Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Also, Starship Troopers.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The original version of that image is about WH40K

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mister Speaker posted:

The kid that showed me Aliens also ended up joining the USMC right out of highschool too (and we're Canadian). But I couldn't say for sure that it was just the depiction of the USCM in the movie; he was into a lot of other war stuff and also not very mentally stable as a teenager.

I joined the Marines (delayed entry), then saw Aliens, then went to boot camp.

The movie didn't exactly make me thrilled about my decision, but I went through with it, figuring it was a way out of a failing factory town in New Jersey.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cessna posted:

I joined the Marines (delayed entry), then saw Aliens, then went to boot camp.

The movie didn't exactly make me thrilled about my decision, but I went through with it, figuring it was a way out of a failing factory town in New Jersey.

I could really see Hudson or someone having this exact backstory

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fun fact: Vasquez and Drake both signed up for the USCM as a way to get their sentences from juvenile detention waived.

As for Hudson, according to Xenopedia (paraphrasing from the ‘Aliens’ movie novelization):

quote:

Hudson was not a career soldier — he joined the Colonial Marines on a 10-year deployment chiefly for the pension he would receive at the end of his service.[8] With this money, he intended to open a bar, hire an experienced manager to run it for him, and retire on the profits.[8]

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

As for Hudson, according to Xenopedia (paraphrasing from the ‘Aliens’ movie novelization):

Lol, he’s comparatively lucky he died

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I want to see that as a series of still frames during the end credits.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

Yes, right before “Hicks and Newt died on the way back to their home planet”

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mad Hamish posted:

I did something similar for ‘Alien’:

https://youtu.be/20wsNqmTPxI

skasion posted:

Yes, right before “Hicks and Newt died on the way back to their home planet”

lol :smith:

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
What's all this talk about "Alien 3" and "Resurrection" and whatnot? There is no such thing. The only movies ever made were Alien and Aliens, and I'm willing to die on this hill. Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop are still peacefully sleeping in their pods.

My dad took me to see Alien at its theatrical release in 1979. I was 9 years old. This movie hosed me up so bad that I'm pushing 50 now and still shaking it off.

It was a big theater with a monstrous curved screen and we saw it on 70MM. By the time they made it into the chamber with the eggs I was about to have a heart attack, and after the chest bursting scene I was done. Dad repeatedly tried to reassure me that it wasn't real, just a movie, but it made no difference. I was trying to play it cool for him, not squirming or screaming or the like, but after that I was like, "I can't be in here. I'll wait in the lobby."

I've never been so glad to see sunlight in my life. It was an afternoon showing and the lobby was huge, giant windows everywhere. As I walked around, trying to reassemble my shattered mind, this theater employee came up to me. He could tell I was distressed and was presumably wondering what the hell a little kid was doing at this movie.

I don't remember exactly what was said, but he reexplained the whole "it's not real" thing and offerred to show me the projection room so I could see that it's just light and film and a big screen. So I did. I followed this unknown dude down a hall and up some stairs and into the projection room, and I'll be damned if it not only eased my fear a little but also birthed my love for movies. I rememeber looking through the window into the theater and picking out my dad in his seat, and realizing that it really was just a big illusion.

(Can you imagine this today? A little kid following a stranger into a projection room? Poor guy would die in a hail of bullets.)

But I still had nightmares for years, like "wake up screaming in the middle of the night" nightmares. I couldn't walk into a room, dark or not, without checking the ceiling first for a facehugger. They faded over time but to this day I still have a nightmare once a year or so.

To be fair, my dad was a great dad and we were best friends throughout his life. I was the first kid and I think he was still figuring out the whole "what's appropriate for a 9-year-old" thing, no doubt with the help of some choice words from mom. In hindsight I think it was a bit of a dick move not to offer to come out to the lobby with me, but it's been so long I can't be sure. Plus, hey, it was Alien, so I can't really hold that grudge.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lossy Compression posted:

What's all this talk about "Alien 3" and "Resurrection" and whatnot? There is no such thing. The only movies ever made were Alien and Aliens, and I'm willing to die on this hill. Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop are still peacefully sleeping in their pods.

This video is for you:

https://youtu.be/hoRrZ3WCZD8

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
Yes, that's the stuff! Mr. Cameron, what's the holdup? We've got the script right here.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

immortalyawn posted:

Theres a particular whining sound in this gun effect that I have always kind of thought was made by the aliens attacking/being shot, a kind of screeching or elephant trumpeting violently sound

Mister Speaker posted:

The pitched sound of the full-auto fire in Aliens is one of my favourite little details ... more likely it's just gunfire run through a guitar flanger pedal or something.

Sounds more like playing several instances of the same sound so closely together that the waveforms overlap in such a way to create that weird screeching. I've just done the same thing to the Doom Shotgun sound:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1a85ud4wqjquhhl/DoomShotgun.mp3/file

Edit:
Fuggit, did the Chaingun too:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/thesae9spjj48dt/DoomChaingun.mp3/file

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 1, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mushika posted:

Dangit! I just rewatched Alien a few days ago and now I find out that a local theater is playing it on the big screen this week. It's just too soon! If it were Aliens, I'd watch that thing on a loop, but Alien just doesn't work that way. :(

If you don't see it I want you to address every single poster in this thread individually and write a short essay on why you decided to hurt them in such a way.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I like you new/rereg poster. Welcome to the Aliens thread.

This is 100% accurate to a dumb 18 year old who watched too many movies. Also yeah, Starship Troopers was what sealed the deal. And that's 10 times worse in terms of uh... casualties.

I could try to go into detail to explain why an 18 year old would see movies of Marines dying and then wanting to join the Marines but it would make as much sense as an 18 year old trying to explain why he'd want to join the Marines after seeing so many Marines/soldiers die.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I could try to go into detail to explain why an 18 year old would see movies of Marines dying and then wanting to join the Marines but it would make as much sense as an 18 year old trying to explain why he'd want to join the Marines after seeing so many Marines/soldiers die.

Millennials and/or zoomers wanting to die isn't exactly new or mysterious

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chunderbucket posted:

Millennials and/or zoomers wanting to die isn't exactly new or mysterious

:hmmyes:

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

I like you new/rereg poster. Welcome to the Aliens thread.

Hey thanks. I'm new, been lurking SA for years, seen Aliens come up a few times and figured it was time to take the plunge.

I just watched it again about a week ago, and I've been chewing on the whole "we can expect a rescue in 17 days" thing. If the trip to LV426 was long enough that everyone had to sleep in stasis, how can they possibly expect a rescue that soon?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

purple death ray posted:

I could really see Hudson or someone having this exact backstory

It’s either that or be a supporting character in a Springsteen song.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The transit from Earth to LV-426 wasn’t that long (two weeks, maybe?), but FTL travel is implied to do not-good things to the human body unless you’re in stasis. That, and being in stasis for those two weeks means that much less supplies that need to be brought, etc.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

The transit from Earth to LV-426 wasn’t that long (two weeks, maybe?), but FTL travel is implied to do not-good things to the human body unless you’re in stasis. That, and being in stasis for those two weeks means that much less supplies that need to be brought, etc.

In the director's cut, one of the colony officers says it takes 2 weeks just to get an answer from the company about something (and the answer is always "don't ask"). Makes me wonder if it actually takes that long for the message to travel to Earth, or does it get there quickly, and it just takes 2 weeks to work its way through the bureaucracy.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I think when Ripley asks how long can they expect a rescue after they are declared overdue that Bishop answers 17 days.

Edit, never mind, I’m an idiot who doesn’t read preceding posts.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Hey thanks. I'm new, been lurking SA for years, seen Aliens come up a few times and figured it was time to take the plunge.

I just watched it again about a week ago, and I've been chewing on the whole "we can expect a rescue in 17 days" thing. If the trip to LV426 was long enough that everyone had to sleep in stasis, how can they possibly expect a rescue that soon?

I always assumed the rescue was coming from somewhere other than Earth, some military ship doing its thing 17 days away

Kinda like if your boat is sinking you’d expect the nearest ship to assist

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Or just some sleepy truckers and their new science officer, NBD

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I think when Ripley asks how long can they expect a rescue after they are declared overdue that Bishop answers 17 days.

Edit, never mind, I’m an idiot who doesn’t read preceding posts.

But in A3, the company is able to get a ship to that planet in 2 hours once they found out ripley was hosting.

I think space travel in the Alien universe is a lot like the force in sw. You make it up as you go.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

My dad took me to see Alien at its theatrical release in 1979. I was 9 years old. This movie hosed me up so bad that I'm pushing 50 now and still shaking it off.

It's probably for the best that you went out to the lobby and had that cool projector booth experience, but if you had somehow managed to make it to the end of the movie the last couple shots of the creature might have helped cure your life-long fear of xenomorphs (I mean... if that's what you'd want...)

It used to be this infamously common story that people would talk about how Alien was just outrageously terrifying for them up until the second they got to the end where it became obvious the creature was just some guy in a suit, and while it did kill the suspense, it wasn't a bad thing because it was the very end of the movie anyway and it also gave them esteem-boosting satisfaction of having faced and ultimately conquered their fears.

There was an episode of the 90s cartoon Doug in which the title character returns to see a horror movie titled 'The Abnormal' multiple times because he keeps chickening out and bailing in the middle of the movie. At long last he makes it to the end and discovers he can see the zipper on the monster's suit and it hits him how he's been scared of something fake this whole time and it's all :3: . Yeah, pretty sure it was at least partly inspired by Alien.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that when it came to Aliens' final shot of the Queen flailing about in space, it seems like it was consciously trying to show that it was definitely, definitely not just a guy in a suit this time, thank you very much. :colbert:

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
Everytime I look around, I see
So much fakeness goin down
Alien's horror elements would overshadow it's science fiction if they weren't both used so well

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

But in A3, the company is able to get a ship to that planet in 2 hours once they found out ripley was hosting.

I think space travel in the Alien universe is a lot like the force in sw. You make it up as you go.

I'm guessing there are corporate ships stationed here and there that can make it to a place within an X number of days. Marines are low priority, so they can wait 17 days, but a massive boon to a top secret project they're trying to get off the ground? That poo poo gets priority, and they'll expedite a ship there within a matter of days.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I just listened to the decades of horror podcast (it's pretty decent) about Alien, I like hearing people remember their first experience with classics like that.

Quit yer griping.

I like griping.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It doesn't have to be like a, it's been 17 days, let's send out a ship from Earth to go find them. There's probably a few ships flying around maybe just doing patrols or something and if the Marines aren't heard from for maybe 15 days then they send a ship to rendezvous with them to see what's up.

They aren't able to send a distress signal so the 17 days is just procedure. No hear from... go get.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I like hearing people remember their first experience with classics like that.

My first time seeing it was pretty magical to me. I was maybe 7-8 years old and was at a huge party with my parents at a family friend's house. Big outdoor party with tables set up with all sorts of foods and appetizers in the middle of summer. Beautiful night. I remember seeing a smoked fish for my first time. It had the head on and everything and freaked me out but I'm a big boy so I tried it anyway. I didn't like it. Well they brought out a projector and big screen and they were watching things. First time I saw Jaws which got me obsessed with sharks for a few years. One of the best movies ever made imo. Anyway, we were really good friends with the family, like there's baby pictures of them holding me and I was good friends with their son who was my age. Brett is his name.

Well Mike, the dad, took us in the attic to look at all of the old movies. Some great classics like Dracula and old black and white stuff. Brett wanted to watch Superman but I saw a movie called Alien and thought that sounded fun. Obviously Mike didn't want to play Superman for a big party so we went with Alien. Little did I know what kind of movie that was.

We turned it on and I was into it from the beginning. Now I was about 7 so I didn't get too enthralled by the slow build up. It was 30 years ago so it's a bit fuzzy but my biggest memory was when Dallas ran into the alien in the shafts. That scared the poo poo out of me. I don't recall if it gave me nightmares but I was a really really anxious kid and had Freddy nightmares... well up until this day, so I can only imagine it kept me up at night.

That was my first foray into the Alien universe. I didn't see Aliens until a few years after that. But that whole Alien experience was just magical. Like remembering Christmas as a kid. I can remember the humidity, the smells of all of the food, the terror from the movie. Such a good memory.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

In hindsight I think it was a bit of a dick move not to offer to come out to the lobby with me, but it's been so long I can't be sure. Plus, hey, it was Alien, so I can't really hold that grudge.

Lossy Compression Jr.: "Dad.....dDad, I'm really scared, I.... I'm gonna go wait outside"

Lossy Compression Sr.: (silently pondering) Hmm, let's prioritize, ensure well being of child or finish watching a masterpiece potentially allowing said child to be abducted by some stranger who might gain his trust and lure him into a dark and isolated room....

Lossy Compression Jr.: "DAD! Did you hear me?"

Lossy Compression Sr.: "Shhh, yeah yeah keep it down, I'll see you later."

His decision checks out, you are right to not hold a grudge.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Turned out to be a fun experience. You got to see the film room which is always neat. That's where the magic happens! I worked at a movie theater for 3 years and I wanted to work that most of all because you're up there alone and don't have to deal with any customers. This was when there was actual film so my friend would teach me how to string the film through the 15 different wheels it has to go through. Never worked it though.

I'm glad you didn't get molested though. Your dad probably knew you'd be fine even though he raised a little bitch who walked out of one of the best movies ever made. :haw: Maybe not the most responsible thing to do but I guess it worked out. Times were different back then and you didn't have to worry about getting abducted as much. :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 2, 2019

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

I'm guessing there are corporate ships stationed here and there that can make it to a place within an X number of days. Marines are low priority, so they can wait 17 days, but a massive boon to a top secret project they're trying to get off the ground? That poo poo gets priority, and they'll expedite a ship there within a matter of days.

With the exact right makeup of people for the job at hand? Stationed around/near a prison planet with nothing of value on it. That only gets a drop ship every 6 months.

I find it easier to believe space travel is a made up concept, than a corporation has multiple groups of top personal stationed around dead space waiting for something to do.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I also don't think it's a coincidence that when it came to Aliens' final shot of the Queen flailing about in space, it seems like it was consciously trying to show that it was definitely, definitely not just a guy in a suit this time, thank you very much. :colbert:

Yeah but Aliens also has a few shots of the Queen that make it very obvious it's just the animatronic top half being wheeled around on a cart.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

Xenomrph posted:

... but FTL travel is implied to do not-good things to the human body unless you’re in stasis.

Is FTL travel part of the Alien universe? I'd assumed it wasn't, given how grungy/low-tech everything was. (Though I suppose if you have the technology for cryosleep, may as well throw in FTL too.)

They aren't able to send a distress signal so the 17 days is just procedure. No hear from... go get.

I guess this makes the most sense, paired with some sort of outpost within closer range of LV-426.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's probably for the best that you went out to the lobby and had that cool projector booth experience, but if you had somehow managed to make it to the end of the movie the last couple shots of the creature might have helped cure your life-long fear of xenomorphs (I mean... if that's what you'd want...)

I don't really remember when I finally saw the whole thing. I think I eventually pieced it together from multiple viewings during my late teens. Maybe TV/VHS? The fear of facehuggers hiding on ceilings easily lasted into my early teens. It wasn't until much later that I saw that final scene and thought yeah, that's a guy in a suit. But I don't regret leaving when I did at 9. My parents weren't horror fans particularly, and even if they were there was no way to really watch movies on-demand back then, so I had no real exposure to scary stuff as a kid. In hindsight I suppose there's a certain poetry to my first-ever scary sci-fi movie being the absolute best one of all time. Talk about a gut punch.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

My first time seeing it was pretty magical to me. I was maybe 7-8 years old and was at a huge party with my parents at a family friend's house.

You were 7-8?! Holy cow. How did our parents think this was an okay movie for a kid that age to see? I'm still figuring out when it's safe to show my kids Alien; one's 12 and the other's 28.

Your mention of Jaws is a weird coincidence. Alien was technically the second scary movie I ever saw, the first was Jaws. I saw it with my parents at a drive-in when I was 5. I think I was meant to be asleep, I only remembered parts of it, but the end scene where the shark ate Quint terrified me for months. The sight of blood coming out of someone's mouth was the most horrific thing I'd ever seen.

Turned out to be a fun experience. You got to see the film room which is always neat. That's where the magic happens! I worked at a movie theater for 3 years and I wanted to work that most of all because you're up there alone and don't have to deal with any customers.

Another coincidence, I worked at a theater too, 1985-ish I think. The biggest film we got while I was there was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I wasn't allowed to mess with the film either, but I'd sneak up there whenever I could. I was surprised to see that the film spooled on/off huge horizontal platters (vs. the classic little vertical reels).

:haw: Times were different back then and you didn't have to worry about getting abducted as much. :shrug:

Totally, I probably knew better but wasn't worried at the time. It was definitely a different era.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Is FTL travel part of the Alien universe? I'd assumed it wasn't, given how grungy/low-tech everything was. (Though I suppose if you have the technology for cryosleep, may as well throw in FTL too.)

I didn't want to mention it because I figured it'd cause a ruckus but I have this same feeling. I never got the impression that they had FTL travel. I fully understand that it's impossible to move to another.... "system" without having that but due to the low tech and shots of extremely slow moving ships I just never figured they had it.

Again, I get that in reality it'd be quite difficult to not have FTL travel but I just didn't feel that they had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

You were 7-8?! Holy cow. How did our parents think this was an okay movie for a kid that age to see? I'm still figuring out when it's safe to show my kids Alien; one's 12 and the other's 28.

Well I'm guessing everyone there, especially my parents, were drinking and it was the late 80s so it was a little different in regards to shielding your kids. Not that that's a bad thing. But you know.