the look.

The lock is integrated into the entire side of the door, so it throws bolts across the height of it when locked. There'd be no place to put a flush lock of that kind.

I could potentially swap out the cylinder for one with an external key and internal toggle, but I'm not a fan of those since someone could reach through the letterbox and open the door.

It looks fine to me, I actually like the way it mirrors the hinges on the other side (perhaps not pictured).

Being able to open the door safely is another benefit, and I don't like the look/feel of chains on doors.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ah yeah I forgot about English doors having the mail slot. And with your lock being an integrated full length thing that certainly changes how to approach things.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've seen a few techniques that work in the US too, like slightly wacky hook things that will slide under a door and rotate at the end to turn the latch.

Not that anyone's likely to break into my house that way, but yeah with the letterbox it'd be offensively easy to break in unless I put a cage around it or something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've seen a few techniques that work in the US too, like slightly wacky hook things that will slide under a door and rotate at the end to turn the latch.

Not that anyone's likely to break into my house that way, but yeah with the letterbox it'd be offensively easy to break in unless I put a cage around it or something.

Just get a huge ugly plastic shroud to surround the lock!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnmcRTnTNC8&t=1137s

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Both rats are doing better, no surgery needed. Whew!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

:glomp: Im glad to hear it! I had a rat growing up that I was really attached to. They can be pretty special. Both my dogs just had some serious surgery so I know how bad the anxiety can get. Also how expensive ffffuck back to rice and beans

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

:glomp: Im glad to hear it! I had a rat growing up that I was really attached to. They can be pretty special. Both my dogs just had some serious surgery so I know how bad the anxiety can get. Also how expensive ffffuck back to rice and beans

Previous surgery on one of them was over £500.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Brutal. My little jerk just donated ~3lbs of tumor to the vet, it cost $3k. I had that much luckily but :moonrio: back to zero we go!

edit: jeez poor lil fella!! VVV

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 1, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yowch. Mine was like 80g of tumour or something, but in a 500g rat..

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Had a dry day today, so I went up on the roof to seal up the edges of the fibreglass. Not critical because it's only a small gap and there's a full roof underneath this one, but best to get it done before winter.

First up cleared some standing water (which will be dealt with properly later) which is for some reason bright red. Doubtless some terrible microbial bloom.

This is the gap I'm filling.

I did a couple of sections with roofing sealant, but the gaps are just large enough to be annoying and wasteful, so I'll just tape it.

Been hearing from mates that the weather has been torrential in the UK the past few days. How did the roof repair stand up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Been hearing from mates that the weather has been torrential in the UK the past few days. How did the roof repair stand up?

Hard to say, since I can't see underneath to see if there's ingress, but the tape is certainly still there. I bought specifically waterproof "OK to leave in the rain" stuff so hopefully that helped. Really it just has to deflect direct rain and shed anything running off the wood directly next to it, so fortunately it doesn't have too tough a job.

I'm working up on the roof today, so expect another update soon :)