Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

A big flaming stink posted:

rakdos aristocats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rrXR6n0RTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

80s James Hetfield posted:

The only problem with Standard is that it gets old really fast. I enjoy it and rotation when it happens comes with it but it seems like the second it goes live on Arena it's so over saturated by the time we get to the first live event the majority of the decks are out there and tuned (maybe not to perfection but close)

I loved when a set dropped on Friday and there was a GP (lol) or Open that Saturday and the tournament was jank central but it seems to get solved pretty fast

arena is like the only place to play mtg where you can just play whatever stupid bullshit you like and the matchmaking will match you with other stupid bullshit so i don't really get this

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
So whats the best version of Fires of Invention?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
- Commander 2020 is perhaps the best received Commander set ever.

gently caress. THIS. GUY.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Toshimo posted:

- Commander 2020 is perhaps the best received Commander set ever.

gently caress. THIS. GUY.

Don't sign your posts.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Bugsy posted:

So whats the best version of Fires of Invention?

I'm loving my Grixis version because Nicol Bolas is the poo poo when you're playing so many other planeswalkers with him.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

The monoblack deck is called Unlucky Fried Kitten, end of.

It's called, "the aristocats!" duh!

E:F, B.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've seen Jeskai walkers, but I think Temur can do some stuff, especially when you can draw lots of cards with stuff like 4-mana chandra and escape to the wilds and Hydroid Krasis. You also get to play Questing Beast and/or Shifting Ceratops and Fae of Wishes. It should be worth a try at least.

I'm not sure how much ramp you should have though. I think I definitely want Risen Reef in there, and maybe Cavalier as well, but I'm not sure if I also want the 0/3 for turn 3 fires and elemental synergy, or if I want incubation druid because I can tap my lands to adapt it after playing my free spells and make bigger krasi. Turn 3 Fires + Risen Reef can lead to double 5-drops on turn 4. This could be the new "turn 3 nissa"

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

The only problem with Standard is that it gets old really fast. I enjoy it and rotation when it happens comes with it but it seems like the second it goes live on Arena it's so over saturated by the time we get to the first live event the majority of the decks are out there and tuned (maybe not to perfection but close)

I loved when a set dropped on Friday and there was a GP (lol) or Open that Saturday and the tournament was jank central but it seems to get solved pretty fast

this started happening long before arena my dude. i cant even remember the last time a format was actually solved on week one.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Speaking of standard, here's a brew of the day:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2307998#paper

Improbable Alliance, good? Seems... improbable

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

No Opt?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Improbable Alliance is really good!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Improbable Alliance is a very good card, it just needs a home. It's two mana and does some powerful stuff.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I finally decided to do the play any cards standard event, and while I hated the simic ramp mirror matches I had, BR Knights has been a lot of fun. Unless I find something I like better next weekend, I think that's what I'll be building toward.

Edit: Oops, wrong thread, but there's obviously some crossover anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 30, 2019

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like if you're playing Teferi, it should probably be a 4-of because it does really powerful things that you want as much as possible. I've almost never hated having multiple teferis in my hand.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

this started happening long before arena my dude. i cant even remember the last time a format was actually solved on week one.

ever since they reduced set sizes after llorwyn, standard has become incredibly stale and uncreative. now i play it because arena makes me feel all tingly seeing numbers go up and unlocking wings for my fire cat.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

I go back and forth on Opt. The plus side is obvious, but the downside is that it's frequently an effective sorcery since you're often going to need to cast it on your turn to proc your stuff since it's only a draw-one, and Opt is much worse as a sorcery. I'd almost rather play merchant of the veil

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Standard is fine atm, it's still evolving and there are literal flavors of the day. We'll see what happens when it settles down, but any blanket statement this early on while this much is happening is extremely silly.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The smallest standards tend to be the best standards. See how much better GRN standard was than Esper Standard(RNA) or Teferi, Time Raveler Standard(WAR) or Scapeshift-Field Standard(M20)

Jeskai control was much, much more interesting to play against than RNA's esper control.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lawnie posted:

Questing beast is not as good as bloodbraid elf and doesn’t replace it directly. I think it’s a potential sideboard card for Jund though. It seems more like Thrun than BBE or Huntmaster.

It can be. Unlike BBE it can kill and upticked LotV the on the play, and make the sac option impossible on the draw...I would be willing to try one.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jund does not need to be teched against itself.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Panzeh posted:

The smallest standards tend to be the best standards. See how much better GRN standard was than Esper Standard(RNA) or Teferi, Time Raveler Standard(WAR) or Scapeshift-Field Standard(M20)

Jeskai control was much, much more interesting to play against than RNA's esper control.

control without counters is always going to be more interesting than control with 8-12 maindeck counterspells.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Have you thought about Risk Factor?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Risk Factor is really only a mono red card imo, the problem is that in a deck that even further rewards drawing additional cards it literally just reads 2R: four damage to face, which is only mediocre

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A Moose posted:

control without counters is always going to be more interesting than control with 8-12 maindeck counterspells.

RNA Esper control and jeskai both played counterspells, it's just jeskai's answer cards were a lot more limited, so they actually had to kill you.

Permission control isn't that bad to play against anyway, it's mostly what esper did in RNA that was obnoxious.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Jeskai was a more fun control deck because you got to play Niv-Mizzet

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Lost to a Witch's Oven + Sorcerer's Broom combo in draft today, and like all Magic players who claim something is powerful based on one (1) limited experience with it, I'm ready to declare it as... maybe good if the format really is durdle-y?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/4stripmine/status/1178874847767564288?s=19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

-- Ayara, First of Locthwain

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Improbable Alliance is a very good card, it just needs a home. It's two mana and does some powerful stuff.

I just won a prerelease on the back of Improbable Alliance with Herald's Banner. A stream of 1/1 fliers is annoying, but a stream of 2/1 fliers loving kills you.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My opponent conceded right before I could resolve my 7 CMC bear adventure with a lucky clover out. :( I was going to have so many bears.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

My opponent conceded right before I could resolve my 7 CMC bear adventure with a lucky clover out. :( I was going to have so many bears.

drat, your opponent is a jerk, couldn't they just grin and bear it for another turn?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That would have been quite the grizzly fate

more precisely, it would have been 1.5 Grizzly Fates

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

That would have been quite the grizzly fate

more precisely, it would have been 1.5 Grizzly Fates

unless he had threshold, then it would be .75 Grizzly Fates, or .375 if you count the flashback, and also Grizzly Fate is a hosed up magic card and way better than Flaxen Intruder.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Played a bunch on monoblack on arena last night, seems strong and coincidentally likely to survive into an environment that has devotion.

With Ayara and Cauldron Familiar being good, this might be a good time for Bloodthirsty Aerialist.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

logis posted:

If anyone has zany stories, tell them!

Killed an opponent on turn 4 with Embercleave, through a Queen of Ice adventure. :fyadride:

edit: this was the prerelease - curve was Venerable Knight, into Inspiring Veteran, into Rimrock Knight (plus Adventure), into messed up mythic rare. I'm really tempted to jam it into my (Legacy) cube as more top end for mono red, although I'm also considering Torbran.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 1, 2019

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Unless they turned those lands into creatures, what's the big deal?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Esper Doom Foretold?

Don't you mean Manse Dance Revolution?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

I managed to get 2 lucky clovers out and then used rosethorn ritual to get me to 7 mana for 9 bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I've been playing Naya Giants Ramp and it kind of eats T3feri alive

It's a very, very good feeling