Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Noticed something a bit odd while getting this C50 set up. When I go to download the latest firmware, it mentions to make sure I'm loading the correct region. I double checked I'm at TP-link.ca (in Canada), and the zip file says "CA", but when I extract it, it says "EU". Archer_C50v4_EU_0.9.1_0.2_up_boot[190125-rel63783].bin

If I download the older first version, from the same place, it's "Archer_C50v4_CA_0.9.1_0.1_up_boot[180313-rel55577]".

Edit: Had a look on their forums. See a post about "How do I see what pages my kids are visiting", followed by "how do I set up OpenVPN", followed by "How do I block VPNs, my kids keep using them to bypass parental controls".

Golluk fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Golluk posted:

Edit: Had a look on their forums. See a post about "How do I see what pages my kids are visiting", followed by "how do I set up OpenVPN", followed by "How do I block VPNs, my kids keep using them to bypass parental controls".

That's beautiful.

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.
So I'm looking to replace my parents' aging wireless router. I have an Edgerouter X and AP AC LR at home which works great for me, but is a little outside their price range. Are there any horror stories about using an AmpliFi Instant Router from Ubiquiti? It may not be super quick but it will still be a massive upgrade over their current equipment.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Could use some advice, please! One of my family members has a ~1600 sq foot home and the wifi setup they have is pretty bad. They're renting a modem/router combo from Comcast—he told me it's the xFi Advanced Gateway: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides and it's the only device supplying wifi for the entire home (2 floors, plus full basement).

The modem/router is on 1st floor, tucked away in their den where their family PC is. The den is on the far left side of house. As such, the wifi signal for devices in the basement and on the 2nd floor take a huge hit. My first thought was to just drill holes to fish ethernet cables to the 2nd floor and basement from the den and attach some APs to the ends of them. Is that the best idea? Would one of those whole home wifi mesh solutions be better? He's down for drilling, but if there's a much simpler/easier/more convenient solution that can get stronger wifi throughout his house, I'm all ears :)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

teagone posted:

Could use some advice, please! One of my family members has a ~1600 sq foot home and the wifi setup they have is pretty bad. They're renting a modem/router combo from Comcast—he told me it's the xFi Advanced Gateway: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides and it's the only device supplying wifi for the entire home (2 floors, plus full basement).

The modem/router is on 1st floor, tucked away in their den where their family PC is. The den is on the far left side of house. As such, the wifi signal for devices in the basement and on the 2nd floor take a huge hit. My first thought was to just drill holes to fish ethernet cables to the 2nd floor and basement from the den and attach some APs to the ends of them. Is that the best idea? Would one of those whole home wifi mesh solutions be better? He's down for drilling, but if there's a much simpler/easier/more convenient solution that can get stronger wifi throughout his house, I'm all ears :)

Try mesh first, and if that isn't good enough, hard wire the nodes in.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I somehow managed to get Gigabit enabled on my cable setup, what is the best modem to pair up with the service?

I have a SB6183 and want to stick with a dedicated modem as I already have all the routing and WiFi infrastructure, but I'm seeing some unpleasant reviews online for the next step up on the Arris side.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FunOne posted:

I somehow managed to get Gigabit enabled on my cable setup, what is the best modem to pair up with the service?

I have a SB6183 and want to stick with a dedicated modem as I already have all the routing and WiFi infrastructure, but I'm seeing some unpleasant reviews online for the next step up on the Arris side.

My Arris SB8200 has been perfect since getting gigabit internet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Update on gigabit internet:

My Archer C5 does not appear to be up to the task. It's dropping the WAN connection frequently. The Cox support dudes said the modem is showing totally OK diagnostics from their end, good signal, normal amount of T3/4 drops.
The tech said it was really weird that he was seeing a flurry of IPv6 activity and address requests from my router, which makes him think that something's not right on the router's end with the IPv6.
I give up with this modem. Ordered an Edgerouter Lite and a AC Lite, going to set them up this week. I have a smallish house and have no problem getting 2.4ghz signal anywhere, and get good 5 ghz coverage in about 2/3rds of the house.

I'm somewhat network handy, though grossly out of practice since about the Windows XP era when home routers became idiot proof.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Can the ER Lite handle 1gb routing?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FunOne posted:

Can the ER Lite handle 1gb routing?

Yes, as long as you don't turn on anything fancy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

canyoneer posted:

Update on gigabit internet:

My Archer C5 does not appear to be up to the task. It's dropping the WAN connection frequently. The Cox support dudes said the modem is showing totally OK diagnostics from their end, good signal, normal amount of T3/4 drops.
The tech said it was really weird that he was seeing a flurry of IPv6 activity and address requests from my router, which makes him think that something's not right on the router's end with the IPv6.
I give up with this modem. Ordered an Edgerouter Lite and a AC Lite, going to set them up this week. I have a smallish house and have no problem getting 2.4ghz signal anywhere, and get good 5 ghz coverage in about 2/3rds of the house.

I'm somewhat network handy, though grossly out of practice since about the Windows XP era when home routers became idiot proof.

I've had half a dozen home routers get shifty with IPv6, and have always worked around by just turning IPv6 off. I know it's not ideal, but even my current AT&T router can't happily handle IPv6.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm wondering if it is worth buying a new 802.11ac wireless router or access point in my situation or if I should move straight to giving a powerline solution a try? If anyone has other suggestions I'd be delighted to hear them too.

In my new (rented) townhouse the only place to put the modem is in the master bedroom on the first floor. The computer room is right above it on the second floor. The signal is adequate for browsing, but tends to disconnect when I try to use it for gaming. Especially if both computers are in use. In specific, when me and my wife try to play Don't Starve or another real-time multiplayer game whichever of us isn't hosting the game tends to have lag issues bad enough to disconnect us fairly often.

I'm currently using AT&Ts all-in-one 802.11n wireless router/modem (an Arris BGW210-700). According to the manual it has an 802.11ac mode, but I haven't been able to figure out how to force into using it. I've also got a decade old standalone wireless router (D-link running 802.11n) that I tested, and it seemed to make things a little better, but wasn't a complete fix.

Local wifi spectrums are pretty congested and I'm fairly certain I'm already on the best channel. I say fairly certain because which channels are busiest varies every time I check.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 30, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Twerk from Home posted:

I've had half a dozen home routers get shifty with IPv6, and have always worked around by just turning IPv6 off. I know it's not ideal, but even my current AT&T router can't happily handle IPv6.

Correction, it's an Archer C7.

For some reason the little booger won't turn off IPv6. I go to disable it, it agrees, I restart, and it's back :argh:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

LLSix posted:

I'm wondering if it is worth buying a new 802.11ac wireless router or access point in my situation

Yes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

willroc7 posted:

Try mesh first, and if that isn't good enough, hard wire the nodes in.

How do those wifi mesh-kits-in-a-box work? Do the nodes need to be in line of sight from one another? I'd presumably put one node on each floor, but since they're wireless, isn't that similar to just plugging in wireless extenders all over the house? I've never had a good experience with those.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

teagone posted:

How do those wifi mesh-kits-in-a-box work?
Well.

teagone posted:

Do the nodes need to be in line of sight from one another?
No.

teagone posted:

I'd presumably put one node on each floor, but since they're wireless, isn't that similar to just plugging in wireless extenders all over the house? I've never had a good experience with those.
They work better than extenders.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I only ask, because Comcast offered him a mesh solution called xPods to work with his gateway, but I was reading elsewhere that the pods needed to be in line of sight in order to get good speeds. Maybe it's just the xPods suck lol.

Can anyone recommend a good mesh solution for a 1600sq ft home with 2 floors and a full basement?

Also, what would I need to do on his existing router/modem other than disable the WiFi on it once we decide on a mesh kit?

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 30, 2019

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

teagone posted:

I ask, because Comcast offered him a mesh solution called xPods to work with his gateway, but I was reading elsewhere that the pods needed to be in line of sight in order to get good speeds. Maybe it's just the xPods suck lol.

Can anyone recommend a good mesh solution for a 1600sq ft home with 2 floors and a full basement?

Eero, Orbi, or Deco on the cheaper end. They do have to be close enough to talk to each other. Not quite line of sight, though. You can start with 2 or 3 nodes and add more as needed if they do not provide sufficient coverage, or if you have to move them closer together.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Comcast boxes look like Plume devices, so check the reviews on those.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm using UBNT equipment in my suburban home. Huge 2.4ghz interference, but minimal 5ghz interference, as you would expect.

Will I get benefits from switching my TWO AC Lite APs to using VHT80 instead of 40 for 5ghz?

I max out ~200mb/s on 40 right now.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

FunOne posted:

I'm using UBNT equipment in my suburban home. Huge 2.4ghz interference, but minimal 5ghz interference, as you would expect.

Will I get benefits from switching my TWO AC Lite APs to using VHT80 instead of 40 for 5ghz?

I max out ~200mb/s on 40 right now.

80Mhz/VHT80 is really required for best 802.11ac speeds. And assuming your clients are 3x3 they will benefit from it. All modern Apple products are 3x3 for example. And many other products are as well.

UBNT equipment being business oriented tends to ship with more conservative defaults.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Re: mesh in a box, I’d advise against Google Wifi for multi floor home. Mine worked ok-ish but a number of minor grievances added up.

Cable internet (600mbps) coming into house is only in basement, so primary point there. Another on main floor and 3rd on top floor. There was the faintest signal from the basement and the system insisted on connecting top floor to basement, amplifying a terrible signal instead of wireless uplink from main floor.

Because it’s made to be simplistic, there is no ability to adjust or change this.

Would also get lots of random dropouts where the wifi network would drop all connections for 5 minutes or so a few times per week. Some evenings my signal in the top floor would be great, other evenings I couldn’t even load a webpage.

Switched to a 2 AP solution with UniFi and everything is blazing fast and solid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

willroc7 posted:

Eero, Orbi, or Deco on the cheaper end. They do have to be close enough to talk to each other. Not quite line of sight, though. You can start with 2 or 3 nodes and add more as needed if they do not provide sufficient coverage, or if you have to move them closer together.

Ok cool, thanks.

Thanks Ants posted:

The Comcast boxes look like Plume devices, so check the reviews on those.

Did a prelim search, and looks like Plume pods work a little differently than most other home mesh kits. And they're slower. Will do more reading though!

Opioid posted:

Re: mesh in a box, I’d advise against Google Wifi for multi floor home. Mine worked ok-ish but a number of minor grievances added up.

Cable internet (600mbps) coming into house is only in basement, so primary point there. Another on main floor and 3rd on top floor. There was the faintest signal from the basement and the system insisted on connecting top floor to basement, amplifying a terrible signal instead of wireless uplink from main floor.

Because it’s made to be simplistic, there is no ability to adjust or change this.

Would also get lots of random dropouts where the wifi network would drop all connections for 5 minutes or so a few times per week. Some evenings my signal in the top floor would be great, other evenings I couldn’t even load a webpage.

Switched to a 2 AP solution with UniFi and everything is blazing fast and solid.

Hmm, noted. Their connection is 250300/20, and comes into the den on the 1st floor. Maybe since the cable point of entry is in the middle of their home as opposed to the basement, their situation might be better suited for a mesh kit?

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 1, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, as long as you don't turn on anything fancy.

Like hardware offloading?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Binary Badger posted:

Like hardware offloading?

More like QOS or detailed analytics I think. Enabling hardware offload should only increase your possible speed.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Got a reply back on the Archer C50 firmware, Canada uses the same firmware as EU. At the same time, I realized that the C50 is not the same as the C5 in the OP, most importantly being that it's only 100mbps on its ports, not 1GB. Back to the store it goes.
Edit: Picked up a C7, they priced matched to almost as cheap as it was a couple months ago.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 3, 2019

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

This isn't home networking so apologize if this is the wrong thread, but I have an unusual case for a product we are developing.

Basically, we are recording video with IP cameras in locations without WAN connectivity, then connecting the system to an ethernet port to upload the videos (and allow us to SSH and check things, update the version of the software, etc.). During offline recording the system is controlled by a web interface. We want to provide the whole setup to clients and allow it to be operated without technical knowledge.

The architecture I'm imaging is something like

code:
client (direct connection)---                                       --- camera
                              \               --- server          /
                               \            /                    /
                                ------ router ---- POE switch --------- camera
                               /                                 \
                              /                                   \
 us (remote) -- client LAN --                                       --- camera
Here, the server is hosting the web interface that controls the cameras. And the two modes on the left are not simultaneous, but it needs to support both.

So I have a few questions
  • is it possible to have a router that works more like a switch, in-between the client LAN and our devices? And can change between both modes without changing the configuration?
  • I've seen some advertisiments for routers with zero-configution VPN. Is this really a thing? Can we get remote access to our server without asking the client to open ports, etc?
  • Is there an easier way? Am I even in the right direction?
  • Is the PoE switch necessary or are there PoE routers nowadays?

Any advice is appreciated.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Just to clarify - your router is disconnected from the client's LAN until it's time to upload, in which a cable is plugged into the router to connect your segregated LAN to theirs? And this is the only time in which your or the client are able to connect to the server? Or have I misinterpreted the process?
  • is it possible to have a router that works more like a switch, in-between the client LAN and our devices? And can change between both modes without changing the configuration?
If I understand you correctly, you want to have the camera traffic isolated to the server while also keeping the server available to the client LAN, right?

If the router and switch both are VLAN capable (and if you're able to disable DHCP on specific interfaces) you could configure vlans + intervlan routing to accomplish this - have the camera vlan reach the cameras and router, have the client vlan reach the client LAN, router, and server, and configure a rule on the router to block traffic from the camera network except when it has the destination address of the server. Will also need to set the default gateway of the server to your router's IP so that it can communicate with the cameras.

A layer 3 switch can also accomplish this as well.
  • I've seen some advertisiments for routers with zero-configution VPN. Is this really a thing? Can we get remote access to our server without asking the client to open ports, etc?
Depends on how that VPN service works. If "zero-configuration" means "download this OpenVPN config file and you directly connect to the router" then probably not. If "zero-configuraton" means that it reaches out to an external server and your client also reaches out to that, then maybe.

Could also look into setting up a reverse ssh tunnel on the server if the client doesn't want to open up ports for a VPN.
  • Is the PoE switch necessary or are there PoE routers nowadays?
There are some PoE routers, but most don't have enough ports to support 3+ PoE devices.

e.
  • Is there an easier way?

If you can have your client add in a route on their router to your camera network, then you can just have your server hang out in the same network as your cameras and the clients will be able to access the server.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 3, 2019

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
hey, what's a decent modem nowadays for a 500mb connection

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Thanks for taking a crack out of this. I'm out of my comfort zone here, if you can't tell.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Just to clarify - your router is disconnected from the client's LAN until it's time to upload, in which a cable is plugged into the router to connect your segregated LAN to theirs? And this is the only time in which your or the client are able to connect to the server? Or have I misinterpreted the process?

Close -- the client needs to be able to connect to the server even when disconnected from their LAN (when traveling). Ideally the setup has one loose ethernet cable. When they're traveling, they plug in their own laptop and can control the cameras through the interface we're serving. When they get back to the office, they plug the cable into their LAN and it starts uploading the videos to us.

Actuarial Fables posted:

If I understand you correctly, you want to have the camera traffic isolated to the server while also keeping the server available to the client LAN, right?

Yes and no. When the client LAN is available, we need remote access, but there's no camera traffic during this phase of operation.

Actuarial Fables posted:

• Is there an easier way?

If you can have your client add in a route on their router to your camera network, then you can just have your server hang out in the same network as your cameras and the clients will be able to access the server.

Right, this should be possible, the question is if this configuration of our devices will also work when the client LAN is not available and they directly connect instead.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Right, this should be possible, the question is if this configuration of our devices will also work when the client LAN is not available and they directly connect instead.

I think I've got a better understanding now. You need a small portable network that functions by itself, but can be hooked up to a larger network.

If you have DHCP set up on the Camera LAN and instruct your users to plug their laptop into the switch while traveling, then they will be able to "directly connect" to the server. With DHCP turned on, their laptop will be given an address and will be able to communicate with the server. Communication between the cameras, server, and laptop all on the same LAN doesn't require any services of the Client LAN and can be used without an uplink.

If you can secure a static IP/DHCP reservation in the Client LAN for of the travel router, then you should be able to set a static route on the Client Router to route traffic to the Camera LAN (or set up a dynamic routing protocol if you really want to I guess). The key thing will be to ensure that the Default Route for the Travel Router is the Client Router, so that the server can communicate back to the Client LAN

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 3, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Goast posted:

hey, what's a decent modem nowadays for a 500mb connection

Who is your ISP?

My SB8200 has been rock solid on Comcast. 1000 down/35 up.

Can't wait to get a symmetrical connection.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Moey posted:

Who is your ISP?

My SB8200 has been rock solid on Comcast. 1000 down/35 up.

Can't wait to get a symmetrical connection.

yeah comcast, i guess im swapping my old surfboard for a new one

i dunno why i asked the answer has always been the same lmao

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

I think I've got a better understanding now. You need a small portable network that functions by itself, but can be hooked up to a larger network.

If you have DHCP set up on the Camera LAN and instruct your users to plug their laptop into the switch while traveling, then they will be able to "directly connect" to the server. With DHCP turned on, their laptop will be given an address and will be able to communicate with the server. Communication between the cameras, server, and laptop all on the same LAN doesn't require any services of the Client LAN and can be used without an uplink.

If you can secure a static IP/DHCP reservation in the Client LAN for of the travel router, then you should be able to set a static route on the Client Router to route traffic to the Camera LAN (or set up a dynamic routing protocol if you really want to I guess). The key thing will be to ensure that the Default Route for the Travel Router is the Client Router, so that the server can communicate back to the Client LAN

Thank you, this is very helpful!

One more question, in case we're not able to get a static route, is there some kind of workaround (for us getting access through the Client LAN) involving an autossh service with port tunneling?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Thank you, this is very helpful!

One more question, in case we're not able to get a static route, is there some kind of workaround (for us getting access through the Client LAN) involving an autossh service with port tunneling?

If you're unable to get a static route, then I would recommend turning on NAT on the travel router. This will cause traffic coming from the web server to use the IP address of the client side of the travel router, allowing it to communicate with the outside world. Sure, it'll be doube-natted, but it'll work.

If clients need to be able to reach the server while on the client LAN (and there's no static route), then set up some port forwarding rules on the travel router to the server's IP address (ports 80/tcp + 443/tcp for web traffic). You'll then need to instruct the users that the IP address they use to access the server is different than when connected to the Camera LAN - they'll type in the address of the travel router to access it.

autossh will work, yes. You'll probably end up with a command on the server similar to this one to establish the tunnel
'autossh -M 21001 -N -R 20000:localhost:22 remoteuser@remotehost'

Then to use the tunnel, the command on the remote side
'ssh -p 20000 serveruser@localhost'

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I just got a pi-hole running today, and it works if I set individual computer DNS to its IP, but I found that my router's (WNDR3700v2) factory firmware apparently doesn't support local DNS servers. I searched and found a post from another user with the same model and issue, and they claimed that switching over to dd-wrt allowed it to work.

So I tried to flash dd-wrt, and during the flash everything seemed to go smoothly. The new web interface came up, I changed the default password, and then just clicking around the web interface a couple times, it stopped responding. I rebooted it, and it seems like basically any time I try to apply settings or save changes for anything, the web interface goes down and never comes back up.

If i try to telnet in, it says its connected, but immediately closes the connection:
code:
$ telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying 192.168.1.1...
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
I can't ssh in either (I see that SSH is not enabled in the web UI "Services" tab, but apparently can't change that setting, or anything else?).

The thing still routes and I have access to WAN etc after the web interface goes down, but this really sucks that I apparently can't do poo poo to configure this thing. Any ideas?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

peepsalot posted:

I just got a pi-hole running today, and it works if I set individual computer DNS to its IP, but I found that my router's (WNDR3700v2) factory firmware apparently doesn't support local DNS servers. I searched and found a post from another user with the same model and issue, and they claimed that switching over to dd-wrt allowed it to work.

So I tried to flash dd-wrt, and during the flash everything seemed to go smoothly. The new web interface came up, I changed the default password, and then just clicking around the web interface a couple times, it stopped responding. I rebooted it, and it seems like basically any time I try to apply settings or save changes for anything, the web interface goes down and never comes back up.

If i try to telnet in, it says its connected, but immediately closes the connection:
code:
$ telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying 192.168.1.1...
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
I can't ssh in either (I see that SSH is not enabled in the web UI "Services" tab, but apparently can't change that setting, or anything else?).

The thing still routes and I have access to WAN etc after the web interface goes down, but this really sucks that I apparently can't do poo poo to configure this thing. Any ideas?

Did you clear the NVRAM after you flashed it with dd-wrt?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

astral posted:

Did you clear the NVRAM after you flashed it with dd-wrt?
Whoops, didn't realize this was a thing. OK, I tried "30/30/30" and well, it didn't seem to fully initialize/boot after the last 30, until another power cycle, not sure if that's normal. But anyways after that it seemed to have same crashing issues.

Also I realized that I am able to connect to telnet as long as I do it after rebooting and before crashing the web interface. So I ran "erase nvram" then "reboot". Still unstable. Then I read that it should actually be "nvram erase && reboot" so I tried that too.

I've now read that clearing NVRAM should be done *before* and *after* every upgrade/flash? Before flashing dd-wrt, I had to downgrade the factory image from 1.0.1.14 to 1.0.0.12 because Netgear put some check in the later firmware that blocks alternative firmwares somehow. Did I screw up by not clearing NVRAM before/after the factory downgrade as well as the switch to dd-wrt?

I don't understand the need for any of this, why can't it clear its own drat self after a reflash.
I'm starting to remember why I gave up on custom firmware years ago.

Edit: I just noticed another thing: On the main web interface status page, my "LAN MAC" and "Wireless MAC" are identical... I don't think that's normal? I've been trying this whole time to just disable the drat wireless on this anyways, as I have separate hardware for that.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 6, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Whoops, didn't realize this was a thing. OK, I tried "30/30/30" and well, it didn't seem to fully initialize/boot after the last 30, until another power cycle, not sure if that's normal. But anyways after that it seemed to have same crashing issues.

Also I realized that I am able to connect to telnet as long as I do it after rebooting and before crashing the web interface. So I ran "erase nvram" then "reboot". Still unstable. Then I read that it should actually be "nvram erase && reboot" so I tried that too.

I've now read that clearing NVRAM should be done *before* and *after* every upgrade/flash? Before flashing dd-wrt, I had to downgrade the factory image from 1.0.1.14 to 1.0.0.12 because Netgear put some check in the later firmware that blocks alternative firmwares somehow. Did I screw up by not clearing NVRAM before/after the factory downgrade as well as the switch to dd-wrt?

I don't understand the need for any of this, why can't it clear its own drat self after a reflash.
I'm starting to remember why I gave up on custom firmware years ago.

Edit: I just noticed another thing: On the main web interface status page, my "LAN MAC" and "Wireless MAC" are identical... I don't think that's normal? I've been trying this whole time to just disable the drat wireless on this anyways, as I have separate hardware for that.

ah DD-WRT. What a poo poo show. When you say it didn't seem to fully boot after flashing, how long were you waiting? The claimed "120s" or whatever for my Asus was actually something like 20-30 minutes. I gave up and did something else and came back to it working. And basically, always be zapping nvram. Don't worry, eventually dd-wrt will kill it permanently and in 2-3 years you will buy a new one.

You're sure this didn't work? https://kb.netgear.com/30510/How-do-I-set-static-Domain-Name-System-servers-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

H110Hawk posted:

ah DD-WRT. What a poo poo show

Yeah, and the wiki is a hell world of out-of-date, contradictory, and/or incomplete advice scattered everywhere.

H110Hawk posted:

When you say it didn't seem to fully boot after flashing, how long were you waiting?
I feel like I gave it maybe 15 minutes. The topmost (power light?) was regularly blinking on/off green, not sure what was going on.

Yeah. BTW, this is where I got the idea to try dd-wrt: https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/issues/458

I think i'm gonna give OpenWRT a try, and if that doesn't work, I'll revert to factory and just set DNS manually on each individual device, or maybe get a new router.