Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JerryLee posted:

If you're using it to fix your colors at all in addition to just accelerating, it can be relevant to be able to do that consistently with no additional investment.

Yep, this too. I think Goose is a much better card overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Hard Disagree. A late game BoP is a dead draw, this is at least a Food, and it can make food on future turns. Plus another toughness.

You want mana dorks the first couple turns, tops.

They are both bad late game draws. Birds is far and away the better dork and its not close.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Goose is a very good card but it needs at least one other food producer to use it to its full potential.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Goose is loose

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

They are both bad late game draws. Birds is far and away the better dork and its not close.
BoP is a bad late game draw. Goose is suboptimal. There's a difference.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BoP is a bad late game draw. Goose is suboptimal. There's a difference.

Suboptimal? :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Goose has more upside in a deck with other food users/producers and the extra toughness is useful in a standard where lots of 1/xs want to attack

The goose is not gonna upend Legacy or whatever though

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

a late game birds that had an alternate mode of 2G gain 3 and had the ability 3G, T: gain 3 would be a very good bird

honk honk

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
:honk:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think BoP is 99% of the time better, but there is something to be said about having a mana dork that can gain you 3 life on demand.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

I think BoP is 99% of the time better, but there is something to be said about having a mana dork that can gain you 3 life on demand.
But Birds of Paradise can already be targetted by Lightning Bolt? :confused:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

Feel free to illustrate why BoP is a better late game draw than Goose.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tubgoat posted:

:ohno: :yikes:Uh, wow. I'm a semi-regular, I need some details.
These were both around when OGW was the hot new set, so hey maybe they've completely turned over their staff and gotten rid of all the people who made playing there the poster child for "you get what you pay for". #1 is basically name on the tin; last round pairings are up, two kids probably like 9ish years old got paired against each other and one says to the other "hey you wanna split packs and draw?" and the judge immediately tells the kid to get out, he's DQ'd. Kid freaks out, asks why when other people do it all the time, gets told "well you have to ask the right way, and I can't tell you how to phrase it either." So the kid leaves, his friends leave too, and a good time was had by no one. Never saw any of them again.

The other was when I was playing some guy who took forever to do anything and mumbled as if he had a phobia of his own voice. I asked him "hey could you speak up a bit so I can hear you over the games behind me?" and he loving slaps my deck across the table, then stares at me like he's about to jump the table if I say anything to him. I call the judge and tell him what happened, dude gets booted. I come back the next week and Angelo stops me at the door to say "we looked at the security cam footage and decided you must have said something to provoke him, so we're banning you from playing here for a month. You can still buy things here though! :downs:" I told him to get leprosy and left.

And now I take every opportunity I get to tell these stories because they really are indicative of my experiences with a substantial number of both the players and employees at Universe Games Steamship Coffee. If that place caught on fire, I'd bring marshmallows.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 29, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

Birds is way better than this card.

Goose is way better with Oko.

I think that birds being "way better" is overplaying (:v:) your position. Slightly better? Situationally better? Maybe.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's not, but BoP is substantially better early game in the non-standard decks that want a dork. In Modern at least, not having to gently caress around with food to get a second mana-ability activation is worth a lot in decks that actually run BoP.

Maybe, maaaaaaaybe there's an argument to be made that a 3-1 BoP/Goose split is worth it if you're in a really aggressive meta where you'll want to eat the food as a safety plan, but in a vacuum I just don't see it being worth it in a format as lethal as Modern.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 29, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

They are both a bad late game draws. I never said birds was the better late game draw. This card being slightly less poo poo late game is pretty meaningless as you are playing them to be a dork and the birds is a better dork.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fadam posted:

It's not, but BoP is substantially better early game in the non-standard decks that want a dork. In Modern at least, not having to gently caress around with food to get a second mana-ability activation is worth a lot in decks that actually run BoP.

I mean that guy thought it was such a hilarious concept he used like 6 Laffo emotes, so I'd love to hear it from him.

Sickening posted:

They are both a bad late game draws. I never said birds was the better late game draw. This card being slightly less poo poo late game is pretty meaningless as you are playing them to be a dork and the birds is a better dork.

Soooooo nothing in my post was wrong, you just thought it was hilarious because you have some sort of brain damage?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I mean that guy thought it was such a hilarious concept he used like 6 Laffo emotes, so I'd love to hear it from him.

Soooooo nothing in my post was wrong, you just thought it was hilarious because you have some sort of brain damage?

Your post was wrong. Its not sub-optimal, its bad. They are bad late game cards. :wtc:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Yawgmoth posted:

:words:
If that place caught on fire, I'd bring marshmallows.
Thank you for elaborating, that is pretty inexcusable.

But if you really tried this, the marshmallows would be toxic and inedible.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

Your post was wrong. Its not sub-optimal, its bad. They are bad late game cards. :wtc:

So you think it's an Uncommon tier? That is ludicrous

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think rare makes sense, but I wouldn't be like insanely surprised to see a card like Goose at uncommon. Compare it to something like RR. Just be happy WotC didn't make the goose an important story character and upgrade it to Mythic.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ I laughed and cried internally at that thought.

I could see it being costed at 1G and being an uncommon, but I can also see why many would be disappointed to open one as the rare from a pack they're not currently drafting.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The only card in the set (other than Brazen Borrower lol) that I'm butthurt about Rarity for is "Once Upon a Time." Unique as it is, I think it could have been an uncommon no problem.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

Goose is way better with Oko.

I think that birds being "way better" is overplaying (:v:) your position. Slightly better? Situationally better? Maybe.

An unconditional dork is definitely the higher power level card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Its definitely something that is a feels bad to use up some wildcards on which was why I said "yikes". I would also hate opening it in a pack in paper. As for limited, it doesn't scream to me as something that would be too good at uncommon but I will leave it up to the folks who play limited more often to chime in on.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Goose should absolutely be an uncommon but I am not good enough at magic to say whether or not it being uncommon would gently caress up the limited format

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

It would likely be one of the best uncommons, since 2 mana make a food every turn would by itself be quite a good ability for a lot of decks.

It's also just a complicated card so it seems fine as a rare.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I opened a showcase brazen borrower in my packs for prerelease today.

God, the art on the showcase cards is loving beautiful.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

i have goose in one of my sealed decks and it's beyond ridiculous to crank out a food every turn you have some spare mana lying around.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Count Bleck posted:

I opened a showcase brazen borrower in my packs for prerelease today.

God, the art on the showcase cards is loving beautiful.

Trade it before release!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheDemon posted:

Nice, collector booster cards are a different size and shape than normal cards...

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/datr2g/spot_the_collector_pack_cards_in_a_stack_of_cards/

i can't imagine wotc banning them, but aren't they effectively marked cards? definitely harder to tell with sleeves on, but probably still useful for cheaters with good sleight of hand

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I would guess that it's nigh-impossible to differentiate them when sleeved

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Goose should absolutely be an uncommon but I am not good enough at magic to say whether or not it being uncommon would gently caress up the limited format

The only reason Goose wouldn't be the best uncommon in the set is because there's at least two rares already masquerading as uncommon in the set in Syr Carah and Epic Downfall. 1G, T: Make a Food being so readily available would completely break most Food synergies in the set and make Goose almost impossible to punch past late-game with any other existing kind of board. Learned that one at my pre-release running WUr Knights/Fliers against a B/G Food deck with a Goose and plenty of outlets for it.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 30, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It can tap for mana every turn with no other resources necessary.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It can tap for mana every turn with no other resources necessary.

So can a land.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sit on my Facebook posted:

I would guess that it's nigh-impossible to differentiate them when sleeved

But think about the poor quad sleevers who can't fit these all in

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Goose + Bog Naughty (or any other Food payoff) is pretty heinous and making Goose uncommon would make such combinations way more likely.

Birds is obviously better than Goose in any format where they're both legal but it's not because Goose is worse late-game, it's because Goose doesn't tap for mana on turn 3 unless you played Oko the previous turn. I have no idea what on earth anybody in this discussion is actually trying to prove :psyduck:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ungulateman posted:

Goose + Bog Naughty (or any other Food payoff) is pretty heinous and making Goose uncommon would make such combinations way more likely.

Birds is obviously better than Goose in any format where they're both legal but it's not because Goose is worse late-game, it's because Goose doesn't tap for mana on turn 3 unless you played Oko the previous turn. I have no idea what on earth anybody in this discussion is actually trying to prove :psyduck:

I don't get it either. There is literally nothing to gain from slamming "This card is unplayable tier bad" without even considering potential. Same with "this is broken!" but the latter makes you look naive at worst and the former makes you come off as an aggressive jerk to anyone who wants to discuss the potential uses for the card.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

When I first saw Emry, my first reaction was, "well that looks broken, since it's almost always 1 mana past turn 1 in the decks that want it and it isn't hard to be 1 mana on turn 1. I wonder how good it is."

And then I played a couple leagues with Emry and turns out she is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

ungulateman posted:

lovestruck beast might be the best limited card below mythic in this set lmao

there's a lot of mono-green abysses in this format but this one costs 3 and isn't GGG

Some pre-release stories. Let's start with the above.

Game 3. Final round. My opponent is fairly new to magic; he's built R/G. He's playing non-Humans, some pump spells, and some equipment. I'm on U/W stuff. He's on the play.

Turn 1 (him): He plays the 1/1 that gets +1/+1 when it attacks/blocks if you control another non-human.
Turn 1 (me): Nothing

Turn 2 (him): Sends a Lovestruck Beast on an Adventure to make 1/1. (Nice card, I mentally think). He then sends another Lovestruck Beast on an Adventure to make another 1/1 (WTF, I mentally think). Attack for 1.
Turn 2 (me): Nothing, holding up <tap 2 dudes> Adventure (2/3 flier).

Turn 3 (him): Cast Beast. Try to attack, I tap 2 guys. I go to 18.
Turn 3 (me): Cast a 2/3 flier. Looking grim...

Turn 4 (him): Pre-combat, cast the other Beast, leaving up one red mana. Attack all-in (5 + 2 + 1 + 1). I block the 2/2 1 drop. He has the +2/+2 one mana trick. I go to 10, he has 14 power in play, and I have no board.
Turn 4 (me): <Thinks about if there was a ritual in the format, so I could cast the "Giant Wrath" on Turn 4, which wasnt even in my deck> I concede.

===============================================
Round 1/Game 1, first match with the new set for me. The following things all happened in ONE GAME, which went into turns before it ended.

1. Ardenvale Tactician went on a real storybook adventure, as it was cast with adventure 3 times and entered the battlefield as a creature 3 times.
First, from my hand (adventure, then play). Opponent bounced it, then stole it with Covetous Urge, and sent it on an adventure and then played it. I bounced it again, and then adventure/play one more time.

2. My opponent stopped my from milling him out with the Folio of Fancies by adding 3 counters to his Midnight Clock during his upkeep. I then milled him out two turns later.

3. FAE OF WISHES (4 mana, tutor your sideboard). Note that my deck was in sleeves. I cast the Fae 3 times in the game. First, I got Run Away Together, and bounced it and an opponent's creature.

Second, I wanted to have fun and the game had gone on a long time, so it was value time. I went and got my pre-release promo, STILL IN THE WRAPPER, Dance of the Manse, and cast it for 8, bringing back a 5/5 artifact creature and Glass Casket as a 4/4 creature which exiled an opponents creature.

Finally, I cast a Run Away Together that was in my deck to bounce it a 3rd time, and went and got a draw-2/lose-2 black card, to target my opponent with to help mill him. My opponent then cast another Covetous Urge, and cast my unsleeved Foreboding Fruit to my put me to 2 life before he was milled out the 2nd time (for good) during turn 2 of turns.

By the end there, I had 2 unsleeved cards and a card STILL IN THE WRAPPER in my graveyard. My opponent also had cast an unsleeved card and almost killed me with it. Is this UNSTABLE???

===============
During 2HG, we opened 5 of 4 different cards: 5x Gingerbrute, Locthwain Paladin, Witch's Courage, Crashing Drawbridge. The pack runs are weird. Our first round opponents had a 5x of the pinging wall; jealous!
===============
If anyone has zany stories, tell them!

logis fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 30, 2019