Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I'll never stop being amused by the right's Rambo fantasies and 2A fetishizement (if that's a word). Like Bubba and his buddies are going to hunker down and fend off the most powerful military the world has ever seen with just their AR-15s or whatever the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

we will stand up, and quickly collapse, winded, upon our rascal scooters

This.

Jaxyon posted:

While most of them are cowards, the few True Believers going on shooting sprees is what worries me.

Also this.

One of the things that heartens me is that this generation of fascists have never had a great war. Few of them have any combat experience at all. Most of them are also far older than leftist activists on average. Say one thing about the fascists of the 20's and 30's, but the majority of them were combat veterans and had their courage tested in the trenches of World War One, the worst conflict in human history in terms of sheer misery. Gollipoli, The Marne, Passchendaele, The Somme, all of them brutal, all of them ugly in a way that we can't imagine. Everyone went through that, including the fascists, so they had a hardened corps of combat veterans to bulk out their numbers and train younger recruits. So did the left, but that made the conflict higher stakes, the flash points hotter, brighter and longer lasting.

The average republican is old as poo poo. The great wars of their time were severely different. They didn't fight in pitched battles against an equal or even superior foe. Iraq and Afghanistan were full of asymmetrical style warfare. Booby traps. Snipers. Mortars. Ambushes. These still require courage to face, but it's a different kind of courage. And our veterans as a portion of our population are a tiny fraction of the whole. Civil conflict will largely be flailing and attacking soft targets in spree shootings. People who attack singularly, who can't inspire violence, are normally on the losing side. The fascists don't have a large population of young people to draw from to bulk out their numbers and few if any people who have been tested against an equal foe. They're people who are used to punching down and only punching down.

Most older people will stay home for fear that they will lose what they have.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bird cooch posted:

What whistleblowers that went through the system under Obama do you have issue with?

I mean not spend the big deal this time is that this special or went through the whistleblower system that they teach you and is on all of your paperwork when dealing with secured information.

the ones Obama prosecuted for whistleblowing under a law from World War 1, OP. fun trivia! a grand total of one person ever has been prosecuted for the Bush administration's torture program. Obama sent John Kiriakou to jail for two years for leaking the name of one of the torturers.

also it's one of the funnier things about the Snowden leaks: he was a contractor. as such, federal whistleblower protections explicitly did not apply to him in any circumstances, and the person he was supposed to report any complaints to was the contracting agency.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 30, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Do you think there is any situation in which Trump resigns? His ego is so wrapped up in being President that I don’t think any crime he did could be so heinous it’d force even him to admit he’s unfit for office.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pants Donkey posted:

Do you think there is any situation in which Trump resigns? His ego is so wrapped up in being President that I don’t think any crime he did could be so heinous it’d force even him to admit he’s unfit for office.

Anyone who says they can predict what’s going to happen is a liar.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How many times has Newt been divorced again?
He has been married three times and divorced twice.

He divorced his first wife after she had surgery for uterine cancer; friends have said he literally started discussing it in her hospital room post-surgery.

Six months after his divorce, he married Marianne Ginther, who he had started an affair with while still married.

He filed for divorce from Marianne a few months after she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis; at that point he had already started an affair with Callista Bisek, who he married four months after his second divorce.

Basically, someone should be keeping a book on what unfortunate disease Callista is going to get, and how many months he'll wait before remarrying. Both his previous marriages were 18 years, so this one is overdue for his exit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Almost Smart posted:

He was so deflated and morose at his press conference a half week back. It's like he recognized he had done wrong and was finally in danger of being held accountable for it, but a weekend of ball washing in altered reality fixed him right up.

Lol no, more like his favorite celebrity said they didn't like him. Trump has never shown signs of a conscience in his entire long life, don't expect him to suddenly become a different person now.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'll never stop being amused by the right's Rambo fantasies and 2A fetishizement (if that's a word). Like Bubba and his buddies are going to hunker down and fend off the most powerful military the world has ever seen with just their AR-15s or whatever the gently caress.

This is why every one of these should be met with "If the United States government actually did decide it wanted to disarm you by force there is nothing you could do to prevent it. Literally nothing."

Every one of these delusional mental midgets think they could somehow make a heroic last stand against a battalion of heavily-armed and armored soldiers are fooling themselves. The even MORE foolish ones think that the Army would join them.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 30, 2019

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ice Phisherman posted:

This.

Also this.

One of the things that heartens me is that this generation of fascists have never had a great war. Few of them have any combat experience at all. Most of them are also far older than leftist activists on average. Say one thing about the fascists of the 20's and 30's, but the majority of them were combat veterans and had their courage tested in the trenches of World War One, the worst conflict in human history in terms of sheer misery. Gollipoli, The Marne, Passchendaele, The Somme, all of them brutal, all of them ugly in a way that we can't imagine. Everyone went through that, including the fascists, so they had a hardened corps of combat veterans to bulk out their numbers and train younger recruits. So did the left, but that made the conflict higher stakes, the flash points hotter, brighter and longer lasting.

The average republican is old as poo poo. The great wars of their time were severely different. They didn't fight in pitched battles against an equal or even superior foe. Iraq and Afghanistan were full of asymmetrical style warfare. Booby traps. Snipers. Mortars. Ambushes. These still require courage to face, but it's a different kind of courage. And our veterans as a portion of our population are a tiny fraction of the whole. Civil conflict will largely be flailing and attacking soft targets in spree shootings. People who attack singularly, who can't inspire violence, are normally on the losing side. The fascists don't have a large population of young people to draw from to bulk out their numbers and few if any people who have been tested against an equal foe. They're people who are used to punching down and only punching down.

Also, most veterans don’t want to go through that kind of conflict again even if they vote straight ticket R. It’s a special type of person that wants to bring the conflict home and live it day to day.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

It's more likely he gets Article 25ed in a coma.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pants Donkey posted:

he repeatedly filed for bankruptcy so at some point there's apparently something that makes him throw in the towel but i dunno if resignation is that analogous to a bankruptcy filing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have no words.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I was in bed last night and got an alert that said trump wants to face his accuser.

If you are trying to establish credibility, this seems like a good way to distance yourself from even allies.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ice Phisherman posted:

This.

Also this.

I think you're falling into the mythologizing of "Great Wars" here.

Most of WW1 was making GBS threads your pants in a trench before the gas killed you. Running across a no man's land isn't meaningfully different levels of "courage" than getting high as gently caress and hoping you don't die to people who know the jungle/mountains like the back of their hand and are fighting for their lives.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Guys I'm not a fighter so the only help I can offer in Civil War Two: Somehow Stupider is reading and writing for all the illiterates. It was a noble tradition in the first one for us educated dandies. If any of you need any help please feel free to ask.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the ones Obama prosecuted for whistleblowing under a law from World War 1, OP. fun trivia! a grand total of one person ever has been prosecuted for the Bush administration's torture program. Obama sent John Kiriakou to jail for two years for leaking the name of one of the torturers.

also it's one of the funnier things about the Snowden leaks: he was a contractor. as such, federal whistleblower protections explicitly did not apply to him in any circumstances, and the person he was supposed to report any complaints to was the contracting agency.

So that was a question that I asked.

you got an answer or just some hot takes?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

he repeatedly filed for bankruptcy so at some point there's apparently something that makes him throw in the towel but i dunno if resignation is that analogous to a bankruptcy filing

When was the last time? The worms may have eaten the throw in the towel part of his brain by now.

I don't think he even admitted defeat over the hurricane sharpie, just allowed the news cycle to move on.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jaxyon posted:

Most of WW1 was making GBS threads your pants in a trench before the gas killed you. Running across a no man's land isn't meaningfully different levels of "courage" than getting high as gently caress and hoping you don't die to people who know the jungle/mountains like the back of their hand and are fighting for their lives.

i think the theory there is more "when you throw a million people into a hellwar you're gonna get a lot more hardened vets" than a nutty idea of the trenches creating a nobler man

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone who says they can predict what’s going to happen is a liar.

I predict the sun will come up tomorrow.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sneaky Wombat posted:

I was in bed last night and got an alert that said trump wants to face his accuser.

If you are trying to establish credibility, this seems like a good way to distance yourself from even allies.

His real accuser is a written transcript.

He just wants someone to target and vilify. Oh and fire, he'll definitely try to fire them.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Pants Donkey posted:

The people most likely to be able to convince Trump to resign aren't in the administration anymore, but considering that the most important people to the inquiry haven't even testified yet, literally any possible outcome is still in play.

buddhist nudist fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 30, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

nah, he's got something important right there. the backers of the fascist movement were the same petit-boug dipshits as always, but their street-fighting union-busting commie-shooting core was a bunch of Great War veterans whose trauma had rewired them to the point violence was the only thing they could really DO anymore.

that core isn't there for the latest round. there've been some efforts to try to create one, but, well. file photo of Gavin McInnes showing his rear end on camera goes here.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Trump just wants to be able to drag the accuser through the mud. They’re going to go over this person’s entire life and career and their family and friends’ careers for anything related to a Democrat, and then point to that as political bias. If this person started at the CIA under Clinton or Obama, they’ll use that. They’re flailing right now because they don’t know who they’re attacking.

Appearances is all this was ever about. The hook with the whole Biden this is you don’t even need anything behind accusations just an active investigation, and it looks “suspicious”.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bird cooch posted:

reread the first paragraph again. doesn't it fill your heart with warmth and joy, knowing that Obama considered letting people know the name of a torturer more worthy of punishment than ripping a couple goatherd's assholes inside out?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

buddhist nudist posted:

The people most likely to be able to convince Trump to resign have aren't in the administration anymore, but considering that the most important people to the inquiry haven't even testified yet, literally any possible outcome is still in play.

disagree. none of them could ever have convinced trump to resign. the only person i think who had the power (and i think still does) convince trump to resign would be mitch, and only by telling him that conviction and removal was now inevitable, but that pence would give him the Nixon pardon treatment if he resigned

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

evilweasel posted:

disagree. none of them could ever have convinced trump to resign. the only person i think who had the power (and i think still does) convince trump to resign would be mitch, and only by telling him that conviction and removal was now inevitable, but that pence would give him the Nixon pardon treatment if he resigned

Thankfully, unlike Nixon, Trump would get hit with a whole bunch of state-level charges that Pence couldn't do anything about.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

i think the theory there is more "when you throw a million people into a hellwar you're gonna get a lot more hardened vets" than a nutty idea of the trenches creating a nobler man

Yeah, these aren't noble people. What you've created are people who are used to extreme levels of violence and horror. Where your 10/10 horror moment is their 2/10. So some street level antics, bust in someone's head, shoot them, stab them? That's maybe a 4/10 for them. Those were some trench warfare skirmishes. Only in the streets, no one is scrambling up your guts with a bayonet. Or maybe they are, but most people are armed with hand weapons or fists at most.

Those people aren't bulking out the fascist side this time around. And the fascists that are willing to engage in street violence are small in number and have a hard time replacing losses because the pool of young fascists are very online, not very offline.

The narrative for civil war is there and it's strong among the hard core of right wingers, but most of those people are in their fifties and older. The republican party and arch conservatism in general hasn't appealed to young people in a long time. Those are the people who fight in the streets and the fascists are at an extreme disadvantage for not having a large supply of young people.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I think the scenario where Trump quits and Pence pardons him is entirely possible; especially if Pence thinks he has no path to win the Presidency anyway.

And, as mentioned above, I would rather see Trump go down for a slew of crimes in New York that he cannot possibly wriggle his way out of.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Open hypothetical question: if right now Trump offered to resign under the condition that he gets fully pardoned by Pence AND no state charges are filed would you take it?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I think the scenario where Trump quits and Pence pardons him is entirely possible; especially if Pence thinks he has no path to win the Presidency anyway.

This is why I hope Pence gets caught up in all this as well, so you can either get rid of him, or leverage the charges against him into preventing him from pardoning Trump.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

bird cooch posted:

Thomas Drake

Jeffrey Sterling

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Open hypothetical question: if right now Trump offered to resign under the condition that he gets fully pardoned by Pence AND no state charges are filed would you take it?

Oohhhh, tough one. My head says yes but I'm a vengeful gently caress who wants his pound of flesh so my heart is going to say no on that one. I don't want him walking away scot-free.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

evilweasel posted:

The rich filing for bankruptcy is a tax scheme, not admitting defeat .

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No. Absolutely not. Without the New York state charges, he and the GOP get off the hook scot-free.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No. Trump would remain a symbol and fascists live and die on their symbols. He needs to be torn down, disgraced and jailed so they can't Reaganize him.

It'll never happen though. Trump is a clinical narcissist and will never step down willingly.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

easy no

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No.

He needs to be loving impeached.

All of his cronies and enablers need to go down, too.

Wipe the US clean of these fuckers so they can't ruin our country again.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

reread the first paragraph again. doesn't it fill your heart with warmth and joy, knowing that Obama considered letting people know the name of a torturer more worthy of punishment than ripping a couple goatherd's assholes inside out?

What in the hell is wrong with you?

Thanks. I'll read up on them.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

No. Trump would remain a symbol and fascists live and die on their symbols. He needs to be torn down, disgraced and jailed so they can't Reaganize him.

To be fair, being disgraced and jailed is hardly a disqualifying factor. After all, Ollie North is a revered figure among the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

To be fair, being disgraced and jailed is hardly a disqualifying factor. After all, Ollie North is a revered figure among the right.

Yeah, but he went down for the Bush family like a low level enforcer goes down for the mafia. Same poo poo really. That guy does his time and becomes a made man. Serving a crime family faithfully and well comes with privileges.