Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Huh, that's odd. Are there some chapters missing in the colored scans? I could have sworn there was one chapter that showed Stephen's backstory and how Lucy's kindness saved him, as well as another chapter about Johnny's flashback where he was being compared to Diego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bonus points will be awarded for identifying what movie Valentine's flashback rips off.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah it's interesting to consider what events did or didn't happen to allow the alt diego to develop his 'own' stand, but the existence of it implies something was VERY different in how things played out. i'm also of the mind that maybe the base diego would have been content at the end of it all without needing to dominate others, but we'll never know.
Yeah, he probably would have just been content with his winnings, because some of the really bad things he's said to have done like being a Bluebeard just stays as hearsay and the worst we actually see him do like screwing over Wekapipo and letting him die was more out of callous self-preservation instead of active malice like World Diego and DIO do on the regular. He's more of a dark anti-hero compared to the other Dios who are unabashedly horrible people.

Funky Valentine posted:

Bonus points will be awarded for identifying what movie Valentine's flashback rips off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtHjV4c4uw

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 30, 2019

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

threw this into my sbr playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMSFqXGZ5TQ

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ChaosArgate posted:

There was a really great take on this from multijoe in the old manga thread.

Big, big fan of the line "the flaw in his ball."

I think that was Shakespeare?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Big, big fan of the line "the flaw in his ball."

I think that was Shakespeare?

Yes yes it was terrible prose I'll be the first to cop to that

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

question I don’t have an answer for: would you recommend SBR as someone’s first JoJo part? I feel like there’s a lot of context from past arcs even if they aren’t directly impacting the story, and not sure how well much of it would land without previous incarnations of characters as a reference point

Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 1, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Crusader posted:

question I don’t have an answer for: would you recommend SBR as someone’s first JoJo part? I feel like there’s a lot of context from past arcs even if they aren’t directly impacting the story, and not sure how well much of it would land without previous incarnations of characters a reference point

I don't know I'd recommend it as a first JoJo if there's an assumption that they might go back and read other parts, but I'd totally recommend SBR as a singular manga to someone with no interest in the franchise as a whole.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

goose, noooo

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i think im just a simple person

when there's dio in a story

i love the dio

give me a dio spinoff

gimme into the dioverse

edit : a dozen dios doing dastardly deeds

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zyla posted:

goose, noooo

Goose was the one dragging the Holy Corpse across America, it's doing God's work

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

multijoe posted:

Goose was the one dragging the Holy Corpse across America, it's doing God's work

goose just gonna throw it in the lake and give some catfish a stand

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

as a person with significant anxiety, i relate a lot to stephen steel

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zyla posted:

goose just gonna throw it in the lake and give some catfish a stand

Catfish are too docile to have a Stand, it's like Holly.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Waffleman_ posted:

Catfish are too docile to have a Stand, it's like Holly.

Only in winter.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Zyla posted:

i love the dio

give me a dio spinoff

gimme into the dioverse

Boy, have I got the fighting game for you! :v:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Zyla posted:

i love the dio

give me a dio spinoff

gimme into the dioverse

a diorama

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Had my first steel ball run like a month or two before this actually started and I have to say it is much stronger on a reread. The corpse chase is such a huge swerve the first time through. It's very sudden how Johnny figured out that's the entire point of the race and that's what he needs to do now. and there's this expectation I had that the way things were before that would come back somehow. I was kind of paying the most attention to the wrong threads. So this ending where Johnny gets to defeat funny Valentine but gets absolutely nothing else he wanted was difficult to accept.

I understand it better but I still wanted Johnny and gyro to ride off into the sunset. Maybe things work out in all the timelines where the race is about diamonds.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

steel ball run is the story of a petty bitch and his husband as they travel across the country to fight the jingoistic president of the united states and accept jesus into their hearts and i wouldn't have it any other way

except those parts. i could do without those parts.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I didn't like all the parts where Johnny forgot he could shoot his toenails. The rest of it was good.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

amigolupus posted:

Huh, that's odd. Are there some chapters missing in the colored scans? I could have sworn there was one chapter that showed Stephen's backstory and how Lucy's kindness saved him, as well as another chapter about Johnny's flashback where he was being compared to Diego.

I haven’t gone back to check but there was definitely at least one early interlude missing from the color version

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Zyla posted:

as a person with significant anxiety, i relate a lot to stephen steel

Stephen rules. Him and Lucy being part of the few good people in this story serves as a nice contrast to the rest of the morally gray characters.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I didn't like all the parts where Johnny forgot he could shoot his toenails. The rest of it was good.

Sadly, there's not enough space between his toes for Johnny to spin his toenails. :( I liked the sequence in Scary Monsters where he lifted his legs with his hands while sliding down the grate.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Johnny got his desire to live again and his dad made amends with him. He also saved the world from Valentine and The World Diego, so it's a bittersweet ending.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 1, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I would argue Johnny doesn't make amend with his dad and his dad still loving sucks and that's the point. All we see of his dad is him holding up Nicholas' boots at the end, and then it cuts to Johnny loving leaving the entire continent. There is no panel where they're actually together. Johnny's dad only cares about him now because Johnny is on the world'state as a Steel Ball Run finalist, and he now sees Johnny as a worthy son, but gently caress that what a horribly abusive and manipulative action. Johnny has "earned" his father's love again, but Johnny has found so much more to care about now and couldn't give less of a poo poo.

He's returned to zero and is determined not to slide back.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually do like a lot that we don't see a direct scene of them interacting near the end, if it happens at all, because so much poo poo happened between them that it'd feel cheap for it to just be kinda weirdly washed away in some form

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I feel like all of that goes with after Johnny thinking that he doesn't have a good relationship with his dad because he's a bad person. Then we see George show up and make his strained relationship and "forgiveness" with Johnny into a public display, and he's just kind of "eh :/" about it. He's come really far.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Hemingway To Go! posted:

So this ending where Johnny gets to defeat funny Valentine but gets absolutely nothing else he wanted was difficult to accept.

I mean, he learned to walk which is precisely what he wanted from the race in the first place.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATMR5ettHz8

a thing i really enjoy is tusk in general, and part of that is because some of part 7 comes off like araki wanted another go at stuff he's done before but wanted to incorporate it better. i've never been a huge fan of how echoes turns out in part 4, mainly due to act 3, so to see an act stand get enough focus throughout an entire part for it to feel like a real progression over time and also stay as a relatively focused power was dope as hell.

also there's something cathartic about act 4 being what is probably the most outright offensive stand in the entire series, but it actually feels like it's used well in how it needs to be powered in a certain way that makes some sort of relatively weird pseudosciencey kinda sense which fits in with jojo as a whole. like i've always hated how the end of part 5 just kind of revolves around the whole dumb as hell requiem stand thing and giorno just sort of wins. like tusk act 4 is legit just 'if i shoot you you're probably going to die and god help you but nothing in this world or any other world you crawl to is going to save you' but the framing and buildup actually justifies it.

tusk is such a loving good stand

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

tiistai posted:

I mean, he learned to walk which is precisely what he wanted from the race in the first place.

yeah i'd call this a pretty big win for johnny

he can walk and has phenomenal cosmic power now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Why don't you ask him if he's going to stay?
Why don't you ask him if he's going away?
Why don't you tell me what's going on?
Why don't you tell me who's on the phone?
Why don't you ask him what's going on?
Why don't you ask him who's the latest on his throne?
Don't say that you love me
Just tell me that you want me
Tusk
Just say that you want me
Just tell me that you
Tusk
Tusk
Tusk

Real savage-like...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

What is this stand going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my posts, what's it going to do to me?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

sirtommygunn posted:

What is this stand going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my posts, what's it going to do to me?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Johnny Joestar posted:

tusk is such a loving good stand

It's my favorite Stand, by far, because it's introduced as a very simple power, and once you get used to seeing that specific power another even wackier one is layered on top of it, and so on, until you see a very logical and consistent evolution from, "this guy can make his fingernails spin around" to, "this guy can break through dimensional barriers, move around when time is stopped, create perpetual motion at the molecular level, you name it".

You very clearly see Tusk evolving, and each step of that evolution is earned through hardship and self-actualization during moments of deep personal crisis. New Acts of Tusk manifest when Johnny grows as a person and when he uses that growth to act. In any other manga (including JoJo's Bizarre Adventure at some point), power is obtained when you're sufficiently angry or determined, but in Steel Ball Run power is earned through growth, and those who try to find shortcuts around this rule end up dead. Even Valentine, who underwent profound personal growth (in his own way) and obtained D4C was defeated after believing that the Corpse gave him infinite power for no other reason than the fact that he possessed it. Gyro said it himself: you have to pay your respects.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

johnny realizes act 3 of tusk by literally shooting himself in the loving head and if that isn't some visual metaphor right there i have no idea what could be

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Lucy Steel - I hate everything that happens to her (child bride, various forms of sexual menace, weird magic pregnancy) but I adore everything she does (learning lip reading to spy on folks, stabbing Valentine in the loving throat, carrying around a severed head for the express purpose of loving disintegrating Diego. Also I liked Diego. I was rooting for him (Dino Diego, not The World Diego), even though he was a shithead. Also Hot Pants was cool.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The chapter where Valentine is cutting a deal with Johnny is so good. I had remembered it as stopping after Johnny said "No, that wont be the same Gyro!" but it kept going and you could tell Johnny didnt really give a gently caress about that technicality and he was desperate for a way to get any Gyro back. That puts such a nice wrinkle on what would normally be a cliche scene.

Also that chapter went to the extreme with the little symbols in the speech bubbles, which was making me laugh even though it was supposed to be a tense and emotional moment.

"Shoot me with another bullet spinning in the opposite direction (+)"
"The spins will cancel each other out (+ / -)"
"And it should stop the infinite rotation (SToP)"
"I promise (A golden placard that says 'promise')"

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

so sick