Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

SirPhoebos posted:

I just got through with my first playthrough of CK2, and I want to convert it to EU4. I did the basic conversion, but there are some tweaks I'd like to do my countries National Ideas (it gave me Crusader Jerusalem, and if you've been reading my posts in the CK2 thread you'd know why that might not be appropriate).

Is there a guide to modifying the conversion file? Also I'm not sure where the mod is being saved.

I haven't a clue about national ideas, but the conversions usually land in My Documents\Crusader Kings II\eu4_export

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Railway Empire, and now I demand that Vicky 3 let us research, design, and manufacture locomotives with a Man the Guns style system.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I've been playing Railway Empire, and now I demand that Vicky 3 let us research, design, and manufacture locomotives with a Man the Guns style system.

How is that, compared to Railroad Tycoon 2?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GrossMurpel posted:

How is that, compared to Railroad Tycoon 2?
Not as crunchy economically but it tries. Looks really good and route laying is pretty ok. It was released as balanced for ghost trains with solid trains requiring signalling being a bonus difficulty for the player so buying a company was a total non starter unless you wanted to liquidate the whole thing. But now it's balanced for solids trains and the AI knows how to lay signalled track. Not well, but you can theoretically buy them and run their lines. You can always play with ghost trains too.

They release a DLC every few months and the base game goes on sale for it so you can check it out really cheap if you're patient.

E. Turns out it's on sale for 30 more minutes so that probably explains why we're talking about it here but FYI.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

Not as crunchy economically but it tries. Looks really good and route laying is pretty ok. It was released as balanced for ghost trains with solid trains requiring signalling being a bonus difficulty for the player so buying a company was a total non starter unless you wanted to liquidate the whole thing. But now it's balanced for solids trains and the AI knows how to lay signalled track. Not well, but you can theoretically buy them and run their lines. You can always play with ghost trains too.

They release a DLC every few months and the base game goes on sale for it so you can check it out really cheap if you're patient.

E. Turns out it's on sale for 30 more minutes so that probably explains why we're talking about it here but FYI.

I don't know how it was a launch, but it's a really solid experience right now. Track building is very complex and you can do all sorts of stuff with switches. I never played Railroad Tycoon, so I can't compare it. Also, you can buy out the AI and just let them continue to operate and feed you their excess profits instead of expanding, which can be a good option on some maps. My favorite part is having all the historical steam engines. There are several dozen different kinds and you unlock them over time, or buy them at auction.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
ParadoxCon is coming up in a few weeks! Pumped here for the Victoria III announcement.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1178689967465340928

I'm guessing CK3.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

I'm guessing CK3.

If it is, I'm kinda dreading it. With all the backlash of Imperator feeling empty and lacking content, imagine the expectations for a CK3. Unless it has all the existing content, + more, the fans will probably take a dump on it. Victoria III is one of the few things they could make and "start fresh" without any major controversy. I really don't envy the situation Paradox has found itself in with player expectations of content due to games having been developed and supported for 5+ years being compared to new ones fresh out of the gate.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dramicus posted:

If it is, I'm kinda dreading it. With all the backlash of Imperator feeling empty and lacking content, imagine the expectations for a CK3. Unless it has all the existing content, + more, the fans will probably take a dump on it. Victoria III is one of the few things they could make and "start fresh" without any major controversy.

I mean at least the current events for ck2 are a good base to build upon for ck3 so it would be stupid to throw them out. As well besides like the new chargen from Imperator I'm not sure what a ck3 would need entirely, beyond just more events on top of the current. Like as a CK fan I wouldn't buy a new CK3 until it was as dense as CK2.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wow I can't believe linda had to fix up Victoria's secret, way to screw up your own game wiz

also it's totally going to Victoria 3 but under a different name

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Imperator: Victoria

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I hope it's a fantasy game. I've been wanting one basically since they announce Stellaris.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

I mean at least the current events for ck2 are a good base to build upon for ck3 so it would be stupid to throw them out. As well besides like the new chargen from Imperator I'm not sure what a ck3 would need entirely, beyond just more events on top of the current. Like as a CK fan I wouldn't buy a new CK3 until it was as dense as CK2.

Well when CK2 was first released, you couldn't play as anyone other than Christian lords. All the stuff we know and love about CK2 was added over a period of several years. At this point, they pretty much can't release ck3 unless all the currently playable nation-types are playable. They can't just start with Catholics in ck3 and spend another 5 years adding in features and charging people for them.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm betting new IP. A fantasy grand strategy.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well I just completely lost interest apart from the edge possibility it's a cold war game. No way could CK3 vanilla somehow be better than current CK2, and the only new IPs I'm really interested in would be Cold War or Bronze Age themed. I'm sure a fantasy GSG would have a market and be popular but it's not something I'm at all hype for.

Lol at everyone on Reddit going "it's not V3 it's Bismarck I" tho

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 30, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

Well I just completely lost interest apart from the edge possibility it's a cold war game

I would kill for a post-ww2 politics/economic focused game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I decided to do some internet snooping, seeing as how games as a medium regularly list the people who worked on them in credits, surely there's like an imdb-type thing out there.

turned up this.

Moby Games posted:

Game Credits (By Role)
Production
Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon (2017) (Producers)
Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization (2017) (Project Lead)
Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome (2017) (Project Lead)
Bionic Commando (2009) (Associate Producers)

Quality Assurance
Heavenly Sword (2007) (QA Manager)
Without Warning (2005) (Absolute Quality Europe [Europe] Ltd)

Thanks
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2004) (Special Thanks to)

Beep beep boop, zoom and enhance.

quote:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2004)

Cyberpunk future paradox game confirmed. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dramicus posted:

Well when CK2 was first released, you couldn't play as anyone other than Christian lords. All the stuff we know and love about CK2 was added over a period of several years. At this point, they pretty much can't release ck3 unless all the currently playable nation-types are playable. They can't just start with Catholics in ck3 and spend another 5 years adding in features and charging people for them.

Yeah basically a CK3 that tries to be bare bones just won't work today when you have CK2.

catlord posted:

I hope it's a fantasy game. I've been wanting one basically since they announce Stellaris.

Fantasy would be cool but that could go so many ways. I hope it's in the style of most games and not equal starts like Stellaris though since that's my least favorite part of the game. Also I'd love if it was classical fantasy and not medieval since I just bounced hard off of Imperator and I still want to enjoy some swords and sandals. :v:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Dramicus posted:

I would kill for a post-ww2 politics/economic focused game.

Same, I was so horny for the concept of East vs.West but then they started counting rivets instead of bushells of grain produced and explaining that the nuclear war mechanics were anything other than a game over screen.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if its not a cold war game or victoria 3 who the gently caress cares

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Crazycryodude posted:

Well I just completely lost interest apart from the edge possibility it's a cold war game

That's what I'm hoping for. I've been wondering for a while what the best "playable unit" would be to represent that era (head of dynasty in CK, nation state in EU). I'm thinking either a nation's intelligence or military-industrial apparatus. As a military- industrial apparatus your goal would be carefully nudging up world tension through proxy wars and the unveiling of new doomsday weapons in order to gain increasing sway over your host country's policy and budget, but without pushing things so far that you actually have to use all those earth shattering toys you've built. Playing as an intelligence apparatus would be similar but there would be more of a focus on actions you can take that are not actually fighting.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Count me in team fantasy, preferably high fantasy with a bunch of cool races and expensive but powerful magic, the whole thing! :neckbeard:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

Same, I was so horny for the concept of East vs.West but then they started counting rivets instead of bushells of grain produced and explaining that the nuclear war mechanics were anything other than a game over screen.

I think it's ironic that TNO will likely come closer to simulating a cold war game than paradox ever has. And those guys are all sorts of batshit crazy.

popewiles posted:

That's what I'm hoping for. I've been wondering for a while what the best "playable unit" would be to represent that era (head of dynasty in CK, nation state in EU). I'm thinking either a nation's intelligence or military-industrial apparatus. As a military- industrial apparatus your goal would be carefully nudging up world tension through proxy wars and the unveiling of new doomsday weapons in order to gain increasing sway over your host country's policy and budget, but without pushing things so far that you actually have to use all those earth shattering toys you've built. Playing as an intelligence apparatus would be similar but there would be more of a focus on actions you can take that are not actually fighting.

Probably the spirit of an ideology, I:E capitalist vs communist. That way, you could have nations fall and deal with revolutions, betrayals, etc and keep playing. Kind of like how the game doesn't end if you lose the throne in CK2, a cold war game could have you keep playing even if Russia collapses, for example. You play the spirit of communism and keep going until you cant, or vice versa. You might sacrifice North Korea if it means gaining West Germany, stuff like that.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So continuing the "it's all a board game anyway" track conversation, instead of EU, AxisvAllies, and 8th dimension chess, it's Twilight Struggle.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it'll be victoria 3 but it won't be called victoria 3, like how eu: rome 2 was called rome: imperator

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
lmao it's not going to be a post-ww2/cold war game in paradox's diplomatic mindset revolves entirely around an arbitary relationship number and day by day impulse dice rolls on actions

also when their definition of GSG is blobbing across the map, anyway.

it'll be ck3. no way they did something to directly compete with imperator like a fantasy game or even vicky

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eimi posted:

Yeah basically a CK3 that tries to be bare bones just won't work today when you have CK2.

I imagine they would want like 5+ years do no CK2 stuff for there be an audience for 3...

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
all i can tell you is that it wont be great

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Eimi posted:

Fantasy would be cool but that could go so many ways. I hope it's in the style of most games and not equal starts like Stellaris though since that's my least favorite part of the game. Also I'd love if it was classical fantasy and not medieval since I just bounced hard off of Imperator and I still want to enjoy some swords and sandals. :v:

Yeah, my hope is you have a bunch of options, then it generates a world based on those (the random world in CK2 would be a good starting point, but add more to it), so that you have at least a bit of history and some interesting, unequal starts. In my dream, the options would allow you to go from grimy low fantasy where a demon will wreck poo poo to absurd high fantasy where there are demons rampaging all around and your nation's hero/ine can take on entire armies by themselves.

I'd also love a Bronze Age game.

Dramicus posted:

I think it's ironic that TNO will likely come closer to simulating a cold war game than paradox ever has. And those guys are all sorts of batshit crazy.

TNO?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

cool another game no one wants or will play like imperator instead of just giving us that vicky

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The New Order. Alt history mod of an Axis victory in WW2 where the world is just absolutely insane and getting into a nuclear war ends the game by deleting provinces one by one.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
pdox is afraid to make v3 because they know it cant deliver to expectations

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sampatrick posted:

pdox is afraid to make v3 because they know it cant deliver to expectations

????

just combine vicky 2 with vicky1's pop system and bam done

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Imperators pop system is really a great base for vicky 3 so if it isn't that... they hosed up

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mantis42 posted:

cool another game no one wants or will play like imperator instead of just giving us that vicky

i don't think the majority of people who actually buy paradox's games give a gently caress about vicky

granted, the majority are dumb

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Betting/hoping the new game will be a fantasy-themed game.

1) They explicitly said it's not Vicky 3
2) Every other property isn't yet abandoned
3) Endless Legend and Total War: Warhammer prove this market segment is real and Paradox hasn't given it a proper grand strategy go yet

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

No idea what it is but nice to see Paradox making a new game; odds-on I will buy it.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Gamerofthegame posted:

i don't think the majority of people who actually buy paradox's games give a gently caress about vicky

granted, the majority are dumb

This is me, literally no interest in Vicky 3 :v:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The New Order. It's a mod for HoI4 that focuses on post-ww2 where Germany won and is in a 3-way cold war with the Free West under the USA, and Japan's Asian bloc. The mod treats direct war between the major powers as a game-over state. Most combat is supposed to be done with coups, volunteers and lendlease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That actually sounds awesome lol. The least interesting part of HOI4 is the war and I don't mean that sarcastically.