Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

loving god, I wish any of my LGSes drafted this weekend.

It's against the rules so I'd be surprised if they risked it. Just get gud and draft your winnings I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh, I see. Did posters mentioning drafting mean "opened in sealed pool(s)"?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

they will probably institute a no politics rule rather than anything else. a lot of magic players are chuds and the owner is going to want to tiptoe around alienating their clientele.

the owner might also be a chud because small business owners are pretty much trump's whole demographic.

"small business owner" is and always has been a code word for rich people

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

little munchkin posted:

Often, but like one or two of them aren't irredeemable shits about it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Managed to get a foiled Oko, Thief of Crowns as my promo card. My LGS has it listed for $120 but that seems waaaaay beyond the prices everywhere else but I guess I'll drop in tomorrow to see how much they'll give me for it. And probably play more pre-release.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Try and trade (or sell to a player not at an LGS) it first!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

:thunk:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Emry + Vantress Gargoyle seems pretty good.

It is! I also had 2 Scaulding Cauldrons, which were the real reason I played Emry.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tubgoat posted:

That is how you get cooking oil. I couldn't think of anything else offhand that one presses relentlessly.

A shameful goon, how is :f5: not the first thing to spring to mind

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

little munchkin posted:

I thought it was 50/50 between people who were rich and people on the edge of bankruptcy

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

ilmucche posted:

I thought it was 50/50 between people who were rich and people on the edge of bankruptcy

As a small business owner, I can confirm that it's this

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I :swoon: janky superfriends even if it has some really awful match ups right now.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
lovestruck beast might be the best limited card below mythic in this set lmao

there's a lot of mono-green abysses in this format but this one costs 3 and isn't GGG

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It feels so weird that you can’t get showcase commons in normal boosters. I’m trying to get a set of showcase Merfolk Secretkeeker but they’re basically nonexistent right now.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tubgoat posted:

Try and trade (or sell to a player not at an LGS) it first!

Dovetailing off of this, I picked up a card at the prerelease that I think will be at least reasonably valuable: a showcase foil Midnight Rider. I don't really play outside prereleases and EDH anymore, so trading doesn't really sound like something I want to bother with. So, how do people generally unload something like this for cash/credit?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

ungulateman posted:

lovestruck beast might be the best limited card below mythic in this set lmao

there's a lot of mono-green abysses in this format but this one costs 3 and isn't GGG

Can confirm, that card was basically my downfall both rounds last night. You’d think dealing with the 1/1 would be enough, but then they also have Wolf’s Quarry to make sure they always have 1/1’s.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ilmucche posted:

you're thinking of actual small business owners

when politicians talk about policies or tax reforms that benefit the "small business owner", they mean ceos and oil tycoons

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

It feels so weird that you can’t get showcase commons in normal boosters. I’m trying to get a set of showcase Merfolk Secretkeeker but they’re basically nonexistent right now.

It’s even weirder than that, I believe—you can get *foil* showcase commons in draft boosters but not non-foil showcase commons. (Per MaRo, this was not intentional and should not be the case on future sets: https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/187843835488/the-problem-with-making-your-kids-breakfast)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Magnetic North posted:

Dovetailing off of this, I picked up a card at the prerelease that I think will be at least reasonably valuable: a showcase foil Midnight Rider. I don't really play outside prereleases and EDH anymore, so trading doesn't really sound like something I want to bother with. So, how do people generally unload something like this for cash/credit?
If you expect it to INCREASE in value long-term, hold it and sell it to a vendor at a GP. If you expect it'll fall rapidly from when you open it and absolutely no one wants it, sell it to the store immediately for whatever they'll give you for it. Don't get stuck with a foil Tarmogoyf!

little munchkin posted:

when politicians talk about policies or tax reforms that benefit the "small business owner", they mean ceos and oil tycoons

Industrial ag also.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Tubgoat posted:

Industrial ag also.

I grew up in one of the most expensive areas of the country to live in and it's mind boggling how much money some of the farmers out here in the Midwest have

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/daq3y6/82_modern_challenge_bant_oko_company/

Early Oko showing in Modern, card seems interesting and he has a lot of uses in UG coloured decks but I’m curious if that will continue

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Okompany, imo. :colbert:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Tubgoat posted:

Often, but like one or two of them aren't irredeemable shits about it.

The owner of Universe Games in uptown seems to only own the place because he likes gaming. It doesn't sound like he makes money on the space, or want to, despite turning half of it into a coffee shop. I think they even outsource their card business to a 3rd party. Managers are on record saying it's not profitable, despite all the people that come in to buy games while MTG tournaments are happening. It's kinda funny sitting there knowing my $5 entry fee has a pack per win payout sponsored by the people coming in to buy cards against humanity.

They hold free FNM standard with packs to the T4.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

InterrupterJones posted:

Did the classic at my prerelease tonight: the 0-2 drop. I just don’t get sealed. I’m sure there’s a better deck in my pile, but I always feel I get just enough to almost be good in every color, which is annoying.
Same, except not classic for me - my first time dropping. Foolishly did an evening prerelease on a weeknight, when I'm beholden to commuter rail. Balancing "play a third round purely for fun's sake" and "might miss the last train & have to spend gobs on a taxi" was bad feels.

Also! My first time losing via decking (look, I don't play often). First match was one, long, grindy game - my opponent hung on by his fingernails after I got ahead via general gas + draw-four Gadwick, and stabilized us into a classic sealed morass. (Gadwick was ultimately my undoing, because it let opponent draw three over the game & still end up one card ahead.)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Can't do prereleases this weekend - anyone have an extra event code? PM me - I would super appreciate it, tia.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Went 2-1 with a sealed pool that had bonecrusher giant, foil bonecrusher giant, robber of the rich, Ayara, First of Locthwain, Syr Konrad, the grim and a ton of red and black removal.

I didn't drop a game until the third round and lost some super close games to the 7/6 reanimating food goblin.

Also opened both a storybook and regular frame Fae of wishes to round out a weird pool.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MisterOblivious posted:

They hold free FNM standard with packs to the T4.
Hell yeah they do. A shame standard is garbage.

Is Angelo the owner?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MisterOblivious posted:

The owner of Universe Games in uptown seems to only own the place because he likes gaming.

Your guy in that boat seems awesome. We had a local dude that opened a game store, then proceeded to run it irregular hours, almost never those posted on the door, never order product, and then whine loudly that no one was buying from his store

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Nice, collector booster cards are a different size and shape than normal cards...

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/datr2g/spot_the_collector_pack_cards_in_a_stack_of_cards/

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ooopsie

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tubgoat posted:

Hell yeah they do. A shame standard is garbage.
A shame Universe is trash, too. Love playing at a place that DQs little kids for offering a split "the wrong way" and bans people for being attacked. I'd rather set my collection on fire than set foot in there again.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I was goofing around on arena and I just figured out gilded goose is rare.

Yikes.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Yawgmoth posted:

A shame Universe is trash, too. Love playing at a place that DQs little kids for offering a split "the wrong way" and bans people for being attacked. I'd rather set my collection on fire than set foot in there again.
:ohno: :yikes:Uh, wow. I'm a semi-regular, I need some details.

Also a hearty :yikes: on the collector boosters. I hate capitalism and conspicuous consumption but if someone is paying a premium for pretty game pieces that are supposed to be tournament-legal, those game pieces better loving be tournament-legal.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

Yikes.

It's a really good card, Rare is totally the appropriate rarity

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

Yikes.

So was birds of paradise and utopia tree?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Drewjitsu posted:

So was birds of paradise and utopia tree?

Birds is way better than this card.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

A shame Universe is trash, too. Love playing at a place that DQs little kids for offering a split "the wrong way" and bans people for being attacked.

That's been moved from Serious Problem to General Unwanted Behavior at regular REL, so it's not an automatic DQ at a prerelease/FNM anymore as long as they didn't know it was wrong. Good luck trying to find a store judge that knows this though.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

Birds is way better than this card.

Hard Disagree. A late game BoP is a dead draw, this is at least a Food, and it can make food on future turns. Plus another toughness.

You want mana dorks the first couple turns, tops.

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 29, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LifeLynx posted:

Good luck trying to find a store judge that knows this though.
Oh god and this new for-profit judge program is only going to exacerbate this. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Hard Disagree. A late game BoP is a dead draw, this is at least a Food, and it can make food on future turns.

You want mana dorks the first couple turns, tops.

If you're using it to fix your colors at all in addition to just accelerating, it can be relevant to be able to do that consistently with no additional investment.