Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Hes accusing people who are investigating him of treason.

This seems really bad. Will people pay attention to it, or will it be a "put it on the pile" kind of thing? The civil war talk is starting to get some play.

Also a week into it and hes accusing people of treason and threatening civil war. What happens when things get *really* bad? Like "the Senate doesn't have the votes to protect you" bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Silly Burrito posted:

These are starting to get really repetitive. I wonder if someone has just created a macro for him that lets him push a button or two and it creates a tweet from his greatest hits.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM THE TWEET BUTTON ON MY PHONE. ITS "PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!!!" AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTERS ON THE GORILLA CHANNEL

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I hope that when the whistleblower is giving testimony the committees let them use a pseudonym.

Something like one of the names Bart prank calls Moe with. Can't wait for a Trump tweet ranting about how "Mya Butte is a mess!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1178651638313226240

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1178643854737772545

nbd, just the POTUS asking for the arrest of a political opponent. Is he trying to cosplay Putin?

What is this actually referring to? I've seen this type of tweet a couple of times and I don't know what he talking about.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Meatball posted:

Hes accusing people who are investigating him of treason.

This seems really bad. Will people pay attention to it, or will it be a "put it on the pile" kind of thing? The civil war talk is starting to get some play.

The people who should act will throw it on the pile, and the people that will act will take it seriously.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I hope that when the whistleblower is giving testimony the committees let them use a pseudonym.

Something like one of the names Bart prank calls Moe with. Can't wait for a Trump tweet ranting about how "Mya Butte is a mess!"

The lawfirm representing the whistle blower is known for national security type legal defense so I am sure they aren't going to get them killed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Normally I might point out that the "civil war" tweet isn't even talking about literal civil war, but "a Civil War like fracture", and that conflating that with talk of actual violence to come is irresponsible and going to be seized on by chuds as an example of leftist fearmongering and blame us for ratcheting up the calls to violence --

– Except apparently they've already taken it as a call to arms in their own right. Keen

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

He is going to stroke out any minute now

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Slowpoke! posted:

Twitter needs to de-platform Trump and Rudy. We are really crossing the line here. Trump is threatening the whistleblower, claiming his investigators are committing treason, calling for a Civil War if he is impeached, and he has been using Twitter to manipulate the stock market for years now. You could just throw a dart at this point, because the entire wall is covered in CRIMES CRIMES CRIMES

The shitshow it would set off if they did, wouldn't be worth it. Trump's twitter is his greatest weakness and serves as a constant reminder to anyone who is not a cultist that he is a lunatic.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

PotatoManJack posted:

What is this actually referring to? I've seen this type of tweet a couple of times and I don't know what he talking about.

WHO CHANGED THE LONG STANDING WHISTLEBLOWER RULES JUST BEFORE SUBMITTAL OF THE FAKE WHISTLEBLOWER REPORT? DRAIN THE SWAMP!

I guess this?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PotatoManJack posted:

Schiff's paraphrase of the report that Trump submitted. I haven't seen a verbatim transcript of Schiff's statement either, has there been one floating around?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

president yelling about treason is some really crossing the rubicon kind of poo poo

I know you Americans are not that good on European geography, but there really is only one Rubicon in Italy. Not 900 or however many Trump apparently already crossed at this point.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

pacerhimself posted:

I'm not an expert on the matter but if there wasn't an investigation it might not be illegal (which would be a hilarious oversight). Certainly damning though.

I would think it would break the law related to whistleblowers and their protections though. But I'm not a lawyer so maybe it's actually so poorly written that this wouldn't violate it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1178650939374424067?s=20

NO (ZERO)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

remember when some Very Serious People argued impeachment would be good for trump.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BabyFur Denny posted:

I know you Americans are not that good on European geography, but there really is only one Rubicon in Italy. Not 900 or however many Trump apparently already crossed at this point.

You could criss-cross it back and forth, sporadically attacking your own army in confusion. Pretty good Trump analogy really

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

PotatoManJack posted:

Schiff’s opening statement during the DNI’s testimony.

Schiff characterized Trump’s phone call as being a mob shakedown instead of reading it word for word. It is literally no big deal. It is not against the rules to do this and Republicans did just as much when it was their turn to speak.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Extreme "who ate my sandwhich in the office fridge" energy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Groovelord Neato posted:

remember when some Very Serious People argued impeachment would be good for trump.

It's actually good...for Jeb!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The man I'm extorting said he wasn't being extorted case closed!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

PotatoManJack posted:

Any time you ask yourself "What is he talking about?" it's just lies. Like others said he's referring to Schiff's paraphrasing of the call memo but Schiff said he was paraphrasing the memo.

IMO his paraphrasing was a little over the top but the essence of it was correct.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PotatoManJack posted:

During Schiff's opening statement, he kinda of paraphrased the call in a kind of mobster speaking style and in the course of doing that inserted a few phrases that aren't present in the actual memo the WH released:

Adam Schiff posted:

We’ve been very good to your country. Very good. No other country has done as much as we have. But you know what? I don’t see much reciprocity here. I hear what you want. I have a favor I want from you, though. And I’m going to say this only seven times, so you better listen good. I want you to make up dirt on my political opponent. Understand? Lots of it on this and on that. I’m going to put you in touch with people, and not just any people. I’m going to put you in touch with the attorney general of the United States, my attorney general Bill Barr. He’s got the whole weight of the American law enforcement behind him. And I’m going to put you in touch with Rudy. You’re going to love him. Trust me. You know what I’m asking? And so I’m only going to say this a few more times in a few more ways. And by the way, don’t call me again. I’ll call you when you’ve done what I asked.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Slowpoke! posted:

Twitter needs to de-platform Trump and Rudy.

Too risky for Twitter, at least with Trump. Elected officials' Twitter pages were ruled a public forum back in July and at least for now I think the legal cost of defending that decision makes it unpalatable.

That was a Federal Court of Appeals ruling so I guess the whole thing can still be brought to SCOTUS at some point in the future, but with the court makeup I dunno.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
drat it’s gonna be a good week

Edit: Trump literally saved twitter. They would have been sold off and dead by now if it weren’t for the 2016 election and results giving us this twitter driven hellscape. Journalists got a big boon from it as well, but all under the shitshow with trump sitting at the top of the poo poo hill.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

twitter won't even remove his ability to delete tweets despite it being illegal for him to do so.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Extreme "who ate my sandwhich in the office fridge" energy

Nah, it's more "DID YOU CUM IN MY BURRITO" energy.
https://youtu.be/x91S2f6YuGg

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Data Graham posted:

Normally I might point out that the "civil war" tweet isn't even talking about literal civil war, but "a Civil War like fracture", and that conflating that with talk of actual violence to come is irresponsible and going to be seized on by chuds as an example of leftist fearmongering and blame us for ratcheting up the calls to violence --

– Except apparently they've already taken it as a call to arms in their own right. Keen

That phrasing is so they can pretend it's not a call to violence when it obviously is given the history of the right and the fact that they've repeatedly threatened civil war if things don't go their way when it comes to Trump and/or guns.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The NO explainer has logged on.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

As Schiff did that I knew it would immediately be turned against him. The report and summary of the call that the WH released was damning enough he should have just quoted those directly. He should know better than to give an easy line of attack like that, no matter how stupid it is.

Edit: I agree it was a bit over the top but didn’t mischaracterize anything. In a functioning congress it wouldn’t be something anyone had to even think about.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1178651959051669504?s=21

Meanwhile #CivilWarSignup is trending and it’s full of people planning the Civil War like it is a Thanksgiving potluck. Trump’s team is not in control of the narrative.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Asnorban posted:

As Schiff did that I knew it would immediately be turned against him. The report and summary of the call that the WH released was damning enough he should have just quoted those directly. He should know better than to give an easy line of attack like that, no matter how stupid it is.

they would've invented something else to latch on to.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i was looking for an explainer about their insane whistleblower rule change conspiracy (planted by The Federalist) and found a good one

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1178646747272417281

quote:

A question on the form explicitly anticipates tips based on secondhand information, and asks the whistleblower to check a box: “I have direct and personal knowledge,” or, “I heard about it from others.” The Federalist used a screenshot of that field to illustrate its story.

What the article didn’t mention or screenshot is a nearly identical field gracing Form 401 since at least May 2018, making it impossible that it was added as an easement for Trump’s whistleblower. The major difference in the fields is that the old form includes three options instead of two, subdividing secondhand sources into outside source and “other employees.”

it's complete bullshit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The South had the right idea with secession, just kind of like in reverse.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Asnorban posted:

Edit: I agree it was a bit over the top but didn’t mischaracterize anything. In a functioning congress it wouldn’t be something anyone had to even think about.

Groovelord Neato posted:

they would've invented something else to latch on to.

Yeah, given how good Schiff was for the rest of the hearing I have to think that was intentional because the obvious response is "Well go read the memo yourself, it obviously says basically the same thing with different phrasing." It's pretty easy to tie those core points to specific lines from the call memo that the WH released.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

eke out posted:

i was looking for an explainer about their insane whistleblower rule change conspiracy (planted by The Federalist) and found a good one

it's complete bullshit

Yes, it was from The Federalist, that should've been obvious from the start.

e: But thanks for linking an article that at least explains how it's bullshit, not that anyone that reads The Federalist would ever read that or listen to anyone who doesn't agree with them.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

eke out posted:

it's complete bullshit

Who would've guessed that the co-founder of The Federalist would just make poo poo up?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

Yes, it was from The Federalist, that should've been obvious from the start.

e: But thanks for linking an article that at least explains how it's bullshit, not that anyone that reads The Federalist would ever read that or listen to anyone who doesn't agree with them.

yeah i mean, it's just whatever oligarch that funds the federalist getting a good return on his dollars

but i was linking more for when people's family members mention this dumb bullshit (which is why i was looking for it), it's a convenient piece

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mahoning posted:

During Schiff's opening statement, he kinda of paraphrased the call in a kind of mobster speaking style and in the course of doing that inserted a few phrases that aren't present in the actual memo the WH released:

Yeah personally I don't see the value of that paraphrase. It accomplished nothing and it's like half the talking Rs have been doing is about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah personally I don't see the value of that paraphrase. It accomplished nothing and it's like half the talking Rs have been doing is about it.

Try not to do the standard thing of picking apart the actions of someone on the left with tweezers. They'd have made something else up (they did, it was that Federalist article right there, and after that, it's on to the, "That's just like, an opinion, man," Lindsey Graham poo poo.)