Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I've said in threads before that this is totally fine and I even encourage it. Make your choices with who you wanna work with, absolutely.

But until the union calls for it it's important for people like Gaimen to understand loudly announcing "I AM DONE WITH KICKSTARTER" is gonna have a collective effect given his massive following. Creators already have people calling them scabs and management sympathizers and poo poo. It's silly.

I think this is fair too, FWIW. Gaiman's got a huge platform and should be more careful about the impact of what he says.

I apologize for being somewhat cranky about this. The dude yelling loudest on Twitter phrased this as a consent issue, which is pretty damned repellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Thanlis posted:

I think this is fair too, FWIW. Gaiman's got a huge platform and should be more careful about the impact of what he says.

I apologize for being somewhat cranky about this. The dude yelling loudest on Twitter phrased this as a consent issue, which is pretty damned repellent.

It's all good, it's a rough day for everyone and we're all struggling to support the workers best we can

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah I'm with Nemesis of Moles, you can't tell individual people "oh you HAVE to use Kickstarter until the union says otherwise," but people with a disproportionately influential platform should probably be letting the actual union set the pace of what they should be calling for. There's a difference between any given individual backer or creator deciding they can't in good conscience support Kickstarter and A Very Famous Person taking to twitter and rallying people behind a boycott that has not formally been called for yet, undercutting the union's actual attempts to leverage a boycott as part of the bargaining process.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

Not when the other option is actively buying into a frame being pushed by management, that of “if I don’t use Kickstarter normally, it will hurt creators.” That’s literally managements argument as to why the union shouldn’t exist and why they are actively pushing against organization efforts.

My normal stance with engaging with companies is “I don’t support companies that are anti-union.” But thanks for deciding I’m faking it for wokeness points, I guess? It feels like you didn’t read the several paragraphs I posted above as to why this is my position.
If you've decided that the general principle of not supporting anti-union companies overrides the specific principle of supporting the Kickstarter union by co-ordinating any action you take with their calls to action, that's great - but I think you should own it and the fact that you're following your own ethical compass, not the union's guidance.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I'm with Nemesis of Moles, you can't tell individual people "oh you HAVE to use Kickstarter until the union says otherwise," but people with a disproportionately influential platform should probably be letting the actual union set the pace of what they should be calling for.
To be fair, I'm not saying people HAVE to use Kickstarter until the union says otherwise - I'm just saying that if they choose not to use it they should own it as their own moral decision as individuals, not framing it as being action in support of the union.

We're at least agreed that if the union says "Don't do X for the time being" and people go "I'ma do X" then the people saying "I'ma do X" aren't really putting the union's interests and strategic position at the forefront of their decision-making, right? This is exactly what Current Affairs are doing in response to this - they're taking their ball and going home and making a big song and dance about how they're doing it for the union when as creators they're doing the exact thing - a boycott - that the union didn't ask for.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 30, 2019

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It undermines the unions bargaining position yeah. Treat it as situation normal until the union wants something specific imho.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Warthur posted:

If you've decided that the general principle of not supporting anti-union companies overrides the specific principle of supporting the Kickstarter union by co-ordinating any action you take with their calls to action, that's great - but I think you should own it and the fact that you're following your own ethical compass, not the union's guidance.

I’m speaking here as someone who was part of a bargaining team last year in a public school system that nearly went on strike, having spoken at length during that process with labor staff who knew what they were talking about in terms of effective organization campaigns.

If Kickstarter management’s position is “the unionization effort is impacting creators abilities to do what they do best - create - and that is because they are creating an adversarial nature when we just want to work together,” then that’s their frame. It is the position they have taken to lobby public and internal support to their side - which is inherently anti-union.

If your bottom line is “I’ll do what the union tells me to do,” that’s fine. I’m glad you’re supporting labor unions, and since they haven’t called for a boycott, you are welcome to make a call on how you’re comfortable supporting them. But from my perspective having been in the weeds of this before, I see this whole development today as the union presenting their frame of “unions are the only way to ensure workers have their rights, and this type of reaction from management in blaming us for creators losing folks is consistent with their anti-union tendencies” in contrast to management’s, and reacting to that by saying “well, it IS hurting creators, here’s my evidence, so we shouldn’t boycott yet” is only reinforcing the frame management has put forward. I wouldn’t be wearing my labor organizing hat if I didn’t point that out to you.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
without being confident one way or another about whether boycotting is a good idea, there are very good reasons why the union would be reluctant to call for a boycott even if evidence that the company is hurting from their anti-union position would help the union

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, and as I pointed out elsewhere, consumers not bringing new pledges to the site is not a boycott.

A boycott would look like users pulling existing pledges and creators pulling projects so KS management can see the money their actions have cost them.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, and as I pointed out elsewhere, consumers not bringing new pledges to the site is not a boycott.

A boycott would look like users pulling existing pledges and creators pulling projects so KS management can see the money their actions have cost them.

Not bringing new pledges absolutely is a boycott and 100% Kickstarter will be able to see the impact of that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lots of goons doing mental gymnastics to justify crossing a picket line itt

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
don't break with the union and call it solidarity. its the simplest thing in the world to just wait for them to call it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Here's the guy they fired for union organizing specifically telling me my stance isn't crossing a picket line
https://twitter.com/taylordotbiz/status/1173410397220683776?s=19
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Here is the thing that everyone seems to forget when stuff like this happens: Ultimately, the union wants the company to survive and prosper.

The union needs to play hardball now, as they don’t have a lot of negotiating options when the company takes a hardline anti-union stance. But if the company loses too much business that they have to have layoffs or the company closes, then the union will have failed in its mission to get the workers better compensation/benefits.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
well i wont be backing anything ever again on kickstarter

or at least so long as the CEO of kickstarter is a talkative shitbag I won't back anything on kickstarter again

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 30, 2019

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

If the union hasn't called for a strike or a boycott, there is no picket line?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

Except a picket line hasn't been called for by the union, as people have repeatedly stated, you absolute putz.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Orvin posted:

Here is the thing that everyone seems to forget when stuff like this happens: Ultimately, the union wants the company to survive and prosper.

The union needs to play hardball now, as they don’t have a lot of negotiating options when the company takes a hardline anti-union stance. But if the company loses too much business that they have to have layoffs or the company closes, then the union will have failed in its mission to get the workers better compensation/benefits.

Management has all the power. If they choose to let collective action / a boycott / a strike bankrupt their company sooner than they would give workers rights they deserve, that’s kinda on them?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also people itt being hard on folks saying “I’m not gonna support Kickstarter during this time” why subsequently using the defense of “the union leadership has said I can decide how I want to act on this issue!” is a pretty bad take

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Quidthulhu posted:

Also people itt being hard on folks saying “I’m not gonna support Kickstarter during this time” why subsequently using the defense of “the union leadership has said I can decide how I want to act on this issue!” is a pretty bad take

If you want to personally decide to not use Kickstarter any longer, that's on you. The issue is people acting like their decision to do so is specifically in support of the union/the workers...because it's not. The union has specifically not called for a boycott yet.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

jivjov posted:

If you want to personally decide to not use Kickstarter any longer, that's on you. The issue is people acting like their decision to do so is specifically in support of the union/the workers...because it's not. The union has specifically not called for a boycott yet.

The union is not going to call for a boycott, because the instant they do everyone will be fired and forced into expensive legal theatrics, and within 2 weeks all the same people doing backflips to excuse it now are going to forget it ever happened and keep clicking on that back project button.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

unions call for boycotts literally all the time and the organizers have said that when that's the choice they'll let us know. I dunno why people keep arguing for this "read between the lines" thing when the actual organizers are openly saying, in plain english, both in public twitter threads and right now in my actual Twitter DMs the opposite of what you're saying. one of the reasons its good to wait till you boycott something till after a union actually calls for it is because its a lot easier to protect workers from retaliatory actions if there's a clear and obvious line from any firings back to an act of union organizing - unlike random and disorganized action which can be retaliated against a lot easier

its just mad weird to get accused of being a scab or of crossing a picket line after spending like my entire working life as a union advocate, organizer and rep because I'm repeating what the actual organizers of the union have directly told me

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 30, 2019

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
People get heated all the time with things like this. Anything that they feel personally vested in is going to be like this and will create animosity. I'm sure you've seen similar things in other social justice circles where someone who doesn't go far enough in another person's eyes is almost branded as more of an enemy than the people actively trying to cause problems.

Anyway, watching this closely. We're in contract negotiations at my university right now and its a really weird time for me personally because today is my last day in the union. Tomorrow I am officially management, and while I will always be pro-union its weird now more or less being forced to not engage with it at my place of employment.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
They aren't calling for a boycott but neither have they anywhere said that you should keep backing poo poo. If you think they have, you are reading it wrong. They are going into a vote where management is trying to frame the union as being bad for the company. Obviously calling for a boycott would just let management say "See? They are trying to hurt the company, just like we said." So no, they absolutely can't call for a boycott yet. Both of the extremes here selectively reading certain tweets is a bit silly. Yes, they support creators putting up planned projects. And yes, they also support creators pulling projects (just a bit less vocally, which is perfectly understandable). They have tweets clearly showing that both things are true. So make whatever choice you want. Bickering over who is showing more solidarity is pretty poor solidarity. I for one support all of you ornery bastards, using KS or not.

I'm pretty confident the union won't want to call for a boycott until after their vote at the earliest. Does someone with more experience in the US know what the timeline looks like for that? How long does it take to set up these votes? I have lots of union experience, but all of it in Canada where the laws are different.

Me, I just backed Vincent and Meg Baker's latest project, which looks pretty cool, so if you are still using Kickstarter then you should check it out and we could talk about it in this thread.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Homunculus Assembly Line looks pretty cool, and afaik Beau Sheldon is standup people who makes good content. I like the idea of this kind of round robin art creation process and the mystery of what exactly is gonna come out the other end - a lot of the artists are cool as heck people too.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/briecs/homunculus-assembly-line

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, that Fae circus game from the Bakerses looks goddamn amazing. Just reading the playbooks got me hooked, it's really evocative and tells you exactly what sort of stories the game is going to be good at.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, that Fae circus game from the Bakerses looks goddamn amazing. Just reading the playbooks got me hooked, it's really evocative and tells you exactly what sort of stories the game is going to be good at.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/226674021/under-hollow-hills if anyone's wondering.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

But if we boycott Kickstarter, this incredible game will never fund! :(

Conservatives vs. Liberals Board Game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/edtrice/conservatives-vs-liberals-board-game

quote:

In the United States, we presently live under a great deal of political strife. Our country is more divided now than during the Civil War, according to Historians and the few non-biased Political Science sources. The Media has turned into a Propaganda Machine, distorting the 1st Amendment into "The right to lie" as required by the advertisers who fund their broadcasts. We are being spoon-fed "narratives" instead of being presented with true investigative journalism.

The Democrats are trying to impeach President Trump, all because he won the 2016 election. The Russian Collusion Hoax, the Mueller Report, the Steele Dossier; all fictions aimed to incite Hoi Polloi to riotous levels of dissatisfaction.

This board game features all of the funny, and sad, political shenanigans of our time. From AOC spouting ridiculous "green" ideas, to Trump making some overly-boastful claims, to Hillary lying every time she opens her mouth (and "suicide" a few close acquaintances), you will read about them on the numerous playing cards as you traverse the 70 squares on this game.

Conservatives start on the OUTER SPIRAL and move.... right... of course!

Liberals start on the INNER SPIRAL and move left.

Instead of "buying properties" you buy electoral votes, and stocks. If you're a fan of Atlas Shrugged, you can own a piece of Taggart Transcontinental or Rearden Steel. There's a few contemporary Social Media companies and software entities represented as well. Each stock purchase leads to greater financial gain later, and potential fines if you encounter the wrong RANDOM LAW card that's on the board.

While each individual does move on their own, this game is best played as a pair of diametrically-opposed TEAMS. For example, 2 conservatives vs. 2 liberals. It is also a FAIR GAME giving each side equal chances to win. You achieve victory by one of two ways: BANKRUPTING your opposition, or buying/acquiring 270 electoral votes then landing on the White House square with enough cash to buy it too. There are spaces around the board that give you FREE electoral votes for the smaller stands. And there are spaces on the board that SWITCH the results due to either Voter Fraud at the polls getting away with it, or being caught, and having the results OVERTURNED later!

The game is made primarily to poke fun at the insanity of the process, especially the fact that we are wading in levels of corruption I thought could not exist in America. We've become an overgrown Banana Republic, the Deep State is real, and we are in dire need of political reform.

If you've ever argued with friends over their political views, you NEED THIS GAME to drive home the point, whether you are a Conservative or a Liberal.

I hope you consider funding this well-thought-out game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Imagine a scream shooting out smaller screams until a cacophony of noise drowns out all thought.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Then make it into a board game.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And squinting at that board, I can see a Soros spot next to the liberal starting square. And at the bottom left of the image of the board is the "Trump Card" which includes Donald Trump in a magic card.

Looks like a fine piece of trash here.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Should have gone with fair-and-balanced instead of well-thought-out.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Under Hollow Hills looks rad, been eagerly anticipating this since it was shown to backers

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

But if we boycott Kickstarter, this incredible game will never fund! :(

Conservatives vs. Liberals Board Game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/edtrice/conservatives-vs-liberals-board-game

finally, a game for the ben garrison fan in your family

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I wonder the extent to which there's a false binary of "Keep using Kickstarter as you were a month ago and support the union" or "not support Kickstarter and you're not helping the union."

I want to support the union. But Strickler isn't saying "Gee, our wages are high enough." He's saying he won't recognize a voted on union. Backing something for $100 means I'm buying him a cup of coffee. It's not about supporting the union, it's about giving money to someone who espouses those opinions leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Okay, I keep seeing "Kickstarter refuses any union effort" but the CEO's letter from the VF article says if the majority of eligible members vote for it they'll enter collective bargaining even though they don't want to. This isn't great, but it's not the same thing as "well there will never be a union so goodbye forever Kickstarter." Is there something I'm missing? While this has been ongoing since March, it's only become a big thing for like a week, which is a little short-term for any union effort to get anything done in the meantime. As supporters of the union we need to give negotiations time to fail before abandoning them and thereby weakening their support. poo poo takes time.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the binary here is the classic liberal move of "my personal feelings are synonymous with political action" being translated into a situation where they clearly aren't, and a bunch of people getting very mad about this obvious gap between what they feel should be true (immediate boycotting, as i am so moved to do right now because my sense of right and wrong has been violated, is precisely in alignment with the union's goals) and what is true (the union, for its own reasons and goals which are unknowable to you unless you personally work at kickstarter, has not asked for a boycott yet, and your own personal boycott will have a null to negative effect on them and their goals)

Like the big thing about personal boycott is that we're primed to do it because TTRPGs is a small enough space that you can concertedly boycott or yell a harasser or nazi out of the industry, or at least into a corner. But that attitude absolutely runs into a wall against a company that isn't working in a cottage industry that is actually a miniature of a cottage inside of a smaller-than-ordinary cottage. Kickstarter genuinely won't notice you, doesn't care about you, doesn't even care about your podcast's 10k stretch goal for scratch and and sniff stickers.

Even the people who they may care about, like Neil Gaiman, aren't actually acting in concert with the union, so the union can't say "be good or we'll get our friends like neil gaiman to stop supporting you" because gaiman has already done the dang thing regardless of what the union wanted. Who knows if he'll ever come back, what his deal is, etc. He's not tied to the union in some sort of "i pledge to do [x] until [y]" kind of way.

back or don't back things as like a salve for your conscience if you want but be honest with yourself about the fact that it won't do anything.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

That Old Tree posted:

Okay, I keep seeing "Kickstarter refuses any union effort" but the CEO's letter from the VF article says if the majority of eligible members vote for it they'll enter collective bargaining even though they don't want to. This isn't great, but it's not the same thing as "well there will never be a union so goodbye forever Kickstarter." Is there something I'm missing? While this has been ongoing since March, it's only become a big thing for like a week, which is a little short-term for any union effort to get anything done in the meantime. As supporters of the union we need to give negotiations time to fail before abandoning them and thereby weakening their support. poo poo takes time.

they'll negotiate with the union if a majority of members vote to form one because they have to according to us labor laws.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Impermanent posted:

they'll negotiate with the union if a majority of members vote to form one because they have to according to us labor laws.

Yes, correct, which is presumably why he said that. I am aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

That Old Tree posted:

Yes, correct, which is presumably why he said that. I am aware.

oh sorry, i thought you were asking a different question my b.