Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

I use a tortilla press and a crepe pan. What I need though is a second crepe pan so I can double my throughput. Even with just one pan it's much faster than that tortilla maker. We also need to note they are also tiny tortillas.

you guys are totally overthinking this, just use a pasta maker jeeze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Man, now I really wanna make some pupusas for my wife.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

naan is the only bread worth eating but you gotta adhere it to the top of the oven with a ball of ultra sticky dough so it bakes in the form of mt fuji, which can be inverted and filled with curry.

curry is called kare because it's kare. this is the yakitate of japan. let us meditate upon it.

Settle down there Kazuma.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Shine posted:

best husband

I just buy the amazing tortillas from the factory in Revere and they cost $1.19 for a pound bag. Sometimes they’re still warm when they get to the grocery store :swoon:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah it seems like a lot of kitchen gadgets are more about adding an extra step or making something cheap and simple into something expensive and inconvenient. I despise Keurig machines for basically that reason; coffee is not a complicated process and does not need pods, expensive machines, and extra steps.

Everyone I know who has a Keurig uses it for hot chocolate, something a child with access to a microwave could make with about as much effort, maybe less.

Shine posted:

I tried these for the first time last year and holy poo poo they're so good. I forget what all was in them at the hole in the wall place we went to but my favorite were pork and loroco. :discourse:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
A Keurig makes sense in small offices and hotel breakfasts, where people want freshly brewed coffee on different schedules with minimal wait and don't directly pay for the DRM coffee. Also for hipsters who want a single cup of coffee at home and don't care about the cost.

A Juicero vaguely makes sense at hotel breakfasts, where people want juice on different schedules with minimal wait and don't pay for the DRM fruit. Also for hipsters who want a single cup of juice at home and are too stupid to squeeze an orange (makes a bit more sense for juices that would require (cleaning of) a blender).

A DRM tortilla maker makes no sense anywhere because people don't want a single of them or to eat them on separate schedules. Except for hipsters at home who have no friends.

Turns out the hipster market isn't enough on its own.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

klafbang posted:

A Juicero vaguely makes sense at hotel breakfasts, where people want juice on different schedules with minimal wait and don't pay for the DRM fruit. Also for hipsters who want a single cup of juice at home and are too stupid to squeeze an orange (makes a bit more sense for juices that would require (cleaning of) a blender).

No this doesn't make sense. Because Juicero is targeted at believers in a specific pseudoscience diet, where they believe you can only get "life force" out of juice if the fruit has been diced up in a specific way and then squeezed in a press, with no preservatives or anything.

You would never want to use it for people who just want juice at a hotel or home, unless they specifically believed in the life force thing.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Manuel Calavera posted:

Settle down there Kazuma.

you made my week getting this, thank you.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

fishmech posted:

No this doesn't make sense. Because Juicero is targeted at believers in a specific pseudoscience diet, where they believe you can only get "life force" out of juice if the fruit has been diced up in a specific way and then squeezed in a press, with no preservatives or anything.

You would never want to use it for people who just want juice at a hotel or home, unless they specifically believed in the life force thing.

I've seen a lot of Juicero content, but this is the first I've ever heard of a super cutting method that gives you life force.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The General posted:

I've seen a lot of Juicero content, but this is the first I've ever heard of a super cutting method that gives you life force.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/business/juicero-juice-system-silicon-valley-interest.html
Ultimately, however, what makes Juicero so special is not quantifiable by conventional science, said Mr. Evans, the founder and chief executive.

“Not all juice is equal,” he said. “How do you measure life force? How do you measure chi?”

https://www.vox.com/2016/9/12/12893026/doug-evans-juicero-too-embarrassed-to-ask-podcast-transcript
LG: Good questions, Peter. Thanks. We got a couple questions about chi. The first question comes from Sam Biddle, @SamFBiddle on Twitter, who wanted me to ask about this. Because you were quoted as saying in a previous article, "Not all juice is equal. How do you measure life force, how do you measure chi?" We had a follow-up question from Nitin Gupta, @nitingupta2 who asks, "Yes, how much chi does it contain per serving?" I literally don't know what they're talking about so if you could help explain chi that would be great.

KS: Yes, thank you.

CEO: So chi to me — and it's kind of funny in that people will tend to make jokes about things. For me, I'm serious as a heart attack. So when I describe chi and life force and in preparation I really want to be clear. If you were to take a steamed almond and a raw almond, they look the same. But if you plant them, what's going to happen to the steamed almond?

KS: It's going to grow an almond tree.

CEO: No, the steamed one is going to decay. It's going to rot. But the raw almond —

KS: Oh, okay. I'm not a farmer.

CEO: But you get now that if you steam it, you actually remove the life force. It's dead. So it will just decay. But that raw almond will have that chi in it. And that chi will allow it to sprout into a seedling and grow into an almond tree and replicate itself a million times over.

LG: So chi is life?

CEO: It's life force.

KS: Life force. It's life force. But I think Sam asked the other question, why would anyone buy this because they could buy juice? What makes it more special besides the chi part?

CEO: It's fresh. To me, chi was an esoteric way of describing that this is fresh. So most things that are in bottles and cans are frozen or pasteurized or processed. And Juicero, the shift in Juicero is like, we're not selling juice. We are selling fresh produce and then the Juicero press presses out juice from the produce.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

you made my week getting this, thank you.

I have the whole manga collection, save for like 4 of the 21 volumes. It's a good series. Iron Wok Jan is good too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

klafbang posted:

A Keurig makes sense in small offices and hotel breakfasts, where people want freshly brewed coffee on different schedules with minimal wait and don't directly pay for the DRM coffee. Also for hipsters who want a single cup of coffee at home and don't care about the cost.

A DRM tortilla maker makes no sense anywhere because people don't want a single of them or to eat them on separate schedules. Except for hipsters at home who have no friends.

Turns out the hipster market isn't enough on its own.

The rotimatic taps into mom guilt in their advertising. Your kids come home from school and want fresh traditional rotis, but there is no woman there to cook for them. :qq: With rotimatic they just push a few buttons, wait through the horrible grinding noises, and hot rotis appear! Yay, you are not a failure as a mother.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

fishmech posted:

“Not all juice is equal,” he said. “How do you measure life force? How do you measure chi?”

Of course, he's moved on to a slightly different kind of bullshit:

quote:

Unfiltered Fervor: The Rush to Get Off the Water Grid

The most prominent proponent of raw water is Doug Evans, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur. After his juicing company, Juicero, collapsed in September, he went on a 10-day cleanse, drinking nothing but Live Water. “I haven’t tasted tap water in a long time,” he said.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

chi bullshit

"So you could take one of your pouches and plant it and it would grow?"

"Don't be a loving moron."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If drinking the expensive juice bag will give me enough control of my ki to perform the kamehameha, I'll buy it

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skul-gun posted:

Of course, he's moved on to a slightly different kind of bullshit:

jfc that white guy with long hair sitting on a log at the beach calling himself "Mukhande Singh"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fauxtool posted:

jfc that white guy with long hair sitting on a log at the beach calling himself "Mukhande Singh"

should of called himself SAI BABA, whose whole deal is that he stabs people with a sick pair of sais.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I have the whole manga collection, save for like 4 of the 21 volumes. It's a good series. Iron Wok Jan is good too.

i've not read the comic but you bet your rear end i broguht all 300 episodes of the anime to summer camp and me and all the other dweebs spent the whole year baking.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

It gets better. Turns out Live Water was just bottling tap water from Oregon.

https://www.wweek.com/culture/2018/09/26/a-raw-water-company-is-selling-silicon-valley-tech-moguls-oregon-tap-water-for-60-a-jug/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the juicero guy owns imo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

fishmech posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/business/juicero-juice-system-silicon-valley-interest.html
Ultimately, however, what makes Juicero so special is not quantifiable by conventional science, said Mr. Evans, the founder and chief executive.

https://www.vox.com/2016/9/12/12893026/doug-evans-juicero-too-embarrassed-to-ask-podcast-transcript
LG: Good questions, Peter. Thanks. We got a couple questions about chi. The first question comes from Sam Biddle, @SamFBiddle on Twitter, who wanted me to ask about this. Because you were quoted as saying in a previous article, "Not all juice is equal. How do you measure life force, how do you measure chi?" We had a follow-up question from Nitin Gupta, @nitingupta2 who asks, "Yes, how much chi does it contain per serving?" I literally don't know what they're talking about so if you could help explain chi that would be great.

KS: Yes, thank you.

CEO: So chi to me — and it's kind of funny in that people will tend to make jokes about things. For me, I'm serious as a heart attack. So when I describe chi and life force and in preparation I really want to be clear. If you were to take a steamed almond and a raw almond, they look the same. But if you plant them, what's going to happen to the steamed almond?

KS: It's going to grow an almond tree.

CEO: No, the steamed one is going to decay. It's going to rot. But the raw almond —

KS: Oh, okay. I'm not a farmer.

CEO: But you get now that if you steam it, you actually remove the life force. It's dead. So it will just decay. But that raw almond will have that chi in it. And that chi will allow it to sprout into a seedling and grow into an almond tree and replicate itself a million times over.

LG: So chi is life?

CEO: It's life force.

KS: Life force. It's life force. But I think Sam asked the other question, why would anyone buy this because they could buy juice? What makes it more special besides the chi part?

CEO: It's fresh. To me, chi was an esoteric way of describing that this is fresh. So most things that are in bottles and cans are frozen or pasteurized or processed. And Juicero, the shift in Juicero is like, we're not selling juice. We are selling fresh produce and then the Juicero press presses out juice from the produce.

Also the entire reason the Juicero works with a pressing motion is because extracting juice by the traditional blending of countertop juicers disrupts that magic life force in a way that squeezing doesn't. Some juice weirdos at least try and couch it in something actually measurable and vaguely plausible like the heat generated by the motor degrading the nutrients or whatever but he didn't even bother and just went straight to magic.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

fishmech posted:

"How do you measure life force, how do you measure chi?"

Some rear end in a top hat crushed all the scouters, so I guess we'll never know.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
You measure chi using a chi-squared test.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PlayEnchanted/status/1181660881593221121

This KS hasn't launched yet, but....man this breaks my heart. There's obviously heart and passion and work being put into this, but for the sake of a sterile Cuphead clone that's not even subtle about it? What a waste.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Volcott posted:

Legally they have to call it sparkling stew unless it's made at Kure Naval Arsenal.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Neat. I wonder what other get rich quick schemes I can steal from old Only Fools and Horses episodes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Waffleman_ posted:

This KS hasn't launched yet, but....man this breaks my heart. There's obviously heart and passion and work being put into this, but for the sake of a sterile Cuphead clone that's not even subtle about it? What a waste.

That's... really shameless, and yet like you said you can tell he put a lot of effort into the excecution of something that in form and function seems to be a shovelware knockoff.

Reminds me of "fantasy heartbreaker" TTRPGS: those guys who would, in the misguided confidence their passion would translate into general interest, come up with and self-publish a painstakingly chronicled fantasy tabletop RPGs with tomes really detailed cultures and history that were nevertheless a pastiche D&D's pastiche of Tolkein with elves and orcs and stuff.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

What series are you mentioning? Seems neat.
Meanwhile the juicero dude ended up crazier than expected.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlbear Camus posted:

That's... really shameless, and yet like you said you can tell he put a lot of effort into the excecution of something that in form and function seems to be a shovelware knockoff.

Reminds me of "fantasy heartbreaker" TTRPGS: those guys who would, in the misguided confidence their passion would translate into general interest, come up with and self-publish a painstakingly chronicled fantasy tabletop RPGs with tomes really detailed cultures and history that were nevertheless a pastiche D&D's pastiche of Tolkein with elves and orcs and stuff.

There's a real issue with 'fantasy' being so narrow in focus and blatant D&D knockoffs that old school grognards genuinely believe it's radical innovation to call elves something slightly different.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What series are you mentioning? Seems neat.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

yakitate of japan

If you are interested in more series there is a Food manga thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776167

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Games are real hard. The animation for a game like this is insanely hard. I think it looks good and wish the indie devs the best, I don't think they remotely deserve all the poo poo they're getting.

Like if you aren't interested cool, there's a billion indie games out there most people aren't interested in? But people are acting like they've committed a sin and must be destroyed for it. :sigh:

IDK its got a unique setting and looks like they're probably gonna change up the gameplay a bit. Shmups tend to be very similar.

Owlbear Camus posted:

in form and function seems to be a shovelware knockoff.

That's not remotely fair. It looks insanely polished, actually?

Nobody complains about Gradius being a shovelware knockoff of R-type...

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
good luck with your kickstarter zaphod i hope you make a bazillion dollars

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Leave it to one thread Zaphod, I don't wanna have to read your rants about this across the whole forum

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Games are real hard. The animation for a game like this is insanely hard. I think it looks good and wish the indie devs the best, I don't think they remotely deserve all the poo poo they're getting.

Like if you aren't interested cool, there's a billion indie games out there most people aren't interested in? But people are acting like they've committed a sin and must be destroyed for it. :sigh:

IDK its got a unique setting and looks like they're probably gonna change up the gameplay a bit. Shmups tend to be very similar.

The main issue is that there doesn't look to be anything in there that isn't already in Cuphead but Cuphead did it better. It's a two-player run-and-gun platformer co-op game, focused on ~zany bullshit~ multistage transforming bosses but without the rest of the frame-by-frame hand-drawn aesthetic that was painstakingly implemented to justify them, the same jump arcs and shooting pace and enemies that don't react, hell the player characters have identical proportions to Cuphead and Mugman and do almost exactly the same actions- a big slow flip for a main jump, a one-handed magical plink for their main weapon, long-term charge-ups for slightly underwhelming special attacks. The only new thing looks to be a shield that can cancel enemy attacks, you know, just like the counter jump but worse.

The plot, as far as it's been revealed in the trailer, is basically the same as well- mischeivous young player characters overestimate themselves, get greedy, overreach, get in too deep and now need to kill a bunch of things in order to get back out. But hey you have to save a cat in this one that's probably different enough.

The flip animation is the part that's weirding me out- that looks to be a frame-by-frame copy of the Cuphead jump, but the rest of the game seems to be built around a tweening system that takes a lot of the work off the animators.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

you cant be this loving dense

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

you cant be this loving dense
You sure?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Somfin posted:

The main issue is that there doesn't look to be anything in there that isn't already in Cuphead but Cuphead did it better.

Yeah but its also just a pitch, they are trying to launch a kickstarter to fund making the game, so... that's kinda an inherent challenge with not having made the game yet.

I'm not saying its gonna be amazing but I don't think it deserves some of the hate its getting. Almost all games copy game design liberally from other games, some of them copy style too.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but its also just a pitch, they are trying to launch a kickstarter to fund making the game, so... that's kinda an inherent challenge with not having made the game yet.

Isn't that the exact time you'd want to bring out something that sets your product apart from the incredibly polished competition? The developers have probably worked their rear end off on the game but if that's what their kickstarter's video looks like then having the internet pissed off at them is probably the best case scenario, because the alternative is nobody talking about it at all when they see it and think "ah, cuphead but worse".

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There's "liberally copying game design and style", and then there's straight up being the Kmart version of a critically acclaimed, well known, well selling game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not saying its gonna be amazing but I don't think it deserves some of the hate its getting. Almost all games copy game design liberally from other games, some of them copy style too.

Any game worth making has at least one unique selling point that can be put front and centre. The pitch has to center on that unique selling point. If it turns out that Enchanted Portals has some sort of weapon crafting system that lets you build your own spells, or whatever, that should have been front and centre of the pitch.

To use an example, OverDungeon is very explicitly a slightly worse Slay the Spire knockoff in terms of gameplay superstructure, but its unique selling point is its real-time combat elements and ability to almost handle the sheer quantity of minions and towers and spells and cards and other bullshit that you're able to push onto the field. Its trailer focuses almost exclusively on the latter while quietly moving past the former- there's a little moment where the trailer player's abuse of a multiplying card causes the framerate to stutter; to me that reads less as a fail state and more as a "the system is too big for the engine lol" selling point.

Cuphead's animation style is one thing, its gameplay is a second thing, its plot is a third thing and its game structure is a fourth thing, and Portals looks like it's slapped a coat of paint on two of them and put them all back out with minimal adjustments. Games copy all the time, sure, but they usually have the sense to copy only one or two things from any specific game at a time.

Shovel Knight famously ripped a whole bunch of stuff from a wide variety of old games, but it hit so many simultaneously that it comes out like a fresh and vibrant remix of things you liked rather than drawing too many comparisons to any single game that you really like. It also, critically, avoided taking too many cues from any particular game's visual style. There are a lot of old cartoons that Cuphead drew from and using other artists from the same era or, hey, why not a different era, would have suited Portals better than basically just jacking Cuphead's style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Somfin posted:

Any game worth making has at least one unique selling point that can be put front and centre.

I can understand your view, but you can agree most games produced don't actually meet this standard, right? Madden 20 has no unique selling point. But it'll make millions.

I just think people are holding a little indie game up to way too high a standard while also holding AAA games to strangely not even the same standard.

Fortnite is literally just Epic knocking off Player Unknown's Battlegrounds after it became popular, and everybody just jumped over to Fortnite without calling it criminal theft.

Fortnite seems to play a bit better (I haven't played either yet) and I doubt there's any way this will ever be as popular as Cuphead.
But I don't think that means that it sucks, or is immoral. Its a couple of indie devs who are trying to make something that takes advantage of their animation talent and appeal to an existing audience.

Somfin posted:

and its game structure is a fourth thing, and Portals looks like it's slapped a coat of paint on two of them and put them all back out with minimal adjustments.

We haven't seen levels, much less an overworld, so this seems like a massive exaggeration? Feels like they may just do boss rush, which was the original design of cuphead but they ended up adding levels and and overworld.

Hard to predict since it isn't done yet, but then that's kinda the point here.

There also wasn't any parrying or jumping on projectiles in the trailer, which are both cruxes of Cuphead's gameplay, so... IDK. I think people are being harsh.

It definitely apes a lot from cuphead. But almost every art apes a ton from other art. Usually people don't care as much. Just seems disproportionate.