Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Is there a Shyamalan emote?

He must have built up static from not having been in contact with the trailer frame while rubbing against plastic whatever those rolls are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

* Ini Kamoze's "Here Comes The Hotstepper" plays faintly in the background *

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Is there a Shyamalan emote?

He must have built up static from not having been in contact with the trailer frame while rubbing against plastic whatever those rolls are?

Imgur says static discharge, yeah. Seems like there might be something else going on though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Even if there was static, what ignited?

I can't imagine any regular plastic product shooting up flames like that. There must have been something left/leftover in the truck, or that was some real funky plastic.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chomp8645 posted:

Even if there was static, what ignited?

I can't imagine any regular plastic product shooting up flames like that. There must have been something left/leftover in the truck, or that was some real funky plastic.
Is that plastic? It looks like rolls of cotton or some other rough fabric.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I thought they were rolls of styrofoam

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Imgur says static discharge, yeah. Seems like there might be something else going on though.

quote:

Someone posted before saying a sort of fuel is used as solvent in the making of whatever it is, which wasn't cleaned off.

e: vvv Well there you go.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 30, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
"The porter in Guangdong province was transporting bundles of cotton yarn wrapped in plastic bags when he stepped on the metal floor of the lorry, discharging the built up static electricity and igniting the yarn into a ball of flames" per Daily Mail (I googled for 'truck roll ignites static charge' and this was the first hit)

so the floor would have been covered in cotton dust :ms:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
uhhh

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hey, it's a step up from their previous model, scissors that were also telescopes that only worked when running at full speed

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm at a customer site and, um, this doesn't look like how you're supposed to handle a grinder.

Was waiting for him to take his balls off.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 30, 2019

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Nenonen posted:

"The porter in Guangdong province was transporting bundles of cotton yarn wrapped in plastic bags when he stepped on the metal floor of the lorry, discharging the built up static electricity and igniting the yarn into a ball of flames" per Daily Mail (I googled for 'truck roll ignites static charge' and this was the first hit)

so the floor would have been covered in cotton dust :ms:

My father told me once that cotton barn fires were depressingly common in the antebellum South. Apparently without adequate ventilation the cotton bales create a dust that will ignite readily on contact with flame. And said dust also floats through the air and can be kicked up by things like loading the bales. So you'd run into a situation where your workers would start a fire by unloading the bales in lamp light. Cotton is insanely flammable.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I remember a teacher having these in grade school.

We would always sniff them every time we were called to write on the whiteboard.

Got to get us hooked on huffing solvents while we're young, I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sex Skeleton posted:

antebellum South

workers

:thunk:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sex Skeleton posted:

Cotton is insanely flammable.

To the point where cotton bales will self-ignite if they get wet and then start drying out.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

ulmont posted:

To the point where cotton bales will self-ignite if they get wet and then start drying out.

also large piles of grass! always fun to redistribute mouldy mulch and haha look that patch is steaming and ow OW ow my GLOVE is on FIRE.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

And hay if it's bailed and stacked before fully dry. A problem in England as I'm sure you can imaging.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sex Skeleton posted:

My father told me once that cotton barn fires were depressingly common in the antebellum South. Apparently without adequate ventilation the cotton bales create a dust that will ignite readily on contact with flame. And said dust also floats through the air and can be kicked up by things like loading the bales. So you'd run into a situation where your workers would start a fire by unloading the bales in lamp light. Cotton is insanely flammable.

Flour is notorious for self-igniting, too.

I'm sure this is coincidental (more water usually equals less fire though), but in Hunstville, AL, much of the cotton moved through town was wrapped in paper and floated down a canalized creek. At junctions, men would be posted with poles to help the bales on their way. Reverse pole-rafting. Most of the creek is now flood-control, but remnants of the old system survive in the park downtown.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Any powder lots of powders. You can make cool nondairy creamer explosions.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is that plastic? It looks like rolls of cotton or some other rough fabric.

I thought it was guncotton :dadjoke:

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

I just figured I would avoid opening up that can of worms in the OSHA thread.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1178729530258640896?s=19

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Any powder lots of powders. You can make cool nondairy creamer explosions.

Great. Now I have no eyebrows and everything smells like burnt flan.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That is pretty hilarious, considering they really only needed a screwdriver and maybe 2 good whacks with a hammer to accomplish that goal vs the amount of effort needed to do that.

Points for being thorough, I guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just throw it in a fire what's the worst that can happen.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's understandable. I've heard from multiple sources over the years that drilling a hole through the hard drive is the best way to make it unrecoverable.

Now, imagine if you had heard that, but had no idea where the hard drive was located or what it looked like and also you were an idiot.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

RandomFerret posted:

drilling a hole through the hard drive is the best way to make it unrecoverable.
Microwave :colbert:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
When I was still doing nondestructive testing, my preferred method of data destruction was to pop the hard drive in one of these bad boys (at the bottom of the 5-turn coil), turn the amperage up to max (~6,000 amps), and set it to demagnetize on a DC step-down.

KSHUNK KSHUNK KSHUNK KSHUNK KSHUNK kshunk kshunk

Insanely overkill, but satisfying and definitely worked lol

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 30, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If I want to get rid of a hard drive I just give it to the redneck guy at work who strips the magnesium from them to make (probably illegal) fireworks.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I used to work someplace where the protocol was to expose the drive to a strong magnetic field, then shred it and incinerate the shreds.

Always thought that was a tiny bit overkill.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
But if I simply smash my hard drive instead of throwing it into a volcano, what is to stop CIA agents taking it to a secret government cyber warfare laboratory, conducting a painstaking data forensics operation, and ultimately expending millions of dollars and hundreds of man hours on a top secret project to look at my hentai collection?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RandomFerret posted:

That's understandable. I've heard from multiple sources over the years that drilling a hole through the hard drive is the best way to make it unrecoverable.

Now, imagine if you had heard that, but had no idea where the hard drive was located or what it looked like and also you were an idiot.

I just take my old drives to my parent's farm and use them for target practice. A 7.62 seems to solve the problem

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Azhais posted:

I just take my old drives to my parent's farm and use them for target practice. A 7.62 seems to solve the problem
but is it enough to stop this guy? I think not!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
When I worked for my uni my very professional and well documented process was to take hard drives down the loading dock where our maintenance head had his office, and split them 50/50. We'd then spend a half hour competing over who could come up with the most elaborate way to destroy them using his tools. It amazes me how many official sources back in the day suggested acid as a valid means of HDD destruction. Turns out when you submerge a drive in muriatic, it lets off quite a bit of fumes you really don't want to breath.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They can recover data from pieces of the shattered hard disks. Your only option is to launch it into the sun.

Of course no one is going to spend that much money on ultra specialized techniques to steal your meme archive.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

But if I simply smash my hard drive instead of throwing it into a volcano, what is to stop CIA agents taking it to a secret government cyber warfare laboratory, conducting a painstaking data forensics operation, and ultimately expending millions of dollars and hundreds of man hours on a top secret project to look at my hentai collection?

Like the CIA doesn't already have all hentai ever made catalogued in Area 69.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chomp8645 posted:

If I want to get rid of a hard drive I just give it to the redneck guy at work who strips the magnesium from them to make (probably illegal) fireworks.
That reminds me, do we still have the goon who makes roses out of HDD platters? Because that's the most artistic guaranteed data destruction I can imagine.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Everyone destroying hard drives: please take the rare earth magnets out of them first.

No particular reason, they're just cool to have around and play with. Don't pinch yourself with them, you might lose fingat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Be sure to eat them though, they taste like candy!