Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

big cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

Why do you need a hydraulic guillotine to cut cheese?

to liberate the cheese underclass

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah the answer is "cheese big". Also, it's probably refrigerated in there and it's going to be hard as a rock.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
plus a guillotine cuts cleanly compared to a saw getting cheese dust everywhere because of the blade

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kanine posted:

plus a guillotine cuts cleanly compared to a saw getting cheese dust everywhere because of the blade

They should use water jets, or plasma cutters.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

LifeSunDeath posted:

They should use water jets, or plasma cutters.

Mmmm cheesy water.

Mmmm burnt cheese.

Actually plasma cooked cheese sounds good sign me up to try some of that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Once upon a time, people hated children.

That’s probably morbidly ideal. Before modern crumple zones and safety glass, any crash with more energy transferred than “Kid standing on the seat falls over” would be liable to kill or cripple everyone inside regardless of how modern their seatbelts or child seats were. A rope that ties the kid down to keep them from rolling around as you drive is basically maximum value in those deathtraps.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
*standing at the cheese counter*
Finally, this is my moment.
*unsheathes katana*

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Xaintrailles posted:

*standing at the cheese counter*
Finally, this is my moment.
*unsheathes katana*

Show me what you gooooot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8EbSMtpnE

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

john brown just ROLLING in his grave FURIOUS that the cheesecutters union might be in jepoardy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Budgie posted:

Actually plasma cooked cheese sounds good sign me up to try some of that.

Presenting: the Raclette-O-matic 9000.

We expose the finest Swiss cheese to our magnetically-suspended hydrogen plasma at temperatures of up to a hundred million degrees Kelvin, and then distill the cheese vapour out of the air directly onto your toasted baguette.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the far-flung cheesefuture where gouda-mad cheesevape rebels hijack space cruisers full of forbidden altarean smegma, huffing the fumes after dabbing with a plasma nail.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

packetmantis posted:

Why do you need a hydraulic guillotine to cut cheese?

Here's a video showing how to cut parmesan, I'm sure you can agree a guillotine would be a better option.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Saukkis posted:

Here's a video showing how to cut parmesan, I'm sure you can agree a guillotine would be a better option.

Seems like a very similar process to quarrying stone.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

oh poo poo, very relevant to cheese chat
:nws:https://i.pinimg.com/originals/30/5f/df/305fdf322552537241ca6dcd2280d4df.gif

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the far-flung cheesefuture where gouda-mad cheesevape rebels hijack space cruisers full of forbidden altarean smegma, huffing the fumes after dabbing with a plasma nail.

Infrared tastes better :corsair:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Saukkis posted:

lol

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Infrared tastes better :corsair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oS9T2n8TYE

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I wish Iron Chef was still in production so one of the chefs could use this technique.

Maybe they're slicing the bread with a laser as well? SO HUNGRY

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Every meal I eat comes from a bucket, and is tactically laser welded, and I refuse to wear laser safety glasses.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

At least we know grad students aren't starving in Stuttgart :v:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Saukkis posted:

time to get to work

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Jabor posted:

I can't tell if that guillotine has two separate controls to keep both hands occupied, or if the operator is just exercising proper discipline in keeping their free hand away from it.

When I worked at a print shop the paper guillotine had a foot pedal and two hand operated switches set a bit wider than shoulder length apart. All three needed to be engaged to lower the blade. I imagine this would be similar. I think the foot pedal also activated a laser guide to show where the cut would be made.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Features:

*Extravagant

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Features:

*Extravagant

the cheese ships in its own mink stole

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
bourgeoicheese

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Facebook Aunt posted:

If there was a switch people would forget to turn it back on. You've seen this thread, right?
It does have a switch and people do indeed forget to turn them on/off as appropriate. They also forget to charge them, which of course results in a false sense of safety.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

zedprime posted:

The hands are stood off exactly at the edge of the gap in the screen so I'd feel safe wagering its a good two hand control interlock.

Also it has a screen and isn't just a scrapyard scrap of metal attached to a hydraulic press so its probably made in the last 20 years with the modicum of engineering that asks for a two hand interlock.

Fun fact:

Two-handed interlocks are a mechanism to prevent a stray hand from getting chopped, so they require both buttons to be simultaneously pressed in order for the blade to descend, keeping the spare hand safe.

But they also have a second protection system: both buttons need to be released in order for the machine to reset for another cycle. This is because without this feature, operators will jam one of the buttons permanently on, either with a toothpick or leaning a broom against them, allowing them to use the machine with a single button.

Build a better mousetrap anti-injury device and nature will build a better idiot to defeat it and snap his finger in it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shut up Meg posted:

Fun fact:

Two-handed interlocks are a mechanism to prevent a stray hand from getting chopped, so they require both buttons to be simultaneously pressed in order for the blade to descend, keeping the spare hand safe.

But they also have a second protection system: both buttons need to be released in order for the machine to reset for another cycle. This is because without this feature, operators will jam one of the buttons permanently on, either with a toothpick or leaning a broom against them, allowing them to use the machine with a single button.

Build a better mousetrap anti-injury device and nature will build a better idiot to defeat it and snap his finger in it.

Yeah, that's real genius until the boys dare someone to put their dick in the machine and then spray water on them and they get electrocuted and can't release the buttons. How ya gonna stop that mr safety man?

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
I have never sliced cheese. I will never do so. There is only the one true slice, peace be upon it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There's no electricity, these are almost always pneumatic controls

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Larch posted:

I have never sliced cheese. I will never do so. There is only the one true slice, peace be upon it.

dip the whole samdwich in queso. just keep a bubbling vat of jalapeno queso fundito on your stove at all times. suspended in a double boiler lest the bottom scorch and the smoke spoils all.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

Fun fact:

This is a bit mean for people who've already lost fingers. How'd they operate it??!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

hemale in pain posted:

This is a bit mean for people who've already lost fingers. How'd they operate it??!

If you've already managed to lose 5 fingers, perhaps this isn't the career for you?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
(Shrieking in Thalidomide-baby speech)

robotic translator voice: this is discrimination

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
as a person that froze my hands off so that I can wear paws full time, I

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

but the delicious crunchy burnt bit on the outside is the best part

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

moist turtleneck posted:

wwsqsfdp[wer4sedfpokjnwekjnfkoknmvxclp[as

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://i.imgur.com/jJAiC5o.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

I did not expect that ending.