Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

infernal machines posted:

tbf, telling someone to go suck off a luger will get you banned here too

but i can pay 10 bux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

anyway my point is cbc mods are nazis. nazi is a banned word on the cbc comment section, btw, you cant call someone a nazi. You can say that admitting refugees is a globalist plot to destroy the west, but you cant say the word "nazi". Defund those punks.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I got banned for saying boomers are entitled. Like, by using those words.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
CBC caters to boomers and rich white Liberals. The only downside to defunding the CBC would be an end to local reporting now that most towns don't have a local paper and rely on the Sun or whatever. CBC is probably the only place I can think of that does up to date local reports that aren't 30 second videos or 100 word paragraphs. On the downside there's a lot of NIMBY bullshit posted on slow days.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want to jinx Trudeau.

"It's not like there's a video of Justin Trudeau in yellowface out there..."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Turns out he went as Mickey Rooney circa Breakfast at Tiffany's one year

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Smiling Demon posted:

Wasn't that because Thatcher, for all her many failings, had a chemistry background and couldn't deny the ozone problem?

It's more that Conservatives were willing to be rational about serious climate issues before the oil lobby showed up beind Bush Sr and killed anything contrary to their interests.

The Ozone came down to a much less profitable set of chemicals.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

It's more that Conservatives were willing to be rational about serious climate issues before the oil lobby showed up beind Bush Sr and killed anything contrary to their interests.

The Ozone came down to a much less profitable set of chemicals.

That is definitely much more believable.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I've heard before that also the thing about the ozone consensus was that there were relatively easy and cheap alternatives to the ozone-destroying chemicals, and they could be produced and sold by the same companies with little cost. So you could get, like, Dow on board because they could invest a pretty minuscule amount of money and no longer be destroying the ozone layer and keep making profits. Whereas addressing climate change threatens the entire business model of some of the world's most powerful corporations, so they have much more incentive to fight change instead of leading a transition.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

"Failing" kind of implies that it was possible that it was out of their control. What's a word for intentionally keeping a system less democratic in order to prevent parties to the left of you from getting any power?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
yeah my one criticism of that meme is that it says they failed instead of that they chose not to

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
They failed to ram through the very specific reform of voting that would have hugely benefited them and then suddenly discovered that electoral reform was too divisive and risky.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Helsing posted:

They failed to ram through the very specific reform of voting that would have hugely benefited them and then suddenly discovered that electoral reform was too divisive and risky.

ELECTORAL REFORM WOULD LEAD TO FAR RIGHT PARTIES IN PARLIAMENT! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE FAR RIGHT PARTIES ALREADY THERE

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also i found this spreadsheet of 75 allegedly winnable ridings for the ndp

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-gjSUdcLsWIHZaIsVPUZfw_ZNcpxWLDp/view?fbclid=IwAR06TT-T4qXCa-H9BOpVbUxFA-hoqWFtABt0ct24qwhfhHdMgPx6TwJWLHk

so if someone harps at you about how they're going to strategic vote liberal to keep out the cons and they live in one of these ridings you can yell at them that actually they're just splitting the vote the wrong way and they should vote ndp regardless

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My riding isn't one where the NDP is competitive, so my streak of never being represented in government goes unbroken. :stoked:

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

vyelkin posted:

also i found this spreadsheet of 75 allegedly winnable ridings for the ndp

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-gjSUdcLsWIHZaIsVPUZfw_ZNcpxWLDp/view?fbclid=IwAR06TT-T4qXCa-H9BOpVbUxFA-hoqWFtABt0ct24qwhfhHdMgPx6TwJWLHk

so if someone harps at you about how they're going to strategic vote liberal to keep out the cons and they live in one of these ridings you can yell at them that actually they're just splitting the vote the wrong way and they should vote ndp regardless

It's funny looking at them listing Ottawa Centre as a winnable riding as 338 Canada has it listed as a 99% probability of Liberals winning.

Would love it to be true though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alizee posted:

It's funny looking at them listing Ottawa Centre as a winnable riding as 338 Canada has it listed as a 99% probability of Liberals winning.

338 is trash, just utter and complete garbage

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Echo Chamber posted:

I want to jinx Trudeau.

"It's not like there's a video of Justin Trudeau in yellowface out there..."

I think Trudeau can Jynx himself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Alizee posted:

i'm not going to bat for the methodology of a google doc assembled by some rando NDP member, but lol @ trusting 338 to tell you anything at all.

if 338 said the sky was blue i'd pack an umbrella

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

338 is trash, just utter and complete garbage

plz don't sign your posts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

338 canada: manitoba and saskatchewan are essentially the same province, right?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

plz don't sign your posts

:hmmyes:

i may be utter and complete garbage but at least I don't make an election projection where I give myself error bars of 4% in either direction and still get the result completely wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can't blame them for not having useful data, but you can sure as hell blame them for not telling people in big bold letters that their models have all the predictive power of chicken gizzards

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i predict the liberals will get between 10 and 200 seats!

*liberals win 220 seats*

ah, well, nevertheless

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we're predicting a conservative majority or liberal minority

~liberals get majority~

94% accuracy!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
is electionprediction.org also bad

they have a pretty good track record

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

priznat posted:

It's Canadian politics, everything is bad

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

priznat posted:

They really don't. 83.9% of seats called correctly in the last Ontario election and just 77% and 76% in the last two federal elections. Those numbers are actually pretty bad - there's a pretty large bulk of ridings that aren't competitive, so something like calling 3/4 correctly means you're doing real bad at predicting competitive ridings.

Which, hey, it's hard: Québec alone had like a dozen ridings where there were less than 10% separating the winner from fourth place last time around, and nobody could realistically be expected to predict what would happen there

but, also, very much, nobody can realistically be expected to predict what will happen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

priznat posted:

they are all bad. if anyone at all is claiming to predict seat counts and individual ridings they are absolutely 100% full of poo poo, without exception.

canada does not have polling data to support those kinds of predictions at that level of granularity. they're all making poo poo up based on past performance and really broad "regional" polls (the region being like half the province sometimes).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

metaphorically haruspicy

quote:

Submissions are collected, processed, and posted on a regular basis (more "regular" during writ period, and understandably as most of us are university students, less during university exam period). The evaluation panel, consists of individuals from various locations, exchanges their analysis on the submissions and concludes with a prediction.

The evaluation process is entirely subjective. Members of the evaluation panel have very different political background and often disagree. Predictions are undoubtedly influenced by panelists' specific insights, experiences, or biases about particular contests. However, we strive to come up with predictions that are most sensible as we see them.

The panel gives consideration for the following:

Integrity of the source - More weight are given to submissions with more information about the author, and particularly those where real names and email address are posted. (Please kindly report any non-functional email addresses posted so that we may correctly evaluated the postings in question.)
Objectivity of the source (1) - Less weight is given to submissions from a particular participant who demonstrated consistent bias. Submissions from individuals that demonstrated clear political motive or blatant bias are generally ignored.
Objectivity of the source (2) - Obviously, special treatment is given to submissions from individual who are politically related, such as political staffers, party organizers, student/union leaders or government employees. This in no way discourages you to submit and identify yourself as such. We always appreciate insider tips.
Quality of the posting (1) - Weight is given to submissions that are backed by intelligent and thoughtful reasons. Detailed reasons provide others viewing the site with evidence to back up your claim.
Quality of the posting (2) - Malicious, inaccurate, slanderous or misleading information are generally ignored, and will seriously reduce the weight given to other submissions from the source in question. Some members of the project have a particular tendency of appending satirical and sometimes demeaning "Editor Notes" to submissions that are just plain ignorant or obviously out of touch with the reality.
General trends - The panelists are all politically minded individuals who pay close attentions to news and issues. We also share polling information and gossips, which may influence the prediction.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh poo poo I can vote for the Animal Protection Party

:thunk:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/Dave56966136/status/1177826487103156224
https://twitter.com/Dave56966136/status/1175660641702440961

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A bad look for Daves everywhere.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the blue man group should definitely be able to receive government services without removing their face paint, it's their charter right

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
first name + string of random numbers, no avatar pic, seems legit

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

"Failing" kind of implies that it was possible that it was out of their control. What's a word for intentionally keeping a system less democratic in order to prevent parties to the left of you from getting any power?

Capitalism

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The urge to see daily polls and polling analysis is just your lizard brain getting hungry for stimulation, it's not actually telling you anything useful and is often crowding out more relevant interests or knowledge.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I've heard this latest gigantic scandal proved that Scheer isn't

Accountable :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I know the CBC is bad but they had an article that listed all the pro Brexit claims Scheer has made and it made me laugh