Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The UK genuinely can't be trusted with a military. I mean I don't think anywhere really can but the UK really can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

BBC news alert: White House staff desperately trying to find "Mission Accomplished" banner

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The UK genuinely can't be trusted with a military. I mean I don't think anywhere really can but the UK really can't.

Ireland has some good international peacekeeping programmes, which is what militaries should be for imo

Though I'm not too sure of the details, so they might be bastards too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Our military is one of the best ones. Like our NHS. And the BBC. And football team(England).

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Our military is one of the best ones. Like our NHS. And the BBC. And football team(England).

Hoo-RAH!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Iran could absolutely be destroyed rapidly in a shock and awe attack.

If the Americans commited their entire surface fleet to the effort.

If we tried it we'd blow up a couple of fuel depots before contributing to several new marine habitats at the bottom of the Persian Gulf.

Also that polling is depressing as hell, I can only hope when we get the GE that we have a similar outcome to last time except better, because the broadcasters have to be far more fair (i.e. literally any amount of fairness). People's perceptions of the parties truly are wild.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They're great for me, because they all piss off at midday on Fridays, so if I have any work on any defense facility on a Friday I deliberately push it out to the afternoon so I can turn up, not get on site because no-one's there then go home early

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Ratjaculation posted:

Ireland has some good international peacekeeping programmes, which is what militaries should be for imo

Though I'm not too sure of the details, so they might be bastards too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jadotville

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Iran's entire military is organised around the assumption that one day, they WILL be attacked by the United States and that they'll need to resist with the forces and resources at their disposal. My non-expert opinion is that Iran would be perfectly capable of fighting the US to a stalemate, while completely loving up all other oil production in the Middle East.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

America would gently caress up Iran if they had to. But to obtain that resolve might take more than they are willing to give voluntarily.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pistol_Pete posted:

Iran's entire military is organised around the assumption that one day, they WILL be attacked by the United States and that they'll need to resist with the forces and resources at their disposal. My non-expert opinion is that Iran would be perfectly capable of fighting the US to a stalemate, while completely loving up all other oil production in the Middle East.

What is yoyr definition of stalemate? Powerless infrastructure and an underground government? Or a river isonzo type stalemate?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What is yoyr definition of stalemate? Powerless infrastructure and an underground government? Or a river isonzo type stalemate?

Given your username not sure whether we should consider you an expert in the matter or ignore you at all costs?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

This sock puppet thinks it might not go all USA's way

https://youtu.be/KESLN_3LU_4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I mean the US has lost its past few wars because of an inability to actually decide on an objective and having to just leave after a while and enough dead. Iran has far more capacity to kill yanks than the US's usual targets do.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So it predators them endlessly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Is there not some way we can have the war without killing anyone cos I desperately want to see these morons get owned.

E: Mind you if they think Iraq was a success then apparently even reality can't help them.

Maybe pack all the loving politicians off to go fight Iran.

The film Robot Jox has the right idea.

Two giant robots, who ever wins, their country leads the rest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If it does that Iran's just going to add them to its exiting pile of captured US drones.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If it does that Iran's just going to add them to its exiting pile of captured US drones.

Lol. then it does more drones.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jBrereton posted:

That was actually her brexit mate Dennis Skinner who was in charge of the NEC that year.

Proof? I've seen reporting from the time, they certainly thought Kinnock was behind it also what do you mean 'in charge of' the NEC

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It was a few months back when Iran literally captured the American experimental drone flying over their airspace that was supposed to be 100% undetectable. This was a couple days into the US building up war threats and they suddenly went very quiet afterwards. Plus if they did contribute towards the oilfield attack like the US claims they can do that many times over within hours of the first bombs dropping.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They dont need oil anymore. They've got Elon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drones for the drone throne.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rarity posted:

At the same time we have to appreciate that professional quality recording gear is pricey so not everyone can afford it and we don't want to exclude people from taking part because they're too poor. That would pretty much be the opposite of what this thread is all about.
Oh absolutely, when we were discussing this before the podcast started, I said the best 'budget' mic is the Blue Snowball, but they're like £70 each, and for a lot of people that's a ridiculous expenditure, and you're not really going to notice the difference unless you're listening on good speakers / headphones.

Unfortunately I don't really know much in terms of the bare minimum decent quality mic. There's probably something that can be done with clipping in audacity or using a messaging program with a different codec, but again I feel bad at not really having any practical solutions.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Arent like I dunno Iphones good at this sort of stuff? Given being y'know really expensive telephones?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If the us decided on a real invasion of iran the response from Iran would likely be firing every middle possible at Saudi Arabia and Israel

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Verizian posted:

It was a few months back when Iran literally captured the American experimental drone flying over their airspace that was supposed to be 100% undetectable. This was a couple days into the US building up war threats and they suddenly went very quiet afterwards. Plus if they did contribute towards the oilfield attack like the US claims they can do that many times over within hours of the first bombs dropping.

Presumably, anyone ordering the attack will have anticipated and prepared for that eventuality by betting a few billion on oil price rises

Most military defence plans, and it seems the Iranians are no exception, are based on the logic ‘if they attack, we will do bad things to the attacking country’. This fails to take account of the possibility of the people ordering the attack simply not giving a poo poo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

If the us decided on a real invasion of iran the response from Iran would likely be firing every middle possible at Saudi Arabia and Israel

Also, probably executing all the foreign nationals they've been arresting to act as human shields.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Arent like I dunno Iphones good at this sort of stuff? Given being y'know really expensive telephones?
If you used one to record the audio directly to a file, probably. But the codecs they use to transmit calls across Britain's ageing networks tend to be what makes it sound like a robot farting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's the thing with phones, the actual phone service is so poo poo that there's not necessarily a good reason to make them actually good at recording.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

Proof? I've seen reporting from the time, they certainly thought Kinnock was behind it also what do you mean 'in charge of' the NEC
What I mean is that Dennis Skinner was Chairman of the Labour Party, ie the chosen head of the NEC, during the year Katy Hoey was pushed as the candidate in the Vauxhaul By-Election by the NEC over the objections of the local party.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Our military is in a pretty lovely, antiquated state - at least on the Air Force and Navy side. It's just that we so happen to have really good aircrews and sailors.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Our military is in a pretty lovely, antiquated state - at least on the Air Force and Navy side. It's just that we so happen to have really good aircrews and sailors.

Compared to whom?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Verizian posted:

The real message of the refinery strikes IMO had nothing to do with oil. The refineries could be bought back online in days or weeks and ultimately there's enough reserves around the world and general slack in the system for it to be not much more than a blip. Even a much larger-scale attack would just need money and time to fix.

However the Saudi water infrastructure is far more vulnerable to attack (all of the desalination plants on the Persian Gulf for a start) and knocking it out of commission for a couple of weeks basically ends Saudi Arabia as a country. America might be able to gently caress Iran up big style but having their ally and base of operations turned into a sterile wasteland might just look like a score-draw at best.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I dont think it ends saudi arabia as a country? Also is it that oil explodes like a hollywood car crash whereas water doesnt?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jimmfelton/status/1178217736872321024?s=21

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Invent Terminator-like deathdroids to fight our wars for us except we keep making their hivemind smarter to kill more effectively until they're smart enough to figure out that it's really stupid, this war thing, then all the opposing robot hiveminds from rival countries fuse into a single hypermind a la Colossus, and it fucks off to space, contains us in a shield, and goes on to do all the cool space things we've ever wanted, but is kind enough to broadcast it on live streaming

I mean it's better than our civilisation just dwindling down like a wet climate death fart

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

I mean it's better than our civilisation just dwindling down like a wet climate death fart

Why?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Because we get to see cool space poo poo being built and science and technology advance and there's even the small hope that seeing that robot hivemind utopia works will finally kill capitalism and the robots are cool enough to let us become cyborgs and join them in space

I mean it's just a random fantasy post I didn't put much research into it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As with so many things in life, the solution is giant robot fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

He said farts.