Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

I have no doubt whatsoever that McConnell is loving dying to stab Trump in the back. I think he's hedging his bets here so that he actually has the opportunity if the polling looks good.

I really didn't think there was even a 1% chance that Trump would be removed, but his breakdown following the impeachment inquiry announcement has been so complete that I don't know what to think anymore. I still don't think there's a good shot of it happening, but I can't believe that I can actually picture a scenario where Republican senators defect against him.
I can see the House voting to impeach Trump, but the Senate voting to remove him still seems impossible to me.

Trump supporters are loyal to Trump first and the Republican Party second. The Republican Party cannot win without Trump's base. They won't throw him under the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I really wonder if Trump will experience his own Goldwater moment where some GOP representatives will recommend that he just resign. Not saying he will do it but will things get bad enough where the question might actually be posed.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really wonder if Trump will experience his own Goldwater moment where some GOP representatives will recommend that he just resign. Not saying he will do it but will things get bad enough where the question might actually be posed.

He won't, though. I bet the question has already been asked earlier in this term.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1178678932511559680
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1178679603478568963

Cry more little spitball

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
“We must question what kind of agenda the witness to the obvious crime that the accused has openly given out damning evidence may have”.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All that stuff is in the loving complaint

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If McConnell and the GOP backstab Trump it will literally destroy the party.

Every single CHUD will primary or stay home.

Just look at what the BREXIT party did to the Tories in the UK over a similiar split .

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Whataboutism has metastasized in the GOP hive-mind to where crimes are mutually exclusive and only the worst of the crimes can be prosecuted.

It makes talking about this so much easier, “Wait - Biden committed crimes, too? Then yes I agree we should investigate those as well.”

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

All that stuff is in the loving complaint

Yeah but he didn't read it, and won't read it even if you strapped him to a chair and forced his eyes open, Ludovico Technique-style.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1178690708317716481

interesting, both in substance and in the phrasing ("no choice" makes me think he's anticipating a push by Trump to just ignore it)

I think they're getting ready to cut trump loose.

As this investigation gets underway he will get more and more erratic. It's only been a week, nothing has really happened yet and hes threatening civil war and arresting political opponents for treason.

When the investigation gets underway - the whistleblower hearing, his private calls with Putin- when they come out hes going to look like an actual traitor. Hows he going to act then? Try to invade California? Declare New Jersey illegitimate? Nuke iran?

Fox news has already started to turn on him. They never talked about his bad new before. MItch mcconnel said he would let something get to the floor: that never happens.

Trumps going to get worse. Once he feels that Republicans have abandoned him, all hell is gonna break loose; "crazy as a trapped shithouse rat" is not a good description of someone who has access to a military and nukes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i thought this was a good explanation of what's going on:

quote:

3. In moments like this, defenders of a president under threat will circle around until they find some footing on which to defend him or her. That may be on the merits, arguing some point of fact or law, arguing a broader context. The President’s most vocal defenders have been defending him. But what is most notable is that they have yet to find any ground they find firm enough to dig in on. To put it differently, they’ve yet to find any way to defend his conduct. The defenses put forward so far have been risible and rapidly discarded for others. Notably, most Republican members of Congress are simply avoiding the press and waiting to see what happens. That’s all a bad sign for the President.

lindsey is busy trying to make this dumb line of attack a thing, but he's obviously failing and nobody feels like digging in on this issue with him. none of those idiots can come up with a line of attack that passes the laugh test, but lindsey thinks if he makes this one stick he's going to be the hero so he's giving it the ol' college try

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

i thought this was a good explanation of what's going on:

lindsey is busy trying to make this dumb line of attack a thing, but he's obviously failing and nobody feels like digging in on this issue with him. none of those idiots can come up with a line of attack that passes the laugh test, but lindsey thinks if he makes this one stick he's going to be the hero so he's giving it the ol' college try

Yeah, clown college :v:

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah but he didn't read it, and won't read it even if you strapped him to a chair and forced his eyes open, Ludovico Technique-style.

He read it, he's just a craven, lying piece of poo poo.

He knows he can't win without the cult.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1178690086763782145

This is just plain embarrassing at this point.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OddObserver posted:

Isn't Wohl in process of being tried for financial crimes, or am I getting my grifters confused?

That thing was done and over with a while ago while he was a minor. Jacob Wohl has the honor of being the youngest person in history to be banned for life by the NFA from selling securities.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’s now Monday and the GOP is still rudderless with their defense of Trump. The best they can do is either attack the whistle blowers credibility or, for the most part, just remain silent. And for once the media doesn’t appear to be helping them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Guze posted:

He read it, he's just a craven, lying piece of poo poo.

He knows he can't win without the cult.

yeah

lindsey is up for re-election this year and, prior to the kavanaugh hearings, had a potential problem in his primary

he's been busy solving that issue by being the most shameless republican lickspittle possible - quite effectively too, i don't think he's got any serious risk of losing his primary anymore

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

evilweasel posted:

Lindsey is busy trying to make this dumb line of attack a thing, but he's obviously failing and nobody feels like digging in on this issue with him. none of those idiots can come up with a line of attack that passes the laugh test, but lindsey thinks if he makes this one stick he's going to be the hero so he's giving it the ol' college try

It might have been an okay line of attack if they'd been able to make that the marching order early enough. Beat the drum early that there's nothing to see here and hope everybody tunes out.

Of course, that would have required Donnie and Rudy to stop admitting to everything lol.

If I had to bet on what's going on in the other house, my money's on the Republicans in the Senate a
doing a careful calculus of who gets to vote for/against impeachment in a way that will prevent removal from office but still let the purple state Senators say "well, I tried."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rigel posted:

That thing was done and over with a while ago while he was a minor. Jacob Wohl has the honor of being the youngest person in history to be banned for life by the NFA from selling securities.

No, he just recently got caught violating that ban

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jacob-wohl-wanted-on-felony-arrest-warrant

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DaveWoo posted:

This will be devastating for Preside- I mean, Speake- wait, what do you mean she doesn't even have a job

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

DaveWoo posted:

Yep they'd better get right on that investigation of President Hilary and Secretary of State Biden!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Only a couple minutes until the Jacob Wohl/Jack Burkman Stunt Spectacular.

Wonder if Burkman will remember to XYZ this time.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

yeah

lindsey is up for re-election this year and, prior to the kavanaugh hearings, had a potential problem in his primary

he's been busy solving that issue by being the most shameless republican lickspittle possible - quite effectively too, i don't think he's got any serious risk of losing his primary anymore

Before anyone asks, Graham is safe in the general. A couple polls this year put him at about +20. If his election becomes close.... well hell, then that means McConnell probably loses badly.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

buddhist nudist posted:

It might have been an okay line of attack if they'd been able to make that the marching order early enough. Beat the drum early that there's nothing to see here and hope everybody tunes out.

Of course, that would have required Donnie and Rudy to stop admitting to everything lol.

If I had to bet on what's going on in the other house, my money's on the Republicans in the Senate a
doing a careful calculus of who gets to vote for/against impeachment in a way that will prevent removal from office but still let the purple state Senators say "well, I tried."

Not gonna like, I hope this happens then a few GOPers try to be heroes by switching votes at the last minute to impeach him and he gets McCained. Again.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s now Monday and the GOP is still rudderless with their defense of Trump. The best they can do is either attack the whistle blowers credibility or, for the most part, just remain silent. And for once the media doesn’t appear to be helping them.

I thought for sure they'd rally behind one narrative or another, having had the entire weekend to do so, yet they couldn't even pull that off. The silence is damning.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

that's not what that article says

he was banned in 20q7, and this are charges from a different scam that he was running in 2016 pre ban

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The hearsay and second hand info complaints would work a lot better if some dunderhead didn't release the call summary that confirmed it.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1178690708317716481

interesting, both in substance and in the phrasing ("no choice" makes me think he's anticipating a push by Trump to just ignore it)

He presumably realizes that his best chance of maintaining a majority is to let Collins and Gardner vote to convict.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Guze posted:

The hearsay and second hand info complaints would work a lot better if some dunderhead didn't release the call summary that confirmed it.

That "dunderhead" being the President of the United States :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

that's not what that article says

quote:

The warrant was recalled after Wohl—best known for a spree of bizarre, half-baked political schemes—appeared in court on Wednesday. He was released on his own recognizance until his Oct. 24 arraignment on a charge of unlawful sale of securities, prosecutors said.

The allegation that Wohl and Johnson unlawfully sold securities centers on one of Wohl’s financial companies, Montgomery Assets. A warrant application filed by the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office notes that the three-year statute of limitations on the case was set to expire at the end of August 2019, meaning prosecutors had to file by the end of last month if they wanted to pursue charges.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They need to quit giving wohl any attention.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

He presumably realizes that his best chance of maintaining a majority is to let Collins and Gardner vote to convict.

He'd also need to let Tillis and possibly McSally vote to convict as well if the evidence is compelling enough.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

That "dunderhead" being the President of the United States :v:

That doesn't sound right, Americans are too smart to elect a total soup brains.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

The GOP is going to keep attacking this Ukraine conspiracy theory to distract their base from impeachment, acquit Trump once it's passed to the Senate, and hope Trump wins in 2020.

Best case scenario in this is that Trump loses in 2020 and the GOP loses the Senate. Worst case scenario is Trump wins in 2020, GOP keeps Senate, and we have a lame-duck, unimpeachable dementia President destroying the Republic. I don't see any scenario where Trump doesn't serve until 2020.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
He was so deflated and morose at his press conference a half week back. It's like he recognized he had done wrong and was finally in danger of being held accountable for it, but a weekend of ball washing in altered reality fixed him right up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

i am pretty convinced that there's no vote on impeachment that lets Collins or Gardner survive their election, if there's a serious enough case for impeachment they aren't auto-voting acquit. voting to convict means there's a not-insignificant amount of the trump base who refuses to vote for them at all (not that they'll vote D, just not vote).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

see my post again

it's hard to violate a trading ban instated in 2017 for activites in 2016 that are being prosecuted in 2019 because of a 3 year statute of limitations

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Almost Smart posted:

He was so deflated and morose at his press conference a half week back. It's like he recognized he had done wrong and was finally in danger of being held accountable for it, but a weekend of ball washing in altered reality fixed him right up.

Eh. Hiding behind his Twitter account lets him feel like a big brave boy.

Put him in front of cameras and pissed-off reporters again and see how he does.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

In completely unrelated circumstances I came to a conclusion a while ago that one of the most key milestones of emotional maturity is being able to admit having been wrong—indeed, realizing that admitting you were wrong makes you better liked than having a perfect track record of being right all the time.

Many, many people never reach that milestone in their entire lives. They will go to their graves thinking it's better to have never admitted to being wrong about anything than the alternative, even if it's resulted in a lifetime of their being shunned and ostracized and treated like a pariah by every social circle and relationship they've ever been in. They think being right still makes them more popular and cool than if they ever were known to be wrong.

It's a difficult hump to get yourself over, but it's kind of a prerequisite for what I consider "being a grown-up". By that token there are a lot of 25-year-olds who have advanced a lot farther in their humanity than a lot of 80-year-olds.

Addendum: "I was wrong because I didn't go far enough" isn't admitting you were wrong and is actually the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

i am pretty convinced that there's no vote on impeachment that lets Collins or Gardner survive their election, if there's a serious enough case for impeachment they aren't auto-voting acquit. voting to convict means there's a not-insignificant amount of the trump base who refuses to vote for them at all (not that they'll vote D, just not vote).

That makes a lot of sense too, but in that case why would he let it go to a vote? I guess the obvious answer to this question is that he's planning on going back on this.