Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So can you head east/west straight out of the gate or should I just go down, get armed, and clamber out again? Used my starter bombs to get out the mines and journey east topside but I just get mauled by these floating tuskan raiders. They don't think much of my og zap stick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mindblast posted:

So can you head east/west straight out of the gate or should I just go down, get armed, and clamber out again? Used my starter bombs to get out the mines and journey east topside but I just get mauled by these floating tuskan raiders. They don't think much of my og zap stick!

You definitely CAN explore topside without much preparation (easiest way is probably get a chaotic polymorph potion floor 1 and use it to take advantage of flight or ideally worm form so you can either fly over or burrow through everything) but if you're looking to get geared up first your easiest route back above ground will be heading as far as you can to the right once you reach the ice caves. You'll find yourself at the bottom of a big chasm that should be climbable to the surface if you take advantage of the dents in the wall

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

violent sex idiot posted:

i died to "physics" damage after using earthquake and having the top of the level right out of the pipe fall on me so maybe its related to the temple bricks

Tested this a little more and I'm pretty sure part of Earthquake's effect is converting materials in range to Collapsed Concrete (that's the actual name) -- it can definitely crush you to death even if you're nowhere near a Holy Mountain and if you survive casting it and mouse-over the parts of the environment that fell, they'll have that label

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i'm beginning to suspect that the level generator tries to set wand rarity based on how easy it is to reach the wand. in my experience in the mines, wands lying around in a shaft will usually have a single bomb, basic fireball, or bouncy ball slotted. wands in trapped chambers (the ones with a box in the corner that activates fire or acid or something else when you pick up the wand) will have three or four attack spells or various projectile modifiers, and wands fully enclosed in rock will have the wild poo poo like 14 nukes or sea of acid. might be obvious to other people but i only just started catching on a few runs ago

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ps, if you wanna kill god skeletons easily, grab lore tablets and throw them at them for massive physics object damage

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

protip: aim your mouse in the direction you want to kick barrels towards. you can kick them very high and control the placement much better in general if you are aware of how this works

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I really just want to play this game with Edit Wands Anywhere always on from the beginning.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
There's apparently a trainer for that already.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

"Earthquake huh, wonder what it does..."

https://i.imgur.com/XNiPxTv.gifv

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Olesh posted:

I really just want to play this game with Edit Wands Anywhere always on from the beginning.

I understand what they're going for with the wands: they don't want players stopping for 10 minutes and dicking with their spells every single time they find a wand. That would totally kill the momentum of gameplay.

But the current system is also a bit weird. I'll find a wand with a spell I want, so I'll hold onto it until the next shop... but then, since i'm at a shop, I often buy new stuff which completely invalidates the old wand. It's like finding a sandwich on your desk, but only being allowed to eat it if you bring it to a sandwich store (with better sandwiches).

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I imagine if you really want to be cheeky you can get an enemy to pick up a wand and then kite them to a small puddle of teleporter liquid near the bottom of a level to get them into the shrine.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
My main gripe is shuffle wands ruining cool combos :/

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Noir89 posted:

My main gripe is shuffle wands ruining cool combos :/

AFAIK, when it hits a modifier, it looks for the first applicable spell to the right, including all the other modifiers in-between. So on shuffle wands you want to place the most important mods late, so they get included more often.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I still feel like they just stiffle creative spellcombos which for me is the best part of the game.For example, I had a cool double purple energy with hit trigger and two explosions that i wanted to combo, but couldn't since the non shuffle wands didn't have enough mana and the shuffle wands was a crapshoot wether the it worked or it exploded in my face instead :v:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah I feel the same way.

I kind of feel like they run counter to the whole create a spell thing they have going on. Most times I just chuck one type of spell on it or toss it if it's stats aren't good.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Glowing lance slices through just about any game object, even steel and extremely dense rock.

And bombs... without triggering them, turning them into tiny little, hard-to-see fragments of bombs, one of which still functions like the full size bomb.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Noir89 posted:

I still feel like they just stiffle creative spellcombos which for me is the best part of the game.For example, I had a cool double purple energy with hit trigger and two explosions that i wanted to combo, but couldn't since the non shuffle wands didn't have enough mana and the shuffle wands was a crapshoot wether the it worked or it exploded in my face instead :v:

I think shuffle wands have better overall stats in return, so it’s not just a simple matter of "this wand would be great if it wasn’t for shuffle". I do wish they would be less common, though. Early game shuffle wands usually come with good, needed offense but midgame wands with shuffle are just a drag.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

goferchan posted:

You definitely CAN explore topside without much preparation (easiest way is probably get a chaotic polymorph potion floor 1 and use it to take advantage of flight or ideally worm form so you can either fly over or burrow through everything) but if you're looking to get geared up first your easiest route back above ground will be heading as far as you can to the right once you reach the ice caves. You'll find yourself at the bottom of a big chasm that should be climbable to the surface if you take advantage of the dents in the wall

:hmmyes: can't wait to see what mauls me there instead!

Game is good, but jesus it is not easy.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Look at this beautiful 175 damage, no friendly fire, evangelion-rear end spell.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think shuffle wands should be replaced with random wands, which have no recharge stat and instead cast from a random slot every time the wand is fired. if the random slot is a mod, a new slot is picked and it continues from there

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
I just started playing this yesterday after seeing a number of death gifs and webms. How do you add spells to wands? I’ve made it as far as the base area. Is wand customization only allowed in the shop between zones? Or is there someplace else where you’re supposed to do it? I can understand the game not wanting to do too much handholding, but this seems like a pretty important aspect of gameplay that they really don’t elucidate on at all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can normally only move around spells in the shops, yes.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Das_Ubermike posted:

Is wand customization only allowed in the shop between zones?

Yes. I'd imagine tutorials, documentation, etc. are still todo's

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think shuffle wands should be replaced with random wands, which have no recharge stat and instead cast from a random slot every time the wand is fired. if the random slot is a mod, a new slot is picked and it continues from there

that would be insane as soon as you can fill the slots

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
:3:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Gamerofthegame posted:

There's apparently a trainer for that already.

I'm risk-averse to running any trainer executables in TYOOL 2019, so I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing until someone posts a CE table for it. Maybe by the time it happens, the game will have clicked to the point where I don't feel like I want the easier experience anymore.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm actually not sure what the point of the spells in the orbs is because i've seen basically all of their effects for sale and whatever already before even picking them up, and some of the orbs are so far out of the way that, even with more fleshing out of their respective areas, i don't see a reason to ever actually go pick them up

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Had a pretty great start, lots of gold, good health left, found some good wands. Accidently throws a chaotic polymorph flask and it spills everywhere, nevermind. Blew my way in to a enclosed chest, gold rains everywhere, together with polymorph liquid. Collects all but one nugget when I touch the polymorph liquid, nevermind the portal is right there and surely I can just wait it out to get the last nugget right?

:v:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
apparently if you do a pacifist (or, at least, don't kill anything directly) run of an area you'll get a fat treasure chest in the holy mountain

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm actually not sure what the point of the spells in the orbs is because i've seen basically all of their effects for sale and whatever already before even picking them up, and some of the orbs are so far out of the way that, even with more fleshing out of their respective areas, i don't see a reason to ever actually go pick them up

They only drop the spell the first time you pick them up anyways . I think a lot of the stuff surrounding the orbs is semi-unfinished right now

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
:orb:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The worst part about the Orbs is that when I pick up a Polymorph potion I feel obligated to get the Pyramid-Top and Emerald Shrine orbs because that +50 health makes a huge difference, even though it takes a relatively long and boring time to do.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Johnny Joestar posted:

My assumption is they are to-do and later on they will permanently unlock new spells to be unlocked to the spell pool.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

goferchan posted:

They only drop the spell the first time you pick them up anyways . I think a lot of the stuff surrounding the orbs is semi-unfinished right now

yeah i'm kind of getting the feeling it's not implemented right. like i found a shop mid-level which sold the holy hand grenade spell component and i know for a fact i had never gotten the orb with that yet.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Gamerofthegame posted:

apparently if you do a pacifist (or, at least, don't kill anything directly) run of an area you'll get a fat treasure chest in the holy mountain
I don't know about that but I know if you clear a level in less than a minute you get a chest. Which you usually will only do with good digging spells or a teleport wand.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly its really neat that even though theres a lot of unfinished stuff all over the place nothing really stops you from getting there if determined enough, it seems pretty clear that the layers of the mountain and the areas that branch off of it a little are the main focus but i enjoyed my treks to go off and just look at whats past the tree and the mountain, and the weird but pointless feeling bits all over the map give me nostalgia for custom maps so that was neat. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they shape into eventually.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Something hit me while half asleep today, so I wanted to float it here. What would you all think of a quick dodge move? Something like a blink backward relative to the crosshairs or mouse cursor to move out of the way of projectiles not tied to a wand or potion. Tying it to the levitation meter makes the most sense to me from a game design perspective since it's already a feature, but a cooldown could work, too.

That would go a long way to increase survivability. We've all had things ended by projectiles or other dangers landing in our laps that we could see coming, but couldn't dodge in time due to momentum or the danger moving faster than the wizard could. This would not only remove that frustration, but introduce another player skill component that would feel pretty good to master.

Being able to instantly move backward a couple block's length seems to me, in my half awake state, would work really well in game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

Something hit me while half asleep today, so I wanted to float it here. What would you all think of a quick dodge move? Something like a blink backward relative to the crosshairs or mouse cursor to move out of the way of projectiles not tied to a wand or potion. Tying it to the levitation meter makes the most sense to me from a game design perspective since it's already a feature, but a cooldown could work, too.

That would go a long way to increase survivability. We've all had things ended by projectiles or other dangers landing in our laps that we could see coming, but couldn't dodge in time due to momentum or the danger moving faster than the wizard could. This would not only remove that frustration, but introduce another player skill component that would feel pretty good to master.

Being able to instantly move backward a couple block's length seems to me, in my half awake state, would work really well in game.

I don't disagree that all that sounds nice, but at the same time that already sounds basically like how teleport wands work, but weaker. You can do some really effective dodging using one of those.