Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
You can still use the community version of NMM. It's all I use because Vortex is a piece of poo poo.

I've been working my way through setting up this guy's list for a fresh install. It's supposed to make your game run great even if you have like 200 mods installed.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23556

Has anyone else tried this? Any feedback you care to give / warn me about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

NMM gets a bad rap but its perfectly fine if you're just tweaking some things (ie not using 200+ esps) or not really doing a bunch of mod profile swaps

nowadays i try to be as modest as possible and mostly just use a bunch of gameplay tweaks for skyrim/fo4 and some pluginless replacers and it works fine

no clue on vortex. i think the person that originally did MO2 is designing it? and for awhile it was worse than other options? but now its good?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The absolute only thing vortex is good at is rapidly switching between games you're modding.

I'll grant you, all I've used it for is modding non Bethesda games so maybe it works great for fallout, but it's total trash at anything else I've used it on.

Mod organizer > NMM > Do it manually

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I use Vortex because it has VR support. What's wrong with it?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

probably nothing by now a lot of the reasons people are one or the other with the modern games like skyrim/fo4 are for how complicated you want to get with juggling things if you're not doing bashed patches (not really necessary even half the time with script injector leveled lists) or some weird poo poo or multi-profile juggling most poo poo is just drop in and play

older games things get complicated but thats mostly them using hosed up nesting on folders

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Berke Negri posted:

no clue on vortex. i think the person that originally did MO2 is designing it? and for awhile it was worse than other options? but now its good?

He is, and also decided that you should no longer be allowed to easily change your load order by drag-drop (despite that being the incredibly simple norm from the very beginning), and instead write a giant list of "load rules" for every mod you install.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

sounds awful

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thankfully, MO2 is open-source and under active development, so use that instead.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The really weird-rear end way of managing load orders is the only problem I've had with Vortex, otherwise it's worked like a dream. Granted I've only used it for Fallout 4.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Preston Waters posted:

I've been working my way through setting up this guy's list for a fresh install. It's supposed to make your game run great even if you have like 200 mods installed.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23556

Has anyone else tried this? Any feedback you care to give / warn me about?

You might want to ignore the quest mods they recommend unless you're looking for stuff like this in your Fallout experience

I won't judge.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The September mod dump is here!

New and interesting guns!

Kit Gun Man From U.N.C.L.E Style
Fallout 4 version of FNV 10MM Pistol
Peppermill Crank-Gun
Sig Sauer P320
Basic M41A Pulse Rifle
Stimgun! Stimpack Dart Your Friends!

Upgrade mods for existing vanilla weaponry!

Red Dead Revolver .44 Expansion mod
Walking Cane mods!

Armor and clothing stuff!

Classic F3/NV Metal Armor
West Tek Tactical Gloves
F3/NV Style Vault Outfits Pack
Hotline Malden - Hotline Miami Inspired Clothing
Gordon Freeman's HEV Suit
Vim Bomber Jacket
Classic F3/FNV Underwear Replacer

Tweaks and HD reskins of vanilla clothing!

Armor and Clothing Overhaul

SavrenX HD Vanilla Clothes and Armor texture tweaks.

Ghouls!

Classic Ghouls F3/NV Replacer replaces all non feral Ghoul models with a Capital Wasteland TC mod version that resembles the F3/FNV era.

Charon Heads North and Charon companion too for that extra nostalgia kick.

Stealth!

Stealthy Takedowns Allows you to sneak up behind any non-essential ghoul, human or synth and execute them, using paired animations based on equipped weapon type, provided you have SNEAK 01 and MISTER SANDMAN 01.

A new FEV mutant NPC to kill you!

The Famished!

FACE PAINTS!

100 New Face Paints

WEATHER CONTROL!

MCM Weather Control This mod will allow you to quickly change the games current weather to the one of your choosing in the weather pages. Comes with a range of options and features including support for unused CK weathers and the True Storms and Vivid Weathers mods.

And finally bunch of system/feature/location tweaks all thrown in together.

Simulated Damage - Realistic Damage and Bleeding This mod adds a craftable holotape to the game which allows the player to enable/disable realistic bleeding, burning, flinching, damage multipliers, and essential flag removal (allows essential NPCs to be killed). The holotape can be crafted at a chem station under utility.

No Power Armor Allowed removes power armor from enemy NPC.

No Fusion Cores in Fours Fix to the time-weathered annoyance of Fusion Cores spawning in fours (sometimes threes or fives). This has a high chance of occurring and always results in an excessive amount of cores, removing any challenge in keeping your Power Armor moving.

Red Mouth Fix Darkens the mouth textures so that the red color doesn't seem excessive.

National Guard Armory(and more) Revamp

Dead Sea Creature Removal removes all the dead fish and dolphins lying about.

Still waiting on a Classic F2/FNV Gauss rifle model the gently caress?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

This thing really looks so much better than the godawful ginormous F4 vanilla one. I've been using a mod that just swaps the model for the 3/NV one, though I guess this looks like it might be a bit higher quality. Sure it's still big but not quite as ridiculously unwieldy looking than a fully decked out F4 version.

As for weapon mods, I just saw this one the other day, really cool semiauto shotgun: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/41109

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 18, 2019

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm still waiting on a drum mag grenade launcher. Or the grenade machine gun from FNV.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Is there a list of mods to make FO VR not kill me?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Anyone here who have had the issue with mods with sound (More Where That Came From/The Machine and Her) being way to quiet, and/or know how to fix it?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Had a hard drive crash wipe out my modded install that I carefully crafted over years.

After 650 hours I think I'm done with this game.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

For the VR people, it seems that there's movement. FO4SE is coming to VR, and I've found the first comprehensive mod list for VR:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4vr/comments/d55jzy/comprehensive_modding_and_tweaking_guide_for/

Gonna try that at some point.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Does anyone know of any good mods to replace the ugly rear end steampunk assault rifle?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Here is the gun and here is the mod that replaces the F4 one with it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pZxMj_iyYQ

More impressive than anything Bethesda has shat out in the last three years.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I installed a M1 Garand mod that spawns two uniques. My god I love hearing that *ping*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that made by the same guy with the (non sexual) duct tape fetish? His Lee Enfield mod is fantastic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah that mod looks great. It's even got a DOOM themed power armor frame what is not to love?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah that mod looks great. It's even got a DOOM themed power armor frame what is not to love?

At least Bethesda could keep rape camps out of their own games!

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is that made by the same guy with the (non sexual) duct tape fetish? His Lee Enfield mod is fantastic.

Yes, it is. I'll have to check out his Lee Enfield mod. I like the Union Jack paint lol.

One of the M1 Garand uniques is called "This Machine," but instead of the classic phrase made famous by Woody Guthrie, it reads "WELL THIS MACHINE KILLS COMMIES"

Very lore appropriate. I haven't found the other one, "Blue Betty."

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 12, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Preston Waters posted:

Yes, it is. I'll have to check out his Lee Enfield mod. I like the Union Jack paint lol.

One of the M1 Garand uniques is called "This Machine," but instead of the classic phrase made famous by Woody Guthrie, it reads "WELL THIS MACHINE KILLS COMMIES"

Very lore appropriate. I haven't found the other one, "Blue Betty."

This Machine is a nod to Fallout: New Vegas, which had a unique gun of the same name, very similar to an M1 Garand though not an exact copy.

Also yes, pretty much all the gun mods by asXas are top notch. I have the Garand, Lee-Enfield, Tomacuzi-9, Sjögren Inertia and possibly my personal favourite, the SVT-40. All the guns look drat great, sound loving fantastic and have a nice twinkle of humour what with the whole tape gimmick etc. (The Tomacuzi-9 is a kitbash of a TEC-9 barrel, a Thompson receiver and a Uzi stock. Except one of the unique variants, named a Shoemacuzi that has a shoe for a stock.)
Also I love that they're not terribly powerful out of the box, but you can enable "cheaty" damage increase mods for them so you can keep using them at high levels.

Really there's so many great gun mods for this game, at this point my problem is deciding which ones I wanna haul along. And then I end up hauling most of them and using different ones like some fashionista switching between fancy hats on a whim.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 30, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Nordick posted:

This Machine is a nod to Fallout: New Vegas, which had a unique gun of the same name, very similar to an M1 Garand though not an exact copy.

Also yes, pretty much all the gun mods by asXas are top notch. I have the Garand, Lee-Enfield, Tomacuzi-9, Sjögren Inertia and possibly my personal favourite, the SVT-40. All the guns look drat great, sound loving fantastic and have a nice twinkle of humour what with the whole tape gimmick etc. (The Tomacuzi-9 is a kitbash of a TEC-9 barrel, a Thompson receiver and a Uzi stock. Except one of the unique variants, named a Shoemacuzi that has a shoe for a stock.)
Also I love that they're not terribly powerful out of the box, but you can enable "cheaty" damage increase mods for them so you can keep using them at high levels.

I wish asXas would do a Kar-98 mod but I don't think he's been active recently at all.

quote:

Really there's so many great gun mods for this game, at this point my problem is deciding which ones I wanna haul along. And then I end up hauling most of them and using different ones like some fashionista switching between fancy hats on a whim.

I know what you mean. Fallout NV had Modern Firearms or whatever it was, and it was extremely well done. Not only does Fallout 4 not have the same thing, but even adding new ammo calibers is a loving pain in the rear end and doesn't play friendly with like 70% of the gun mods.

edit: also, you should read the comments under the "Posts" section for the Lee Enfield rifle. People are absolutely outraged about the quest that he made, like it's EXTREMELY TAXING BOTH MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY to go from the Museum of Freedom to the Museum of Witchcraft. What a bunch of assholes.

edit 2: What gun mods do you use? Give me a list & load order!

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 1, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Preston Waters posted:

I wish asXas would do a Kar-98 mod but I don't think he's been active recently at all.
He did release the very good Sjögren Inertia shotgun just three weeks ago, but it does seem his output has slowed somewhat.

For your Kar-98 need though, there is this mod which adds a "Mauser 98" that you can make into different variants, including the Kar-98, at a weapon bench. It's not quite as high quality as asXas's stuff but still pretty solid work. The main issue is that the reload animation is just borrowed from the vanilla hunting rifle, so it looks all wrong.

Preston Waters posted:

edit 2: What gun mods do you use? Give me a list & load order!

Hoo boy, here goes. Leaving out the asXas ones since those were touched upon already:

-.45 Auto Pistol: A port of the eponymous gun from New Vegas: Honest Hearts. So, you know, a Colt 1911. Sound is not the best (same as the vanilla FO4 .44 revolver I think) but it looks loving great.

-AKM: Not sure why I even got this, as the Handmade Rifle from Nuka World is close enough for my AK needs. That said, this thing is real drat authentic and sounds great. Gets really overpowered with upgrades though, so I just use mine with lower tier parts and pray that no enemy spawns with a fully tricked out one.

-Caravan Shotgun: Adds the over-under two barrel shotty from NV. More powerful than the vanilla two-barrel, but I have a weapon balance mod that buffs the poo poo out of the vanilla one, so this isn't really useful to me in-game. I still keep the mod on for flavour because the gun is loving beautiful.

-Colt 6520: A rendition of the OG 10mm pistol from FO1 and 2. Looks kinda angular and blocky, but imo in a cool way. Sounds good, fun to shoot trash enemies with, solidly recommended if you want pistol variety in your game.

-Colt Delta Elite: Great model, ok firing sound, but the metal texture is waaay the gently caress too shiny. Very powerful for a pistol but not an OP weapon overall. Get if you want a mirror plated 1911 I guess.

-FACTOR modular rifle: Futuristic rifle with a fuckton of customisation options. Extremely high quality work, but I haven't used it much since the aesthetic clashes with the rest of the game a bit too much for my taste.

-FN-FAL: Maybe a bit on the OP side, but I have it anyway because I'm a sucker for battle rifles and this is solid work apart from some of the textures looking kinda cheap.

-G36: Implementation is a pain in the rear end. First you have to pick up the blueprint from a "secret facility" that's some grade A mod-rear end mod jank, then you craft the gun, and to modify it you have to get the different mod parts scattered on a few different vendors. Also gets stupidly OP with upgrades. Model and sounds are great quality though, so I still have a less upgraded one sitting in a locker somewhere because it's a drat cool AR.

-H&K MP7: Just a drat cool, high quality SMG. Neat little touch is that folding/unfolding the foregrip via workbench will actually make your character hold the gun differently.

-M1911A1: Yes I have three different 1911s in my game, don't loving judge me. It's one of my favourite guns and this is a beautiful, very nicely detailed version.

-OTs-02 Kiparis: Just another very solid quality gun, because I felt like having more SMGs.

-Sig-Sauer P220: Same as above, except pistol.

-Mosin Nagant: FOR THE MOTHERLAND!! :ussr:

-MP40: Hilariously high quality, which shows in the size of the download. But it's worth it because, well, hilariously high quality.

-N99 10mm: Really good looking port of the FO3/NV 10mm. Uses the default 10mm pistol sound, and there's also a replacer version available.

-R91: Port of the Fallout 3 default assault rifle. I only just installed this and haven't actually played with it yet, but previews do look good.

-Riot Shotgun: Another well made port of a New Vegas gun.

-Service Rifle: Same as above... but not, because this goes WAY the gently caress beyond that. Huge amount of modification options, consistently top tier art assets, great sound, just an exceptional mod all around. If I had to name one single best made FO4 weapon mod, it'd be this.

-Steyr AUG A1: Very solid quality mod of a very cool, iconic, gun.

-M14: Metal texture is a little bit dodgy and it has this weird block of metal just kinda sticking out as a handrest, but I still love this one because, as I said, I'm a sucker for battle rifles and this one's just really fun to shoot. The firing sound is exceptionally pleasing to my ear, too, especially with headphones.

-Trench Shotgun Redux: Pretty cool for more shotgun variety, I just wish this had custom sounds because the vanilla combat shotgun sound is pretty lame imo.

-Winchester Model 1987: Really loving badass looking old pump shotgun, with very good high quality sounds.

As for my complaints of overpowered guns: I know I could adjust the damage in FO4Edit, and a few times I've done so, too. But 1) I'm really lazy and just can't be bothered anymore, and 2) many times I'm fine with the base damage but dislike how huge of a jump the upgrades make, and I don't actually know how to fix those.

EDIT: Oh and about the load order, I don't concern myself with it because I make sure that all leveled-list integrated ones do it via an injection script, which bypasses LL conflicts. Well, I dunno if load order even relates to that, but at any rate it's a non-issue with the mods I use.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 2, 2019

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Nordick posted:

*Loads of guns*

is there a Mauser pistol mod somewhere? I want a shoulder stock semi-auto gun that reloads from stripper clips.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have used a mauser mod in the past, but it doesn't do a stock option and I don't think it had real animations for the stripper clip when I used it. Like, the bolt opens like you are going to put a stripper clip in and then you have the regular reload hand motions.

I think this was it.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
This guy was doing a comprehensive Mauser pistol mod that seems to have stopped dead. He was also doing a Kar98k and some other german weapons.

Video at the bottom.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Not getting enough Battletech in you Fallout 4 playthrough? This mod will fix that:
Mechout4 23rd Century Combat

Turn your Automatrons into such fearsome mechs as the Atlas or the....Urbanmech?
I haven't tried it out, but the mechs look cool as hell.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody have issues with Furniture Owner? Settlers still beeline for the Fat Man in the locked crate.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I installed the Fallout 4 Enhanced Edition modpack and can't leave Sanctuary without being one-shot by bloatflies.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Been doing a lot of reading on Sim Settlements/Rise of the Commonwealth/Conquerer and decided I wanted to do another playthrough after a couple of years. Is Create Your Own Difficulty Rebalance still the go-to overall game balance mod? What are people's preferred settings? Mostly just looking to make combat more deadly for both me and NPCs, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style. Just trying to form a base before I add a bunch of garbage on top of the game, so I'm planning on using CYODR and cranking up the damage we both do.

Is the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch a poo poo-show like it was for the Morrowind and Skyrim ones for a long time? Those big patches have a history of touching things they don't need to, or adding things they shouldn't lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 12, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Babe Magnet posted:

Is the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch a poo poo-sho

No. It honestly does a great job. I haven't had a single problem with it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Babe Magnet posted:

Been doing a lot of reading on Sim Settlements/Rise of the Commonwealth/Conquerer and decided I wanted to do another playthrough after a couple of years. Is Create Your Own Difficulty Rebalance still the go-to overall game balance mod? What are people's preferred settings? Mostly just looking to make combat more deadly for both me and NPCs, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style. Just trying to form a base before I add a bunch of garbage on top of the game, so I'm planning on using CYODR and cranking up the damage we both do.

Is the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch a poo poo-show like it was for the Morrowind and Skyrim ones for a long time? Those big patches have a history of touching things they don't need to, or adding things they shouldn't lol

I don't think there's been any gategate type stuff with Fallout 4.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nice, very good to know

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
For difficulty:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33759

The Game Configuration Menu is an all in one difficulty/gameplay/anything changer. It uses MCM so it needs f4se.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14650

Survival Options provides additional granular tweaks for survival mode if you use that. It also allows you to re-enable all sorts of saves including a timed save option not normally available. I forget if it needs f4se but it can take advantage of MCM.

Both these mods let you tweak the damage values on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

neat, thanks. I'm going through the OP and the doc file linked in it right now and picking out mods. I ended up going with Abritration because it had a bunch of stuff I planned on grabbing mods for anyway, if the damage values it recommends aren't enough/too much I'll switch over.