Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You can always take the job and keep looking. It's a $17/hr job, no one cares if you bail after 3 weeks. I don't know your situation, but it's probably worth it to step up from a 10.50/hr job, but yeah. Those hours and commute are going to be a killer, for sure.

If your current commute is 15 minutes, and you work full time, you will be be trading 41.25 hours a week (essentially making 10.18 an hour) for working 52.5 hours a week (essentially making $12.95 an hour), though the weekend hours suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That situation sounds awful and you should probably turn it down and keep looking, unless this is like your dream job or something.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Is it hopefully a jump in title, like associate manager or something? Because if so, I would take it and job search like heck.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

I would like the job and the pay increase for sure. I just got an associate's in IT and it'd help me break into the field. It's just the commute and not seeing my girlfriend anymore are the big things. That and the uncertainty of finding a new job in my current area if I were to turn it down. Taking on a new job would make it difficult to job hunt as well. I'm going to talk it over with my girlfriend tonight again. I'm just feeling either way like I'm going to regret whatever decision I make.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Death By Yogurt posted:

I would like the job and the pay increase for sure. I just got an associate's in IT and it'd help me break into the field. It's just the commute and not seeing my girlfriend anymore are the big things. That and the uncertainty of finding a new job in my current area if I were to turn it down. Taking on a new job would make it difficult to job hunt as well. I'm going to talk it over with my girlfriend tonight again. I'm just feeling either way like I'm going to regret whatever decision I make.

The bolded section is going to be the biggest obstacle to you. The thought process that "I have a job so I can't look for a new one" is why people get stuck for decades in underpaying positions, and why employers don't have much motivation to pay more. Looking for a new job while employed shouldn't be all that difficult and to not be willing to find something just because you have a job is a killer.

I don't know if taking this job is the right move or not for you, but the bolded section above needs to be a thought a process that you excise out of your mind.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

Aw man they want to talk about a new comp plan on Friday. I ran the numbers and assuming my weekly output will decrease, which it probably will, they’ll need to literally double my hourly rate to put my weekly rate back fo where it currently is, and that’s ignoring the increase in responsibility

Update:

Signed the paperwork on Monday. My new pay structure is the following:

Same hourly rate as before, $17/hr. Not a big deal, really, that's decent but the bulk of my money comes from my compensation anyway.

My bonus rate of $0.50/lead over 1200 (which is what it was before, and why my weekly bonus was higher than my weekly hourly rate) is now :siren: permanent and set in writing :siren: which means i'm going to be getting slightly less for this for a few weeks because i'm losing some time to train the guys under me, but once i get back up to normal it's going to be back in the $900/week range. Most importantly, the third thing:

For EVERY lead each of my guys gets, I get $.10. Not every lead over 1200, but every lead. I can easily get them all up to 2000/week (their bonuses kick in at 2500/week so there's incentive there for them to push hard) so that's $600/week for doing literally nothing, which means they're doubling my hourly rate anyway lmao

so basically this all worked out EXTREMELY well for me and now i can put "manager" on my resume too

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:toot:

A career thread success story.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think it's still in my best interest to keep the automated stuff to myself, I can't see any REAL benefits of showing it to the guys. They'd get bored, their numbers would be suspiciously high, and I don't see any reason why they'd keep it to themselves. Plus it makes me look better anyway, and I don't realistically lose production time by stopping to show them how to do things.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't reveal your automated stuff unless it was in the form of a sales pitch to sell it to the company for big $$.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That's what I'm gonna do when I leave the company, but for now it's my little secret.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thumbtacks posted:

That's what I'm gonna do when I leave the company, but for now it's my little secret.
Be very careful there. If it's a tool you developed at your job to do your job easier or with greater productivity, it's probably going to be considered property of your employer. You might want to consult with an attorney if you go that route.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah I'm still not sure about that, I need to do some research. It was developed entirely on my own time and doesn't use any resources that I can only get from my employer, so I'm pretty sure I'm legally in the clear. I'll figure that out later, I'm not planning on leaving for at least a year or two.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah I'm still not sure about that, I need to do some research. It was developed entirely on my own time and doesn't use any resources that I can only get from my employer, so I'm pretty sure I'm legally in the clear. I'll figure that out later, I'm not planning on leaving for at least a year or two.

Usually not. Depending on their policies and what you agreed to, usually anything written while employed that has anything to do with their business is considered property of the company. It sounds draconian, but it's to stop someone from saying "Aha! I can prove that I actually wrote Microsoft Word after my core business hours instead of when you told me to write it, so now I own it!" or "It just so happens I built a competitor to your software after work hours that coincidentally I wrote after staring at your source code all day." If you were employed to generate leads, and you wrote software to generate leads, then the business most likely owns that software.

If you want to make a play with that, you should suddenly have an idea how to write code and talk to your company about paying you to go off and write it. If you show up one day with it done it likely won't end super well for you.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thumbtacks posted:

Given the numbers you're talking about and the blow-back potential, I think the best way for you to do research would be to consult with your employment attorney about the details of your contract, job, and invention.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I need to blow off some steam. I could also use some advice. I’m a late-30s guy with a BS in computer science. I genuinely enjoy doing software development and programming. I’d like to stay in that field, but wouldn’t mind branching out a little if the opportunity is worth it. I’ve been doing software development professionally for about 20 years now. The job I had before my current one was a dead end position that I wound up staying in for over 10 years because I got in a rut and got complacent. They allowed me to work from home, so I told myself it was a good gig, that I was important to the company, and you all probably see where this is going. After a catastrophe of a year in my personal life, I was dealing with pretty crippling depression and anxiety, not to mention health issues that just made everything worse. The company had a few bad years in a row, went through some downsizing, and I was let go.

Obviously, that did wonders for my mental health. For about a year and a half, I remained unemployed. Then, a couple years ago, I got a message from a sales guy I worked with at the previous company, and he told me about a developer position at a small company that he was going to work for. I went in and interviewed, and I got the position. I was happy to get back on my feet, and because I was getting desperate for a job by that point, I offered a really low number when asked about compensation. I didn’t negotiate when I got the offer, which I know is my own drat fault.

As of today, I’ve been working there almost two years. The company is terrible, the benefits are garbage, and my boss is a piece of poo poo. It’s a small, family-owned business, and it became evident very quickly that if you’re not part of The Family, then you’re not really on management’s radar when it comes to little things like raises and advancement. The job includes a 1 hour commute, but after my 3 month probationary period, I was allowed to work from home 2 days out of the week. While I am way more productive at home, it quickly became apparent that my boss was not happy unless he could keep a close eye on me. If it takes me 20 minutes to respond to an email, he gets pissy. He checks the VPN logs to make sure I’m connected 100% of the work day. He has anger management issues. I’ve talked to several people I work with across departments that regularly feel bullied and demoralized because of his bullshit. Throughout all this, I’ve received glowing praise from others I’ve worked with for the quality of my work, and I enjoy the actual development work I’ve done for the company.

In the last year, I’ve had ongoing health issue that have gotten dramatically worse and have made it difficult to do the 8-to-5 + 2 hours round trip commute on some days. I got documentation from my doctors and brought this up with my boss and HR, and they told me that I could take unpaid time off if necessary under the FMLA. They only offer 10 days paid leave per year and no sick days, so I exhausted that pretty quickly. This year, I think I’ve taken about 5 unpaid sick leave days total, and boy was my boss not happy about that. He’s made it very clear that he doesn’t believe I have any real medical issues, despite the actual documentation from my doctors.

Last night, I fractured my ankle. At the time, I hoped it was just a bad sprain and I could ride it out. Today was a work from home day for me, so I figured I’d be okay enough to limp into work tomorrow. My ankle didn’t feel any better by this afternoon, so I emailed my boss and told him that I was going to go to an urgent care at the end of the work day, and I might have to work from home tomorrow. Without responding to me, he forwarded my email to HR (another member of the family) who told me that because my job is sedentary, I can still come to the office to work and that if I did not come in tomorrow, I would need a note from a doctor explaining why I was unable to come in. It’s obvious that they think I’m lying, and I’ve had enough of this poo poo.

I want more than anything to hobble into his office tomorrow morning with my brand new crutches and hand him my letter of resignation. I know that it’s very important to lick the boots of my former employers so as not to complicate the future of my career, but these fuckers were never going to give me a glowing recommendation anyway. I’m lucky enough to have about a 10 month emergency fund, no debt, house paid off, and no financial obligations besides bills and groceries. At this point, this job is doing a number on my mental and physical health. I know I need to find a new job, but it’s hard to find time for that with a full time job and my health problems.

How bad is it to leave a job on bad terms with a former employer? Obviously, I’m not going to bring up grievances with a former employer at a job interview, but this can still just flat out gently caress my career for a long time, right? How big of a red flag is it to be unemployed during a job search? I’ll come up with something about how I was “looking for new opportunities” or whatever, but they can just call my former employer and hear all about what a horrible person I am, so what’s the point? How terrible is it to quit with less than two weeks’ notice? I don’t know if I can stomach another two weeks. Am I the whiniest bitch on the planet who should just be happy he’s not digging ditches for a living? Thanks in advance for any advice.

mekyabetsu fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 20, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If the job is killing you and you can afford it, give them a two week notice and then go sip something on a beach somewhere.

If anyone asks why you left when you apply to another job in 3 months, say you had to leave due to [family/medical/relocation/other issue outside of your control] and that's it. Anyone that holds it against you isn't somewhere you want to work anyways.

Also feel free to report them for FMLA violations after you gently caress off.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

mekyabetsu posted:

but they can just call my former employer and hear all about what a horrible person I am, so what’s the point?

I'm not an HR person but from what I've seen, most companies these days are afraid of getting sued for talking smack about former employees. So the most they do is confirm/deny objective information like your salary and dates of employment.

However that's the company saying things. Depending on your industry, the person(s) considering you at the new company may have private connections with people at your current place. That's much more likely to be an off-the-record conversation about your performance, attitude, and personality.

So if your current place is fairly isolated or obscure, I'd say yeah, screw worrying about leaving on their terms.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

mekyabetsu posted:

How bad is it to leave a job on bad terms with a former employer? Obviously, I’m not going to bring up grievances with a former employer at a job interview, but this can still just flat out gently caress my career for a long time, right? How big of a red flag is it to be unemployed during a job search? I’ll come up with something about how I was “looking for new opportunities” or whatever, but they can just call my former employer and hear all about what a horrible person I am, so what’s the point? How terrible is it to quit with less than two weeks’ notice? I don’t know if I can stomach another two weeks. Am I the whiniest bitch on the planet who should just be happy he’s not digging ditches for a living? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Who the gently caress cares if your employer is on bad terms or not, find another job. Why have you waited so long? If your employer bad mouths you on a reference in any way that is not 100% true you have a claim with damages for defamation. If you think they will do that there are services that will call and get a reference from them and provide you with a transcript.

If you can, it'll be easier to find another job while employed but if you don't think you can do that don't. If you leave without notice that can legally say "He left without a notice" as part of a reference. Either way your main focus right now should be finding something else.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So I’ve been looking for my first entry-level IT job for three years, hampered by my lack of professional IT experience and my depression and difficulty with working up the energy to crank out applications with my resume of odd jobs.

I got a job through a temp agency and stayed on long enough to get hired by the company that they had me working for. It’s not a great job, it’s low paying,and there aren’t really opportunities for advancement, but it’s chill and I have insurance. Just a couple days ago the temp agency posted an entry level IT job on Zip Recruiter, which they hadn’t done in the two years since I started with them. I got excited, since I’d have an in with people who I think I have a good relationship with.

But I called them today, and it turns out they won’t forward the application while I have the job they got me since it would be a conflict of interest :sigh:

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 20, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They are correct about that. You should hope they don't mention it to your current employer, as well.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve been out on workmans comp for the past three months. I returned to work on Wednesday and immediately got written up for “destroying company property” (they had asked me to return my company laptop while I was away and I did, except I signed out of iCloud and made a new profile so they could log in...) and told I couldn’t return to my normal job or use company computers. Anyways, my lawyer says there’s nothing I can really do and that they’re allowed to do this but I can see the writing on the wall that they’re just waiting for me to hit MMI to fire me, so my question is, while I await this time coming do you guys know of any handy skills I can pick up on the side whether it be learning a program or something that would make my resume more attractive? I don’t have a college education so I’m expecting to have to work a shotty retail job until I luck into another position again but I’d like to try to improve myself in the interim. Thanks all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

I’ve been out on workmans comp for the past three months. I returned to work on Wednesday and immediately got written up for “destroying company property” (they had asked me to return my company laptop while I was away and I did, except I signed out of iCloud and made a new profile so they could log in...) and told I couldn’t return to my normal job or use company computers. Anyways, my lawyer says there’s nothing I can really do and that they’re allowed to do this but I can see the writing on the wall that they’re just waiting for me to hit MMI to fire me, so my question is, while I await this time coming do you guys know of any handy skills I can pick up on the side whether it be learning a program or something that would make my resume more attractive? I don’t have a college education so I’m expecting to have to work a shotty retail job until I luck into another position again but I’d like to try to improve myself in the interim. Thanks all.

Jesus, that sucks dude.

You have a resume? What skills do you have right now? Learning Python isn't too hard and can net you jobs reasonably easily but when I say "reasonably easily" I am assuming someone with that kind of mindset. Many people just aren't able to get their heads around programming and that's ok.

You can also look into the trades or transportation as other career avenues. Again, totally depends on you but generally driving a bus is a better job than working retail barely above minimum wage.....

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don’t have a resume but I should make one and I’ll post it in here. I’ve worked at this company for 13 years and never once got written up. My immediate boss quit a month ago and I think they wanted to sweep me away also with her but because I’m on workmans comp it made things troubling. Capitalism sucks.

Anyways Python is a great idea and I’m a little familiar with it already. I work in marketing and web design so it can absolutely help out with that. Thanks for the idea and I’ll double down on learning it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just fyi it's probably helpful if you tell us what your current job actually was - then people can make better recommendations about complimentary skills to learn

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Thanks for the advice and replies. I think my biggest problem is just getting over the depression and anxiety and just starting the job hunting’s process.

Lockback posted:

Who the gently caress cares if your employer is on bad terms or not, find another job. Why have you waited so long?
You might have picked this up from my post, but I’m not exactly a guy with a strong sense of self-worth and self-confidence. Change scares me, and I tend to get stuck in ruts with everything. I’ve been working through it with a therapist, and I’m getting better about it. Still, it’s a slow process. Part of the reason for my delay is that I’ve been worried that leaving on bad terms would gently caress my career up for a long time, with the negative reference basically red flagging me out of any desirable job. You’re right, though. It doesn’t matter, and I know that. I just need to stop dragging my heels and start my job hunt.

Lockback posted:

If your employer bad mouths you on a reference in any way that is not 100% true you have a claim with damages for defamation.
Right, I’ll sue them with my now non-existent salary.

Lockback posted:

If you think they will do that there are services that will call and get a reference from them and provide you with a transcript.
Wait, how does this work? Are you saying there are services that will give me a positive professional reference? How is this not something every hiring person know about and uses to immediately black list a candidate?

Lockback posted:

If you can, it'll be easier to find another job while employed but if you don't think you can do that don't. If you leave without notice that can legally say "He left without a notice" as part of a reference.
I didn’t know that, and that’s a solid reason to give them the two weeks’ notice. drat it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
no you goof, there are services that will pretend to be a potential employer, call your old company, and transcribe what they provide as a reference, so that you can see what your old company is saying about you.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Oh... yes, that makes a lot more sense. :shobon:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no you goof, there are services that will pretend to be a potential employer, call your old company, and transcribe what they provide as a reference, so that you can see what your old company is saying about you.

I've always wondered about that. I can't lie, I've always been pretty curious about what previous employers say about me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

mekyabetsu posted:

Thanks for the advice and replies. I think my biggest problem is just getting over the depression and anxiety and just starting the job hunting’s process.

You might have picked this up from my post, but I’m not exactly a guy with a strong sense of self-worth and self-confidence. Change scares me, and I tend to get stuck in ruts with everything. I’ve been working through it with a therapist, and I’m getting better about it. Still, it’s a slow process. Part of the reason for my delay is that I’ve been worried that leaving on bad terms would gently caress my career up for a long time, with the negative reference basically red flagging me out of any desirable job. You’re right, though. It doesn’t matter, and I know that. I just need to stop dragging my heels and start my job hunt.

It's good that you've identified this as the problem, because I think it's a pretty big hurdle. Honestly, just from where you are posting from tells me you are probably past the hardest part on realizing that you need to be more proactive in this hunt and not wait for things to get better by themselves. Also, the longest a "bad breakup" will follow you is probably measured in months if at all (see below). Time to break this cycle.

quote:

Right, I’ll sue them with my now non-existent salary.

If a company is defaming you as part of a job search with things that are not true, it is absolutely a case lawyers take on contingency. It is usually pretty easy to prove and the damages are very clear resulting in significant payout. On top of that companies tend to settle those situations quickly with NDAs because, guess what, employees don't like to hear poo poo like that is happening and most companies want to sweep it under the rug fast.

And that brings me to the last bit that I think is really important for you. Almost every company has policies against giving any reference information other than title, start date and end date. They don't even let managers give good references (I ignore this when contacted directly if I have good things to say, I live dangerously). You have fallen into the trap of thinking that the company will think about you after you are gone. They won't. They won't care. They won't spend energy and risk lawsuit to give you a bad reference. They probably don't even think about you all that much now and you work for them. If you want to make the break, make the break. Generally I'd tell people to kinda coast to find that next job and if you get fired they probably won't fight unemployment because, again, they'd prefer just to move on and stop having to care. I completely believe you when you say you are not sure if that is the wisest move, so in that case give your notice and move on. Two weeks comes quick enough.

Get back to job hunting, send lots of resumes out and understand rejection isn't a personal judgment but part of the process, spend 2+ hours everyday job hunting and every day the top 1 or 2 jobs you see take time to craft a personalized cover letter and tweak your resume to fit the role (I'm not saying do that for every job, but do it for the ones you think you are a really good fit, we know when someone is sending a generic cover letter and it does help a little when its obvious someone is actually trying). This is still a really, really good market for developers and it might not be for very long so start the game!

Thumbtacks posted:

I've always wondered about that. I can't lie, I've always been pretty curious about what previous employers say about me.

99.9% of the time its "They worked here with these titles on these dates". Personal references are obviously a little different, but hopefully there isn't much ambiguity there.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Lockback posted:

And that brings me to the last bit that I think is really important for you. Almost every company has policies against giving any reference information other than title, start date and end date. They don't even let managers give good references (I ignore this when contacted directly if I have good things to say, I live dangerously). You have fallen into the trap of thinking that the company will think about you after you are gone. They won't. They won't care. They won't spend energy and risk lawsuit to give you a bad reference. They probably don't even think about you all that much now and you work for them.

Thanks for this. This is what others have been telling me as well, and yet reading popular job search sites like Monster brings up an endless number of articles by "professionals" talking about the dangers of leaving an employer on bad terms and how important it is to get a good reference before leaving. From what you and many others have said, it sounds like these days, companies tend to almost exclusively give neutral references. Should I even put my boss down as my reference, or should I just put the head of HR? And is it still important to get permission before listing someone as a reference? Some of the poo poo I've read makes it sound like getting a reference is like asking someone to marry you.

I'm embarrassed that I'm so naive about this kind of stuff at my age, but I've had TWO jobs in the last ~14 years. :smith:

Lockback posted:

Get back to job hunting, send lots of resumes out and understand rejection isn't a personal judgment but part of the process, spend 2+ hours everyday job hunting and every day the top 1 or 2 jobs you see take time to craft a personalized cover letter and tweak your resume to fit the role (I'm not saying do that for every job, but do it for the ones you think you are a really good fit, we know when someone is sending a generic cover letter and it does help a little when its obvious someone is actually trying). This is still a really, really good market for developers and it might not be for very long so start the game!

This is my plan. Thanks a lot for the great advice. :)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Find two good personal references who you know will give you good feedback. It doesn't have to be your boss, someone you've worked closely with before, coworker, etc. Then (only if asked) give the corporate contact info for other jobs. You shouldn't list references for each job unless asked, it's a waste of space.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

mekyabetsu posted:

Thanks for this. This is what others have been telling me as well, and yet reading popular job search sites like Monster brings up an endless number of articles by "professionals" talking about the dangers of leaving an employer on bad terms and how important it is to get a good reference before leaving. From what you and many others have said, it sounds like these days, companies tend to almost exclusively give neutral references. Should I even put my boss down as my reference, or should I just put the head of HR? And is it still important to get permission before listing someone as a reference? Some of the poo poo I've read makes it sound like getting a reference is like asking someone to marry you.
This varies a great deal between industries and locations. If you're in a tech hub and want to stay in the local area, your hiring manager probably knows the other hiring managers in your area and will just reach out and ask them directly about you. However, if you're in a big corporate industry, that kind of stuff doesn't matter very much.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Empress Brosephine posted:

What state are you in (or the claim for that matter)? It far more likely they'll look to settle your claim when you hit MMI and I'm assuming your attorney has taken your case on contingency and is still looking to get paid and as such needs you to settle as well. Very rarely will a settlement for a WC claim not also include a release and resignation so you probably won't have to worry about getting fired since you'll be resigning soon. If they do fire you and you pre-injury employment was great or at least problem free you should explore the idea you've already partially articulated more fully - that your employer is retaliating against you. This could add some value to your claim.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Probe posted:

What state are you in (or the claim for that matter)? It far more likely they'll look to settle your claim when you hit MMI and I'm assuming your attorney has taken your case on contingency and is still looking to get paid and as such needs you to settle as well. Very rarely will a settlement for a WC claim not also include a release and resignation so you probably won't have to worry about getting fired since you'll be resigning soon. If they do fire you and you pre-injury employment was great or at least problem free you should explore the idea you've already partially articulated more fully - that your employer is retaliating against you. This could add some value to your claim.

This made me feel a lot better, thank you so much. I know it’s be stupid of me to quit because I would lose the potentiality of retaliation or a bigger settlement. I’m in NH right now. My employer has made me do 3 different jobs since returning which go against the doctors orders...just building a case I guess.

Sorry I haven’t gotten back to this thread yet about my skills and such just been super busy. I promise to get something together.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I have a BA in Outdoor Education, and I was pretty lucky to land a year-round position with (for my industry) good pay and benefits. I mostly enjoy what I do, but I pretty much give up all of my time from early March to late October, which is why I'm posting from work at 11:30 on a Saturday. Short term, I'm probably just going to shotgun applications to everything in the area. Longer-term though, I'd like to make a transition into sustainability work (site planning, corporate/community sustainability initiatives, or waste reduction/remediation). Is it a bad idea to consider pursuing a graduate degree (environmental management) to get closer to this goal? From the research I've done so far, it seem like architecture and engineering -neither of which I have the head for- are solidly represented in the field, with a smaller but still sizable chunk coming from a wide array of backgrounds. I'm nervous about hitching my wagon to another "dream job," and similarly nervous that I won't be able to do what I want without the kind of technical background that I don't have.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 29, 2019

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Nothing is a bad idea as long as you do your research and vet out what the next couple of years will be. I’d consider finding 10+ real job openings you’d like to have in those fields and see what qualifications are. Then maybe find a some people who work there on LinkedIn and ask them if they can chat about it. Then for the ones you like, find a program that has a strong reputation and proven placement, or at least networking opportunities. Going back to school can be a real grind so just really make sure you are up for it. Also imo a good story, passion, and dedication (shown by hard work in trying to break into something through grades/experience/extracurriculars) will usually work in getting into a new field

In terms of ROI, this may not be a job that excites you, but I know someone who was very successful in getting a 2-year degree in Forestry and finding jobs with both utility companies (I guess reasonable clearing of land for lines) and the State for conservation for land maintenance. I don’t know what the pay or outlooks are, but probably pretty decent given the time investment. So depending on the role there may be more than 1 way to do it, and probably ways that you don’t need to be an engineer for.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 29, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Baronash posted:

I have a BA in Outdoor Education, and I was pretty lucky to land a year-round position with (for my industry) good pay and benefits. I mostly enjoy what I do, but I pretty much give up all of my time from early March to late October, which is why I'm posting from work at 11:30 on a Saturday. Short term, I'm probably just going to shotgun applications to everything in the area. Longer-term though, I'd like to make a transition into sustainability work (site planning, corporate/community sustainability initiatives, or waste reduction/remediation). Is it a bad idea to consider pursuing a graduate degree (environmental management) to get closer to this goal? From the research I've done so far, it seem like architecture and engineering -neither of which I have the head for- are solidly represented in the field, with a smaller but still sizable chunk coming from a wide array of backgrounds. I'm nervous about hitching my wagon to another "dream job," and similarly nervous that I won't be able to do what I want without the kind of technical background that I don't have.

get an mba, there's a bunch of conventional tracts like operations or marketing that now include lots of emphasis on sustainability

and that way you will actually get paid

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

get an mba, there's a bunch of conventional tracts like operations or marketing that now include lots of emphasis on sustainability

and that way you will actually get paid
Only get an MBA if someone else is paying for it. They're hella expensive and they won't open any doors.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The MBA doesn't open that many doors unless you go to a top 5, 10, or 20 school. Different sources disagree on where exactly the cutoff is, but no one's going to tell you that there's no point in going to Harvard, Stanford or Wharton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ultrafilter posted:

The MBA doesn't open that many doors unless you go to a top 5, 10, or 20 school. Different sources disagree on where exactly the cutoff is, but no one's going to tell you that there's no point in going to Harvard, Stanford or Wharton.

Below top 20 is where it gets iffy. Local market/segment becomes more important the lower you go.

Top 7 "the m7" are nationally competitive in just about everything.

Top 10 -20 progressively more focused on geo and segment.

Sub 20 need to be very aware of likely exits. Ex: Rice isn't a top MBA, but it does really well in energy finance in Houston. Some lower ranked mbas don't over perform anywhere and just take your money.

It's also easier to get good outcomes from lower-ranked schools if you are already "on the path". Ex someone in finance identified as leadership material might do very well in a lower ranked program (prob attending part time)because its more of an accessory. Whereas if you are totally reinventing a career, you need that high rank to connect and credentialize.