Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's something darkly funny about picturing 8BG saying something horrible in his calm drawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

I recently found some guy who made 8-bit guy/techmoan Youtube poops and they're weirdly great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQbXJefoHy8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIXOH1tJJu4

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

klafbang posted:

He’s not the 8 bit guy

8Bit Guy does at least have a lady in his life:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Bargearse posted:

Latest addition to the computer room right here

The Sharp PC-4741, a PC XT compatible laptop from 1990. Comes with a blazing fast 10MHz NEC V20, 640K RAM, 40MB hard drive, single 1.44MB floppy drive, CGA compatible monochrome LCD display, carry handle, and a really heavy lead acid battery. It's in great condition, looks like it's hardly been used. Probably used two or three times then sat in a storeroom for decades.

A modem card, second floppy drive and external composite video output were available as optional extras. This one didn't have any of those, as it would have added several hundred dollars to the $3,995.00 USD retail price, which when adjusted for inflation comes out to $7,842.00 USD, which gives you an idea of just how much cheaper modern computer hardware is.

Hah, my parents had one of these when I was a kid. I couldn't for the life of me the brand or anything, but I specifically remember the sticker that said "Blazing fast 40mb hard drive". I used it to play Jill of the Jungle and Word Rescue.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

There's something darkly funny about picturing 8BG saying something horrible in his calm drawl.

*weird chuckling before a hard cut*

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Drastic Actions posted:

*weird chuckling before a hard cut*
" as you see here with myself, The Nest Alert Doorcam did a pretty good job getting a good picture of me. Uhhhhh.... even with a hat on, you can make out any distinguishing features."

:cut to workshop view:

"But unfortunately, the camera left a lot to be desired in other conditions"

:cuts to Ring Cam video, where teenager of indiscriminate ethnicity knocks on door:

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Bargearse posted:

Latest addition to the computer room right here

The Sharp PC-4741, a PC XT compatible laptop from 1990. Comes with a blazing fast 10MHz NEC V20, 640K RAM, 40MB hard drive, single 1.44MB floppy drive, CGA compatible monochrome LCD display, carry handle, and a really heavy lead acid battery. It's in great condition, looks like it's hardly been used. Probably used two or three times then sat in a storeroom for decades.

A modem card, second floppy drive and external composite video output were available as optional extras. This one didn't have any of those, as it would have added several hundred dollars to the $3,995.00 USD retail price, which when adjusted for inflation comes out to $7,842.00 USD, which gives you an idea of just how much cheaper modern computer hardware is.

beautiful "Paper White" display!

*moves cursor, there are briefly 30 cursors on screen*

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Shut up Meg posted:

That's just the same person twice, with and without a blanket.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She definitely doesn't look like she wants to be there.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The dog's looking for a way out, too.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Horace posted:

So you turned on the mouse trails thing as well?

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

HardDiskD posted:

So you turned on the mouse trails thing as well?
If not then you get it for free from your passive matrix display anyway

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cojawfee posted:

She definitely doesn't look like she wants to be there.

TotalLossBrain posted:

The dog's looking for a way out, too.

He seems like a completely normal human:

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Shut up Meg posted:

Clint from LGR has mentioned his girlfriend once or twice, but she's never been on camera.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

He seems like a completely normal human:

That's his "looking for minorities to shoot with my concealed carry piece" walk.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never got a chud vibe from LGR, like I would be super surprised if he was any further right than liberal.

8BitGuy on the other hand....

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's always weird when tech people go full chud on their channel. I was watching the eevblog guy solder some project he had and then he started going off on how the UK should just do brexit already because some old people were tricked into it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

It's always weird when tech people go full chud on their channel. I was watching the eevblog guy solder some project he had and then he started going off on how the UK should just do brexit already because some old people were tricked into it.

He also hates the Chinese worker.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LGR is definitely not a chud. 8-bit guy, probably is

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Has 8-Bit Guy ever done some chud social media posting or something? Like, I totally get that vibe from him too, but I've also never seen specific evidence of it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im american so i have no frame of reference for the level of chudness techmoan gives off. can some british goons chime in

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Kanine posted:

im american so i have no frame of reference for the level of chudness techmoan gives off. can some british goons chime in

Pretty much none. He seems very harmless. The strongest opinion he probably holds would be relating to a bus lane or possibly parking in the city centre.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Horace posted:

I remember playing Comet Busters on one of those things.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lotion Tester posted:

Has 8-Bit Guy ever done some chud social media posting or something? Like, I totally get that vibe from him too, but I've also never seen specific evidence of it.
He can be a bit of a doofus and he likes guns too much. I've never actually watched videos where he talks about guns so I can't really say if he's a full blown gun nut or not.

Clint has never given off Chud vibes ever in the last 10 years. Lot of projection going on here for a guy whose worst crime is a combover.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Did anyone ever even talk about the possibility of LGR being a Nazi before people starting to post "I don't think he's a Nazi"?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think Jerry Cotton is a nazi.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My "Not a nazi" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did anyone ever even talk about the possibility of LGR being a Nazi before people starting to post "I don't think he's a Nazi"?
Some guy pops into threads where he gets mentioned to say that Clint used to be an rear end in a top hat online in his pre-YouTube days. "Used to be an edgelord" could probably describe 95% of SA's userbase.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
He also lost his sister under tragic circumstances, odds are good he was still hurting from that and taking it out on the internet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bargearse posted:

He also lost his sister under tragic circumstances, odds are good he was still hurting from that and taking it out on the internet.
Even given that, I've never seen any evidence that he was any more of an rear end in a top hat than anyone else on the early 2000s internet. Of course I haven't seen evidence of him being an rear end in a top hat, period.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Yeah, if there was one common thread to early 2000s internet culture, it was "being an rear end in a top hat is funny".

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Bargearse posted:

Yeah, if there was one common thread to early 2000s internet culture, it was "being an rear end in a top hat is funny".

Hell, just look where we're having this conversation for a start.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There's nothing like making up our own fantasies about other people's political views

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I suspected that's where things were coming from, and will continue to watch Off-kilter Texasman deep clean VIC-20s.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lotion Tester posted:

I suspected that's where things were coming from, and will continue to watch Off-kilter Texasman deep clean VIC-20s.
He shared some progress on this dream project of making a custom board for some Vic20 updated platform and there was some legit cool engineering going on from himself and the three people he's been working with.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's at least nice to know that Clint isn't a chud

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

When the Ion Maiden nonsense from a month ago was happening LGR's twitter mentions were full of people with names like N Word Sayer and BasedKek1488 bleating at him about bolshevist censorship and he seemed like he wanted very badly to have no involvement at all with any of it. Dude is one of that rare breed of content creators whose dedication to being apolitical is both consistent and seemingly not a cloak for something horrible, but chuds can't help fuckin ruining everything by injecting their insanely sad bullshit into video games and everything else they touch, so.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's a cool project but I don't know if it's going to go anywhere. I got excited when I saw the first video where he talked about designing his dream computer and was interested in following along. Then he released the second video where the design was pretty much done and he didn't explain any of it besides saying that they did it. I was hoping he would go over how they actually designed it and what went into the software to it runs, but he doesn't. In the end it seems like it's just a teaser to an upcoming kickstarter where you can just buy one eventually. That doesn't really interest me because I'd rather learn how it works than just have one. Plus, you can just download the emulator. It feels more like that game that Notch wanted to make where you control a spaceship with a fake 8bit computer and people made emulators based off the language he created and then it just died and never got further than that.

I feel like people that want to get into vintage computing either want to just buy an old commodore and mess around with it, or they want to make their own thing. You can buy a real commodore for 200 bucks, buy this thing for 100-300 bucks, or you can just download a commodore emulator for free.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Casimir Radon posted:

He can be a bit of a doofus and he likes guns too much. I've never actually watched videos where he talks about guns so I can't really say if he's a full blown gun nut or not.

Clint has never given off Chud vibes ever in the last 10 years. Lot of projection going on here for a guy whose worst crime is a combover.

I've known a bunch of dudes like him and all of them had more than one Ayn Rand book on the shelf is all I'm gonna say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

You Am I posted:

There's nothing like making up our own fantasies about other people's political views

What's the point of the internet if we can't project our own insecurities onto others?