Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

I vastly prefer to wash half barrels. the only time I find filling sixtels annoying is when I need to split a half into three sixtels for a last minute order or whatever.

edit:
I wouldn't mind sixtels as much if I could just push a button and walk away but nope I do my washing on this loving thing

FYAD SECRETARY fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I like emptying sixtels

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
fml Beer Temple is selling some Allagash Coolship, a bunch of Tilquin, a few Cantillons, and a bunch of Drie Fonteinen today.
Pretty sure I'm going to be spending an irresponsible amount of money tonight because I'm definitely buying a loving magnum of 3 Fonteinen Oude Gueuze.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

If you want any yeast other than lager, weizen, or American ale yeast you need to order from outside of the country which costs a ton and takes over two weeks.

Are you allowed to propagate your own yeast? Obviously storage is an issue but I think ordering+growing stuff is probably your best bet here, if you find something you really like working with

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I like emptying sixtels

same

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Plz send me Japanese beer. Thx

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Plz send me Japanese beer. Thx

and you thought shipping within the US was expensive...

if any of you Asheville-ish goons are looking for beer-related work, DSSOLVR is hiring front-of-house folks now; the space is going to be amazing and the guys running it are rad

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Still think they should have called it BLLDOZR.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lining up for beers seems insane to me I'm no expert but I can get Rochefort or whatever all day long so the bar seems like it would be pretty high.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

You don't like pastry stouts?!?

You fuckin son of a bitch..... :arghfist:

Like what you like. I'm the weirdo who's into Belgian styles.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Do pastry stouts literally have pastries in them

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Yes except in liquid form.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

That's not that weird?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

danbanana posted:

That's not that weird?

True. It is for the IPA crowd sometimes. Especially the older set.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I love Belgian ales dude!

Fake edit: holy poo poo. Burgeon Beer Co. Bird's Milk is loving...delicious. 14% abv and the nice beertender gave it to me for $5 (6 oz pour) today owns my duudedas

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Imma be hoenst im kinda bizzed

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Tonight I bought a 1.5L bottle of gueuze and I regret nothing.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

Tonight I bought a 1.5L bottle of gueuze and I regret nothing.

Hell yeah. My dream is to one day make proper sour ales.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Hell yeah. My dream is to one day make proper sour ales.

This is a good dream and I support you. Good luck btw in Osaka. Hope this new place is great.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm just really burnt out on trendy beers because of the last place I worked. I think making gimmicky beers is a good idea, as long as it's something done every so often. I think it helps keep your brewery looking fresh and relevant, personally i guess there's that invisible line between interesting ingredient and goofy gimmick.

The last place I worked the owner wanted a milkshake based on Osaka mix juice, which is basically like a smoothy. He insisted on using bananas even though they had zero impact on the finished product. He also insisted on using canned peaches because "that's what they use in the actual mix juice!". I tried to get rid of the bananas and switch to peach puree several times but he wouldn't budge. I also suggested a mixed fermentation with weizen yeast for banana flavor but no dice. It was popular but I loving hated that beer.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

This is a good dream and I support you. Good luck btw in Osaka. Hope this new place is great.

Thanks! I think it'll be good! Probably no true sours here but maybe someday if I start my own place.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanks! I think it'll be good! Probably no true sours here but maybe someday if I start my own place.

Are Japanese breweries doing the kettle sour thing, or is sour beer in general just not really a thing?

Good posts by the way. Super interesting.

I'm not sure I saw it get posted upthread so in local news, Texas is the last horse crossing the finish line, in joining the other 49 states in allowing breweries to sell directly to consumers. Never thought I'd stand in line 15 minutes for some cans, but celebrating that seemed worthy. Somehow the 3-tier system has managed to not collapse in the first month.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

nullfunction posted:

Are Japanese breweries doing the kettle sour thing, or is sour beer in general just not really a thing?

Good posts by the way. Super interesting.

I'm not sure I saw it get posted upthread so in local news, Texas is the last horse crossing the finish line, in joining the other 49 states in allowing breweries to sell directly to consumers. Never thought I'd stand in line 15 minutes for some cans, but celebrating that seemed worthy. Somehow the 3-tier system has managed to not collapse in the first month.

Kettle sours have taken off. A few of the brewers here tend to be fairly old school so they worry it could cause contamination but there are several doing them. I made an umeboshi gose at the last place I worked.

I know of only one brewery in Japan currently producing true sour ales (AJ Brewing in Nozawa, Nagano). I know of at least two that are working towards a sour program (Kyoto Brewing and Yorocco Beer in Kanagawa), I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more. I'm glad people are finding this interesting.

Oh yeah? That's crazy. A lot of the old laws surrounding beer production are really odd and were probably just put in place to help the big breweries.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 28, 2019

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Managed to get a hold of some cans from Great Notion and they were both pretty good. Had JB and some other beer that had pineapple in it. They were canned on 9/4 and 9/8 so were still pretty fresh. A+ Would buy again...assuming we ever get regular distro.

If its the socal (LA, SD) drop from last week or so, no wont be a regular thing. It was a one off as they don't have a contract and the disto price was insane, which ended up with a lot of places with hard limits of one\each.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Josh Wow posted:

Still think they should have called it BLLDOZR.

considering all the crazy code poo poo they've had to deal with, i'm sure bulldozers crossed their minds more than once

shovelbum posted:

you drum up a lot of interest when you post pictures of donuts, Twinkies, Oreos, etc being thrown in the mash, so, yeah, that literally does happen, but mostly the effect is achieved through some combination of dextrin malts, high mash temperatures, lengthy boil times, and lactose; this thickens the wort (that viscous mouthfeel) and creates/adds sugars that most beer yeasts can't eat (residual sweetness). heavy additions of things like coconut, vanilla, chocolate malt, and cacao nibs give it that candy/pastry flavor.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm alive. I still stand by my drunkin post about Bird's Milk. Delicious. Also had some Bells amber ale and Rip Current Brewery Dubbel Point Break Belgian Dubbel. All good beerz. Highly recommended for any malt lovers.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Drank some Bell’s Best Brown last night until my dogs got in a scuffle and knocked the can over. A wonderful beer.

Also, cheers to whomever suggested getting some Rochefort Trappiste. I’m enjoying it immensely right now. A perfect beer for sipping on the patio on a sunny fall afternoon.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Gonna get shitfaced on BA barleywine tonight :dance:

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

I've always loved Modern Times and told myself that if they ever opened up a location in the Bay Area, I would join their membership. the stars have aligned and they are planning on letting members pick up at the upcoming Oakland location. so I bought a ticket for the new member tasting event(which also happens to give you a garunteed spot to the league/membership). both of the Bay Area new member tasting events sold out first, within hours, so I'm not alone here

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Drank some Bell’s Best Brown last night until my dogs got in a scuffle and knocked the can over. A wonderful beer.

Also, cheers to whomever suggested getting some Rochefort Trappiste. I’m enjoying it immensely right now. A perfect beer for sipping on the patio on a sunny fall afternoon.

Rochefort is an all time favorite

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

So it's looking like we're going to be getting our brewing license in December. Just have to bust my rear end behind the bar for a few more months.

I've been thinking about sourcing certain ingredients. As I mentioned before I'm a big fan of Belgian style ales and usually would make them whenever I was given the chance. One major issue I had was that Belgian candi syrup is just plain not available here in Japan. Before this I'd mainly use beet sugar in the boil, which was suggested to me by the head brewer at Kyoto Brewing. They make a lot of Belgian style ales and it worked well. I would also sometimes try and find local alternatives, for example using kuromitsu in place of dark candi syrup for my Belgian dark strong. I would like a chance to use the real thing though. With my new place I think I may have access to a commercial kitchen and since the current setup is 500 liters (just over 4 bbls) with 6 conical fermenters I should probably have enough down time between brews and packaging to prep and make things for special projects. If we ever grown I doubt that would remain feasible but I think it might be possible at our current size. Does anyone have any experience making their own candi sugar at this volume? Do you think it would be possible?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's just sugar, so just as with pink Himalayan sea salt or whatever, it does not matter unless you're going to put it on the label.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

From my understanding there is a difference if you plan to use it in large quantities since table sugar is sucrose which being a disaccharide means the yeast needs to break down which can lead to off flavors (unpleasant white vinegar like sourness, tanic, etc.) and can increase fermentation time, whereas the process for making candi or invert sugar converts the beat sugar into fructose and glucose which is much easier for yeast to digest. It could possibly be mostly hype but my former boss also ruined a perfectly good batch of Berliner weisse by forcing me to use canned peaches in heavy syrup so I am a bit overly cautious about it maybe.

Also if I want anything other than blond syrup/sugar just plain sugar isn't going to have that same flavor/color profile.

Edit! I just want to say I'm just saying all of that to clarify why I was considering. Not trying to play expert.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 30, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Not all sugars are equal. Lactose is a sugar and that big ole bond in the middle is hard for a lot of things to break down.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Anyone familiar with the Vancouver (BC) beer scene? I'll be up there this weekend and part of next week for a convention, and there are about 300 breweries to choose from.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Anyone familiar with the Vancouver (BC) beer scene? I'll be up there this weekend and part of next week for a convention, and there are about 300 breweries to choose from.

I only had a bit of time there but I liked Brass Neck and 33 Acres.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

From my understanding there is a difference if you plan to use it in large quantities since table sugar is sucrose which being a disaccharide means the yeast needs to break down which can lead to off flavors (unpleasant white vinegar like sourness, tanic, etc.) and can increase fermentation time, whereas the process for making candi or invert sugar converts the beat sugar into fructose and glucose which is much easier for yeast to digest. It could possibly be mostly hype but my former boss also ruined a perfectly good batch of Berliner weisse by forcing me to use canned peaches in heavy syrup so I am a bit overly cautious about it maybe.

Also if I want anything other than blond syrup/sugar just plain sugar isn't going to have that same flavor/color profile.

Edit! I just want to say I'm just saying all of that to clarify why I was considering. Not trying to play expert.

You think it would have turned out differently if said syrup was some other simple sugar? Maybe the reason it did not turn out the way you wanted was because there was too much simple sugar for the style, rather than the type of simple sugar?

I mean, believe what you like, and use what you like, but leafing through Brew Like A Monk you'll see that there's quite a bit of variety in the types of sugar used by the breweries, with even relatively well-regarded breweries like Westleverten using straight up sucrose. The book even claims most of the Belgian breweries are switching out the use of candi syrup with sucrose or dextrose. Would a dark syrup add a different flavor? Maybe. I'm only saying that using beet sugar in the boil is not bad advice, in fact, it's what most Belgian brewers are doing.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

Fellow Rochestarian?

I like to think that Other Half actually only makes 6 beers and just labels them differently every week and nobody notices. When you make 100's of different IPAs, how different can one really be from another. I do love that they're a 25 minute drive down the road though!

I'll be at the Shelton fest on Saturday with VIP tickets too.

You going to be there with any beer buddies ? Shoot me a PM, working on the logistics of getting there and home, can give you a shout out there.

They just mailed out that you have one more day to do ticket hand-offs, and they are going to start checking people in at 11:30 AM with no re-entry. I have no idea what kind of festival this is going to be but it seems like serious business here.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
In bumfuck NC for work for the night. Found a pub with some local brews on tap. This Catawba CLT ipa is pretty good. Enough for a second. There’s a brewery nearby (Refinery 13) but they’re closed on Mondays.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I need to get a new copy of Brew Like A Monk and Farmhouse Ales. Maybe I can get my current employer to foot the bill. They were pretty useful for me at my last place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Invert sugar is pretty easy to make yourself - it's just regular sugar + acid + heat.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/blogs/beer-recipes-ingredients/how-to-make-invert-sugar