Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sit on my Jace posted:

On the subject of resting: The campaign I'm starting next week uses the extended rest rules (8 hours for a short rest, a week of downtime for a long rest). It's my first time in a game that does things this way, and I'm curious what people's experiences with this are.

In theory, nothing different from a DM pacing things well. The whole idea is short rests are something you squeeze in at times while you have a breather while long rests are for actual down time.

Having short rests be eight hours and long rests be a week though likely means you're in for a low magic campaign where magic and wizards are extremely rare. If you're going to be dungeon delving, you definitely aren't going to be getting naps in there without coming particularly prepared and even then, you won't be totally refreshing a decent chunk of your party. It's basically just a way to make a setting feel a lot more gritty and focus a lot more on managing resources rather than being able to willy nilly pointy shooty at enemies with magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I really liked the Rise of Tiamat, Out of the Abyss and Dungeon of the Mad Mage modules because they all gave you the particular ingredients for building things up because past the statblocks they all felt like a good script for a session. Avernus really seems like someone went "eh, you're in Hell figure it out. ever seen the key and peele D&D skit? that, but you're in hell. have fun"

And, get this: That's not wrong! That's a hosed up thing to ask 50 for telling a DM who thinks they're buying something other than "write your own endgame, nerd! lol" however.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am having some difficulty understanding what you are saying here. You don't like how open ended chapter 5 is? And this means the authors did not care for some reason?

Also guy talking about making deals with devils to betray the party is not part of the D&D Team, he's just an interviewer.

Adam Lee literally wrote the drat book, and I can save everyone fifty bucks by copy pasting the bits of chapter 5 where the instructions are "basically, homebrew your zariel encounter."

There are no maps, there is no guideline whatsoever for a "deal". Its some suggestions you pay money for.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Willie Tomg posted:

Adam Lee literally wrote the drat book, and I can save everyone fifty bucks by copy pasting the bits of chapter 5 where the instructions are "basically, homebrew your zariel encounter."

There are no maps, there is no guideline whatsoever for a "deal". Its some suggestions you pay money for.
Adam Lee is the Story Lead yes, but the other guy was the one talking about betrayal of the party and such.

Well there is a Guideline for the Zariel encounter. Pg 154 and 155. Before that Chapter 5 provides info on all the stuff the party could do or has done to make the encounter go their way, or ways to solve problem if they decide they don't want to confront Zariel.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Adam Lee is the Story Lead yes, but the other guy was the one talking about betrayal of the party and such.

Well there is a Guideline for the Zariel encounter. Pg 154 and 155. Before that Chapter 5 provides info on all the stuff the party could do or has done to make the encounter go their way, or ways to solve problem if they decide they don't want to confront Zariel.

and adam lee answered in as much of what passes for detail in these books there is literally video of this

Unless the PC's put Lulu to the question or are cheating, every single line of the adventure bends the players toward Zariel to ultimately make a DC25 persuasion, save or suck, -5 for lulu if the DM has for some weird reason kept the sparkle elephant around in the Event Horizon Theme Park, -5 for the death knight if the party went that way or made a try of it. That's it. That's your guideline. That's the guideline you're talking about. The whole module comes down to one roll. If you make it, Zariel beats the module for you and rewrites half of 5e's fluff, if you don't you either make a deal with a devil (no guideline given), hope a Good PC takes your hint that a moment of selflessness would save everyone a lot of grief, or open Mordekainen's Tome of Foes ($50 USD plus tax) and give everyone some bad news. If the party is Evil or has made a deal with a Demon then you've already been homebrewing for like, three sessions already at least and probably more lol

Compare that with Rise of Tiamat, where you infiltrate a mountain fortress a half-mile on a side, with a menu of ways in, full of people who are doing Things for Reasons, sneak into caldera where people are being sacrificed to bring forth Tiamat by antaongists you're aware of who they are and what they want, to break up the ritual happening in the temple within that caldera, and every NPC comes in for a huge party including the titular Tiamat who weirdly balances the whole thing organically even if the DM put too much poo poo on the board because she wants to eat everyone! There's a clear end state, but a lot of shadings on how to get there with the inherent wildness of the approach and climactic combat. Because the scenario was written, and not gesticulated at.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Has anyone ever seen a really solid write up anywhere on the changes between editions of D&D (both major and subtle)? Like comparing what things editions did well vs what they did badly?

I remember during Purple's F&F of 2e people would mention things like how concentration checks to save spells after damage was a huge boost to wizards/nerf to fighters and I'm interested in reading more about the way the mechanics have changed over the years like that.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

How do y’all wrangle your players? I’m running some people through an adventure that should have taken 3 hours from start to finish. It’s been two sessions with my group, each 3-4 hours, and they’re only now halfway through. Today was an encounter that should’ve taken 15 minutes, but instead took the entire session.

It was fun either way, but it would be nice to have the players moving along to at least two set pieces per session.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Expect everything to take at least twice as long as you're expecting until your expectations meet reality. Planning fallacy in a nutshell.

Or use a turn timer. "Y, you're next. X, you have 15 seconds to tell me what you're doing."

Or a spin on something mentioned a couple of pages ago, "y'all have [time] to decide what you're doing or things are going to happen without your input."

Is this a published adventure or something you came up with with an estimate for?

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 30, 2019

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

8one6 posted:

Has anyone ever seen a really solid write up anywhere on the changes between editions of D&D (both major and subtle)? Like comparing what things editions did well vs what they did badly?

There are lots of them, I'm sure, but they're easy bait for edition wars, especially since there are so many ways to define D&D being good and D&D being bad. I view at least 3.0, 3.5, 4e and 5e as tactical combat simulators, especially compared to games with a much heavier emphasis on character development and relationships. Someone else thinks randomly generated stats helps with making characters with depth, and that spellcasters tending to be strictly superior in several editions is a feature, not a bug, because magic is rare and should be more powerful than physical feats.

There doesn't seem to be a good consensus on what 5e is, much less what it's supposed to be.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

There are lots of them, I'm sure, but they're easy bait for edition wars, especially since there are so many ways to define D&D being good and D&D being bad. I view at least 3.0, 3.5, 4e and 5e as tactical combat simulators, especially compared to games with a much heavier emphasis on character development and relationships. Someone else thinks randomly generated stats helps with making characters with depth, and that spellcasters tending to be strictly superior in several editions is a feature, not a bug, because magic is rare and should be more powerful than physical feats.

There doesn't seem to be a good consensus on what 5e is, much less what it's supposed to be.

5e is for giving you happy D&D tummyfeels. That's the whole reason it exists.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The one thing I think "most" people can agree with regarding 5e is that it is a less complicated system to build a character in compared to 4E, 3.5/3e and Pathfinder.

4E had new powers and forgetting powers every level, with extra feats every other level and flexible stats everywhere.

3/3.5 had a very real risk of building a completely nonfunctional character plus the added difficulty of feats every few levels, weird first level bonuses from certain classes, and a whole host of other complications, such as large numbers of skill points that become half skill points.

That isn't a comment on the playability, fun, engagement, or style of those systems, or the ease in play of the system, just a comment that though I enjoy them, they were more difficult to build a characters in than 5E.

In 5e, you really make 3 choices, race, class and archetype. Sure you choose what skills to be proficient in, but its a simple yes/no from a limited list. Even Feats are an optional rule a DM can choose to allow a party, not the default.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Arivia posted:

5e is for giving you happy D&D tummyfeels. That's the whole reason it exists.

I agree. I'd say that's bad. Meanwhile, someone else is willing to pay $200 or whatever for it. Makes it hard to do an edition by edition "this is what went well" when we have fundamentally different ideas of the value of "which of these spells feel the most D&D".

Edit: You know, the thing I was most excited for in 5e was that they were making fewer but more impactful feats. Then they suddenly said feats were optional, which justifies not trying to find a balance between linguist and polearm master.

Wait, real talk, has anyone played a 5e game where feats weren't allowed, and did that make things better or worse? I know what I'd say, but I've not played in a featless game.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 30, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Verisimilidude posted:

How do y’all wrangle your players? I’m running some people through an adventure that should have taken 3 hours from start to finish. It’s been two sessions with my group, each 3-4 hours, and they’re only now halfway through. Today was an encounter that should’ve taken 15 minutes, but instead took the entire session.

It was fun either way, but it would be nice to have the players moving along to at least two set pieces per session.

Different groups take shorter or longer amounts of time, in my experience. And the official modules tend to assume the former rather than the latter. Some folks charge ahead, and others like to dither and chat with every shopkeeper. I've played in a group where carrying a loot crate from the ship to a warehouse consumed most of a session, and ended with the DM seizing the crate at bowpoint and sending it down an elevator shaft, never to be seen again.

As a player or a DM, I think the best thing you can do to hurry things along is to get good at summarizing situations and asking the party to make collective decisions that will move the plot forward when things start to slow down.

If pacing is a consistent issue, then consider why individual players keep straying from the core plotline - perhaps they are lacking character motivations, maybe they just want a shift in play type (I.e more combat, more roleplaying, etc.), or it could just be that they want more of the spotlight.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

It's a pre-written adventure from the Adventurer's League, I don't quite remember the name off the top of my head. I was trying to speed things up a bit, but despite that they still split the party three ways, which always makes things more difficult, but also more exciting.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gharbad the Weak posted:

When you can't even get two experienced gamers to agree on whether it's better to have all of a character's skills represented by bonuses and to have rolls whenever they try to use them or whether it's better to have almost no definition for skills beyond keywords and to resolve skill checks through a combination of narrative play and (if you absolutely must) an abstract single roll, I don't know how it's possible to design a system that will be optimal for whatever play style your consumers want.

For good or ill, D&D has tended toward trying to appeal somewhat to a broad set of play styles instead of appealing to a narrower slice of the pie. Other systems have done well being more targeted to specific playstyles. D&D also tends to be pretty good at feeling like the same system in its various incarnations despite some radical changes over the years.

I like to compare it to the rules system associated with Glorantha, which has operated out of Chaosium, Avalon Hill, and its own company. Runequest to Heroquest and Hero Wars to Mongoose Runequest and back to Chaosium Runequest, with most system changes being fairly radical and altering the setting as well as how the game plays. In certain respects, the smaller edition changes are more of a headache: the combat round goes from being split into 12 strike ranks in RQ2 to 10 in RQ3, for example, which reduces what you can accomplish in a combat round.

Beyond edition wars, you'll always find someone willing to defend old rules and complain about changes. Nobody I play with misses THAC0, but I could see an argument that removing it encouraged AC inflation.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
For Halloween this year I’m going to do the “1st level characters stuck in Castle Ravenloft” one shot I’ve seen suggested. Anybody do this? I’m thinking I’ll have them all wake up in the dungeons and go from there.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Lucas Archer posted:

For Halloween this year I’m going to do the “1st level characters stuck in Castle Ravenloft” one shot I’ve seen suggested. Anybody do this? I’m thinking I’ll have them all wake up in the dungeons and go from there.

I've done something like that before in Eberron and gurpsbusters (the fight with Strahd went way better for the group armed with proton packs). I cut a decent amount of encounters from the castle when I ran it as a single session, but I was running from the 3.x Expedition to Castle Ravenloft adventure, so I don't know how packed it is in the 5e module.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Have you thought about talking to your DM about why he doesn't seem to understand tabletop RPGs, D&D, or 5E, in specific?

This is kind of a tough one. I am often the only one at the table who sees a problem with stuff like this (for melee for example, I have the only melee character) and when I bring up concerns I am often the only one. If I complained about the short rests for example, the rest of the group sees the current system as working and so would not really back me up. I hate being the negative one so harping on issues that everyone else seems content with gets old fast, even if they are dragging the game down for me. I would rather just switch characters to accomodate the others. I did tell the DM though that I was unhappy with how few options my melee character had and wanted to retire them soon, though, so maybe when we discuss that more indepth I will bring up some concerns about the way the games being run.

We had a similar issue months back when the game suddenly turned from a gnoll slaying romp through the country to a hardcore, dour winter survival game where many of our abilities no longer functioned and we nearly froze/starvr to death. I was also the only one with a complaint back then, the rest of the group seems to enjoy the session no matter what so I kind of dropped it in the interest of not being a party pooper.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Wait, how are you the only melee character? Didn't you say you have a Tempest Cleric?

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Wait, how are you the only melee character? Didn't you say you have a Tempest Cleric?

While they do have a mace and shield, they typically stick with spells and cantrips. It is fairly rare to see them make a melee attack. Call Lightning usually eats up most of their action economy, combined with setting up spiritual weapon or the occasional heal. The other two usually stick with Fireballs. The DM actually gave me a special magic shield even that gives me advantages on saves vs. Fireball because my melee character is often surrounded by so many enemies, it is typically well worth it for the group to fireball his position then heal him up after.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

While they do have a mace and shield, they typically stick with spells and cantrips. It is fairly rare to see them make a melee attack.

No, I mean, aren't they next to you, in the thick of it?

You know, for Spiritual Guardians.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

I usually see it suggested that you have them start at a higher level, but I am also planning to run it for my online group (probably as a 2 or 3 shot since we only play for a couple of hours once a week).

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

No, I mean, aren't they next to you, in the thick of it?

You know, for Spiritual Guardians.

Not usually, only if we get ambushed. Otherwise, all the casters try to keep their distance a fair bit. The tempest cleric in particular still has an AC of 17, as we haven't had the opportunity to buy him plate.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Should be 18 from chain mail plus shield.

But anyway, I've made effort posts before about the woes of being the sole melee character; it's downright horrid.

My recommendation, since they can't see the problem and you seem to enjoy playing with them otherwise, is to give up the role of "party tank" entirely. Sure, try the Sorlock and be quite individually resilient, but don't march in front to draw out attacks - you're a ranged character now so just hang out back and pepper enemies with Eldritch Blast. Misty Step or Darkness and walk away if they get in your face.

Have the group figure things out themselves.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 30, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Willie Tomg posted:

and adam lee answered in as much of what passes for detail in these books there is literally video of this

Unless the PC's put Lulu to the question or are cheating, every single line of the adventure bends the players toward Zariel to ultimately make a DC25 persuasion, save or suck, -5 for lulu if the DM has for some weird reason kept the sparkle elephant around in the Event Horizon Theme Park, -5 for the death knight if the party went that way or made a try of it. That's it. That's your guideline. That's the guideline you're talking about. The whole module comes down to one roll. If you make it, Zariel beats the module for you and rewrites half of 5e's fluff, if you don't you either make a deal with a devil (no guideline given), hope a Good PC takes your hint that a moment of selflessness would save everyone a lot of grief, or open Mordekainen's Tome of Foes ($50 USD plus tax) and give everyone some bad news. If the party is Evil or has made a deal with a Demon then you've already been homebrewing for like, three sessions already at least and probably more lol

You don't need Mordenkainen's tome of Foes, her stat block is in the back of the book. Also there is guidelines for making deals with Zariel, or others. There is a lot of stuff the PC's can do if they feel they need help.

But yeah, I can tell you are just not a fan of the end game being vague and largely dependent on what the PC's do. Which is fair, stuff like that is not for everyone.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 30, 2019

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Should be 18 from chain mail plus shield.

But anyway, I've made effort posts before about the woes of being the sole melee character; it's downright horrid.

My recommendation, since they can't see the problem and you seem to enjoy playing with them otherwise, is to give up the role of "party tank" entirely. Sure, try the Sorlock and be quite individually resilient, but don't march in front to draw out attacks - you're a ranged character now so just hang out back and pepper enemies with Eldritch Blast. Misty Step or Darkness and walk away if they get in your face.

Have the group figure things out themselves.

I second this take. It could very easily create more interesting encounters. Would easily bring movement abilities/spells and cover more into the foreground. Both of which are sadly ignored almost completely if you have a stereotypical adventuring party.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Not usually, only if we get ambushed. Otherwise, all the casters try to keep their distance a fair bit. The tempest cleric in particular still has an AC of 17, as we haven't had the opportunity to buy him plate.

Spirit Guardians (aka, portal to the blender dimension) is amongst the best if not most overpowered lvl3 spells. If your cleric isnt casting that at just about every fight they are doing things really wrong.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Nutsngum posted:

Spirit Guardians (aka, portal to the blender dimension) is amongst the best if not most overpowered lvl3 spells. If your cleric isnt casting that at just about every fight they are doing things really wrong.

I think in an episode of Critical Role, several of the party get kidnapped into a mirror dimension or something and get loving clowned by their mirror-selves, until the party Grave Cleric shows up and just casually strolls through, mopping things up with Spirit Guardians like it ain't even poo poo.

So yeah drop a spell slot on Spirit Guardians.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hey spoiler alert for DMs that I'm just learning right now, don't give your players a lights out puzzle unless you have plenty of time to kill.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Puzzles are a terrible idea in general anyway. 90% of the time either players get it immediately or take the entire session bashing their heads against the wall. It's (usually) also entirely player based with no character mechanical interaction either.

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

Me, my wife, my in-laws, and my little brother-in-law have recently started playing DnD for the first time (actually, I think my father-in-law has played it in college many years ago, but his memory is less then stellar). We are slowly going through The Lost Mines of Phandelver with my wife as a DM, however we have plans to switch it for the next campaign, so she can play as a character, and I would take over as the new DM. As such, I would like to prepare earlier, so the transition into the next adventure will go as smooth as possible, so I have a few questions:
1) Probably the most important one, is there any particular adventure you would recommend as the one after LMoP? Preferably a free one, from DMs guild. I'm gonna slowly go through some of them, but I don't wanna spoil to many of them for me (as my wife wants to go back to DMing at some point - we just wanna switch between adventures), and also there is a lot of them. Some of the things that may be important is:
-noone thought about being a cleric (we have two fighters, wizard, and a barbarian (me). My wife wants to play warlock).
-while I wouldn't call the group the term I have recently learned - "murder-hobos", a more subtle, and longer story arc eludes our group's memory (DM had to remind our group "you may remember this character from that interaction with(...)"). The story is still important, just, apart from my brother-in-law, nobody can remember character's names.
-my brother-in-law is 10 years old, so the story cannot be too dark, or has to have the dark parts non-integral to the story. As an example, my wife has revealed to me after that session, that the dog that hobgoblins had stolen, was in fact a kidnapped family. Also warcrimes are a big no-no (we very quickly learned that if the monster tries to escape, it's time to stop fighting, or the kid feels sorry for it, and starts crying).
-we are heavily focused on the encounters part of the game (I am a historical tabletop wargamer, so I jumped into the possibility of painting colorful miniatures, and now we have a big range of monsters, characters, and dungeon tiles, and we use all of that).
2) What is a good way of helping the group due to the lack of cleric? I thought about dropping them a ring with a healing spell, or letting them stock up on potions, but I do not want to make the fights too easy. However we have already had a really close-call, and almost got a team wipe, and a more ability to heal would be useful for longer encounters.
3) How to "suspend" my character? I do not wanna erase him, and I wanna come back to playing him when my wife takes the reigns of DM once again, but having him wander off at the end of this campaign, and magically run into the group at the start of some future one sounds a little artificial (but maybe I'm overthinking it?)
4) Any general tips, and things to watch out for in DMing (apart from the Matt Colville's YT channel)?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Piell posted:

Puzzles are a terrible idea in general anyway. 90% of the time either players get it immediately or take the entire session bashing their heads against the wall. It's (usually) also entirely player based with no character mechanical interaction either.

It just depends on the group.....................my current group specifically said they wanted a lot of puzzles, so I've definitely obliged. So far I've used the art gallery puzzle from FFVIII, the 8 Queens puzzle, and a really nasty logic puzzle. They've definitely enjoyed it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Hipster Rooster posted:

Me, my wife, my in-laws, and my little brother-in-law have recently started playing DnD for the first time (actually, I think my father-in-law has played it in college many years ago, but his memory is less then stellar). We are slowly going through The Lost Mines of Phandelver with my wife as a DM, however we have plans to switch it for the next campaign, so she can play as a character, and I would take over as the new DM. As such, I would like to prepare earlier, so the transition into the next adventure will go as smooth as possible, so I have a few questions:
1) Probably the most important one, is there any particular adventure you would recommend as the one after LMoP? Preferably a free one, from DMs guild. I'm gonna slowly go through some of them, but I don't wanna spoil to many of them for me (as my wife wants to go back to DMing at some point - we just wanna switch between adventures), and also there is a lot of them. Some of the things that may be important is:
-noone thought about being a cleric (we have two fighters, wizard, and a barbarian (me). My wife wants to play warlock).
-while I wouldn't call the group the term I have recently learned - "murder-hobos", a more subtle, and longer story arc eludes our group's memory (DM had to remind our group "you may remember this character from that interaction with(...)"). The story is still important, just, apart from my brother-in-law, nobody can remember character's names.
-my brother-in-law is 10 years old, so the story cannot be too dark, or has to have the dark parts non-integral to the story. As an example, my wife has revealed to me after that session, that the dog that hobgoblins had stolen, was in fact a kidnapped family. Also warcrimes are a big no-no (we very quickly learned that if the monster tries to escape, it's time to stop fighting, or the kid feels sorry for it, and starts crying).
-we are heavily focused on the encounters part of the game (I am a historical tabletop wargamer, so I jumped into the possibility of painting colorful miniatures, and now we have a big range of monsters, characters, and dungeon tiles, and we use all of that).
2) What is a good way of helping the group due to the lack of cleric? I thought about dropping them a ring with a healing spell, or letting them stock up on potions, but I do not want to make the fights too easy. However we have already had a really close-call, and almost got a team wipe, and a more ability to heal would be useful for longer encounters.
3) How to "suspend" my character? I do not wanna erase him, and I wanna come back to playing him when my wife takes the reigns of DM once again, but having him wander off at the end of this campaign, and magically run into the group at the start of some future one sounds a little artificial (but maybe I'm overthinking it?)
4) Any general tips, and things to watch out for in DMing (apart from the Matt Colville's YT channel)?

1) Storm King's Thunder is good. It gives you a lot of freedom in exploring the world and pursuing self-contained story arcs at various locations, while giving the DM the tools to at any time point the group towards mcguffins and locations that'll help solve the overall campaign goal.
2) Give them a an amulet or such that can cast Healing Word 3/times a day (preferably for a character that doesn't otherwise use their bonus actions). The basic healing potions are relatively cheap to buy/produce so they can stock up on those to top themselves up between fights.
3) You're overthinking it a bit. Leaving him in charge of things at Phandelver could be a good temporary exit point, depending on your character's personality and motivations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Piell posted:

IMHO puzzles are fun when either a.) the party can figure it out right away or b.) they fail to figure it out right away and suffer some immediate, but forward-moving complication as a result of not getting it. At least that way it quickly resolves itself.

A puzzle with an infinite amount of time is just a setup to play another, shittier boardgame in the middle of your game.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Malpais Legate posted:

I think in an episode of Critical Role, several of the party get kidnapped into a mirror dimension or something and get loving clowned by their mirror-selves, until the party Grave Cleric shows up and just casually strolls through, mopping things up with Spirit Guardians like it ain't even poo poo.

So yeah drop a spell slot on Spirit Guardians.

Yeah, Guardians is basically guaranteed AOE damage that lasts as long as you can maintain the concentration. Its good to the point where youre better off dodging and just bonus actioning spirit weapon to make sure you dont get hit. Lvl 8 slightly changes this as you get your damage bonus and if you've managed to pick up Boomingblade through some means you suddenly start doing 3d8 damage per attack so melee becomes viable again.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Conspiratiorist posted:

My recommendation, since they can't see the problem and you seem to enjoy playing with them otherwise, is to give up the role of "party tank" entirely.

Seconding this. The Defender role was one of my favorite things about 4e and it just doesn't work in this edition. My most successful "tank" fighter was actually an Archer that would knock people with poo poo like Goading or Trip Attack while I was more than 1 turn away.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Yeah, Guardians is basically guaranteed AOE damage that lasts as long as you can maintain the concentration. Its good to the point where youre better off dodging and just bonus actioning spirit weapon to make sure you dont get hit. Lvl 8 slightly changes this as you get your damage bonus and if you've managed to pick up Boomingblade through some means you suddenly start doing 3d8 damage per attack so melee becomes viable again.

Toll the Dead's 2d12 WIS DC is also a great use of your action while you have the above ongoing.

Clerics poo poo out damage.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The 2015 Acquisitions Incorporated game is one of the most glorious things I have ever seen and after watching it I have decided I need to get back into playing (I've really only DMed a few simple games for my kid and his friends)

Is it normal for the local shops to request a tip for the DM? I think it's a decent idea, it's just the shop I talked to has you tip it to a line of credit with the store, it's not like you hand the DM a few bucks cash. Any other tips on jumping into a shop game with randos?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hipster Rooster posted:

My biggest recommendation is the new D&D Essentials Kit, which literally takes place in Phandalin, and can be used alongside Lost Mines. Along with coming with a fair amount of goodies, it gives you a Digital Copy of the Adventure, and three extra digital Adventures from D&D Beyond that can take the characters up to level 13.

Syrinxx posted:

The 2015 Acquisitions Incorporated game is one of the most glorious things I have ever seen and after watching it I have decided I need to get back into playing (I've really only DMed a few simple games for my kid and his friends)

Is it normal for the local shops to request a tip for the DM? I think it's a decent idea, it's just the shop I talked to has you tip it to a line of credit with the store, it's not like you hand the DM a few bucks cash. Any other tips on jumping into a shop game with randos?

My local shop generally has fee for entry into D&D games. On the grounds that we are a really small town and it needs all the money it can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya folks, I am sorry if this has been asked before but I am very bad at using the forum search function.

Is "Strongholds and Followers" any good as a book?