Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1178668411183861760
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1178670564879343619
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1178671715624394757?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ThanosWasRight posted:

Trump's impeachment looks inevitable. The crazier he gets and the more he flails the worse the situation gets for him and the less power over the narrative the GOP has.

The civil war comments were a massive misstep and the arrest of treason one as well seem to not be playing well with sitting house members, much less Senators.

I feel the whole thing is starting to crack apart.

Periodically, like every day or so, I keep asking myself whether I can realistically see things going back to the status quo ante after where we are at that point. By which I mean the general state of Trumpland, nothing matters, etc.

Up till now I've always been able to think, yeah, you know, I can see this dying down. I can see ol' Donny Trump wriggling his way out of this one. I can see this all blowing over and being forgotten.

But it's becoming more and more difficult to do that mental exercise, and it really does feel like sometime this week is the tipping point when it will become impossible.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Trump in a coma would get a few serious “This is the most presidential Trumphas ever been” articles.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

He's been sitting on it since July?

Glad he's getting primaried.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

935 posted:

Feels like they're just trolling. I doubt they care one way or the other.

my guess is they don't care because they're putting trump in a bad spot either way: he lights himself on fire again releasing incriminating transcripts, or he looks weak taking orders from russia. either one works for putin.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CHEF!!! posted:

Is this accurate? Would it be a yuge breach of diplomatic protocol if we ignored them and publish them anyway? Or is this them trying to keep investigators from Russia_crimes/*.flac ?

Legally, we can do whatever the hell we want. Practically, in normal times outside of the hellworld timeline, its a really, really bad idea to publish transcripts of conversations with world leaders without their blessing, because future conversations with that and future presidents will be less candid if everyone he talks to wonders if their words will someday be on the front page of the Washington Post.

Russia and Putin might arguably be an odd exception since everyone understands by now that Trump is Putin's puppet and that has led to an internal political crisis, so hopefully everyone else would understand that and know it would be a one-off not likely to be repeated. Again though, it is moot because it won't happen since Putin probably has the goods on Trump. This statement from Russia was a not so subtle threat to Trump personally.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I can imagine Trump wants to publicly endorse and/or bankroll this so badly, and Barr has to have someone remind him not to do it every hour or so.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

bobjr posted:

Trump in a coma would get a few serious “This is the most presidential Trumphas ever been” articles.
*Trump strokes out on the toilet*
WaPo: Very presidential!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

Periodically, like every day or so, I keep asking myself whether I can realistically see things going back to the status quo ante after where we are at that point. By which I mean the general state of Trumpland, nothing matters, etc.

Up till now I've always been able to think, yeah, you know, I can see this dying down. I can see ol' Donny Trump wriggling his way out of this one. I can see this all blowing over and being forgotten.

But it's becoming more and more difficult to do that mental exercise, and it really does feel like sometime this week is the tipping point when it will become impossible.

I mean it's something Trump can't brute force "counter punch" out of. If he hadn't released the transcript, he probably wouldn't be in nearly as much danger as he is in now, it would have given the GOP a lot more cover. But what was in the transcript is really indefensible, and everyone knows it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1178671600222298113?s=21

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ither posted:

the democratic leadership is so bad at politics it's amazing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Where does he get these fake numbers? Even his most sycophantic polls have him in the negatives

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 30, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

evilweasel posted:

my guess is they don't care because they're putting trump in a bad spot either way: he lights himself on fire again releasing incriminating transcripts, or he looks weak taking orders from russia. either one works for putin.
All politics is local politics. It's just more manufactured nonsense for the "poor persecuted Russia" storyline that keeps UR in power.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

funkymonks posted:

They don't need to be published to the public, they need to be made available to Congress. As much as I want to laugh at fat orange baby bootlicking Putin via phone transcriptions I'm not sold that we want to start making these calls public record.

When you put it like that, why not? The further damage to Ametica's institutions and perception abroad? I'm looking at that point as more evidence to show conservatives that their big strong orange daddy is a pathetic subservient twit. But they are experts at ignoring reality and lying...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Trump never "wriggled his way out of" loving anything.

It's just that once you're President of the United States it's almost impossible to really do anything to you. Especially when your party controls the Senate.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TulliusCicero posted:

Where does he these fake numbers? Even his most sycophantic polls have him in the negatives

Rasmussen I think.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ither posted:

It's a little more nuanced than he's been sitting on it: he's been using it as ammunition in his legal fights to get Trump's tax returns and the existence of this complaint has been public for some time. The legal strategy to get Trump's tax returns has been very cautious, to build the case that they're looking to get the returns for legitimate legislative/oversight purposes and not for releasing them publicly to the maximum extent possible. Legally speaking, what they're doing has a lot of merit: it is definitely moving the needle to making it more likely they get the tax returns. The question is, how much. Ultimately this is going to go to the Supreme Court and you need Roberts feeling uncomfortable agreeing Trump can stonewall the release of the returns. The fact the law is unambiguious isn't really important, because the conservatives will vote the way they want to vote regardless. It's all about positioning it so that denying Congress access would be as politically damaging to Roberts as possible.

And there, you've got a serious question of if the original, low-key strategy places as much pressure on Roberts as releasing the whistleblower complaint would. Obviously, their thinking on that issue is now...evolving.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

Where does he these fake numbers? Even his most sycophantic polls have him in the negatives

There was a crap poll from Rasmussen or someone else way back that said 50%, and he's hung onto it ever since.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

the democratic leadership is so bad at politics it's amazing.

look, as we all know, up until the week of September 23 2019 it was impossible to attack trump, and anyone suggesting otherwise was a tiny baby who does not understand the realities of politics

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Rigel posted:

If you put it at Thanksgiving Day in 2020, I'd agree. Crazyass old people whose brainworms have very little brain left to eat can stubbornly hang on, screaming and ranting, for quite a long time.

Let's put it this way. Suppose he becomes incapacitated in a very public setting. Collapses during a rally or in the Rose Garden, that sort of thing. At what point would Pence and the gang be forced to look at him and say "yeah, he's done?"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Trump never "wriggled his way out of" loving anything.

It's just that once you're President of the United States it's almost impossible to really do anything to you. Especially when your party controls the Senate.

underrated post. as bad as everything Trump and his Executive cronies have done is, none of it would be possible without full cover from the rest of the GOP that's been given.

I place more blame on the degradation of democracy in this country at the feet of McConnell than anyone else, by miles. Trump's a criminal being explicitly allowed to get away with his crimes by the people who should be checking them.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

Let's put it this way. Suppose he becomes incapacitated in a very public setting. Collapses during a rally or in the Rose Garden, that sort of thing. At what point would Pence and the gang be forced to look at him and say "yeah, he's done?"

If he wakes up and is able to tweet complete sentences (coherency as always is optional), then they wont take him out.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Where does he get these fake numbers? Even his most sycophantic polls have him in the negatives

Brad Parscale gets paid very handsomely to just make poo poo up for him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Brad Parscale gets paid very handsomely to just make poo poo up for him.

that tweet about the nevada rally was hilarious.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

The bounty in this case is the money they’re offering for dirt? So in this case bounty-gate is when Wohl shows up with a suitcase of Monopoly money and without pants?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
edit: wait, no

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 30, 2019

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ought ten posted:

The bounty in this case is the money they’re offering for dirt? So in this case bounty-gate is when Wohl shows up with a suitcase of Monopoly money and without pants?

The bounty was $50,000 for the identity of the whistleblower.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whatever this scandal ends up being called, please please for the love of GOD can it please not be called ____gate

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Data Graham posted:

Whatever this scandal ends up being called, please please for the love of GOD can it please not be called ____gate

It's either that or Bountyghazi

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

I'm really looking forward to the day when fraud on a massive scale emerges from the gate producing industry so we can reach the logical conclusion and call it Gategate.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

The “looking for corruption” line might play a little better if (a) he hadn’t already released the transcript, and (b) he didn’t immediately pivot to attacking the Bidens.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I meant the Ukraine thing in general.

I know Kievan Ruse isn't going to catch on but a man can dream

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

There already was a Bountygate. Get a different name morans!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm really looking forward to the day when fraud on a massive scale emerges from the gate producing industry so we can reach the logical conclusion and call it Gategate.

Or some sort of scandal involving Bill Gates so it can be GatesGate

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The best part of being on the west coast is being able to shovel insanity into my face from the moment I wake up, because dementiaprez has already been ranting for hours by that point. :allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rabble posted:

The “looking for corruption” line might play a little better if (a) he hadn’t already released the transcript, and (b) he didn’t immediately pivot to attacking the Bidens.

and (c) hadn't openly advocating abolishing the foreign corrupt practices act

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rime posted:

The best part of being on the west coast is being able to shovel insanity into my face from the moment I wake up, because dementiaprez has already been ranting for hours by that point. :allears:

it's bad because I'm now one of those people who immediately reaches for their phone upon waking up to see what new insanity has arisen. you know, as opposed to one of those who waits the 5 minutes until they get up to get the phone.

drat you Donald Trump!!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just put the Trump avatar on dril tweets imo

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Guze posted:

There already was a Bountygate. Get a different name morans!

Is that one when he was throwing paper towels at people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

CHEF!!! posted:

When you put it like that, why not? The further damage to Ametica's institutions and perception abroad? I'm looking at that point as more evidence to show conservatives that their big strong orange daddy is a pathetic subservient twit. But they are experts at ignoring reality and lying...

I'm perfectly happy for the Trump Putin call to come out but I would be concerned it would negatively impact our ability to work with actual allies. But I could definitely be convinced either way.

Trump has killed so many sacred cows so I guess it's just reality that we have permanently hosed our relationship with everyone else in the world.