Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

bradburypancakes posted:

Just saw an ad for MBS on 60 Minutes coming up, sounds like he gets asked point blank if he ordered the murder.

Also, does Iraq have a functioning Air Force now?
Iraq definitely has a functioning Air Force in the anti-insurgent/anti-ISIS sense, here's a super useful tweet that lists the Iraqi Air Force's activities during the 2014-2017 fight against ISIS:

https://twitter.com/IraqiSecurity/status/988501646211678215

quote:

Infographic on activities of #Iraq's Air Force from 10th June 2014 until 31st December 2017 🇮🇶

Air raids:
•Su-25: 3562,
•F-16: 514,
•AN-32: 990,
•L-159: 398,

Transport:
•C-130: 11,584.
•AN-32: 5,949.

Armed recon:
•Cessna Caravan: 3,459 (fired 2,660 Hellfire missiles).
Yes you read that last one right, Iraq has Cessnas with Hellfires (specifically the AC-208 Combat Caravan) :

https://twitter.com/AnankeGroup/status/743373487687995392

https://twitter.com/DerekBisaccio/status/828987891523137537

https://twitter.com/IraqiSecurity/status/823479665885118466

Once you get over the strange hilarity of what is basically a civilian plane armed with Hellfire missiles, you realize that it's actually a terrifyingly effective missile delivery system when your opponent has no anti-air measures to speak of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpQ0GpJTLJk
Video has a lot of strikes against ISIS, so yeah it's kinda NSFW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

3peat posted:

A ton of vehicles, prisoners and dead bodies, it gets very NSFL at times. The pictures floating around seem to have been taken from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DdNiQXjoz0

I will eat every bite my entire rear end raw if some of these captured kids wearing civvies are a day older than sixteen.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Saladin Rising posted:

Iraq definitely has a functioning Air Force in the anti-insurgent/anti-ISIS sense, here's a super useful tweet that lists the Iraqi Air Force's activities during the 2014-2017 fight against ISIS:

https://twitter.com/IraqiSecurity/status/988501646211678215

Yes you read that last one right, Iraq has Cessnas with Hellfires (specifically the AC-208 Combat Caravan) :

https://twitter.com/AnankeGroup/status/743373487687995392

https://twitter.com/DerekBisaccio/status/828987891523137537

https://twitter.com/IraqiSecurity/status/823479665885118466

Once you get over the strange hilarity of what is basically a civilian plane armed with Hellfire missiles, you realize that it's actually a terrifyingly effective missile delivery system when your opponent has no anti-air measures to speak of:

This is what Eric Prince wants to create and sell to proto fascist pro Eric Prince's interest governments.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

I will eat every bite my entire rear end raw if some of these captured kids wearing civvies are a day older than sixteen.

Of the pictures I've seen of the captured soldiers some of them look quite a bit old too. Which is also really sad.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Wow. I can't believe the literal child serf army the Saudis are fielding aren't doing well against veteran guerrilla fighters.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn the Houthis also use child soldiers.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn the Houthis also use child soldiers.

When a poor, weak country gets invaded by a powerful, wealthy country that is intentionally racking up civilian casualties, outside observers tend to give the weak country a pass.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've been vocally opposed to the Saudi intervention for years, and do think the Saudis (and their US backers) should be held to a higher standard than a militia without international recognition in the middle of a civil war, but let's just not get carried away talking about the plucky heroic Houthi soldiers who do no wrong taking on the evil Saudis who field child soldiers.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I've been vocally opposed to the Saudi intervention for years, and do think the Saudis (and their US backers) should be held to a higher standard than a militia without international recognition in the middle of a civil war, but let's just not get carried away talking about the plucky heroic Houthi soldiers who do no wrong taking on the evil Saudis who field child soldiers.

When the Houthis start packing kids and elders in civilian clothing like sardines into Western export MRAPs and Bradley's with blinkered uniformed officers observing, to trundle along roads reinforcing positions that'd already fallen, I will criticize them in similar terms. If that happens, then quote me if you feel the need to, but you won't because I'll say it freely. If that happens.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Charlz Guybon posted:

When a poor, weak country gets invaded by a powerful, wealthy country that is intentionally racking up civilian casualties, outside observers tend to give the weak country a pass.

Saudi Arabia is powerful ? I though they were utterly inept and lose every fight they get into.

It's almost like propaganda tries to push two contradictory narratives, the enemy is both inferior and useless while also being an incredibly powerful threat against which all methods are allowed.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Do they? Did the hardcore Islamist factions amongst the Syrian rebels get a pass from yourself or outside observers after Syria was invaded by Iran and Russia?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

CeeJee posted:

Saudi Arabia is powerful ? I though they were utterly inept and lose every fight they get into.

It's almost like propaganda tries to push two contradictory narratives, the enemy is both inferior and useless while also being an incredibly powerful threat against which all methods are allowed.

They’re powerful in the sense that they’re armed and funded by the wealthiest, most militarily powerful nation in the history of our species 🤷‍♂️

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Thump! posted:

They’re powerful in the sense that they’re armed and funded by the wealthiest, most militarily powerful nation in the history of our species 🤷‍♂️

Pretty sure KSA isn't funded by the US. Nor is what's left of the loyalist Yemenese government KSA is trying to prop up. They buy weapons from the US and Western Europe, but that doesn't really mean they are equally powerful.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 30, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

CeeJee posted:

I've seen a lot of stupid propaganda narratives regarding this conflict. This is not one of them though. The Saudi military is clearly inept are struggling even to defend their own territory. However it is also a military capable of projecting power deep into Yemen, that has established air and navy supremacy, that has the Houthi under siege and which more or less controls half of Yemen. Used wisely the military and financial resources of Saudi Arabia should have been able to at least force the Houthi to negotiate. Instead, they look primed to lose outright.

The stupid propaganda narrative I've seen people pushing regarding this war though is that Najranis are actually secretly Yemeni nationalists and that the Houthi raids into southern Saudi Arabia are justified as acts of national liberation. Not sure how they pretzaled themselves into thinking that made sense.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Warbadger posted:

Pretty sure KSA isn't funded by the US. Nor is what's left of the loyalist Yemenese government KSA is trying to prop up. They buy weapons from the US and Western Europe, but that doesn't really mean they are equally powerful.

yeah no there was this whole Thing a while back where Obama told the Saudis "we'll refuel your bombers for you in Yemen as an apology for cutting a deal with Iran"

look at that wonderful video of what your tax dollars are buying you and put on your patriotic anthem of choice. we sure do know how to pick a winner.

(the saudi army is amazingly good at what it's designed to do, the catch is what it's designed to do is prevent any ambitious officers from couping the monarchy. their air force is alright, and is fully loaded with the latest toys. the people in charge of actually walking around on the ground their betters have recently filled with craters, well, some of them may have been taught how to reload their guns.)

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Squalid posted:

I've seen a lot of stupid propaganda narratives regarding this conflict. This is not one of them though. The Saudi military is clearly inept are struggling even to defend their own territory. However it is also a military capable of projecting power deep into Yemen, that has established air and navy supremacy, that has the Houthi under siege and which more or less controls half of Yemen. Used wisely the military and financial resources of Saudi Arabia should have been able to at least force the Houthi to negotiate. Instead, they look primed to lose outright.

The stupid propaganda narrative I've seen people pushing regarding this war though is that Najranis are actually secretly Yemeni nationalists and that the Houthi raids into southern Saudi Arabia are justified as acts of national liberation. Not sure how they pretzaled themselves into thinking that made sense.

They project power with US help in many, many ways. They are being given help to project that power as they are unable to do so themselves. If the US wanted the war to end they could stop providing C4ISR and refuelling and let nature take its course.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CeeJee posted:

Oh great, now you're saying people who don't like the Saudi war in Yemen are fascists.

Plucky little Saudi Arabia, how could anyone dare to claim they have a powerful military?

I mean, it's not like they're actually trying to be militarily powerful, right?

There's certainly been no massive build-up of military strength in the poor, maligned little kingdom.

(compare the dates)

:umberto: is the only possible explanation for why people say the KSA military is both powerful and inept. Obviously.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
if those charts continued past 2016/2017 you'd see that their expenditures continue to rise sharply

KSA spends a greater percent of it's gdp on it's military than any other country on the planet, especially of countries with a substantial economy. As in the same percent as germany in 1936

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Watching those videos of the Houthis ambushing the Saudi convoy - what a clusterfuck. No fightback, no defense, no air support. I'd be surprised if the Houthis took a single casualty. With morale as low as it looks from the videos it seems like the Saudis are offering no meaningful resistance to incursions into their own territory, which is astounding.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Herstory-- that's crazy. Is Yemen meant as a test run of KSA as regional military power, maybe?
They may have to reconsider things after their latest adventures.

Cat Mattress posted:

[useful info]

Also thanks for the stats.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
No one really knows because KSA's administration is almost totally opaque. There's been a lot of internal media definitely intending towards an eventual confrontation with Iran (and iirc one of the last times anyone spent such a large percentage of gdp on arms... was Iraq just before the Iran Iraq war). But yeah it seemed like it was partly a test run to get critically needed military experience. Plus in theory it would serve the purpose of also pushing back Iranian regional interests, and additionally, the border there has been porous for a long time.

No one expected them to be especially efficient or effective, but no one expected them to drop the ball this badly.

Some of their military spending is definitely intended as a handout to the US to keep some good will, but given what is known publicly, the number one reason is ultimately as a step towards their regional ambitions.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flayer posted:

Watching those videos of the Houthis ambushing the Saudi convoy - what a clusterfuck. No fightback, no defense, no air support. I'd be surprised if the Houthis took a single casualty. With morale as low as it looks from the videos it seems like the Saudis are offering no meaningful resistance to incursions into their own territory, which is astounding.

They’re basically sending a bunch of conscripts and child soldiers to get hosed, what a loving vile disaster.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
The real money is not going to these guys who got captured.

The orb deal was planned to break down something like this.

quote:

Among those listed as potential sales are:

$13.5 billion for seven THAAD batteries, with an estimated delivery time of 2023-2026.
$4.46 billion for 104,000 air-to-ground munitions, divided amongst five types (GBU 31v3, GBU-10, GBU-12, GBU-31v1, GBU-38).
$6.65 billion for enhancements to Saudis’ Patriot anti-missile system, with a scope of work from 2018-2027.
$2 billion for "light close air support" aircraft, with the aircraft and delivery date still unknown. It is possible that the winner of this contract could be related to the U.S. Air Force’s OA-X close-air support study.
$2 billion for four new aircraft, of a to-be-determined variety, for "TASS & Strategic ISC." TASS stands for "tactical airborne surveillance system," similar in concept to the U.S. Air Force JSTARS system. It's possible the replacement could be the same as the JSTARS replacement currently being considered by the Pentagon. Those would be delivered in 2024.
$5.8 billion for three KC-130J and 20 C-130J new aircraft, along with sustainment through 2026. Those planes would start delivery in 2022.
$6.25 billion for an eight-year sustainment deal for Saudi Arabia's fleet of F-15 fighters, with another $20 million for an F-15 C/D recapitalization program study.
$2 billion for an unknown number of MK-VI Patrol Boats, with an unknown delivery date.
$6 billion for four Lockheed Martin-built frigates, based on the company’s littoral combat ship design. That order falls under the Saudi Naval Expansion Program II (SNEP II) heading, with planned delivery in the 2025-2028 timeframe.
$2.35 billion to modify 400 existing Bradley fighting vehicles, along with another $1.35 billion for 213 new vehicles.
$1.5 billion for 180 Howitzers, with an estimated delivery time of 2019-2022.
$18 billion for C4I System and integration, with no further details given on what that means, nor with a delivery date offered.

And that is not including the missile deals they have with the Chinese that are bound to be quite expensive.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Throatwarbler posted:

https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1178300001480511491

Looks bad guys

Also are those Type-81 rifles? EDIT: Nah just regular AKs

I am sorry, how the gently caress does House Saud suck so bad with a military? i get its a mix of "millitary is place to stash failsons" and "no real officer corp to keep from coup" but jesus christ. these guys are fighting like the loving soviets in afganistan but somehow worse. all they know how to do is terrorize and than once the failson officer gets killed, die in their tanks/apcs.

Coldwar timewarp posted:

They project power with US help in many, many ways. They are being given help to project that power as they are unable to do so themselves. If the US wanted the war to end they could stop providing C4ISR and refuelling and let nature take its course.

i mean they seem like a loving terrible ally even from the realpolitik angle.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Guardian says 500 dead, 2000 captured. No confirmation, but juat as importantly no denial from Saudi Arabia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/29/houthis-claim-killed-hundreds-saudi-soldiers-captured-thousands

jesus christ. what a loving shitshow.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Saladin Rising posted:

The thing I find most striking about this video is how many of the attacks are launched from the same heading (target bearing between 330o and 350o). I don't mean to sound like I'm tin-hatting because it's probably the most common approach vector but poo poo is uncanny....

edit: I thought it may have been because they're using sun-glare as cover, but now I'm not sure

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 30, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am sorry, how the gently caress does House Saud suck so bad with a military? i get its a mix of "millitary is place to stash failsons" and "no real officer corp to keep from coup" but jesus christ. these guys are fighting like the loving soviets in afganistan but somehow worse. all they know how to do is terrorize and than once the failson officer gets killed, die in their tanks/apcs.

Nah, way more similar to the Soviet army in the Winter War

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Charlz Guybon posted:

that too.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, worse really. Because the Soviets eventually managed to squeak out a face saving victory of sorts from that one when Stalin sacked Voroshilov and replaced him with someone who atleast knew how to leverage the advantages the Soviets did possess, that mostly being numerical superiority (which didn't count for that much in the conditions present and with Soviet command and control in a state of disarray) and artillery (which did count for much and properly applied did break Finnish resistance).

The similarity is kind of interesting though, in that the successes of their opponent (Finland and the Houthis) is more due to the epic incompetence and disarray of the Soviets/Saudis than anything extraordinary about the former* (though in both cases you're dealing with forces that were fighting on their home turf, which had some experience in unconventional warfare and fought in terrain/conditions which heavily favored the defender).

*I often get the impressions that many believe that the Finnish forces were these expertly trained elite infantry, and that's not really true, many of their soldiers were hastily called up reservists and teenage draftees and they were severly lacking in heavier equipment and though they had some good weapons they didn't really have that much in the way of equipment. The explanation for their performance lies in the facotrs briefly summarized above, and it almost cannot be overstated just how awful a state the Soviet military was in, particularly as regards their officer corps. Then there were also specific problems with how the guys in charge of this specific campaign did things, such as attacking in winter, but making next to no preparations for this in terms of equipment, tactics or strategy. There's a good reason why the Soviets started doing better, even with their shitshow of an army at the time, when they removed the guys who had been responsible for the first period of utter disaster.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 30, 2019

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah no there was this whole Thing a while back where Obama told the Saudis "we'll refuel your bombers for you in Yemen as an apology for cutting a deal with Iran"

look at that wonderful video of what your tax dollars are buying you and put on your patriotic anthem of choice. we sure do know how to pick a winner.

(the saudi army is amazingly good at what it's designed to do, the catch is what it's designed to do is prevent any ambitious officers from couping the monarchy. their air force is alright, and is fully loaded with the latest toys. the people in charge of actually walking around on the ground their betters have recently filled with craters, well, some of them may have been taught how to reload their guns.)

Yes, I've heard this dumb take before. Providing aerial refueling does not equal funding the KSA or providing direct military support ala Russia/Iran in Syria.

The Kurds in Syria and Iraqi government (ostensibly an Iranian ally) have received and are receiving vast amounts of support both militarily and monetarily if you need to see what that looks like. Neither are especially "powerful" despite that support.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 30, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Warbadger posted:

Yes, I've heard this dumb take before. Providing aerial refueling does not equal funding the KSA or providing direct military support ala Russia/Iran in Syria.

The Kurds in Syria and Iraqi government (ostensibly an Iranian ally) have received and are receiving vast amounts of support both militarily and monetarily if you need to see what that looks like. Neither are especially "powerful" despite that support.

While I agree about the not equaling funding part, I don't really about the military support. The logistical support the US is providing might not be as obvious but it is crucial for the Saudi war in Yemen and without it the Saudis and their coalition probably couldn't continue the war.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Randarkman posted:

While I agree about the not equaling funding part, I don't really about the military support. The logistical support the US is providing might not be as obvious but it is crucial for the Saudi war in Yemen and without it the Saudis and their coalition probably couldn't continue the war.

KSA fighter-bombers can definitely make the round trip to/from Yemen without refueling. Probably not while loitering for as long or while based way up North, or while carrying quite as many bombs that trip, but the war effort definitely does not depend on that logistical support.

Either way the US providing tanker aircraft to the KSA should not mean you give the Houthis a free pass on poo poo like child soldiers or their own attacks against civilians. You don't have to pretend either side are the good guys.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Warbadger posted:

KSA fighter-bombers can definitely make the round trip to/from Yemen without refueling. Probably not while loitering for as long or while based way up North, or while carrying quite as many bombs that trip, but the war effort definitely does not depend on that logistical support.

Either way the US providing tanker aircraft to the KSA should not mean you give the Houthis a free pass on poo poo like child soldiers or their own attacks against civilians. You don't have to pretend either side are the good guys.

Well one side isn’t doing anything horrible, and the other is trying to starve them into submission with the aid and support of our governments. I can say there is a good guy and a bad guy. Before the IS comparison, it doesn’t hold water...at all.

You say it’s just aerial refuelling, but you know that more is being provided for on the C4ISR front. What we don’t know is whatever additional aid is being provided behind the scenes, but tell me with a straight face that what we know about is all they are helping with.

Their planes are being maintained on the ground in Saudi Arabia with the aid of western defence companies, this is a fact.

Additionally, yes, time on station matters. A ton. As you know.

They have a free pass from me until the blockade ends and the worst humanitarian crisis of this century is over. Their own attacks on civilians? Which amount to what compared to Saudi and Emirati attacks on their civilians in addition to a campaign of starvation and collective punishment. With our support.

We don’t need to critique the Houthi’s, we have no power over them at all. What we can do is critique our governments and their proxies, and try to stop it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Warbadger posted:

KSA would not be able to maintain any kind of naval blockade on Yemen alone. Without the US Navy providing support Iran would have been able to freely smuggle any number of weapons to the Houthis and this war would have been over years ago, with every KSA naval vessel at the bottom of the sea thanks to Iranian anti-ship missiles.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
In penal law, an accomplice (say, the getaway driver) gets the same punishment as whoever perpetrates a crime, even if not present at the time. The getaway driver gets trialed for murder if the robber shoots a hostage.

Penal law doesn't apply here, but I think it makes sense that, over the years, all legal systems have accepted that principle.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Warbadger posted:

Population Of Nation Being Genocided Were "No Angels," reports local man

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Flayer posted:

KSA would not be able to maintain any kind of naval blockade on Yemen alone. Without the US Navy providing support Iran would have been able to freely smuggle any number of weapons to the Houthis and this war would have been over years ago, with every KSA naval vessel at the bottom of the sea thanks to Iranian anti-ship missiles.

The war would be over, except for the insurgency as 90% of the country is Sunni.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Population Of Nation Being Genocided Were "No Angels," reports local man

This is where a simplistic desire to see black hats and white hats really dumbs down arguments. The Saudis are bad guys for what they've done to Yemen, and they should stop, but that doesn't mean the Houthis are good guys, or that they're the embodiment of the will of the Yemeni people.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sinteres posted:

This is where a simplistic desire to see black hats and white hats really dumbs down arguments. The Saudis are bad guys for what they've done to Yemen, and they should stop, but that doesn't mean the Houthis are good guys, or that they're the embodiment of the will of the Yemeni people.

iunno i'm pretty comfortable proclaiming the side committing genocide in the name of waving their dicks around to be the officially sanctioned Bad Guys

ymmv, and all

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Sinteres posted:

As far as I'm aware the Houthis have shown no desire to invade the Sunni parts of Yemen apart from having access to a port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Where in this world of oligarchs and exploitative nation states IS the will of the people being embodied, exactly? Who is actually a good guy they're being compared to? Rojava? What counts?