Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I was with my mom in Costco and we picked up an Instant Pot + SV model. She was amazed by the SV things I have done for my parents, and we both had heard great things about instant pot. I made a couple things with it while visiting this weekend to great raves and reviews, so now she wants me to send them recipes, which I am more than happy to do. Whenever my mom goes away to visit friends, family, business, etc she always likes to make it so my step dad has an easily reheated meal and so usually makes chili, a lot of soups, etc. I looked on the first three pages and didn't see an Instant Pot thread, so where is the best place to get recipes for literally anything Instant Pot on SA? Should I just check the pressure cooker thread? I know google is a treasure trove of this, but I like to hear recipes that have a modicum of second hand worth. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

swickles posted:

I was with my mom in Costco and we picked up an Instant Pot + SV model. She was amazed by the SV things I have done for my parents, and we both had heard great things about instant pot. I made a couple things with it while visiting this weekend to great raves and reviews, so now she wants me to send them recipes, which I am more than happy to do. Whenever my mom goes away to visit friends, family, business, etc she always likes to make it so my step dad has an easily reheated meal and so usually makes chili, a lot of soups, etc. I looked on the first three pages and didn't see an Instant Pot thread, so where is the best place to get recipes for literally anything Instant Pot on SA? Should I just check the pressure cooker thread? I know google is a treasure trove of this, but I like to hear recipes that have a modicum of second hand worth. Thanks!

Yes, check the pressure cooker thread. Instant Pot is just a brand of electric pressure cooker, there’s nothing special about them other than they’re popular.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well the new Sous vide function is nice so that people don’t have to buy a separate sv device, especially since it’s cheaper than previous models

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

swickles posted:

A great/easy one that I probably make a couple times a month is this 'tandoori chicken' recipe. I modify it a bit by sauteing diced onions before adding everything else to the instant pot (instead of using onion powder), adding some standard ground black pepper, and I thicken it up after it's done with a little bit of flour. I serve it on basmati rice.

Just a note - the recipe as written is decently spicy, maybe too much so for a lot of people who don't eat spicy food. You can just add less chili powder.

e:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

After 19 years of service, our KitchenAid Professional 6 qt mixer gave up the ghost on a particularly stiff dough (was actually doing 16 cups worth in smaller batches in hopes of not killing the old gal). Now, even these all metal gear pro models have sacrificial plastic gears that go first, but I think mine predates the thermal protection. It wasn’t the gears that died. There was smoke coming out of the housing.

Worth the arcane ritual to find the right parts and likely replace motor and control board, and maybe the plastic gears and replace the plastic transmission housing with a metal one?
The factory repair and troubleshooting manuals don’t cover my symptoms, just says ‘contact us for help’ which isn’t encouraging.

Alternative: go and get something like the Bosch Universal Mixer or Ankarsrum?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ultimate Mango posted:

After 19 years of service, our KitchenAid Professional 6 qt mixer gave up the ghost on a particularly stiff dough (was actually doing 16 cups worth in smaller batches in hopes of not killing the old gal). Now, even these all metal gear pro models have sacrificial plastic gears that go first, but I think mine predates the thermal protection. It wasn’t the gears that died. There was smoke coming out of the housing.

Worth the arcane ritual to find the right parts and likely replace motor and control board, and maybe the plastic gears and replace the plastic transmission housing with a metal one?
The factory repair and troubleshooting manuals don’t cover my symptoms, just says ‘contact us for help’ which isn’t encouraging.

Alternative: go and get something like the Bosch Universal Mixer or Ankarsrum?

You know what I'm going to say

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I don't know if the Ankararsrum is worth the price premium but I do know the Bosch is

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Happiness Commando posted:

I don't know if the Ankararsrum is worth the price premium but I do know the Bosch is

It is.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I come from a Bosch family and my wife from a KitchenAid family.
Perhaps, when my ship comes in, my children will be an Ankarsrum family.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thank you for the suggestions friends.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Well the new Sous vide function is nice so that people don’t have to buy a separate sv device, especially since it’s cheaper than previous models

Does it circulate the water or just hold it at a temp?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sportman posted:

Does it circulate the water or just hold it at a temp?

In the device I bought, there doesn't seem to be a water calculator, but I am not sure if they have engineered a way to maintain near constant temp through a variety of sensors and heating elements.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sitting bath sous vides are fine, I used a crockpot and PID temp controller for years. $70 for a device that pressure cooks and also sous vides is hard to beat

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

swickles posted:

https://pressureluckcooking.com/

He has online recipes, and youtube videos of him making them. He's a gay jewish dude living in Brooklyn, and is about what you'd expect of him. Entertaining, good recipes.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

If any of y’all missed the deal on that KitchenAid Pro 600 stand mixer last week, but you still want one, Amazon has 6 different colors on sale for $300, which isn’t half bad.

Cobalt Blue: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AYS726/ref=psdc_289932_t1_B06XVFRM1Z?th=1
Gloss Cinnamon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AYS9ZQ/ref=psdc_289932_t1_B06XVFRM1Z?th=1
Majestic Yellow: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AYSCV2/ref=psdc_289932_t1_B06XVFRM1Z?th=1
Onyx Black: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P9GWFS/ref=psdc_289932_t1_B06XVFRM1Z?th=1
Pearl Metallic: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Y5XA6/ref=psdc_289932_t1_B06XVFRM1Z?th=1
White: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P9EWYQ/ref=psdc_289932_t1_B06XVFRM1Z?th=1

For reference, I think the lowest price I’ve ever seen on these was like $250, and that was several years ago on the Majestic Yellow color only, so this is a pretty good price.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 3, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How much were the lifty bowls back in the old days

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

How much were the lifty bowls back in the old days

My professional 6 was ~$500 circa 2000

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Trolling the clearance section at the rich people market. Found an instant pot model sous vide machine for $25. Feels good, man.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is all clad cookware worth it? I have a copper bottom set from costco that works fine for most things and am wondering if all clad will give me better browning when I'm pan frying chicken and steaks and whatnot.

Every review of cookware reccomends it, but when you look at the amazon reviews they are super negative. Do most people just not know how to cook and are idiots?

I cook nearly everything at home and am a pretty good cook with a wide repertoire.

Edit: posted this in the general ask thread before this since I missed this thread on my first look through.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Washout posted:

Is all clad cookware worth it? I have a copper bottom set from costco that works fine for most things and am wondering if all clad will give me better browning when I'm pan frying chicken and steaks and whatnot.

Every review of cookware reccomends it, but when you look at the amazon reviews they are super negative. Do most people just not know how to cook and are idiots?

I cook nearly everything at home and am a pretty good cook with a wide repertoire.

Edit: posted this in the general ask thread before this since I missed this thread on my first look through.

Tri-ply is good but not magical or anything. If you do want some, off-brands like Tramontina or Costco’s Kirkland Signature are 95% as good as All-Clad for like 1/4 the price. If you want better searing, pick up a Lodge cast iron skillet for like $20.

I don’t see bad reviews on Amazon, but my guess is that people don’t know how to cook on stainless steel cookware.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are the pasta attachments for KitchenAid stand mixers any good? My dad really wants to get the 5-piece deluxe roller/cutter set with the 25% off coupon we got with our mixer purchase.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Are the pasta attachments for KitchenAid stand mixers any good? My dad really wants to get the 5-piece deluxe roller/cutter set with the 25% off coupon we got with our mixer purchase.

For flat pastas I don't understand why you wouldn't use a hand roller or a rolling pin. I have the pasta extruder for the KitchenAid and it works well but you need to have perfect dough or you'll destroy the mixer (if it's too dry).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Crossposting from general questions:

quote:

Anyone have good experiences (or experiences at all) using a Jaccard meat tenderizer? Amazon replies seem to be mostly focused on the difficulty of cleaning them but not much about how well they work.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VelociBacon posted:

For flat pastas I don't understand why you wouldn't use a hand roller or a rolling pin. I have the pasta extruder for the KitchenAid and it works well but you need to have perfect dough or you'll destroy the mixer (if it's too dry).

Yeah right after posting that I checked the price of the Marcato Atlas 150 on Amazon and it’s like a quarter of the price of the KitchenAid attachments for (I’m assuming) a better machine.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

the hand rollers are much superior

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I've got some "stainless steel" baking sheets that have still seemed to rust in the time I've used them. When I reheated an english muffin and some cornbread on them tonight, the surface of each that was touching the steel smelled weird, different from the rest of each, and there was some kind of film under the muffin. Is this bad quality metal? Should I get new ones?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Hopefully others will chip in, but my experiences with jacquard-ed meat has always left me wondering if it added any value pounding thinner wouldn't have. Thicker cuts (over 7-8cm) I've never tried it on, but I can't imagine it'd just make the meat feel "processed"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Its Coke posted:

I've got some "stainless steel" baking sheets that have still seemed to rust in the time I've used them. When I reheated an english muffin and some cornbread on them tonight, the surface of each that was touching the steel smelled weird, different from the rest of each, and there was some kind of film under the muffin. Is this bad quality metal? Should I get new ones?

Seems weird and gross. You could scotch-brite the nasty areas to remove any film or corrosion, but I would probably just replace with aluminum sheet pans instead. They will stain pretty extensively but I don’t really mind cooking on them despite that, especially since you can just line with parchment or foil if you want a clean surface.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Lawnie posted:

Seems weird and gross. You could scotch-brite the nasty areas to remove any film or corrosion, but I would probably just replace with aluminum sheet pans instead. They will stain pretty extensively but I don’t really mind cooking on them despite that, especially since you can just line with parchment or foil if you want a clean surface.

I'm trying to avoid aluminum because it might be toxic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Its Coke posted:

You could always go ceramic for baking tray. Or put a silicon baking mat on the inside of your gross pan and bake on that depending on application.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Its Coke posted:

I hope you never go out to eat or buy anything from a commercial bakery. I can almost guarantee they are using aluminum pots and pans of some type.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

AnonSpore posted:

I bought one and havent used it in years. It definitely does something and if I was really committed to eating hangar or flank steak all the time for whatever reason I'd use it but I just don't eat tough steak very often so I dont mind it being chewy on when I do.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I got one of those sets years and years ago for Christmas and they're fine. I had been using a hand roller prior to that that was tricky to run myself with feeding the dough + turning the crank + catching everything, but my kitchen is also tiny and has limited space for clamping. You def don't need a 5 piece set, I think 3 of them from mine still have stickers on them as I just use the flat roller and the angel hair cutter.

Would def recommend a manual machine over it, I would never have bought the kitchenaid one if it wasn't a gift and i'm 90% sure it was regifted to me (it was open and I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to return it).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Its Coke posted:

It is toxic. So's copper. So are the chromium and nickel in stainless steel. So are the psoralens in celery, the the solanine in potatoes, the cyanogenic glycosides in barley, the hydrazines in mushrooms, and a great many other things you are unavoidably exposed to every single day.

Dose is relevant. Aluminum cookware will not harm you.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Phanatic posted:

It is toxic. So's copper. So are the chromium and nickel in stainless steel. So are the psoralens in celery, the the solanine in potatoes, the cyanogenic glycosides in barley, the hydrazines in mushrooms, and a great many other things you are unavoidably exposed to every single day.

Dose is relevant. Aluminum cookware will not harm you.

I was going to say, your aluminum exposure is significantly greater from antiperspirant than cookware, but then again you are a goon so chances of using one are pretty small.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Have you guys heard what's in vaccines?!?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Have you guys heard what's in vaccines?!?

I got a flu shot and cooked with aluminum cookware. I now have autism and alzheimers.

I keep forgetting that I like trains. :(

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got a flu shot and cooked with aluminum cookware. I now have autism and alzheimers.

I keep forgetting that I like trains. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLxb5rtmyM

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Parts of my Instant Pot broken/lost by my uncharacteristic clumsiness over the past few years:

- float valve silicon thing (dropped the lid)
- float valve cap thing (dropped the lid)
- the pot (freak accident involving a cutting board (which fell))
- the lid (all that dropping, plus some more dropping)

The silicon ring and the base are original, but I've staved in one side of the base (by dropping it). It's just a matter of time before we're into "That's the same ax that slayed me" territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

It's just a matter of time before we're into "That's the same ax that slayed me" territory.

I believe you mean the Instant Pot of Theseus :hist101: