Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Tunnel Snakes Rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Many a True Need did his Yolo series on both fallout 3 and new vegas, a permadeath run where every single lost hit point was gone for good.
It is hilarious to see him run the gently caress away from bloatflies.

My personal favorite were the kill everything series. Except even though he was able to clear out the immortal flags for necessary NPCs many times no matter what he did he couldn't kill kids, so he had to sell them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

August 17th, 2277, 9:04 A.M.

Post-Nuclear Beth wakes up in a real big hurry.

It's our pal Amata, telling Beth to get a move on!

...Homosexual option?

Oh, no, in fact this is only disgust 60 for dudes, Beth gets the full disgust 100 face for trying the homosexual option.

Of course the black guy dies first.

>What? Jonas is dead? What the hell is going on?

"My God, they killed him... They just beat him, and beat him, and wouldn't stop..."

>Oh my God... Are you okay?

"Yeah. Don't worry about me. I'm just sorry you had to find out like this. I know Jonas was your friend. But we've got to go, now. My father's men will be here any minute!"

>So they killed Jonas, and I'm next, is that it?

"Yeah. It's lucky I got here ahead of them. But we can't stand here talking! You've got to get out of here! "

>You're right. I can't stay here. But where can I go?

"I'm sorry, but I think you'll have to follow your dad. You'll have to escape from the Vault. Listen... maybe it isn't any of my business, but didn't your dad tell you that he was leaving?"

>No, I had no idea he was planning to leave.

"Oh. I'm sorry. I'm sure he had his reasons. Maybe Jonas was supposed to explain everything to you? But it doesn't matter. I can help you escape. I have my own plan!"

>Not another one of your "plans," Amata...

"I don't have time to explain everything. You're just going to have to trust me this time. Listen. There's a secret tunnel that leads directly from my father's office to the exit. You'll have to hack the computer in his office to open it. Use these to get into his office. That's how I always get in."

Hey, neat, hopefully I won't break all of them like an idiot.

"Oh, one more thing. I stole my father's pistol. I hope you won't need it, but you'd better take it just in case."

>Thanks, Amata. I'll only use it as a last resort, I promise.

Finally we're free. It's impossible to get out of dialogue any way but the conversation releasing you. I think there's only one unending loop and you kinda have to mess up on purpose to get it.

Anyway, Beth's taking the prospect of leaving behind her life pretty well.

Better grab the most important thing in Beth's room. You can get out of a ton of scraps in the early game just by beating it with a baseball bat.

9 damage a hit, 1.4 attacks-per-second, neutral critical hit modifier, and 25 AP cost in V.A.T.S. The humble baseball bat doesn't demand bullets like guns do, just swing until it breaks.

Beth's BB gun is there too, but unlike when it was her 10th birthday this has normal slow-rear end and degrading-rear end properties.

Let's grab the morphine she keeps around, that's normal to have.

Stimpacks are the normal HP recovery item, way more than most anything already and they get better with the Medicine skill.

The dresser has her still un-read copy of Grognak the Barbarian, along with some spare clothes and one of the more useful things to keep in one's pocket.

Hey it's a member of Vault 101 security! Maybe I can have a conversation to get his side on what just happened?

Hm, pressing E to talk isn't working. Wonder why?

Ah, he's being attacked by radroaches! They normally fear the lights but the Vault's got lowered lights due to the lockdown!

The humble level 0 Radroach boasts a staggering 5 HP with 0% damage resistance, and deals a deadly 3 damage per nibble. They give one whole experience point.

They're not really a threat to the player, but vault security has a fraction of Beth's HP so I better help out!

When they're done, Kendall turns hostile, as indicated by how red the HUD gets over him. His Confidence attribute is Foolhardy so he won't stop trying to beat Beth with his baton until one of them is dead.

We can't speak to Officer Kendall. We can't get him to stand down. Either Beth tries to avoid being beaten or she must slay him.

Sure this guy has been a part of Beth's entire life. We grew up alongside his daughter, Christine.

That's his blood on this baseball bat. Beth bashes him over and over again until his lifeless body crumples on the floor. No hatred. No regret. Nothing at all.

We do get his neat security armor off his corpse. It's not got any stat bonuses but it does offer a fair bit more DR.

Butch runs up to Beth and yells for help.

We goet a ton of ways to respond to Butch, from very nice to very awful.

>Are you saying you're afraid of the dark?

"No! I mean... it's not the dark, it's the Radroaches. I... I can't stand them. I tried to go back in to get her, I really did! But I couldn't. You gotta help me. She's not going to last much longer in there! Can't you hear her screaming?"

We get two relatively difficult speech challenges that just ruin his life;in fact the second one will kill him. We could also surrender equipment to him to help him overcome his fear. I'll just beat things to death of myself.

>Fine I'll save your mom.

"Oh my God, thank you. I didn't know what to do. You're the best!"

His mom is cowering as the roaches chew her up. Nothing a baseball bat can't handle.

(She's a drunk, remember)

"Hey, I know it isn't much, but I want you to have my Tunnel Snakes jacket. Go ahead, take it."

Hell yeah! Tunnel Snakes rule!

We can take every single thing in the Vault the game will let us without consequence, for... some reason.

"I don't know what you're up to and I don't want to know. Just clear out of here and I'll pretend I never saw you"

Polite and two flavors of vindictive. Well I did want to date his son once.

"It's a real shame it's come to this. I can't believe what they did to Jonas... Officer Mack was just out of control... But you're a good kid. You didn't do anything to deserve this. Go find your dad, if you can."

Andy, the Vault's Mr. Handy, is torching radroaches with his flamethrower. By the way, the robotic butler has a flamethrower.

They really trashed Liam Neeson's office. The bobblehead would be sitting here if I didn't get it earlier.

Every Radroach has some meat. Yum!

Hey, look! A cell transition!

Every location in Fallout 3 is a 3d area called a "cell". Some locations, like Vault 101 here, are too big to be in one cell lest the game have too much stuff in RAM at once. So they're split up with doors like this. Beyond this door in 3d space is the empty gray void.

Anyway, at the atrium, we come across the Holdens arguing about escaping, using the door Liam Neeson did.

It goes great.

V.A.T.S. with melee weaons is a binary thing. Are you close? It hits. Are you far away? It doesn't.

Unlike the gun Amata gave Beth, the cops have really really poor-quality pistols.

The N99 10mm pistol is a semi-automatic handgun that serves as your basic gun. Its low base damage of 9 is offset by its high rate of fire, up to 6 shots a second. It has a bullet spread of 0.5, which should serve as your "average" for bullet spread statistics - basically how good it is at long ranges. x1 critical hit rate, 17 AP a shot, 12 round clips. OK gun until you realize a weird layabout has 60 HP and you need a bigger one.

For future reference, this base damage I refer to is if the weapon is in perfect condition with 100 in its relevant skill. Beth has a Small Guns of 15.

...Is someone still shooting at Beth?

There's a second cop in here. Solve that one right quick.

Getting shot up hurts. Luckily, Beth can eat all this bug meat she's been carrying around.

R.I.P. Holdens, killed in a scripted sequence. You'll be missed.

Fun fact: this guy's room isn't connected to anything. That hallway opposite his door is just floating in nothingness.

The Overseer is interrogating Amata, and a guy is there with a weapon drawn!

Master forgive me, I have to go all-out, just this once...

Attacking while sneaking and hidden from the target produces a sneak attack critical hit. Besides normal critical hit bonuses, the damage is further doubled. It was a headshot too, so Mack... Mack isn't taking it so well.

His goon defeated, Amata runs away while Beth stays to talk to the Overseer.

>Just give me the keys to your office and your password. Then I'll be going.

"Oh, is that all? Is there anything else I can get you while you're here? You'll get nothing from me. I'll die before I see the safety of the Vault compromised again. "

I can give multiple hosed up sociopath answers and a normal-rear end "I'll find some other way!" one.

Beth is a hosed up sociopath by deed, not word.

"Save your sanctimony. The world is a dangerous place and I make no apologies for doing whatever it takes to keep the Vault safe. Guards! Help me!"

He yells that but all the guards are dead.

Take it from Post-Nuclear Beth: drinking from toilets is just fine.

Hey. Darts. I care an unreasonable amount for darts.

Pre-War Money is weightless but not particularly valuable, without a United States to back it it's not worth as much as it was.

Clipboards are extremely useful... in New Vegas.

Jonas's body is on the way to the Overseer's office. It's very sad but we can take his pants.

And a note.

"Hold on Jonas, I need to record this first.

I don't really know how to tell you this. I hope you'll understand, but I know you might be angry. I thought about it for a long time, but in the end I decided it was best for you not to know. So many things could have gone wrong, and there's really no telling how the Overseer will react when he finds out. It's best if he can blame everything on me. Obviously, you already know that I'm gone. It was something I needed to do. You're an adult now. You're ready to be on your own. Maybe some day, things will change and we can see each other again. I can't tell you why I left or where I'm going. I don't want you to follow me. God knows life in the Vault isn't perfect, but at least you'll be safe. Just knowing that will be enough to keep me going.

Don't mean to rush you, Doc, but I'd feel better if we got this over with.

Okay. Go ahead. Goodbye. I love you."

Oh no! A locked door! Aha! But Beth has a talent for poking her nose into these!

Ok so you try to position the bobby pin and turn the lock, the further it turns the closer the bobby pin is to the sweet spot.

Very Easy locks are not hard to pick by accident.

Well that's the office, but what if I turn right around and check the other side?

I can pilfer in his bedroom, duh!

hahaha nice pic amata

Oh there's just

a key.

The computer that operates the passage is also locked. Luckily I am a MASTER HACKER

So you uh

get this screen and you try to match the password and the thing tells you how many letters are right but not which ones or where but then you get mad and quit

And in the locker right next to it is the password, along with some legal drugs.

Turns out, the Overseer had, well, overseen an excursion outside in the past. But was it this one?

Giant ants sound rad. And there's a settlement just outside of the Vault, huh?

Sounds like things were going great. Why did it stop?

Sweet official notices, 200 years later!

A G.E.C.K. was the mcguffin of Fallout 2. If this vault has water chips to spare, maybe it can just launch a G.E.C.K. at me?

drat.

Anyway that's enough lore, let's get out of here.

Well, once this thing rises enough for the collision to get out of my way.

The stairs go to a door that goes to a tunnel. Quite the secret exit.

There's this pace-breaking radroach. Only one.

And another door after that.

And another door after that! It's the big cog-shaped door though.

The machinery hisses alive while the remaining cops notice Beth has made her way to the exit.

When V.A.T.S. locks on to something, through, it's Amata running to us. She isn't red.

>When I say I'm going to do something.... I do it.

"You're right, I should never have doubted you! "

>Why don't you come with me?

"It's tempting, but... my place is here. The Vault needs me more than you do. I'm the only one who has a chance to talk some sense into my father."

Amata stays behind. Everyone does. Post-Nuclear Beth is leaving the only life she's ever known behind.

Some cops run in, but it's too late.

Beth has made it past the threshold.

They are very, very scared of the threshold.

And through a small tunnel to... a screen door. The last door before the outside world. The "Capital Wasteland" the overseer's logs called it.

...And now Beth may morph into unknown shapes, as though she weren't perfect already.

That's Fallout 3's famous, annoying unskippable intro! If you want to replay this game, you have to either accept whatever choices you made re. karma and use this save, or replay the whole thing!

And so much of it is based on the social structure of Vault 101, which we are now leaving behind and can't re-enter! So if you didn't know Old Lady Palmer is Jonas's grandmother, it's a bit late to say huh?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah the dialogue options were always the weirdest bits for me. Like I get that gamers treasure the BE AN EVIL DICK option, but I never got it, especially so early and for people you supposedly cherished and grew up with. Like if those cops always gave your char poo poo and then went "finally we can stop this charade and smear you into the wall as we should have done a long time ago" then that would have been understandable, but otherwise I don't get why more of them don't have Gomez' reaction.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah the dialogue options were always the weirdest bits for me. Like I get that gamers treasure the BE AN EVIL DICK option, but I never got it, especially so early and for people you supposedly cherished and grew up with. Like if those cops always gave your char poo poo and then went "finally we can stop this charade and smear you into the wall as we should have done a long time ago" then that would have been understandable, but otherwise I don't get why more of them don't have Gomez' reaction.

Yeah, Fallout 3 really has very little middle ground conversation-wise between bland and boring/selfless hero and utter turbo-murderer/psychopath, and seeing the options again, wow. Having two of the three ways to answer the Overseer be stuff only an amoral nutcase would say is... an interesting game design choice.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The game considers the overseer "evil" which means if you kill him here you neither gain nor lose karma for that deed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love Fallout 3 possibly even more than New Vegas, which is a lot. I've put maybe a thousand hours into Bethesda games.

I have a problem

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s not even the memorable or believable kind of evil, either. Just nothing but variations of sociopathic “eat poo poo and die”, and not, say, strong-arming Butch into giving you a little something extra before you save his mom, or making him feed into your character’s ego for doing what he was too scared to do.

Not even an hour in, and your character already embodies a murderhobo, basically.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I forget if they ever patched the hacking thing where, as long as you quit and retry before exhausting all your attempts, they'll always be fully refreshed when you retry(if you gently caress up hacking otherwise if I remember right some terminals just plain lock permanently). I can't remember if you can similarly jam locks by accident.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
That trick was still in FO4 and is probably in 76. Another one is that junk characters surrounded by brackets of the same type can be clicked on like passwords to do things like remove wrong answers or replenish your attempts. I don't think this is documented anywhere in the game.

Locks jam permanently only when you fail at forcing them, which you have no reason to ever do because lockpicking is not that hard.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Yeah, this intro makes dear ol' dad into pretty much an irredeemable idiot, honestly. He's hosed off into the wastes believing that the Overseer who has total control over the vault isn't going to respond to him leaving and showing that one of the core ideas the overseer's power is founded on (we live in the vault we die in the vault) by using violence. As a result your character would have probably been beaten in their sleep, then probably been publicly executed to re-establish the overseer's authority if not for Amata. As it is, unless you ignore all your gaming instincts to run past the guards while they are occupied with radroaches/mercilessly gunning down people they have known their entire life you probably just beat down at least a half dozen people, probably a significant portion of all the people they have known in their entire life.

So yeah, just keep in mind for the next time we see dad in... probably like 50+ updates, that his last actions relating to Post-Nuclear Beth would probably have left her traumatized for life, scrambling for her life, and now stuck without any clue out in the great big, hostile world.

A+ parenting right there.

PurpleXVI posted:

I forget if they ever patched the hacking thing where, as long as you quit and retry before exhausting all your attempts, they'll always be fully refreshed when you retry(if you gently caress up hacking otherwise if I remember right some terminals just plain lock permanently). I can't remember if you can similarly jam locks by accident.

Locks no, unless you use the force lock option, and who would bother doing that when they have save states and like 100+ pins? But if you fail either forcing a lock or a hack that thing is locked forever, all of them.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

PurpleXVI posted:

That has always been in, however either NV or FO4 made it so backing out then immediately going back to hack would make the initial bootup sequence unskippable, so you have to wait like 10 seconds for each attempt.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Grizzwold posted:

Locks jam permanently only when you fail at forcing them, which you have no reason to ever do because lockpicking is not that hard.
The hardest part of lockpicking is not breaking your picks on very hard locks.

I lost all my 200 or so picks because the dang things kept immediately breaking on a series of hard/very hard doors.

It was very annoying.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The hardest part of lockpicking is not breaking your picks on very hard locks.

I lost all my 200 or so picks because the dang things kept immediately breaking on a series of hard/very hard doors.

It was very annoying.

Finally, a place where we can go "mods???" and actually mean it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Your artwork put the Reborn thread head and shoulders above most LPs. That you're doing fanart for this LP as well... thank you.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You can also get out of the vault without killing anyone, though it requires hanging Amata out to dry (she shows up at the door anyway.) I doubt many people did this, as Officer Mack with his back to you is just too tempting a target.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

UED Special Ops posted:

Yeah, Fallout 3 really has very little middle ground conversation-wise between bland and boring/selfless hero and utter turbo-murderer/psychopath, and seeing the options again, wow. Having two of the three ways to answer the Overseer be stuff only an amoral nutcase would say is... an interesting game design choice.

Is it really amoral to threaten the life of the local dictator who just had your friend beaten to death?

And you can think of threatening to hurt his dauther as just a bluff, instead of something your character would actually do.

I'm not saying the variety of responses in this game is stellar, but in this case I think it was reasonable.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Randalor posted:

Your artwork put the Reborn thread head and shoulders above most LPs. That you're doing fanart for this LP as well... thank you.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I don't really have too much I can add that hasn't already been said. The various issues in this introduction are fairly obvious if you think about it for longer than a few moments.

Only thing I'll add is that even if they didn't particularly like your father, the complete singlemindedness of all but one member of the security team to be totally down with murdering the best remaining scientist in their closed society, followed shortly thereafter by a child that grew up alongside their own children without allowing them to attempt to talk AND teaming up with their boss to interrogate/torture his daughter, seemingly without question, is pretty wild.

Fallout 3 will continue to have an interesting take on peoples' psychology for the duration of the game.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

This is so accurate it hurts.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

A lot of the game's dialogue options only work if you hold up your end of the blank slate protagonist bargain by actually roleplaying and filling in the game's blanks with additional backstory and motivation.

But anyone who's keen on doing that will always feel stifled by computer RPGs - especially when the dialogue options themselves are all either boring or hammy.

It's beautifully tuned to annoy almost everyone.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

''A baby is drowning in the lake:

-Fallout 1

Ask for more information
Agree to help
Decide not to help
Accidentally say something that pisses the NPC off, failing the quest
Reveal too much information about yourself, causing the Super Mutants to track your vault more easily

-Fallout 2

Ask for more information
Agree to help
Decide not to help
Accidentally say something that pisses the NPC off, failing the quest
Pop culture reference about the baby

-Fallout 3

Yes, I will save the baby
Depends on the caps
I will not save the baby
[Intelligence] The baby is drowning

-Fallout New Vegas

I will save the baby
I will not save the baby
[Barter 30] Double the caps and I'll save the baby
[Medicine 30] Thanks to my medical knowledge, I will easily be able to save the baby
[Survival 15/30] Uh... yeah, I totally know how to swim

-Fallout 4
Yes
No (Yes)
Sarcastic (Yes)
Hate babies''

I'll probably refer to drowning babies at some point so it'll be helpful to remember this.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

:five: So accurate it's not even funny.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

StandardVC10 posted:

You can also get out of the vault without killing anyone, though it requires hanging Amata out to dry (she shows up at the door anyway.) I doubt many people did this, as Officer Mack with his back to you is just too tempting a target.

If you don't take the gun Amata gives you she will actually use it to kill Mack during the interrogation. lovely pistols aren't that hard to come by so I did that occasionally.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Was it 3 or NV where you could mash two pieces of equipment together to fix them?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Was it 3 or NV where you could mash two pieces of equipment together to fix them?

Both, I think.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It's both, but it's significantly better in one of them than the other for reasons I'm sure OFS will get into in time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Did either game ever have heavily-used weapons start to fail even after you’d cannibalized too many others to repair them?

I get why it’d probably suck from a gameplay standpoint (E.G. your best gun shits the bed just after you cross a point of no return, players hate feeling “forced” to constantly change their playstyle up or to go for an “all-rounder” character build instead of specializing), but I could see it posing an interesting optional challenge, at least.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Did either game ever have heavily-used weapons start to fail even after you’d cannibalized too many others to repair them?

I get why it’d probably suck from a gameplay standpoint (E.G. your best gun shits the bed just after you cross a point of no return, players hate feeling “forced” to constantly change their playstyle up or to go for an “all-rounder” character build instead of specializing), but I could see it posing an interesting optional challenge, at least.

No, that never happens in either vanilla game. The closest thing is that certain ammo types can go 'extinct', after which their guns can no longer be used.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ashsaber posted:

Yeah, this intro makes dear ol' dad into pretty much an irredeemable idiot, honestly. He's hosed off into the wastes believing that the Overseer who has total control over the vault isn't going to respond to him leaving and showing that one of the core ideas the overseer's power is founded on (we live in the vault we die in the vault) by using violence. As a result your character would have probably been beaten in their sleep, then probably been publicly executed to re-establish the overseer's authority if not for Amata. As it is, unless you ignore all your gaming instincts to run past the guards while they are occupied with radroaches/mercilessly gunning down people they have known their entire life you probably just beat down at least a half dozen people, probably a significant portion of all the people they have known in their entire life.

So yeah, just keep in mind for the next time we see dad in... probably like 50+ updates, that his last actions relating to Post-Nuclear Beth would probably have left her traumatized for life, scrambling for her life, and now stuck without any clue out in the great big, hostile world.

A+ parenting right there.

This is my first time seeing FO3 and yeah, I agree that the writing for dad is loving terrible. He claims he doesn't know how the Oversee will react but the fact he's planned his escape in secret means he suspects the reaction would be very negative. He also escaped when Post-Nuclear Beth's considered an adult, a fact that the guards probably used as justification to just up and kill her.

Jadecore posted:

It's both, but it's significantly better in one of them than the other for reasons I'm sure OFS will get into in time.

Didn't the older Fallouts not have the degradation system in it? I'm not even sure what Bethesda's thinking adding in a feature that doesn't add anything to the gameplay.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

amigolupus posted:

Didn't the older Fallouts not have the degradation system in it? I'm not even sure what Bethesda's thinking adding in a feature that doesn't add anything to the gameplay.

The older fallouts didn't have any dumb weapon degradation in them. They always worked at the same performance and didn't have to get repaired. That was something Bethesda introduced in 3.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

amigolupus posted:

They did not! They had the Repair skill, but that was basically just used for skill checks to do things like get a computer, well, or engine working again for alternate solutions to problems. This cropped up quite a bit.

Fallout 3, contrariwise, has a few of those, but the primary use for Repair is in the degradation system, which is implemented 1) for offering a taste of power by giving you neat guns early on but in low condition so you could only use it a little/not get the full potential out of it, and 2) for extending the looting gameplay loop so your weapons wear down while fighting and you have to find more to patch them back up, by doing more fighting/looting.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, it's been ages since I played this game, and while I did put a fair amount of hours into it back in the day, even then the blandness bothered me. Years of hindsight (especially after New Vegas) have just reinforced my disdain for this game and specifically Bethesda's garbage writing. They're still great at these theme park sandboxes for the player to explore and mess around in (as my 500+ hours in Fallout 4 attest), but jesus their plotbuilding is dire.

Looking forward to the rest of this LP and pointing and laughing at the game with likeminded goons.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Jadecore posted:

Fallout 3, contrariwise, has a few of those, but the primary use for Repair is in the degradation system, which is implemented 1) for offering a taste of power by giving you neat guns early on but in low condition so you could only use it a little/not get the full potential out of it, and 2) for extending the looting gameplay loop so your weapons wear down while fighting and you have to find more to patch them back up, by doing more fighting/looting.

It does have the nice effect of allowing any weapon style right from the beginning instead of the FO1 and FO2 approach of "these weapons are late-game only, so if you pick the skill at the start and don't know where to beeline for to get one you are crippling yourself".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'll probably refer to drowning babies at some point so it'll be helpful to remember this.

Shouldn't the last one for Fallout 4 be "Shaun?"

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I'd just like to point out that Big Guns is actually a really good skill to have early in the game. Both because getting Laundry Cannon Operator on the GOAT gets the funniest response from the teacher, and also because the Rock-it Launcher is one of the few real gems in this game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gnoman posted:

It does have the nice effect of allowing any weapon style right from the beginning instead of the FO1 and FO2 approach of "these weapons are late-game only, so if you pick the skill at the start and don't know where to beeline for to get one you are crippling yourself".

Then you get to Fallout 4 where the very first part of the main questline past the introduction just straight-up gives you a suit of power armor and a minigun, because of course it does :effort:

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Every FO4 playthrough I've ever done saw my character wear power armor on a more or less permanent basis, starting from that first quest on.

Enemies with regular ballistic weapons can still get one hit kills from a mile away.

It's very weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hey. Darts. I care an unreasonable amount for darts.

:unsmigghh: