Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A GOLD Coast dad has pulled his 10-year-old son out of school in protest after students were encouraged to ‘dress like hippies and sing climate change songs’.

Matt Karlos, a professional pilot, withdrew his son Max from Bilambil Public School ‘near Tweed Heads last week over concerns the youngster was being brainwashed by ‘greenie’ teachers.

“Max has come home a few times over the last couple of months a bit concerned about some of the green ideologies being pushed on him,” he said.

“The last straw was early last week when they held a Green Day and wanted the kids to dress up like hippies and sing climate change and environmental songs like (Joni Mitchell’s) Big Yellow Taxi.

“Max didn’t want a bar of that so we’re looking around for another school.”

Max said: “Why would I want to dress like a hippy? Hippies just sit around all day doing nothing.”

Mr Karlos, who has had a long-running battle with environmentalists and the Greens-dominated Tweed Shire Council over water mining on his family property, said schools should not be pushing ‘green political agendas’.

“Kids like (Swedish teenage climate activist) Greta Thunberg are being used as pawns,” he said.

“I called the Bilambil school principal and told him if they want to teach kids about environmental awareness, teach them something practical such as good agricultural practices and land management in farming.

“Get the kids to dress up as farmers, not hippies.”

A NSW Education spokesman said Year 3 and 4 students were studying ‘the theme of change’ through topics including ‘the survival of living things, animal and plant-farming processes and ‘different views of how to manage places and environments’.

“Students choices for study included climate change, the changes brought by plastic pollution and possible remedies …” he said.

“No political content has been taught.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I still love how they push Farmers versus Environmentalists as if the two must be mutually exclusive.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
loving lol thats the oval office that was selling bore water to industry on an ag permit and sending massive rigid trucks up kennedy drive at 4am so nobody would report it. He's a piece of fuckin work and you won't find a fuckin farmer willing to go into bat for him. Same poo poo cunts are doing up at springbrook. gently caress em, give em 5 years in jail.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

greta thunbeug

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Zenithe posted:

Credential dropping your unspecified doctorate to argue against man made climate change is weird.

Here's another gem from the esteemed physics PhD and moral educator

quote:

I am on a mission, like Brian Carthew (Letters, 25/6), to encourage people to use the word “toilet” for a toilet, instead of employing the “bathroom” Americanism. For some reason, Americans treat the word toilet as if it were some dirty word. I heard an American on radio recently refer to her dog “going to the bathroom up a tree”.

Australians also seem to have adopted the euphemistic practice in great numbers: one of my daughter’s friends at our house recently asked me where the “bathroom” was. I told her it was on the right — but if she wanted the toilet, it was on the left. Not all toilets are located in the same room as the bath!

When in Miami last year I was curious to know what, if a bathroom is actually the toilet, the American name was for toilet paper, so I unwrapped a new roll and looked at the wrapper. It was labelled “bath tissue”. How confusing! Is that paper actually used to wipe the bath out with?

I am a teacher on a mission to eradicate misnomers so, when students in my class ask if they can go to the “bathroom” I always tell them no — because they would not have time to have a bath. They now know that they cannot leave until they use the proper word, “toilet”.

I may be fighting a losing battle, but kids of today must be educated into using proper, succinct words.

Roy Skinner, Scarborough

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
it's pretty funny though, I can't wait until I can comment on a wide range of issues as Dr Recoome, even though my PhD is in a specific thing

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Intoluene posted:

I still love how they push Farmers versus Environmentalists as if the two must be mutually exclusive.

:bahgawd: "Generations of farmers have done it this way (and starved to death) so get out of here greenies with your hippy bullshit!" :bahgawd:

To be fair, if my kid's school was doing something I disagree with, e.g. a "celebrate Amethyst's posting" day, I'd do the same thing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Father of brainwashed child complains teachers are trying to brainwash his child

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Amethyst posted:

There’s no point in engaging with this level of cloistered stupidity on a rational level.
Auditioning your next angry red title?

Apparently the Australian women and children left at the mercy of the Kurds in refugee camps are an "unsolvable problem". Well not if you wish to use them as out and out propaganda puppets they aren't. I hesitate to suggest something Machiavellian to the current establishment but returning them to Australia as quietly as possible and setting them (Closely supervised) to work on the cause of deradicalisation would be the smart money. Unfortunately it seems all the smart money has left the upper echelons of the intelligence community.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Matt Karlos sounds like a law-breaking fuckwit based on other articles

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Anidav posted:

Matt Karlos, a professional pilot, withdrew his son Max from Bilambil Public School ‘near Tweed Heads last week over concerns the youngster was being brainwashed by ‘greenie’ teachers.

For some reason, nearly every pilot I've ever met has had fuckheaded opinions about something.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
It's pretty hosed how many farmers think climate change isn't real yet in the same breath complain about some of the worst droughts on record. The same people that will talk about passing the farm down to the next generation etc

Purk
Aug 9, 2017

abigserve posted:

It's pretty hosed how many farmers think climate change isn't real yet in the same breath complain about some of the worst droughts on record. The same people that will talk about passing the farm down to the next generation etc

If they admit it's real they might have to do something about it or face facts that they can't farm how they have in the past.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Any suggestion that they may have to alter their practices is "city bullshit" to be fought against tooth and nail

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Would love to read the Tele opinion piece on how every little thing capitalism does improves the planet. I'm sure it wouldn't make my head explode.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

The past year has been filled with articles about Aussie farmers talking about how they're the "first line" against climate change though?? And that only they know how bad the (climate change-induced) drought is out there.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The idea farmers are anti climate change on a macro level is 100% bullshit conjured up by heavy industry and it’s amazing people swallow it, including plenty of vocal fuckwits who move out here mostly to raise horses

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

abigserve posted:

It's pretty hosed how many farmers think climate change isn't real

Ummm.... yeah nah. Most farmers are actually quite well aware poo poo's going south and in a hurry.

Whether they actually vote for their own interests is a different story

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There are lots of switched on well educated farmers that 100% get it. Like without a doubt there are many that are stubborn or whatever but a lot of them get into agri science because it benefits them and they are well aware of how they can change their business. I'd say the terrible ones are the cotton farmers and those farming the wrong poo poo by legacy who just don't want to spend the money or lose a gov supported cash cow.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
It's probably good to keep in mind that for a lot of you your perception of 'farmers' views on things is probably somewhat coloured by what 'farmers' actually get press time; conservative sooks with the same bugbears as the conservative media. Yeah there's a fair few of those but that's not all of them, your just unlikely to see any of the rest on TV outside of an episode of Landline.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

How much of Australia's farmland is now corporation owned anyway? Would it be fair to say the majority of farmers are working for Woolworths or what have you?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Other posted:

It's probably good to keep in mind that for a lot of you your perception of 'farmers' views on things is probably somewhat coloured by what 'farmers' actually get press time; conservative sooks with the same bugbears as the conservative media. Yeah there's a fair few of those but that's not all of them, your just unlikely to see any of the rest on TV outside of an episode of Landline.

Farmers federations are heavily stacked with Nationals aspirants and poo poo like that. They get a lot of the airtime via being heavily stacked with nats and country libs who can connect with media more easily.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How much of Australia's farmland is now corporation owned anyway? Would it be fair to say the majority of farmers are working for Woolworths or what have you?

Wesfarmers and Woolworths like the food supply chain to be susceptible to bullying, so they're not vertically integrated in most cases. Huge corps own many farms, but a lot of them are still disparate medium sized businesses. Most of the fresh food production in Victoria comes from medium sized "family" businesses across the east and the supermarkets only really kick in after bagging and final product. Same goes for meat outside of Woolies having a new meat packing shed in Tarneit.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 30, 2019

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

Wesfarmers and Woolworths like the food supply chain to be susceptible to bullying, so they're not vertically integrated in most cases. Huge corps own many farms, but a lot of them are still disparate medium sized businesses. Most of the fresh food production in Victoria comes from medium sized "family" businesses across the east and the supermarkets only really kick in after bagging and final product. Same goes for meat outside of Woolies having a new meat packing shed in Tarneit.

Wesfarmers spun off coles about a year ago, just saying.

Coles have a massive meat plant somewhere in nsw so they can tick boxes on humane slaughtering, hormone free and paddock to plate narrative etc. It also allows expensive discounting and loss leads that no supplier would bear. Hint: supermarkets don't put their hands in their own pocket for sale prices. Meat has also turned into a big export game to China and everyone is ramping up.

The supers pretty much run the same line with independent growers with near exclusive deals. And yes, they are portrayed as "family" businesses.

Don't agree that it's all care and no responsibility though. It's not unusual for retailers to spring for interest free loans to allow farmers to invest in plant. If you look at Aldi they go to crazy lengths to assess the efficiency and effectiveness of their supply chain. E.g. if they find something like poo poo packaging affecting produce they will invest in the supplier to improve it and then let them use the IP as long as it isn't for competitors. The producer also wins as they get a better return for doing very little.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The idea farmers are anti climate change on a macro level is 100% bullshit conjured up by heavy industry and it’s amazing people swallow it, including plenty of vocal fuckwits who move out here mostly to raise horses

Yeah it's rough for those guys who've been I'm it for literally generations understand the impact it has on themselves, their family and community.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah it's rough for those guys who've been I'm it for literally generations understand the impact it has on themselves, their family and community.

It would kind of suck after 5 generations or something to be the one on the land when the climate goes to poo poo

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
When I went to a climate change rally in Tamworth in 2016 it started off with a bunch of farmers giving pretty good speeches about the impact climate change will have on farming (I actually learnt a lot from it because I know gently caress all about farming )and the then nsw young farmer of the year gave a speech about it as well and she’s still out there trying to educate people about the impact it will have on the next generation

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://au.linkedin.com/in/dr-roy-skinner-a3b8ab35

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
A PhD in physics from the early sixties. Hmm.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

you need better hobbies

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Graic Gabtar posted:

you need better hobbies

This but to anyone posting here.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Graic Gabtar posted:

you need better hobbies

Someone else sent it to me. Do you actually think I search for anything myself lmao

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

Someone else sent it to me. Do you actually think I search for anything myself lmao

i’m not going to pull that thread

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Speaking of farmers, if you want where the worst ones are its gotta be queensland, many of them just think farming is cutting down all the trees and wonder why the dirt is so dry

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

Checks out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's going to happen to these ISIS wives? I can't determine why they went in the first place outside of a charming maths teacher said it would be cool.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Prine Andrew's in town for some entrepeuner disruptor nonsense thing he runs

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10026216/prince-andrew-jeffrey-epstein-paris-home/amp/

Very generous caption

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 30, 2019

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

What's going to happen to these ISIS wives? I can't determine why they went in the first place outside of a charming maths teacher said it would be cool.

i need a couple of wives, i'll have 'em

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

"The Failing New York Times posted:

The White House restricted access to the call’s transcript to a small group of the president’s aides, one of the officials said, an unusual decision that is similar to the handling of a July call with the Ukrainian president that is at the heart of House Democrats’ impeachment inquiry into Mr. Trump. Like that call, the discussion with Prime Minister Scott Morrison of Australia shows the extent to which Mr. Trump sees the attorney general as a critical partner in his goal to show that the Mueller investigation had corrupt and partisan origins, and the extent that Mr. Trump sees the Justice Department inquiry as a potential way to gain leverage over America’s closest allies.

And like the call with the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelensky, the discussion with Mr. Morrison shows the president using high-level diplomacy to advance his personal political interests.

President Trump initiated the discussion in recent weeks with Mr. Morrison explicitly for the purpose of requesting Australia’s help in the Justice Department review of the Russia investigation, according to the two people with knowledge of the discussion. Mr. Barr requested that Mr. Trump speak to Mr. Morrison, one of the people said.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

JBP posted:

Hopefully the fash are let back in the country then promptly locked up. Shouldn't be dumping our trash in other countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Congratulations on getting roped into the American impeachment clusterfuck Australia!
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1178782277016473601?s=19