Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the best teferi answer is a counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yeah they stopped letting red have those.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here’s the after-rotation budget deck post you’ve been looking for, though so far I haven’t gotten past the first deck because all I want to do is play Cauldron Familiar / Witch’s Oven decks in Casual for the next two years

MTGGoldfish 30 Casual Decks for Under $20

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Boco_T posted:

Here’s the after-rotation budget deck post you’ve been looking for, though so far I haven’t gotten past the first deck because all I want to do is play Cauldron Familiar / Witch’s Oven decks in Casual for the next two years

MTGGoldfish 30 Casual Decks for Under $20

Their BR knights deck can pretty easily be incrementally upgraded into the one I'm playing if you're into that, as well. It's a good aggro deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Time posted:

I think there are a ton of good answers to teferi in the format now

Yeah, oko is actually way more resistant since it can get out of range of fry, questing beast and the green dino immediately, all 3 of which kill teferi dead

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oven Familiar is loving obnoxious and is a distressingly no-cost include in black aggro.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah, oko is actually way more resistant since it can get out of range of fry, questing beast and the green dino immediately, all 3 of which kill teferi dead

Someone in the Modern Jund subreddit asked about swapping Questing Beast for Bloodbraid Elf or Huntmaster of the Fells in 4 CMC slot and I was basically like "that's bad and you're bad for thinking that" and now I'm thinking that I may owe that person an apology.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

knockout posted:

Someone in the Modern Jund subreddit asked about swapping Questing Beast for Bloodbraid Elf or Huntmaster of the Fells in 4 CMC slot and I was basically like "that's bad and you're bad for thinking that" and now I'm thinking that I may owe that person an apology.

Having been subjected to Questing Beast in Arena, yes, your assessment was completely incorrect.
I'd replace Bloodbraid I think, Huntermaster is nasty utility.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 30, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

knockout posted:

I love that there is an entire subreddit just for Modern Jund

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Why would there not be? Affinity has one, even as the deck is unplayable now, and Burn has one too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

knockout posted:

It does a lot in the slot for sure. Can't be chumped. Doesn't give a poo poo about protection. Does double duty for planewalkers. All while being aggressive and fits into BGX instead of just jund. Card seems great.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

there's one for almost every modern deck

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hoo boy don't let me tell you about the Atraxa EDH discord.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

knockout posted:

I don't play modern but offhand it doesnt seem like a terrible tool to have, the only thing I'd be leery on is that huntmaster and bloodbraid are two for ones while questing beast doesn't have that

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

I don't play modern but offhand it doesnt seem like a terrible tool to have, the only thing I'd be leery on is that huntmaster and bloodbraid are two for ones while questing beast doesn't have that
I WISH Questing Beast was only a 2-for-1, I just outright lose to it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
My name's Sampatrick and I'm here to say
Bloodbraid Elf is here to stay!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Questing beast is not as good as bloodbraid elf and doesn’t replace it directly. I think it’s a potential sideboard card for Jund though. It seems more like Thrun than BBE or Huntmaster.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

which modern deck would you rather have questing beast against than bloodbraid?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Questing Beast is nothing like Thrun what why is this even a conversation

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah - that was my exact reasoning. And, as other posters have mentioned, it would only ever be eligible for sideboard. But, I have gone from bearish on Questing Beast to a lot less bearish.

Also, does anyone else automatically type "Question" Beast on their first attempt?

Sampatrick posted:

Thrun has been out of the Jund meta for a while. Thrun can only chump to Death's Shadow and Gurmag Angler and it's rarely desirable to regenerate Thrun when you could use the G for Scavenging Ooze. Bloodbraid Elf gives you the opportunity to draw removal for Death's Shadow or Monastery Swiftspear, etc. Admittedly, this is an area where Questing Beast shines over Huntmaster, though (imho, ianal, et al.)

knockout fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 30, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Elyv posted:

which modern deck would you rather have questing beast against than bloodbraid?

Anything weenie aggro, beast is unblockable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

just bringing y'all the hot new deck tech, a little deck known as 'ignite the rats'

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Hoo boy don't let me tell you about the Atraxa EDH discord.

I would love to see something like this for mtg discords
https://twitter.com/thSyniez/status/1169840671185702914

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

just bringing y'all the hot new deck tech, a little deck known as 'ignite the rats'

don't you mean 'ignite the cats'?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

knockout posted:

don't you mean 'ignite the cats'?

why would you think i would ever mean ignite the cats

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

why would you think i would ever mean ignite the cats

because that's a thing in standard rn:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
No card gives cats menace smdh.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

knockout posted:

ignite the rats is just ignite the beacon and 59 copies of rat colony

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

You should see how many discords there are for individual commanders

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

knockout posted:

I wanna cook the cats. I don't know what the other 52 cards will be, but I wanna cook the cats.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

flatluigi posted:

the original cast of murderous rider's adventure needs a target to be valid, and you're doing something with the clover copy to make the original target invalid, causing it to fizzle and not resolve -- which includes the 'go-on-an-adventure exiling' part of resolving.
Ew, lucky clover isn't a may, so you either need two targets for Murderous Rider or it'll always go to the graveyard. That's a bit of a lame nombo :(

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Anything weenie aggro, beast is unblockable.

The only good deck you could even possibly classify as "weenie aggro" is burn with its 12 whole creatures or humans with creatures that grow beyond 2/2 quickly

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Questing Beast is not a Modern card like every other 4 mana creature that doesn't poop value or shut your opponent down somehow

Oko on the other hand is, what an insane card

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sampatrick posted:

It’s like thrun because you have to attack with it for it to be worthwhile, compared to BBE and huntmaster, which do not have to attack. The card is not similar to thrun in any other meaningful way, no.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Train of thought post:

I remembered Magic exists, so went online to find the best looking cards (because why not start there) and found the brand new Throne of Collectible Boosters set that is just coming out. I have pretty excitedly purchased a box of those ultra expensive boosters, I think in Europe the prices are a bit lower but it was still like 1.50 per card. On friday I'm heading down to my local card merchant to pick up a bundle box, and I have a bunch of plastic coming in the mail from amazon so I can double bag everything.

Super excited to start playing again. It's been ages.

Also considering picking up a core 2020 bundle, so that I have all the variety I could want to build fun decks with and play with friends. Then I'd also have enough lands to build mono decks, and enough storage space to put it all away. I'm pretty sure that within the next 30-90 days I'll figure out I have a valuable card and sell it. The collectible aspect is like a side game.

Are people still going nuts about the collectible boosters? From what I've seen they are underpriced. Wizard isn't going to gently caress up by over-printing, since they want everyone to buy these collector boosters in the next set, that one they'll over print.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The monoblack deck is called Unlucky Fried Kitten, end of.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
if theres one thing jund needs to be better at beating, its definitely creature strategies

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think Shifting Ceratops is pretty good, I don't think Jund needs it either.

That's my pushed 2GG creature story.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

People who think standard is bad are all weirdos, the teferi-oko deck is the funnest deck I've played since Drake's and phoenix back when those were good

The only problem with Standard is that it gets old really fast. I enjoy it and rotation when it happens comes with it but it seems like the second it goes live on Arena it's so over saturated by the time we get to the first live event the majority of the decks are out there and tuned (maybe not to perfection but close)

I loved when a set dropped on Friday and there was a GP (lol) or Open that Saturday and the tournament was jank central but it seems to get solved pretty fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

The monoblack deck is called Unlucky Fried Kitten, end of.

rakdos aristocats