Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Was starting to get a little bit more into Immersive Engineering (though I don't like how I have to basically cordon off a massive warehouse for all my poo poo), and then Better Questing seems to have broken permanently. That sucks.

Maybe one day I'll warm up to it, but I'm good for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of weird, Skyblock-adjacent packs, the guy who made the very odd but strangely enjoyable Volcano Block modpack recently released Glacial Awakening which is a very similar thing but snow and ice themed. It actually features an entire generated overworld and ores you can dig up but the cramped, closed-in start, breakout progression, and reliance on essentially getting something from nothing makes it a real outlier that feels more like Skyblock than a normal modpack. Early focus on mods like Roots and some other weird stuff, follows in Volcano Block's footsteps by exploring lesser-known mods like Hearth Well and relying on unorthodox crafting methods.
Worth a look, though I haven't gotten terribly far myself.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Speaking of weird, Skyblock-adjacent packs, the guy who made the very odd but strangely enjoyable Volcano Block modpack recently released Glacial Awakening which is a very similar thing but snow and ice themed. It actually features an entire generated overworld and ores you can dig up but the cramped, closed-in start, breakout progression, and reliance on essentially getting something from nothing makes it a real outlier that feels more like Skyblock than a normal modpack. Early focus on mods like Roots and some other weird stuff, follows in Volcano Block's footsteps by exploring lesser-known mods like Hearth Well and relying on unorthodox crafting methods.
Worth a look, though I haven't gotten terribly far myself.
Glacial Awakening's kinda cool (it's the first pack to pull me out of my "no more Minecraft" slump in a while) but after you eventually hit the point of needing power, you have to use Nature's Aura to generate your starter energy and that's a mod that stresses me out because like... I dunno, I hate chunk-based 'pollution' type mechanics, and it's largely entirely about that. Still, it seems to maintain the same level of involvement after that, it's just not a modpack I feel like continuing to play.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm watching a video series on Glacial Awakening and god there's a lot of poo poo in it. I really wish modpacks would focus more on the "small number of mechanics, large number of dynamics" approach rather than the kitchen sink approach.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IE is one of the rare tech mods that's both fairly complicated, and also works seamlessly in VR because the machines are just multiblocks you assemble from a couple things in the world itself, and also most of the interface is "throw block into machine/conveyor", rather than constantly working with weirdo pipes and 2D interfaces.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OgNar posted:

Craft of the Titans guy gave his unreleased newest modpack to someone to play.

Seablock Rustic Waters

Only 15m in but looks good so far.
Wasn't the Blightfall guy working on a water based pack also?

Maybe we'll get 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tYXW_0yIvE
Okay but like, when do we unimportant people actually get to play it?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Hadn't heard of Craft of the Titans before but it looks interesting. How does CotT2 stack up to 1?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Vib Rib posted:

Okay but like, when do we unimportant people actually get to play it?

Dunno, I watched the whole vid and he mentions that it is still in alpha stage.
So might be awhile and the recipes that were shown didnt look ridiculous which is good.

Though at the end it does look like there might be a surface to the water.

Also a seamoth is mentioned which sounds cool.

e:So thats the Better Diving mod, which looks kinda cool to add to other modpacks.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/better-diving

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 30, 2019

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Patware posted:

Hadn't heard of Craft of the Titans before but it looks interesting. How does CotT2 stack up to 1?

There are a lot of things better about 2 and newer mods but I just didn't get into it as much as the first. Defending on horde night was a ton of fun for my friend and I with our dozen or so potato gun turrets sitting in our tiny bunker shooting out of arrow holes until morning.
The second one has you move to a new dimension early on so don't spend a ton of time setting up in the gas station you start in, just knock out the first chapter and move on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How's performance in RLCraft? I actually had to pass on Dungeons, Dragons, and Space Stations because my computer doesn't have the RAM to even load it properly, and I heard RL is a real hog.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Vib Rib posted:

How's performance in RLCraft? I actually had to pass on Dungeons, Dragons, and Space Stations because my computer doesn't have the RAM to even load it properly, and I heard RL is a real hog.

Ran badly on mine but I didn't try turning off all the shaders and foliage like some of the streamers did.
It'd probably be ok without some of that on. Dragons are laggy though.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I have been for the last 5 years fighting with bukkit plugins that work on 1.2.5-1.7.10 but the network owner has been pushing for me to expand it to 1.12.2 and I have been struggling due to the huge changes, Now he has arranged a new more active dev to take over, but the dev is very toxic and takes every opportunity to denegrate me if i even just utter a word. I want to keep doing minecraft stuff but not in that toxic environment, Has anyone any suggestions what I can do?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

get out immediately, rather than finding somewhere to jump to before you go

after that idk, "minecraft stuff" is rather vague

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheresaJayne posted:

I have been for the last 5 years fighting with bukkit plugins that work on 1.2.5-1.7.10 but the network owner has been pushing for me to expand it to 1.12.2 and I have been struggling due to the huge changes, Now he has arranged a new more active dev to take over, but the dev is very toxic and takes every opportunity to denegrate me if i even just utter a word. I want to keep doing minecraft stuff but not in that toxic environment, Has anyone any suggestions what I can do?

Bail and don’t look back. No gaming is always better than bad gaming.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also, always name and shame imo

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

OgNar posted:

Dunno, I watched the whole vid and he mentions that it is still in alpha stage.
So might be awhile and the recipes that were shown didnt look ridiculous which is good.

Though at the end it does look like there might be a surface to the water.

Also a seamoth is mentioned which sounds cool.

e:So thats the Better Diving mod, which looks kinda cool to add to other modpacks.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/better-diving

Better Diving is amazing. Subnautica swimming mechanics in Minecraft; swim in the direction you face, just float in place when you're not swimming. Paddle along the surface without having to bob in and out of the water! The only problem with the Seamoth is it doesn't have a floodlight (for sad but obvious reasons).

I'm also really really looking forward to Seablock, it looks neat.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I was really enjoying Antimatter Chemistry and it just nosedived into unplayable. Made a bunch of manyullyn armor, demonic sword, then went to Atum for the first time. I spawned under an assassin poisoning me and then had to mow through him and enough other guys between the portal and the nearest pyramid to give me 2 full stacks of lootboxes. My armor and sword are hosed to hell and now I have to deal with unavoidable fire and poison traps before fighting an absurdly powerful boss.

Is there a way to fix the ridiculous spawn rate or am I just going to have to shelve this poo poo?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Google searching for any kind of guide on RLcraft yields nothing but a mostly empty and useless wiki. Does a mod with so many people playing it really have no written guides? I just wanted to know how to use the saw... :negative: Or how to build crates because there is no recipe in the side bar when I click them (I saw a video with someone using them though.) Or how to pick up full chests and carry them around, which I saw another video of someone doing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RLCraft looks miserable.

I really wish modded Minecraft had a better sense of game design. Most of what I hear about it (and a lot of my own experience) is griping.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

RLCraft looks miserable.

I really wish modded Minecraft had a better sense of game design. Most of what I hear about it (and a lot of my own experience) is griping.

Few modders or pack assemblers are game designers, unfortunately. It's rare to find one that has even a hobbyist-level awareness of game design.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, I get it. I had some musings around making modpacks themed around RPG classes, where the mods are used as answers to the question “how do you solve your problems” in the style of said RPG classes, and that poo poo is hard to put together properly. But there’s clearly a better experience than a barely cobbled-together kitchen sink or another goddamn skyblock.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I saw BFSR coming up. Nothing has happened with it for a long time here. I did an initial burst some months ago, but tied up with prepping for interviews, finishing up an outdoor project, and finishing up some other dangling bits. I'm pretty behind on what is good and right any more and would probably have to mess around on some goon kitchen sink server or something to even get a handle on what The Cool Kids are doing these days.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah RLcraft is pretty much just another one of those weird nerd projects obsessed with difficulty it seems.

And I 100% agree with you on the state of modpacks in general. I basically just want an RPGish pack that has nice survival and expanded building elements. I liked Tinkers Construct, for example, because of the modular way that it worked and how there were so many things you could work your way up to building. I also liked stuff like Harvestcraft with all the food it added, but most packs either didn't really do anything with food at all, making all the stuff you could grow pointless, or, they completely over did it with regards to adding "realistic diets" or whatever, making food a chore. And unfortunately there are way too many megapacks that have way too many mods in them, most of which I am not even interested in.

I wouldn't mind RLcraft, with the survival stuff tuned way down, and with Harvestcraft stuff implemented in a way that encourages you to find and grow more things, without making eating tedious.* Maybe throw in something like Tinkers again, even if it is much simpler. I just liked the progression of materials in that. And how you could buff items and also had alternative materials to use for various things, like not needing feathers to make arrows. It was also cool to get a big smelter going.

*The way I'd like to see it, different foods and drinks would have different overall effects, with some simply being more filling, and others perhaps giving you relatively long lasting, but simple buffs. For example, a buff that increases the rate at which medical supplies can heal you, or increase the amount of HP you recover while sleeping. Or a buff that increases your resistance to poison, etc.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think my core problem with most of the "it's SO HARD" packs is they don't usually seem to have added... progression

like is the plan just that it's hard to get to the end and kill the dragon? is that all you got for me? you gotta step it up. i cracked open RLCraft and dicked around for a while but didn't have any clear idea what i was supposed to do that was actually interesting in between being killed by mobs wandering by, spawning a million miles away into the ocean, and wandering too close to any fire at all so that my game lagged catastrophically

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The problem with most modpacks is that they have no direction. There’s no unifying design strategy around what functionality to add or remove from the game, what the core conceit of the pack is, or how the additional functionality is meant to bolster the core conceit of the pack. Individual mods succeed at this because they are tightly focused on evoking a particular play style or aesthetic - Thaumcraft and Tinkers make you feel like an artificer, Botania and Roots make you feel like a druid, Astral Sorcery and AbyssalCraft make you feel like a diviner mucking with eldritch cosmic forces, etc.

Modpacks, on the other hand, tend to just be packs of mods with nothing but a quest book to link them together. There’s no cohesion or direction, and they end up being formless collections of mods that at best tolerate each other and never work together to become more than the sum of their parts.

There’s rarely a reason to play a modpack itself as opposed to just reasons to play with the individual mods in it. That’s why they tend to suck.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

abyssalcraft mostly makes me feel like i'm a little stressed and then i start hitting the other realms and it makes me feel like someone with a headache

and then i get an MRE that leaves a dirty plate and i wonder what the designer was even trying to do with some of this knock-on stuff that doesn't belong

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven’t delved very deep into AbyssalCraft, to be fair, but at least it has a point to it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

beefart posted:

I was really enjoying Antimatter Chemistry and it just nosedived into unplayable. Made a bunch of manyullyn armor, demonic sword, then went to Atum for the first time. I spawned under an assassin poisoning me and then had to mow through him and enough other guys between the portal and the nearest pyramid to give me 2 full stacks of lootboxes. My armor and sword are hosed to hell and now I have to deal with unavoidable fire and poison traps before fighting an absurdly powerful boss.

Is there a way to fix the ridiculous spawn rate or am I just going to have to shelve this poo poo?

I don't know anything about Atum but you could try:
1, lighting up the place
2, digging underground and making a tunnel or otherwise blocking line of sight between you and all the other mobs on the way. A trench might work for this too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Antimatter Chemistry went from SpaceChem 101 to “STORM THE NETHER AND PILLAGE THE PIGMEN’S LOOT” so it just confuses the gently caress out of me. What are you, modpack?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Do you really need direction in a sandbox game, though? I'm not sure I get why people aren't just building things for the sake of building things and going to look at other people's things if they get bored with that? It's not like you need to even touch every mod in a kitchen sink pack. Usually I end up just focusing on one side of things, or making roads/transportation of some sort between people's bases.

That to me is the big appeal, you can diversify and let your group work on different parts, and people can ignore the things they aren't interested in, and in the end you get some wonderful builds out of it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Do you really need direction in a sandbox game, though? I'm not sure I get why people aren't just building things for the sake of building things and going to look at other people's things if they get bored with that? It's not like you need to even touch every mod in a kitchen sink pack. Usually I end up just focusing on one side of things, or making roads/transportation of some sort between people's bases.

That to me is the big appeal, you can diversify and let your group work on different parts, and people can ignore the things they aren't interested in, and in the end you get some wonderful builds out of it.

This is fine and all on a multiplayer server...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I agree with a lot of the talk about modpacks too often being directionless, and would add on that many even relatively focused progress packs (skyblocks included) veer off into weird directions by midgame, and then just go all-in on Avaritia and the like at the end because they assume you want 95% of your playthrough to be spent on the last 5 quests.

Spice of Life plus Spice of Life: Carrot edition is a good answer to people who want Harvestcraft diversity, because it's a pretty light touch. Spice of Life forces you to rotate your diet, but the penalties aren't too punitive if you need to double up now and then, and the Carrot edition lets you get extra hearts as you sample new foods. It can be a whole playthrough-long thing at that rate, with over 1000 foods in Harvestcraft you can give yourself a new heart every 50 foods or so and do pretty well for it.
I also use a timed cooldown for diet restrictions rather than limiting it to number of foods eaten. The former encourages spacing things out but lets you stretch foods much longer if you're doing work around your base and not eating as much, because the limit of 5 minecraft days or whatever rolls by with less eaten, whereas the latter, in practice, just makes me chow down on raw crops in between to space out my meals and feels more like an exploit.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
"Direction" is another reason why I think early SevTech worked out well. You start banging rocks to make sharper rocks, and...most of the direction makes sense. Build up to better rocks, learn how to agriculture, invent the wheel and eventually enter the age of copper, learn how to make bronze, then make some weird slight detours for magic but eventually get basic machines through windmills and watermills (much as I dislike some of the actual mechanics to it, the better with mods stuff was a great idea for that age), progress into full industrialization, and then...well, then things kinda come apart. But the "ages" system gave it direction.

Likewise, Blightfall was great at giving you direction that made sense for what was happening in-game.

I think a lot of modpacks lack that direction because they're not trying to build any sort of narrative experience. It's just practices in automation, with a new gimmick, or new mods to automate.

...lovely modpacks are the STEMlords of Minecraft :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Not literal direction, design direction. The answers to the questions “what do we add” and “what do we take away”.

Edit for content: I figured out my BQ woes and now I'm staring down the barrel of Woot. I want to die a little.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 30, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I think a lot of modpacks lack that direction because they're not trying to build any sort of narrative experience. It's just practices in automation, with a new gimmick, or new mods to automate.
The majority of modpacks are just using the same mods as all the other ones because you just make modpacks. I've seen people say they use so many overlapping mods because "they want people to play their own way."

Which, sure, fine, but at that point I might as well just take the top 100 mods on Twitch and dump them in a pack myself because that's all most of these are. Maybe with some gag/hardcore mod on the very off chance that a streamer picks it up.

Pollyanna posted:

Not literal direction, design direction. The answers to the questions “what do we add” and “what do we take away”.
I've had some fun with self-imposed modpack building challenges. "Can I make a good pack with no overlapping mods that still has a good variety of things to do?" "Can I make a modpack with zero tech mods?" "Can I make a fun pack with only five content modlines?"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Woot guidebook has a completely incorrect list of blocks needed to make the Tier 1 factory, so that's that pack done. :shepicide:

Yeah, I dunno. I think I've gotten well acquainted with all the major/well known mods, and I'm just not finding a lot of good modpacks. It's slim pickings, and I think I've more or less hit the bottom of the barrel.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

McFrugal posted:

I don't know anything about Atum but you could try:
1, lighting up the place
2, digging underground and making a tunnel or otherwise blocking line of sight between you and all the other mobs on the way. A trench might work for this too.

Should have probably mentioned that a lot of the Atum blocks are unbreakable.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

beefart posted:

Should have probably mentioned that a lot of the Atum blocks are unbreakable.

Well you could (though this is much more annoying) build a tunnel on the surface. Or a bridge high enough that the mobs can't reach you.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

The problem with most modpacks is that they have no direction. There’s no unifying design strategy around what functionality to add or remove from the game, what the core conceit of the pack is, or how the additional functionality is meant to bolster the core conceit of the pack. Individual mods succeed at this because they are tightly focused on evoking a particular play style or aesthetic - Thaumcraft and Tinkers make you feel like an artificer, Botania and Roots make you feel like a druid, Astral Sorcery and AbyssalCraft make you feel like a diviner mucking with eldritch cosmic forces, etc.

Modpacks, on the other hand, tend to just be packs of mods with nothing but a quest book to link them together. There’s no cohesion or direction, and they end up being formless collections of mods that at best tolerate each other and never work together to become more than the sum of their parts.

There’s rarely a reason to play a modpack itself as opposed to just reasons to play with the individual mods in it. That’s why they tend to suck.

Having taken a couple good swings at a building a modpack with a direction, the first takeaway (as I work on designs for another that's even more tightly focused and directed) is that it's hard as gently caress to do, and then maintain. There's really a ton of effort that goes into figuring out your design direction, then finding mods that make it possible to do, and configuring/tweaking those mods to serve your purpose.

Even something as conceptually simple as configuring a competitor mod to Spice of Life (it's called Nutrition and is even more carrot-before-stick than SoL:CE) so that every food provided by Harvestcraft contributes to a selection of positive effects (eat lots of Spicy food to gain native Fire Resistance!) is a huge loving undertaking solo. And once you start to assemble a team to spread out the work, then you have to manage that team yourself, which is...WORK.

Making modpacks is work. Even the most asinine, IT'S SO HARDCORE EXPERT Skyblock hellfuck has just a shitload of work that goes into it.

This isn't to say the work justifies or excuses the utter lack of direction and fun; what I'm getting at is that even making a lovely modpack needs a lot of work and attention. Making a good modpack is more work on top of that, and making one that's truly great is INSANE.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've had some fun with self-imposed modpack building challenges. "Can I make a good pack with no overlapping mods that still has a good variety of things to do?" "Can I make a modpack with zero tech mods?" "Can I make a fun pack with only five content modlines?"

Self-imposed modpack assembly challenge == focused design direction. Simple is good; saying "Create a chill, village life modpack containing no more than X mods as reported by the text in the corner of the main menu" results in a focused, small, lightweight modpack that includes the essentials of the experience even if you don't go to the effort of customizing crafting recipes.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

Self-imposed modpack assembly challenge == focused design direction. Simple is good; saying "Create a chill, village life modpack containing no more than X mods as reported by the text in the corner of the main menu" results in a focused, small, lightweight modpack that includes the essentials of the experience even if you don't go to the effort of customizing crafting recipes.
Right now I'm sort of working on an all-magic pack with no village generation (but it does have Minecolonies), no mods that add tons of new ores, and no Tinkers-style tool mods. So far I have it based around Astral Sorcery, Nature's Aura, and Arcane Archives (a new-ish storage mod).

I still feel like I could add more, though. Like a decent extra gear mod, or something that adds spells. But then that just makes me worried about scope creep.