Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol trump got bullied out of the oval office by mean reporters

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1178742789582000128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

TulliusCicero posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how could a "Castle Defense" possibly apply here? It's not her "castle" or home for gently caress sakes, she drunkenly broke into someone else's house and shot them dead when they were unarmed.

Because the judge said it can apply! How? White person, that's how.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

TulliusCicero posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how could a "Castle Defense" possibly apply here? It's not her "castle" or home for gently caress sakes, she drunkenly broke into someone else's house and shot them dead when they were unarmed.

She thought it was her home. That's the whole defense.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

Couldn't find a corner to hide in, huh

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My only hope is that considering the "castle defense" refers to the man who died. Like anything he may have done to "defend himself/threaten her" would be warranted.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

evilweasel posted:

How does he not fall over holy crap

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Well you see, she thought it was her house, and apparently that's good enough (even while drunk).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

CascadeBeta posted:

She thought it was her home. That's the whole defense.

The guy's apartment was cluttered, hers was not. He had a big table by the front door, she didn't. He also had a big red floormat, which she didn't have.

The more I see about the case the more pissed off I get tbh.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

the article didn't have a lot of info but my guess at what the defense is going for is to try to make her actions in shooting him seem more reasonable under the law as part of a push to get manslaughter (the idea being that because it wasn't her house is why it's manslaughter and not murder)

this is probably to patch up some brazen lies about what she actually did (she has given the usual "i told him to stop, show his hands, and he lunged at me!" police story but all neighbors say she didn't, and the bullet wounds are consistent with him not being standing up) that make it clear she didn't actually even think she was acting in legitimate self defense

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah her defense is garbage even if it was your place why the gently caress are you unloading on someone the second you see them.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/vaisfourlovers/status/1178390921416601600

Debate & Discussion > USPOL Fall: Ukraine Clown Posse

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

How does he not fall over holy crap

Whoever called trump a “centaur missing it’s back half” nailed that poo poo so hard. It’s all I can see.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah her defense is garbage even if it was your place why the gently caress are you unloading on someone the second you see them.

texas

it's garbage for reasonable people but it's loving texas and she's got a jury of, presumably, texans

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

i bet if he strokes out into a vegetative state pence only takes power as acting president rather than formally getting sworn in, because trump's base won't believe dear leader isn't gonna wake up

that would make for an amazing election

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Morbus posted:

lmao apparently it doesn't matter whose castle you're in when applying castle doctrine

No the Castle Doctrine is to justify that the cop feared for her life after breaking into someone else's apartment. She knew she was trespassing and in Texas you are allowed to shoot trespassers ergo the cop was justified to use deadly force.

Such a blatant farce of a trial. She should serve the maximum term for her crime, but you have to worship cops in America so we cant convict one.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Modern American self-defense law doesn't seem to be as much about any sort of unifying principles so much as it is a set of tools that can be applied in isolation to get the desired result.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ripoff posted:

Whoever called trump a “centaur missing it’s back half” nailed that poo poo so hard. It’s all I can see.

Though he behaves entirely like the back half of a centaur.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TulliusCicero posted:

she's a cop and we can't start punishing cops for murdering innocents or they might not murder innocents for us anymore

logger posted:

No the Castle Doctrine is to justify that the cop feared for her life after breaking into someone else's apartment. She knew she was trespassing and in Texas you are allowed to shoot trespassers ergo the cop was justified to use deadly force.

Such a blatant farce of a trial. She should serve the maximum term for her crime, but you have to worship cops in America so we cant convict one.

I feel like we need mandatory sentencing for cops or something

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Modern American self-defense law doesn't seem to be as much about any sort of unifying principles so much as it is a set of tools that can be applied in isolation to get the desired result.

there's self defense law in gunfetishist states, and then there's self-defense law in sane states. in gunfetishist states self-defense laws are deliberately expanded to legalize the gunfetishist fantasy of shooting someone "legitimately"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1178746337074073601

So important distinction from some of the other impeachment polls. 47% of those polled already believe that Trump should be impeached and removed from office. This is with impeachment inquiry barely even under way. There is no way this is sustainable for the GOP to continue to support him in lockstep.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

evilweasel posted:

there's self defense law in gunfetishist states, and then there's self-defense law in sane states. in gunfetishist states self-defense laws are deliberately expanded to legalize the gunfetishist fantasy of shooting someone "legitimately"

just change the last three words to 'shooting non-whites'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

logger posted:

Ah, so it's not that murder is legal, it's that home invasion is legal if and only if you outgun the other guy

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

haveblue posted:

Ah, so it's not that murder is legal, it's that home invasion is legal if and only if you outgun the other guy

Murder is legal for cops

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

No Safe Word posted:

Though he behaves entirely like the back half of a centaur.

All that horseshit has to go somewhere.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

The tradition of manifest destiny lives on

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

logger posted:

i'm pretty sure this is not the way even texas law works

generally if you created the situation threatening your life you can't use deadly force (i.e. I can't run up and punch you, then if you wind up to punch me back shoot you in "self-defense"). i believe this applies even in legal backwaters like texas.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1178726911414923264

https://mobile.twitter.com/BSO/status/1178713956040560646

quote:

Stacey Dash is a co-chair of the Trump campaign's Women for Trump advisory board

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

evilweasel posted:

generally if you created the situation threatening your life you can't use deadly force (i.e. I can't run up and punch you, then if you wind up to punch me back shoot you in "self-defense"). i believe this applies even in legal backwaters like texas.

it shouldn't work that way here in Texas but apparently Judge Tammy Kemp thinks it should

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

So important distinction from some of the other impeachment polls. 47% of those polled already believe that Trump should be impeached and removed from office. This is with impeachment inquiry barely even under way. There is no way this is sustainable for the GOP to continue to support him in lockstep.

We've already seen some cracks in that armor, too. This very well could be the last week or two of trump's presidency, I mean it also might get dragged out horrendously for the next several months, but at this point anything could happen.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

No Safe Word posted:

it shouldn't work that way here in Texas but apparently Judge Tammy Kemp thinks it should

i'm reluctant to infer exactly what the ruling was without more details, and the tweets that are the basis of the article do not have them. i think it's more likely bolstering the manslaughter defense

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

even the saner states have the castle doctrine. duty to retreat (not just in public as it is in the sander states) should be the standard but only vermont and DC have it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1178743958597505025

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I don't know the laws in texas, whether or not it's an objective or subjective test, but the defense is suggesting she believed she was in her own home, therefore she had a right to shoot the intruder. I think that if it's an objective standard, the evidence would suggest that it was unreasonable for her to use force, due to the differing layouts of the apartment, her being on the wrong floor etc. If it's subjective, then all the defense would have to show is that she personally believed she was in her apartment at the time of the shooting. That's a really, really low bar to cross and could get her off. It also opens up a legal mess for future cases.

Stand your ground is still loving dumb as hell and the test should ideally be something like this, from Canada's Criminal Code

34 (1) A person is not guilty of an offence if
(a) they believe on reasonable grounds that force is being used against them or another person or that a threat of force is being made against them or another person;
(b) the act that constitutes the offence is committed for the purpose of defending or protecting themselves or the other person from that use or threat of force; and
(c) the act committed is reasonable in the circumstances.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mahoning posted:

holy poo poo

This helps clarify what percentage of people are on board with impeachment but not necessarily removal yet and what percentage are also already on the removal train. That we're already seeing almost half of Americans already saying just throw the bum out before we've even started hearings alters some calculations significantly.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

hm, I hope the prosecution pointed out that under Stand Your Ground / Castle Doctrine, the victim had no duty or responsibility to retreat and even if he was moving towards the officer, he was justified in doing so.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Mahoning posted:

20 point swing in the first week lmao he's fried

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I feel like we need mandatory sentencing for cops or something

In 2000AD the Judges - written as an explicit satire and condemnation of fascist policing - are subjected to vastly harsher penalties for crimes than citizens are. I think there's an example at some point of a crime that gets a regular guy five years in prison, but a judge gets like 25 years on Ganymede in conditions so brutal he has to undergo extensive cyberneticization to survive there. Also we regularly see corrupt judges get caught and punished.

My point is that the explicitly fascist satire holds its cops to a much higher standard than the real America.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Quorum posted:

holy poo poo

This helps clarify what percentage of people are on board with impeachment but not necessarily removal yet and what percentage are also already on the removal train. That we're already seeing almost half of Americans already saying just throw the bum out before we've even started hearings alters some calculations significantly.

eh this poll shows consolidating anti-trump voters behind removal from office, but no more. the other polls have been much more significant, I think.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

The lunatic states seem to have this situation where it doesn't matter if the circumstances required for self-defense actually apply so long as you sincerely (not necessarily reasonably) believe that they apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can't get over him calling the phone call "perfect", of all the idiosyncrasies of Trumps speech this is by far the funniest.

Like I really want to know what he thinks a perfect phone call is.