Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

karma_coma posted:

You're right, it was PS2. I still have the box (not a hoarder).

So does the party system work in a "this person is going on their own quest for a while, goodbye!" *so and so has left the party* or do I get to swap them in as I'd like like octopath traveler?

I played all night ... this game is good. I like it.

Sometimes you'll have characters temporarily leave but for the majority of the game you can swap whenever, including during battle (which rules because you can get pep powers ready in advance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Turning on DQ8's overworld theme instead of DQ11's basically makes this GOTY IMO.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Does every fight scene in XI have a custom animated version for if the hero is wielding a sword or a greatsword? It really looks that way to me, and drat, that's extremely impressive. I'm so used to cutscenes just existing in their own little world that seeing him use the exact same slab of iron he's equipped with in a choreographed fight, with locking blades and everything, and having the whole affair look completely natural? Is just so, so cool.

Yeah, there's a cutscene viewer later in the game and it just gives you the default outfit and your Cobblestone Great/Sword when you watch them there. It would've been insane if it kept track of every weapon you used at each pivotal moment of the game though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Xenoblade actually did that, and displayed appropriate equipment for everyone in flashbacks. Too bad it didn't also do the impossible and predict exactly what armor sets you would be wearing in the many visions you see.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the tentacular fight is some real poo poo on harder monsters

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I got Dq11 S on my switch and just started. I know it's turn based, but when moving my hero, does the position where he is matter?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'm not even sure why the game lets you do that, it doesn't do anything

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

I got Dq11 S on my switch and just started. I know it's turn based, but when moving my hero, does the position where he is matter?

Just switch the battle mode to classic camera.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

Bless you for getting it without playing the demo first.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Have they removed the crossbow kid side quest? I’ve got the crossbow, but the guy outside Gallopolis palace who’s supposed to start the quest ...doesn’t.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Moving the character changes your target.

Anyway with the release of 11 on Switch they released the original three Dragon Quests, which I am going through for the first time and I must say, it's way more fun than I thought it would be. Just beat Dragon Quest and I moving onto Dragon Quest II, and I must say it's amazing how much bigger the world is suddenly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DQII is good but the second half is such a chore.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

snograt posted:

Have they removed the crossbow kid side quest? I’ve got the crossbow, but the guy outside Gallopolis palace who’s supposed to start the quest ...doesn’t.

Yeah I'd like to know this also.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

They removed it and first person view as far as I know.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Detective No. 27 posted:

DQII is good but the second half is such a chore.

Is it more of a chore then running around for Erdicks gear in Dragon Quest 1, which I still had a lot of fun with somehow.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Skeezy posted:

They removed it and first person view as far as I know.

Well to be fair the crossbow sidequest was more irritating than anything else so I guess it's no great loss. Thanks for the answer!

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
Did they really remove first person view? Did they add a camera? How am I going to waste time taking screenshots?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They did add a photo mode yeah

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Live Free posted:

Did they really remove first person view? Did they add a camera? How am I going to waste time taking screenshots?

there is a camera mode, press up on the d-pad

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Did they make Slayer of the Sands weaker on the Switch version. I fought him both level 16 and I got my rear end kicked 5 times on the PS4 version. On the Switch version I did it one try without any hassle. His spammable AoE attack seems to do less damage than before. Heck he even did one damage to a buffed Serena with a normal attack.
The only strategy changed was I used poison knife build over sleep on Erik. Poison landed every time, doing 50 damage a tick for 2 turns before doing 200 damage with Cobra Strike.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know it's just how, like, Dragon Quest games work but I wish Mr Protagonist was more expressive. Or emoted at all, really. A lot of weird poo poo happens to this dude and he mostly stonefaces though it.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Finally got my first loss to Arachtagon. That party-wide poison spine attack is a bitch. My party's around 21-22 right now, I'm planning on grinding to around 24 or at least until Serena gets Kabuff, hoping that comes soon.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

YggiDee posted:

Every time I enter a new city Veronica is either fuming that she isn't allowed into the pub or she's picking a fight with a local and I hope this pattern continues.
It ain't gonna stop any time soon, I'll tell you that. At one point there's a scene where the party splits up and you're with Serena, and when a commotion happens they both look at each other like "must be Veronica again".

karma_coma posted:

You're right, it was PS2. I still have the box (not a hoarder).

So does the party system work in a "this person is going on their own quest for a while, goodbye!" *so and so has left the party* or do I get to swap them in as I'd like like octopath traveler?

I played all night ... this game is good. I like it.
Both, sort of. You will eventually get access to more party members than you can fit in your party at once and will be able to swap between them basically at will. But there will be sections where you don't have access to certain party members for a while.

Waffleopolis posted:

Unfortunately no, it's just window dressing.

YggiDee posted:

I know it's just how, like, Dragon Quest games work but I wish Mr Protagonist was more expressive. Or emoted at all, really. A lot of weird poo poo happens to this dude and he mostly stonefaces though it.
Yeah, I remember the hero from DQ8 was significantly more expressive, and that was on the PS2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Red Red Blue posted:

I like being able to look at the monsters better and making it more 3D like that just feels right to me for some reason. I dunno, I tried classic camera and I was just uncomfortable using it for the most part. It just didn't feel right.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I got dq xi switch in no small part for 2d mode bc I did half of it in 3d mode on pc already, but i ended up missing the modern sparkle after a couple hours and ended up just switching back to 3d. I do wish switching back and forth was a bit less rigid, I’d mess around with it more probably.

Real excited to beat the game this time

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Red Red Blue posted:

I heard somewhere that it was to make it play closer to DQX for people that got used to that game. Which is...literally no one outside of Japan and China.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

It ain't gonna stop any time soon, I'll tell you that. At one point there's a scene where the party splits up and you're with Serena, and when a commotion happens they both look at each other like "must be Veronica again".

Both, sort of. You will eventually get access to more party members than you can fit in your party at once and will be able to swap between them basically at will. But there will be sections where you don't have access to certain party members for a while.

Unfortunately no, it's just window dressing.

Yeah, I remember the hero from DQ8 was significantly more expressive, and that was on the PS2.

The silent protagonist from builders 1 had way more character than 11’s

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MonsterEnvy posted:

Is it more of a chore then running around for Erdicks gear in Dragon Quest 1, which I still had a lot of fun with somehow.

If the Switch version is like the SFC and Mobile versions, and I'd bet on it, it's not nearly as bad as the NES version. I will never play DW2 NES again, but I had a very enjoyable time with the two aforementioned versions. It's not DW3 good, but it was fun and not an unbalanced mess like the original.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I just got Sylvando and he is like, awesome. "Luckyyyyyy!!!!"

How does exp for party members you're not using work? If I switch someone in do the still get xp for the battle if I swap them back out?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Everyone gets full EXP whether they fight or not.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

karma_coma posted:

I just got Sylvando and he is like, awesome. "Luckyyyyyy!!!!"

How does exp for party members you're not using work? If I switch someone in do the still get xp for the battle if I swap them back out?

unless they're dead party members get full exp whether or not they participated in battle

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
God I just hit the Soldiers of Smiles bit again and it was just as amazing as it was the first time. Sylvando is the best

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

This game is really well done, skill tree, weird forging game...

Is there anything in particular that affects level up stat increases? Just random or predetermined?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I find myself forging so much more than I did in my first playthrough now that I can just do it anywhere. Makes me want to make everything.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Started up Definitive Edition today. I am truly amazed how much they got out of UE4 to work well on the Switch. I mean it's no 60fps like it is on PC but it's still very impressive.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zore posted:

God I just hit the Soldiers of Smiles bit again and it was just as amazing as it was the first time. Sylvando is the best
I love how silly it is and then you get to the bit where Sylvando meets his dad again and talks about how he decided that making people happy was the most important thing he could do in life and now the Soldiers of Smiles makes total sense and becomes this monument of Sylvando's endless love and dedicatio
this game is so loving good

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sylvando especially has great relationships with the cast and I’m excited for reactions from new blood

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 30, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Careful not to spoil anything outside of spoiler boxes, everyone. Sylvando's stuff is some of the best in the game. Don't want to ruin it for new players.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

HPanda posted:

Careful not to spoil anything outside of spoiler boxes, everyone. Sylvando's stuff is some of the best in the game. Don't want to ruin it for new players.

Edited. I love Sylv so, so much so I can get overzealous. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I haven't known Sylvando for very long but he's a rich, famous, incredibly skilled performer dude and it would be so easy to make a character like that an rear end in a top hat but so far he's he helped the Prince grow a spine AND save face, and he's trying to find this little girl's parents, and as far as I can tell he's joined not out of any personal connection to the Luminary's quest, he's just here because, like, the world needs saving. Why wouldn't he help out. so I don't know if his story gets weird later but so far I'm just getting this impression of an incredibly compassionate dude who is also fabulous. And has Hustle Dance.